Is Beane Being Too Careful?

Gugny

The only way he has a long career in the NFL at GM is if he finds a franchise Qb.  Both Mcdermott and Beane know that is the key sustained success and tenure.  That has been the goal all along.  Create cap flexability, and the ability to manuever anywhere in the draft to get not only a franchise Qb but building blocks of the franchise.

6 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

Beane is the Gordon Gecko of the NFL... I think we're lucky to have him... We now have $40million in available 2018 cap space and $100million in available 2019 cap space and soon we'll have a franchise QB... What's not to like? 

Gordon Gecko was a fictional character.

We need aggressive.  We have seen everything but aggressive in the last 20 years. Glenn our best offensive lineman... Nope that would be Incognito even without considering Glenn's chronic foot problems.  Hughes was a great player for us, he also has some problems.  I don't think he is on the table, I will give them the benefit of the doubt if he is. These guys obviously have a vision and they are going for it. I welcome that. We are going to have a down year regardless of what they do. With close to 100 million in cap room for 2019 -- they can finalize the roster to fit their vision.  I prefer this approach to one of fan appeasement and mediocrity,

Irresponsible would be calling them irresponsible for it.

Edited by simool
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, chris heff said:

Gordon Gecko was a fictional character.

It's the attitude. The OP is criticizing Beane as "going rogue". Beane is very aggressive - just like that "fictional character" as you refer to him... He is exactly what this franchise needs from a GM... If this wasn't his 1st year on the job I'd give him a contract extension. He's already earned it in my opinion. Easily the best GM since Polian.

10 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

It is very evident his top priority is getting a franchise QB.

What exactly is irresponsible about that?

Colts did that with Luck.  Worked out awesome so far.

24 minutes ago, Gugny said:

First of all, I'll preface by saying that I've been down with The Process from the beginning.  I got it .. and I get it.

I understood getting rid of Watkins and Woods .. and letting Gillislee walk (to Boston).   But the purge continues with Glenn - our best offensive lineman - and now rumors are swirling about Hughes.

I love stockpiling draft picks, but you can't build a team on potential.  And even if they draft well, in three years, we won't be able to afford anyone.

I feel like he's going rogue and even if we end up with the golden boy QB, we won't be able to surround him with anything but rookies.

Our best offensive lineman has played 16 of the last 48 games...we've already lived without him for the equivalent of 2 full years and done just fine. He cant stay healthy. 

26 minutes ago, Gugny said:

First of all, I'll preface by saying that I've been down with The Process from the beginning.  I got it .. and I get it.

I understood getting rid of Watkins and Woods .. and letting Gillislee walk (to Boston).   But the purge continues with Glenn - our best offensive lineman - and now rumors are swirling about Hughes.

I love stockpiling draft picks, but you can't build a team on potential.  And even if they draft well, in three years, we won't be able to afford anyone.

I feel like he's going rogue and even if we end up with the golden boy QB, we won't be able to surround him with anything but rookies.

The cap will have increased about $30 million in 3 years, and they'll be drafting in those 3 years in order to replace those that would require a big contract to stay. It's only an issue if they totally disregard the salary structure, which i highly doubt will happen.

Just now, billsfan11 said:

What? Lol.

You are saying the Colts shouldn't have picked Luck with the first pick off the board?

I'm pointing out the fact that the Colts still suck.

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Colts did that with Luck.  Worked out awesome so far.

Beane and McDermott have shown a much better eye for talent than Grigson ever did. They're building their own team which means a lot of players from the Rex era have to be flushed out. Every team comes up against the cap eventually, it's a matter of being a Super Bowl contender when that happens. The Eagles are above the cap limit right now but their fans aren't complaining. McBeane has a long term plan and I trust they know what they're doing.

4 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Our best offensive lineman has played 16 of the last 48 games...we've already lived without him for the equivalent of 2 full years and done just fine. He cant stay healthy. 

he's played in 33 of the last 48,  and 65 of the last 80.

• Like (+1) 1

He is simply reshaping the roster to reflect his vision of what a successful football team should be. Why try to win with players drafted by a different regime, especially because we have sucked for 17 years? Whether or not he gets value doesn't matter so much. He is reshaping the roster and kind of rebuilding on the fly. I respect him for having the cajones to move on from Tyrod and Glenn, one was simply never going to better than a below average qb and the other an often injured player. Because we made the playoffs, most other GMs would fold to the pressure to stand pat. While these moves might not be popular amongst the fans, he opened up cap space to surround the quarterback with better players.  

Just now, Gugny said:

I'm pointing out the fact that the Colts still suck.

That has nothing to do with Luck. 

Luck was the only reason they were a playoff team every year. (Look what happened when he was injured this year)

Its because they cant draft worth crap.

A franchise QB cant do it by himself.

But priority number 1 is to find a franchise QB, and then surround him with pieces which will take years. This is not an overnight project