Will we see a Gronk / Tre' White Rule?

Allowing officials an opportunity to eject players after replay.

While the NFL won’t be adopting a targeting rule like the college ranks, the competition committee has put forth a proposal that would give referees the opportunity to eject a player after reviewing a play. Rob Gronkowski’s late hit that concussed Tre’Davious White is the most recent example of a case where this would have been implemented.

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2018/3/26/17157044/nfl-annual-league-meeting-2018-updates-catch-rule

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Zebrastripes said:

Dont forget about the Mike Evans play as well.  Instead of just reviewing after the play though they should go all the way and adopt the college targeting rule.

Gronks hit deserved an ejection. 

Talk about unprotected player. (sorry if I got the term wrong). 

• Like (+1) 3

If the Gronkowski head blow would have taken place on a public street or in the hallway of a shopping mall..he would have been charged with felony assault.That hit still makes me sick  ...in addition,White could have sued him for pain and suffering.

Edited by Misterbluesky
  • Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Gronks hit deserved an ejection. 

Talk about unprotected player. (sorry if I got the term wrong). 

I don't disagree with you at all.  I just think they need to take it a step further and adopt the targeting rule.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Zebrastripes said:

I don't disagree with you at all.  I just think they need to take it a step further and adopt the targeting rule.

I don’t watch college football so I am unfamiliar with their rules.  

If the intent is to punish intent then I could be all for it. 

17 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Gronk, while arguably the best talent to play TE. Yes, over Gonzo/Sharp. That being said, I wont ever look at him the same.

That play forever changed his legacy in the game for me.

He is talented but a big goof.  

The refs turning a blind eye on the Pats added to this flagrant foul going unpunished during the game.  

The spoiled kid cries loudest when he’s called out.  

• Like (+1) 1

he plays a big dufus. but he is a grown man. long past forgiveness for being naive or "enthusiastic and caught up in the game"
Ejection was demanded and suspension should have been obvious.

Compare it to the Landry hit on Williams.

That could have been misconstrued as a football play. It wasn't. It was a bang bang with a man determined to hit the player. and if that wasn''t just awful enough.
 Now we have a player laying down out of bounds , play over and he is clearly trying to hurt a TOTALLY defenseless player.
he should be banned from the league.

I mean that is just amazingingly bad how the NFL handled that.
and they likely will again..

and yes, i am holding onto that event that ruins the intent of the sport, and still pissed.

13 minutes ago, mannc said:

Not even arguable.  

But he is a dirt bag.

its arguable for sure.
He is just un coverable due to unique strength and size.
Gonzalez was a far better TE obviously.

that is not to say Robert does not have some serious skills at his craft.

Like pushing off..

jk

13 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

he plays a big dufus. but he is a grown man. long past forgiveness for being naive or "enthusiastic and caught up in the game"
Ejection was demanded and suspension should have been obvious.

Compare it to the Landry hit on Williams.

That could have been misconstrued as a football play. It wasn't. It was a bang bang with a man determined to hit the player. and if that wasn''t just awful enough.
 Now we have a player laying down out of bounds , play over and he is clearly trying to hurt a TOTALLY defenseless player.
he should be banned from the league.

I mean that is just amazingingly bad how the NFL handled that.
and they likely will again..

and yes, i am holding onto that event that ruins the intent of the sport, and still pissed.

Instead he got a fine equivalent to a slap on the hand.  

1 hour ago, Misterbluesky said:

Wasn't a hockey player charged with assault before because of a stick incident?

28 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

Was McSorley one of them?

I remember McSorley  getting a big suspension but it might've been Bertruzzi with the assault charge. Can't say for sure, too lazy to google :)

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

I remember McSorley  getting a big suspension but it might've been Bertruzzi with the assault charge. Can't say for sure, too lazy to google :)

You're right, it was Bertruzzi.  ??

25 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

In 1969, Wayne Maki of the St. Louis Blues hockey team swung his stick at Boston Bruins player Ted Green and fractured his ... This was the first U.S. case where a player was criminally prosecuted for on-ice violence.
  • Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

its arguable for sure.
He is just un coverable due to unique strength and size.
Gonzalez was a far better TE obviously.

that is not to say Robert does not have some serious skills at his craft.

Like pushing off..

jk

Gonzales was a great receiving TE, but Gronkowski was/is simply unstoppable.  For a decade or more, he’s been the dominant non-QB on the greatest NFL dynasty of all time.  (God, it hurts to write that.)  Gonzalez put up great career receiving numbers, but he never won squat and he never impacted the game like Gronkowski.

9 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Wasn't a hockey player charged with assault before because of a stick incident?

I think an Australian Rules Football player was charged with assault for ‘king’ hitting another player. As punching is against the rules and unsportsmanlike, the guy coping the whack from behind had had enough and pressed charges. 

AFL is rife with these acts.

8 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Instead he got a fine equivalent to a slap on the hand.  

White weighs like 80kg and Gronk 120kg. That’s 150% bigger, a huge differential when hitting... (defenceless...)

if Ted Washington got up some momentum  and dove onto a prone Gronk, all whilst wearing a solid forearm guard... it’s a Merry Melodies cartoon right there.

15 minutes ago, Shamrock said:

White weighs like 80kg and Gronk 120kg. That’s 150% bigger, a huge differential when hitting... (defenceless...)

if Ted Washington got up some momentum  and dove onto a prone Gronk, all whilst wearing a solid forearm guard... it’s a Merry Melodies cartoon right there.

And also maybe a funeral.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Zebrastripes said:

That is exactly the purpose of the rule.

thanks 

1 hour ago, Shamrock said:

Good on ya mate :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

This new rule should be passed and it should be called the Gronk rule.  It's a no brainer like Gronk imo.

I was thinking about this some .....

Or maybe the Tre' White Rule.  Like the Brady rule with hitting below the knee.   

Honor the injured and not the perpetrator 

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Didn't Gronk miss more time than White after that hit?

weeks and weeks later when someone else "legally"  clocked him.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/rob-gronkowski-injury-update-patriots-super-bowl-concussion-eagles-ready-to-roll/gdlzyfdxrr011j6lm0qj538tk

he had 2 weeks to recover for the SB 

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

weeks and weeks later when someone else "legally"  clocked him.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/rob-gronkowski-injury-update-patriots-super-bowl-concussion-eagles-ready-to-roll/gdlzyfdxrr011j6lm0qj538tk

he had 2 weeks to recover for the SB 

Gronk missed a game for his on White, who didn't miss any time as a result of the hit.

16 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

If the Gronkowski head blow would have taken place on a public street or in the hallway of a shopping mall..he would have been charged with felony assault.That hit still makes me sick  ...in addition,White could have sued him for pain and suffering.

To be fair, if a textbook football tackle happened to someone in those locations, they would also likely be charged with a felony assault......

What's the new rule going to be? Big Frat boy d-bags are allowed direct headshots on defenceless players after the whistle? Cause as long as he is in a Pats jersey they wont make a rule that will punish him for doing something......

15 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

McSorely was actually found guilty of assault in a Canadian court.

• Like (+1) 1