What if the Internet and boards like this existed 50 years ago?

If we had had all these Internet "journalists" pontificating on QBs back then, can you imagine what would have been written.  Here's a couple I thought about:

Terry Bradshaw:  strong arm but inaccurate,  cannot process defenses rapidly enough to survive in the NFL, grades out in the 2-3 round

Fran Tarkenton:  gimmick QB who will not survive his first big hit in the NFL,  has to learn how to throw from the pocket if he wants to play in the league

Feel free to add your own

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Terry Bradshaw:  strong arm but inaccurate,  cannot process defenses rapidly enough to survive in the NFL, grades out in the 2-3 round

Here are Bradshaw's career stats:

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD V
Career       168 158 107-51-0 2025 3901 51.9 27989 212 5.4 210 5.4 90 7.2 5.8 13.8 166.6 70.9 307 2694 6.01 4.77 7.3 15 23 137

Other than the W-L record, his gold jacket today would be for Century 21, rather than Canton...

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD V
Career       168 158 107-51-0 2025 3901 51.9 27989 212 5.4 210 5.4 90 7.2 5.8 13.8 166.6 70.9 307 2694 6.01 4.77 7.3 15 23 137

Other than the W-L record, his gold jacket today would be for Century 21, rather than Canton...

212/210 TD/INT ratio? 51 completion percentage? Yuck. Wouldn't last 2 years in today's NFL.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Lurker said:

If you just looked at Namaths stats you would say no way is he HoF worthy...

when you actually watched him you would realize he had the best pocket movement out of any QB of his era and the best deep ball...

first QB to throw for over 4000 yards in a season ... he was definitely HoF worthy though people today say he isn't worth it... he changed the game 

Edited by Buffalo716

14 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

If we had had all these Internet "journalists" pontificating on QBs back then, can you imagine what would have been written.  Here's a couple I thought about:

Fran Tarkenton:  gimmick QB who will not survive his first big hit in the NFL,  has to learn how to throw from the pocket if he wants to play in the league

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Bradshaw was a very average QB who benefited from a elite team around him,

15 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

wondering how Kelly and teammates would have been treated on this board...Kelly was an ass when out drinking...saw him and others out many times ..Reed and Talley in bar fights on Elmwood....many using coke...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Come on.  Have a little fun with it.  

I'm too young for this but I imagine there wasn't much board presence in the 90s,

Dan Marino: does drugs... boy, total rumor, that has to be the worst reason for a slip in the 1st round.. Like, I understand why Aaron Rodgers fell. Super weird release.

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Indy, I love ya, but take like a 4 or 5 week break from the board leading up to the draft.

It's only going to get worse here in the next few weeks in terms of QB prospect talk.

Trans I'm actually trying to have a little fun here as opposed to the endless obsession over what QB to take.

14 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

when you actually watched him you would realize he had the best pocket movement out of any QB of his era and the best deep ball...

first QB to throw for over 4000 yards in a season ... he was definitely HoF worthy though people today say he isn't worth it... he changed the game 

Can't tell the story of the league without him that includes the AFL-NFL bidding war and of course leading the 1st AFL team to a Super Bowl victory with the huge upset of the Colts.

Just now, Chuck Wagon said:

image.jpeg.3e131a4d8d33c3241e42853d51f4343d.jpeg

Have a little fun with it.  Or continue obsessing over your opinions of this years QBs.  Just thought I'd change it up a bit

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Can't tell the story of the league without him that includes the AFL-NFL bidding war and of course leading the 1st AFL team to a Super Bowl victory with the huge upset of the Colts.

I remember the white shoes and that he backpedaled in his drop.  First guy that ever did that.

• Like (+1) 1

DunkirkDave Said:  "My sources tell me Ralph Wilson's strawmen have been buying up land around Orchard Park." 96 pages of ridicule followed.

SaviorDarragh Said:  "I think this Dan Darragh kid has something. With a better offensive line and OJ Simpson behind him he could be a winner."

26BumpAndRun Linked to 18 articles, including "Merger Talks a Pipe Dream for AFL Fans."

SBS warned posters not to try to circumvent the naughty word filter by typing "H@ck if I know what Collier was thinking" and "Kemp is a washed up piece of cr%p"

"Sabanero" (with that little squiggly thing over the n, and with an avatar of Lou Saban in a sombrero) posted snarky comments about BryanRBillz's grammar and usage

And over on BostonPatriotsFanForum, some guy insisted that every poster refer to that 1965 AFL Championship game as the "Billsh!t Victory" as he cheered the end of the Bills Dynasty.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

21 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Namath does not deserve it, and I'll defend that position till my death.

The guy threw more INT's than TD's. Nothing else need be said but that.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

So did HoF George Blanda and YA Tittle... it was a different game 

Edited by Buffalo716

28 minutes ago, nucci said:

wondering how Kelly and teammates would have been treated on this board...Kelly was an ass when out drinking...saw him and others out many times ..Reed and Talley in bar fights on Elmwood....many using coke...

Same here, bunch of clods in public, no question about it.

However, I did a bunch of shots one time  with Dale Hawerchuck, Alex Mogilny and Phillipe Boucher(sp?) at Mickey Rats on Main St when I was at UB. Mogilny bummed a bunch of smokes off me. Nice fellas.

3 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Same here, bunch of clods in public, no question about it.

However, I did a bunch of shots one time  with Dale Hawerchuck, Alex Mogilny and Phillipe Boucher(sp?) at Mickey Rats on Main St when I was at UB. Mogilny bummed a bunch of smokes off me. Nice fellas.

Sabres back then were more fun to drink with...didn't have the arrogance of Bills players

44 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Greatness is relative, always has been 

55 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Great topic oldmanfan! specially for those of us who lived deeply into the two different eras of before / after internet! not only that articular case for the drafts analysis, but for example I couldn't even grasp how would it had been, to come here and read / post during our heroes superbowl run years in the 90s!!

19 minutes ago, MJS said:

Did you watch football in '60s and '70s? Defenses were allowed to play defense....none of this "prior to the pass, holding defense" crap. They didn't call contact penalties on defenses every other play

16 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

So did HoF George Blanda and YA Tittle... it was a different game 

Namath made the HOF because he was the first AFL QB to win a super bowl. That's the only reason.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Namath made the HOF because he was the first AFL QB to win a super bowl. That's the only reason.

He also had the single highest passing yardage season in NFL history at the time ...

what about YA Tittle and George Blanda? Why are they in the HoF with more Picks than TDs

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

anyone against the Vietnam war is a pinko

those japanese cars are garbage and nobody will buy them

in ten years computers will be twice as powerful and ten times larger

1 hour ago, dorquemada said:

anyone against the Vietnam war is a pinko

those japanese cars are garbage and nobody will buy them

in ten years computers will be twice as powerful and ten times larger

That Dick Nixon has a smart crease in his pants and a bright future

General Motors will never get it's commeupance

I like the Cleveland Browns and Buffalo Bills to vie for long term dominance in the AFC