Phins are hot for Mayfield

Rotoworld FootballVerified account @Rotoworld_FB 12m12 minutes ago
Dolphins showing strong interest in Mayfield

Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield will meet with Dolphins officials for dinner next Tuesday in Norman (OK), then work out for the Fins privately after his Pro Day.

The Dolphins' interest in Mayfield hasn't been a secret, and likely also isn't a smokescreen considering their penchant for organizational leaks in recent years. The Fins' intentions are all too often public knowledge. The Dolphins hold the No. 11 overall pick in the draft, and Mayfield probably stands a 50-50 chance or worse of lasting that long. Miami might have to trade up to land him.
Edited by Reed83HOF

6 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Maybe.

One of the reasons clubs leak false information is so that when true information is inadvertently leaked it's hard to distinguish fact from fiction.

True leak?  Fake leak?  Hard to know.

This has had smoke since he said he wanted to play for them in Jan #GetMeToMiami

7 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

This has had smoke since he said he wanted to play for them in Jan #GetMeToMiami

He also went through the whole "Broadway Baker" routine and has said "If anyone can turn the Browns around its me".

Kid has a really good marketing strategy. Appeal to everyone.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

He also went through the whole "Broadway Baker" routine and has said "If anyone can turn the Browns around its me".

Kid has a really good marketing strategy. Appeal to everyone.

I honestly think the dude legit wants to play, believes in himself, and has a chip on his shoulder, kinda like how Aaron Rodgers was angry at his draft day slide, and used it as "f*ck you, I'll show you all" fuel.

Just now, SouthNYfan said:

I honestly think the dude legit wants to play, believes in himself, and has a chip on his shoulder, kinda like how Aaron Rodgers was angry at his draft day slide, and used it as "f*ck you, I'll show you all" fuel.

Oh, I don't doubt his desire at all. He's going to be a good one imo.

I've been saying this for over a week. I think they take Mayfield or Jackson, whichever one's still there.

Teams are moving on from long term players, and this trend will continue with the Dolphins at the QB position.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Oh, I don't doubt his desire at all. He's going to be a good one imo.

Yeah, if he doesn't succeed, it won't be for lack of effort/apathy.

I like the kid.

4 minutes ago, 1billsfan said:

I've been saying this for over a week. I think they take Mayfield or Jackson, whichever one's still there.

Teams are moving on from long term players, and this trend will continue with the Dolphins at the QB position.

Yeah, I think they can cut him and only have like $4.6 of dead cap this year.

I swear to Christ if we stand pat, and the dolphins get Baker, I will lose my sh*t.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:
Rotoworld FootballVerified account @Rotoworld_FB 12m12 minutes ago
Dolphins showing strong interest in Mayfield

Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield will meet with Dolphins officials for dinner next Tuesday in Norman (OK), then work out for the Fins privately after his Pro Day.

The Dolphins' interest in Mayfield hasn't been a secret, and likely also isn't a smokescreen considering their penchant for organizational leaks in recent years. The Fins' intentions are all too often public knowledge. The Dolphins hold the No. 11 overall pick in the draft, and Mayfield probably stands a 50-50 chance or worse of lasting that long. Miami might have to trade up to land him.

Again, more speculation without quoting a specific individual.  If true it means other teams are coveting the top QB prospects which makes the top draft slots more valuable.  Also, any meetings are just due diligence and possible deflection from real intentions.  

Gonna be real hard for the Phins to draft Mayfield when the Bills jump in front of them and da Jits to select him..

Too bad, so sad Miami

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I swear to Christ if we stand pat, and the dolphins get Baker, I will lose my sh*t.

The Bills will probably be moving up to the Bears or 49ers spot (if they can) and will either give up both #1s or a #1, #2 and Glenn. That's how it seems to be shaking out since Miami will be in play.

I like the kid.

Hard to believe that the Jets and Dolphins may grab QBs ahead of us in this draft.

Can't you just see it now? Jets slide up to 3 and grab Rosen. Miami moves a bit and grabs Mayfield. We end up with Rudolph/Tyrod/Peterman. Wonk wonk wonk...lol

I like the kid.

Not moving up above ARZ, CIN, and MIA at a minimum, is to do so at OBD's own peril.

2 minutes ago, 1billsfan said:

The Bills will probably be moving up to the Bears or 49ers spot (if they can) and will either give up both #1s or a #1, #2 and Glenn. That's how it seems to be shaking out since Miami will be in play.

Yeah I have no idea what will happen.

I'm just saying that Miami could be in play for a QB even with Tanny on the roster, because they have a cheap out.

2 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Hard to believe that the Jets and Dolphins may grab QBs ahead of us in this draft.

Can't you just see it now? Jets slide up to 3 and grab Rosen. Miami moves a bit and grabs Mayfield. We end up with Rudolph/Tyrod/Peterman. Wonk wonk wonk...lol

Yeah.

That's like nightmare scenario.

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

Not moving up above ARZ, CIN, and MIA at a minimum, is to do so at OBD's own peril.

Agreed. 

Edited by SouthNYfan
Typo

2 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Again, more speculation without quoting a specific individual.  If true it means other teams are coveting the top QB prospects which makes the top draft slots more valuable.  Also, any meetings are just due diligence and possible deflection from real intentions.  

They are going out to dinner with him before his proday on March 14th

Lots of Dolphins quarterback talk on a Tuesday:

▪ Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield might not even be available when Miami picks 11thin April’s draft.

But this much we know: The Dolphins like Mayfield’s skill set and privately have spoken highly about how he came across in their interview with him at the Senior Bowl. The Dolphins weren’t sure what to expect when they met with Mayfield but came away impressed, according to a source with direct knowledge.

That’s why the Dolphins plan to spend even more time with him at dinner on March 13 in Norman, Okla., as we reported last week — even though many expect Mayfield to be gone before No. 11.

Whether they develop a similar affection for Wyoming’s Josh Allen or UCLA’s Josh Rosen remains to be seen. And whether it’s Mayfield or another quarterback, we believe there’s at least some willingness inside the Dolphins to genuinely consider a quarterback at 11, though they remain committed to Ryan Tannehill as their 2018 starter and though other positions remain more likely because of immediate need and the front office’s desire to win immediately.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article202439014.html

32 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Dolphins have Tannehill still under contract?   Why would they spend draft capital on QB  with other holes in lineup?

You always want to try and upgrade the QB position... it is the MOST important on field position in the NFL. Every other position hole can be filled much easier than QB.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Boca BIlls said:

You always want to try and upgrade the QB position... it is the MOST important on field position in the NFL. Every other position hole can be filled much easier than QB.

Welcome to the board Boca.  That's sort for Boca Raton correct?

2 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

Um no.   Wasting picks on incremental upgrades doesn't make sense.

1 minute ago, prissythecat said:

Um no.   Wasting picks on incremental upgrades doesn't make sense.

Upgrading the QB position is never incremental.

6 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

Thinking a potential franchise QB is "Incremental" doesn't make sense.

In the event you are a member of the Pegs clan - we want a damn QB and we want to trade up to get him! Tell Brando McBean to get off his butt and make it happen

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, prissythecat said:

I take it you are Mayfield's agent lol?  Seriously,   I 'm no fan of Tannehill.  But he is not the reason for the Dolphins losing ways.

QB is more important than any other hole you can think of... it is the thinking that you are using right now that the Bills have been doing for the past 17+ years. When you have a chance at a guy you think can become a franchise QB you take it. Simple as that, every other hole on a team can be filled and masked... except QB.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Maybe.

One of the reasons clubs leak false information is so that when true information is inadvertently leaked it's hard to distinguish fact from fiction.

True leak?  Fake leak?  Hard to know.

Knowing Buffalo is looking to draft a QB, and probably wants to do it higher rather than lower,  I could see Miami trying to manipulate the Bills into spending draft picks to get higher than Miami to snag their QB.

2 hours ago, prissythecat said:

Dolphins have Tannehill still under contract?   Why would they spend draft capital on QB  with other holes in lineup?

Because Tannehill is unreliable, often injured and is not that good and when you see an upgrade you need to take it.  Isn't that what everyone around here preaches. TT isn't good so we need a franchise QB.  Tannehill is NOT a franchise QB AND he's not that good, so why wouldn't the Phins be looking at QB.  They met with Mayfield at the Senior Bowl as well.  If anything, maybe they think the Bills will sell the farm and draft Mayfield and they are just interviewing him for intel purposes.  Who knows, but it's clear the Dolphins need a signal caller.

5 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Knowing Buffalo is looking to draft a QB, and probably wants to do it higher rather than lower,  I could see Miami trying to manipulate the Bills into spending draft picks to get higher than Miami to snag their QB.

I don't think they are manipulating anything.  Tannehill is not Gase's QB.  Maybe Gase wants his own QB?

Do you think trading away Landry for draft picks has anything to do with moving up from their current position for a QB that they like?  I think it’s very possible.  Trading with Cleveland specifically also opens up the communication channels for potential draft moves.  I believe the Dolphin’s are ready to move away from Tannehill.  Just my gut feeling.  

• 1 month later...
On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 12:51 PM, Boca BIlls said:

Ahhh... Club Boca in the early 90's.... :wub:

• Like (+1) 1