The Process - Now We Know What It Is

An overheard conversation that just might have taken place in April 2017:

McDermott: "If we're ever going to get this team turned around, we'll have to start to getting rid of those bloated veteran contracts that tie our hands."

Beane: "Right. But we're in no position to go full tank here. We're taking over a club that hasn't made the playoffs in a generation. If we tear it apart and tank in 2017, when do we realistically break the playoff drought? 2020? Do you really think we'll still have jobs in 2020 if we don't deliver any results in the next couple seasons? They're really going to keep us around if the playoff drought hits 20 years? Sure, it's the right thing to do, but we gotta live in the real world. In the real world GMs and coaches don't get invited back for running a non-playoff streak to some kind of NFL record."

McDermott: "So what buys us the time we need to get it done right?"

Beane: "Well, a playoff berth at some point in the next couple years would certainly buy us some time ... it kind of resets the clock, doesn't it? I mean, if we break that playoff thing, we won't have that double-digit drought hanging over our heads and maybe we can do this the right way."

McDermott: "You mean tear it down, dump all those bad veteran contracts or let them expire, and be ready to compete with our guys on good contracts in 2020?"

Beane: "Yeah. Well, maybe start turning the corner in 2020, and really competing in 2021. Let's see, by my calculations those guys in Boston will be in their 70s and mid-40s by then too, so the timing kind of works, doesn't it?"

McDermott: "Let's do it.  I like this Hidden Tank thing. You make the playoffs one year, you get a free pass on a 4-12 or 5-11 the next couple years. It's genius. I love you, man."

Beane: "I love you man too."

• Sad 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
19 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

An overheard conversation that just might have taken place in April 2017:

McDermott: "If we're ever going to get this team turned around, we'll have to start to getting rid of those bloated veteran contracts that tie our hands."

Beane: "Right. But we're in no position to go full tank here. We're taking over a club that hasn't made the playoffs in a generation. If we tear it apart and tank in 2017, when do we realistically break the playoff drought? 2020? Do you really think we'll still have jobs in 2020 if we don't deliver any results in the next couple seasons? They're really going to keep us around if the playoff drought hits 20 years? Sure, it's the right thing to do, but we gotta live in the real world. In the real world GMs and coaches don't get invited back for running a non-playoff streak to some kind of NFL record."

McDermott: "So what buys us the time we need to get it done right?"

Beane: "Well, a playoff berth at some point in the next couple years would certainly buy us some time ... it kind of resets the clock, doesn't it? I mean, if we break that playoff thing, we won't have that double-digit drought hanging over our heads and maybe we can do this the right way."

McDermott: "You mean tear it down, dump all those bad veteran contracts or let them expire, and be ready to compete with our guys on good contracts in 2020?"

Beane: "Yeah. Well, maybe start turning the corner in 2020, and really competing in 2021. Let's see, by my calculations those guys in Boston will be in their 70s and mid-40s by then too, so the timing kind of works, doesn't it?"

McDermott: "Let's do it.  I like this Hidden Tank thing. You make the playoffs one year, you get a free pass on a 4-12 or 5-11 the next couple years. It's genius. I love you, man."

I like most of this but, we are trying to both compete and really compete in 2019.  If we find the QB in this draft, we can be Super Bowl Champs in the 2019 season.  That is how quick the timeline changes when you find a great QB.  Also I think this team is in the playoff hunt again next season.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

I am taking some of the humor out of it, but I sort of agree.

2017 was the wrong year to tank. I was very outspoken against the Watkins and Darby trade at the time. I cited the fact that our dead cap situation would be terrible in 2018. 

Well, I can't say that I loved every move, but I agree that getting the playoffs resets the clock and gets rid of the Sword of Damocles hanging over our head.

Where I differ from you is when we would really compete again. I think this year is too much of a rebuilding one. We've gotten rid of a lot of contracts, we don't have a franchise QB (or a bridge QB ATM) and I think there are so many new faces incoming that it will likely take a year to gel. However, in 2019 we will have gobs of cap space. Assuming we hit on a franchise QB in this draft and we see where our holes are, I can see us seriously compering in 2019

"The process" is to build a winning team, with an emphasis on team.  It's really that simple.  I know most here love to make fun of it, but it really is simple in theory and difficult and painful to execute.  So far, they have done a stellar job in my opinion.  They have to make some really tough decisions and don't worry about some of the fragile fans who boohoo losing big name players.  I am so excited for the draft and beyond, where's the countdown to the home opener thread?  Let's GO!!!!

Edited by ricojes
  • Like (+1) 1

Hitting on a QB, fill some holes in free agency and the draft makes them contenders for another playoff spot this year.

If referring to just making the playoffs is considered "tanking" from a look back from the future, that would mean we will be super bowl contenders and maybe even winners sometime soon. I will take this version of "tanking" any day.

Edited by OutOfBubbleGum

always try to win. they took over an 7-9 team and kept most of the roster. drafted well and signed some great free agents. it's people who thought they couldnt draft or sign effective free agents or hoped they couldnt who thought we were tanking

Beane's process has to do with the kind of roster he wants to build, how he wants to manage the cap, and so on.

McD's process has to do with how he prepares the team, what kind of culture he wants to create, how they practice, etc.

The two  processes are related but not the same.  

I don't how much of a timeline there is on this.  Usually "process" guys say it'll happen when it happens.  You do the work and trust the results will follow.   

Man ... why does it always have to be TANK or SUPERBOWL with every thread.

They're trying to build through the draft. That's what they have always said and that's what they're doing. No tanking, no mortgaging the future.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Man ... why does it always have to be TANK or SUPERBOWL with every thread.

They're trying to build through the draft. That's what they have always said and that's what they're doing. No tanking, no mortgaging the future.

Good post!

1 hour ago, White Linen said:

Wouldn't it be I love you too man?  I'm not sure this actually happened now.

That was a typo of the conversation transcript. He was actually saying “I love you Dorothy Mantooth.”

All we need is to sprinkle in some more talent in key areas which we have started to do in FA. Star, Vontae, Ivory as well as Owu all add depth and experience to positions we were lacking last year. Draft our QB add OL depth add another playmaker at WR and LB and we are ready to be very competitive (pending QB development of course)

No tanking at all.  

We just need to replace the players that leave with better players.  In the case of Glenn, we already have.  In the case if Dareus, well we won without him.  Same with Watkins, Darby, I think Preston Brown goes on that list.  

Lets see see who they bring in from free agency and who they draft.  

The key is who replaces Tyrod.  Like him or not he gave us a chance to win in most games.  

2 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

...McDermott: "Let's do it.  I like this Hidden Tank thing. You make the playoffs one year, you get a free pass on a 4-12 or 5-11 the next couple years. It's genius. I love you, man."

A free pass after going 4-12 for a couple of years, just because they snuck into the playoffs last year?  You’re dreaming!  Back to back nightmare seasons, and they will both be fired along with their “process”.

Edited by LabattBlue

without a reliable QB,  who can actually throw the football,   (ya know,  what QBs are supposed to do)  the process means nothing.

so far so good,  OBD has made logical moves that put the team in a better position for the near future,  but without that QB,  wont mean anything.

2 hours ago, Kwai San said:

The Process is real......there is NO TANKING........The Process is real.......TRUST THE PROCESS. 

So far so good - not a fan of the Ivory deal but everything else is making me smile.

ABSOLUTLEY its real.  Offseason we are making smart moves that put is in contention for a real playoff run-not just a sneak by with help.  With the draft and our projected QB-whomever that is-we are a real team again.  This is how you make anything work long term!

Go BIlls-I am pumped for sure!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bigduke6 said:

without a reliable QB,  who can actually throw the football,   (ya know,  what QBs are supposed to do)  the process means nothing.

so far so good,  OBD has made logical moves that put the team in a better position for the near future,  but without that QB,  wont mean anything.

Color me crazy but for what I have seen so far I am thinking they have a pretty decent plan for the QB.  Now not everyone is gonna like it at first blush but methinks they have a plan....