Rex Ryan expects the Bills to make huge offer for #2.

PIZ

26 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I'm guessing it's the realization none of those future draft picks means anything if we don't have a great QB, anyway. 

yeah maybe I have been convinced by posts on here. Have read a lot of that logic. Can't say the comparisons to 2004 didn't' help that either (that is, the next level down won't be nearly as good).

I hate to admit it....part of it is also me being a jelly lil biotch, wanting to leapfrog the jets and stick it to them. God I hate the jets.

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

You make a good point that it's not just about the qb but also the overall roster. So there is an intermediate solution to this issue: trade up but only as far as it takes to get one of the top tier qbs. Instead of trading with the Giants for the two spot it would make more sense to deal with the Colts at the six spot. The assumption is that there will still be on the board one of the top tier qb prospects. If all of them are taken then keep your picks and use them to bolster the roster. 

In every draft there are unexpected twists and turns. I wouldn't be surprised if a number of the top drafting teams decide to pick for other positions resulting in some qbs falling down the board. My point is that this isn't an all or nothing gung ho strategy for a qb. I'm confident that this regime that has demonstrated good judgment will make their calculations and come out with a smart decision. 

Completely agree.  I could see trading 12 & 22 and maybe 53 to move up.  I would have to think VERY hard before I'd give up more, but it depends who is left aft pick 3 - I can't see any way to get to 2 without depleting too many picks for a team desperately in need of new talent at some key positions including LB and WR.

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Completely agree.  I could see trading 12 & 22 and maybe 53 to move up.  I would have to think VERY hard before I'd give up more, but it depends who is left aft pick 3 - I can't see any way to get to 2 without depleting too many picks for a team desperately in need of new talent at some key positions including LB and WR.

There is another aspect to the trade up scenario that hasn't too often been mentioned that involves the perspective of the teams wanting to move down for more picks. One the one hand there isn't a team that is as good of a candidate to move up that has more ammo than us. On the other side of the equation teams that might want to move down such as Denver and the Colts will be competing with one another for bidders for their draft spot. The dynamic/incentive is that because those teams are competing with each other to complete a deal with a prospective team it will lower the price. Think of it as a supply/demand issue. 

I just don't see a deal being consummated until the day of the draft because it would be foolish for us to jump the gun because there is a chance that more teams than expected in front of us will eschew qbs and take positional players. That will only enhance our bargaining position if we decide to go in that direction. It's very probably that a qb or two on our wanted list will slide. The lower they slide the better the deal for us. 

5 hours ago, papazoid said:

draft picks = salary cap space

if you trade away a draft pick.......you still have the salary cap space to sign a free agent

draft picks are riskier than free agents

conclusion: don't worry so much about all the draft picks it takes to move up to #2

working pretty well for philly and the rams

Philly is a poor example.  After they made the trade up for Wentz, they recouped most of those picks by unloading the then-expendable Bradford to the desperate Vikes.