None of These QB's Should Get the Hype

Irv

This is sick.  There are no obvious Kelly's, Elway's, Luck's, P. Manning's, Newton's, in this draft.  Too many folks are QB drunk.  That includes a lot of folks on this board.  When the draft is so clearly unknown in the top 1-10 that has to tell you that these QB's are not like the premier guys from the past.  I trust OBD brass to know that.   What do you think?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

What about Rudolph?  He should be hyped, right?

Just now, Lfod said:

So your saying we should power slam them all through burning tables?

I say give it a shot, can't hurt.  JP Losman may not have been any better after being slammed through a table...but he wouldn't have been any worse, either.

I think you need to take shots to find a guy. Pointing out none appear to be as good as some of the best QB’s in the last 30 years is missing the point. Do you have a better idea? 

5 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

What about Rudolph?  He should be hyped, right?

I say give it a shot, can't hurt.  JP Losman may not have been any better after being slammed through a table...but he wouldn't have been any worse, either.

That might have been the most fun I ever had watching JP. Make the most out of a bad situation! 

13 minutes ago, Irv said:

This is sick.  There are no obvious Kelly's, Elway's, Luck's, P. Manning's, Newton's, in this draft.  Too many folks are QB drunk.  That includes a lot of folks on this board.  When the draft is so clearly unknown in the top 1-10 that has to tell you that these QB's are not like the premier guys from the past.  I trust OBD brass to know that.   What do you think?

I’ll give you Elway and Luck, but why is it obvious that the other guys were better prospects?

3 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

I’ll give you Elway and Luck, but why is it obvious that the other guys were better prospects?

Exactly, no one is a lock until they prove it. That doesn't mean you dismiss all top prospects because of this. 

40 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

Excellent point.

P Manning was essentially a nobody coming out of Tennessee.  Huge risk.

Jim Kelly? Didn't move the needle at all before the draft.  I mean, he was Florida so most teams up north wouldn't even think of drafting him.

Newton was some JUCO project.

• Haha (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Irv said:

Well, you bring up a good point.  But, we still have 5 weeks before the draft and 5 more weeks of the process.  IF today was the draft and there was no clear cut #1 or #2 I think your thought would or will be a legitimate concern.

Good point!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Irv said:

I think you should start less topics.   

I completely disagree.  nobody knew that those QBs you mentioned were gonna be as good as they became.  Nobody steps up to the podium and says "with the first pick in the NFL draft the.......select, future hall of famer........".  Nobody truly knows how a player is gonna pan out.  They were exactly like this draft class.  They all had potential to be great QBs, which they were.  The fact is that you truly don't know until you see them play for a few years.  And now the same goes for this class.  At least 4-5 of them have the potential to be great QBs.  But we won't know until years to come.  I for one am excited to see how many of these QBs thrive in the NFL.

Edited by Circlethewagon8404

2 hours ago, Irv said:

I think it's a rare group.

Sometimes you have drafts where guys like Gabbert and Ponder get pushed up the board because of need.............but 4 of the top 5 this year have all been on the NFL's franchise QB prospect radar for at least 2 seasons each.

In the case of Rosen, him being a first round QB has been a virtual certainty since he was in HS. 

Mayfield is the exception because of his size and low pedigree but he's actually been playing lights out for years now and has just gradually overcome a lot of the stigma related to his size/pedigree/non-ideal offense in a poor-pass defense conference..

There isn't really a one hit wonder like JP Losman in this group.    

Josh Allen has the least to show in college for his talent but he'd probably have gone in round 1 LAST year.... in what was a decent QB class.  

They deserve the hype..........no surprises here.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Irv said:

I checked the names of the QBs in the draft and indeed you are correct sir. There are only obvious Rosen's, Darnold's, Allen's, Mayfield's and Jackson's. 

Jim Kelly isn't in this draft. He's retired. Luck's still on the Colts so he can't be in the draft. Newton still is the starting QB for the Panthers so he is not in the draft. 

Edited by Lfod

3 hours ago, Irv said:

Trade up and take one of the Three. 

Case closed end of story. Address the most critical position on the field with a TOP END Prospect 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This thread made me think about something I have been wondering for a little while.

Last year it seemed like everyone (not Bills fans, but media and fans in general) were saying it wasn't a good QB class, teams should wait until next year, which is going to be a great QB class. And then we get to this year and now I have often heard people saying how great Trubisky and Mahomes and Watson are going to be and I don't know if there is a guy in this year's class as good. What happened? Yes, Watson and Trubisky got to play a bit, so maybe people are higher on them now than when they were drafted, although Trubisky did go #2 overall...and I know a lot of people do like the QBs this year...but it was this overall narrative that last year's class wasn't going to be good and this one would be, but now that it's here it's not as good as last year's class. And then we're told next year's QB class is not going to be good, which only makes me think that by draft day next year it will be the second coming of the '83 class to some people. Just makes me think that no one has any idea when it comes to projecting college QBs into the Pros.

1 hour ago, folz said:

This thread made me think about something I have been wondering for a little while.

Last year it seemed like everyone (not Bills fans, but media and fans in general) were saying it wasn't a good QB class, teams should wait until next year, which is going to be a great QB class. And then we get to this year and now I have often heard people saying how great Trubisky and Mahomes and Watson are going to be and I don't know if there is a guy in this year's class as good. What happened? Yes, Watson and Trubisky got to play a bit, so maybe people are higher on them now than when they were drafted, although Trubisky did go #2 overall...and I know a lot of people do like the QBs this year...but it was this overall narrative that last year's class wasn't going to be good and this one would be, but now that it's here it's not as good as last year's class. And then we're told next year's QB class is not going to be good, which only makes me think that by draft day next year it will be the second coming of the '83 class to some people. Just makes me think that no one has any idea when it comes to projecting college QBs into the Pros.

A lot of the talking heads were just plain wrong about last year's class. The league liked it better than them and a lot of the younger non traditional network  guys liked it better as well. 

That said I think Josh Rosen is a better prospect than anyone last year and there is much more QB depth in this class. I have 10 definite draftable guys this year and 7 of those in the first two days. Last year I had 7 draftable guys total and only 4 in the first two days. 

This is a good class. "Best since 2004 / 1983"? Who knows? Too early to say. But it's a deep class with some good prospects. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Well when youve been in a QB black hole for many many years...and you have the picks to move up...of course people will be clamoring about getting a QB.  This by no means a trash class of QBs.  

People need to stop comparing QB classes to 83.  Its a different time and a different game now.

• Thank you (+1) 1