Sal Capaccio: Five Offensive Free Agents Who Could Fit the Bills

WR Paul Richardson (Seahawks) :thumbsup:

Richardson is exactly what the Bills lack in their offense - a down-the-field threat.  He’s also been very good at contested catches.  Only 26 years old in a few weeks, injuries hampered Richardson early in his career.  But he’s missed only one game the last two seasons and really took a big step last year in Seattle, catching 44 passes for 703 yards for a whopping 16 yards per reception (9th in the NFL).

TE Trey Burton (Eagles)
OG Andrew Norwell (Panthers)
OG Alex Boone (Cardinals)
OT Chris Hubbard (Steelers)

• Like (+1) 1

I’ll take Jeff Janis too!!! Cap friendly contract, plays STs, return man, size speed guy great #4, a better Holmes!

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Richardson is such an obvious fit. He’s going to be in demand but makes TONS of sense for the Bills.

Probably $10M per 

2 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

I’ll take Jeff Janis too!!! Cap friendly contract, plays STs, return man, size speed guy great #4, a better Holmes!

Probably $10M per 

I think that’s in the ballpark. The Bills need a 1 or 2 though and it won’t be easy to land in the draft. I think that they can fill out the rest of the WR room fairly easily.

If they find Richardson to be too expensive maybe they try to swing a trade for a WR? I’ll throw a couple of names out: Martavis Bryant, Emmanuel Sanders, TY Hilton, Willie Sneed, a GB receiver or Josh Gordon. I’m not sure if any (or all) of these guys could be had but it is worth picking up the phone.

Norwell is set to become one of the top paid at G. I'm pretty sure the Giants have his agent on speed dial right now. Richardson would be fantastic. I think the market will grossly overpay for him. I would still love Brice Butler if we don't get Richardson. 

• Like (+1) 1

If Richardson is actually getting $10 million I wouldn't bother. If he's that close to what Allen Robinson will get, I'd definitely prefer Robinson. Not sure Beane plans to spend a lot in free agency based on the Ivory/Vontae signings though.

• Like (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
3 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

WHY would Paul Richardson want to come here?!

He wouldn't just like every other player would not want to come here.  We would have to pay him $20, maybe $30 million a year for him to even consider it.  I have done some of my own detective work myself and my sources are solid on this info.

23 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

WHY would Paul Richardson want to come here?!

The same reason Vontae Davis and Chris Ivory just came. Money

If you don’t think that guaranteed dollars are 1st on a player’s list (especially a young guy) I don’t know what to tell you. It’s really not complicated at all.

22 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

You're nothing if not consistent!  

Can’t tell if he is trolling or incompetent. 

21 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

He wouldn't just like every other player would not want to come here.  We would have to pay him $20, maybe $30 million a year for him to even consider it.  I have done some of my own detective work myself and my sources are solid on this info.

Ha ha, thanks for the detective work.

I will be surprised if the Bills make any kind of splash in Free Agency.

My guess is that fans will be crying and screaming by Thursday/Friday when the Bills haven't signed anyone.

In my opinion, the Vontae Davis and Chris Ivory signings (along with Brandon Beane's comments) suggest they are going to do everything necessary to land some compensation picks for next year.  That means losing more free agents than gaining, and prioritizing guys who have been cut/waived over those who are unrestricted.  This is the strategy employed by teams like New England, Green Bay and Baltimore.

The maximum comp picks a team can get is four.  My guess is that we are going to lose EJ Gaines, Preston Brown and Jordan Matthews to decent contracts.  There is no guarantee that Kyle Williams comes back and could theoretically sign with another team.  There are always lower level guys who latch on somewhere in the early days of free agency.  Maybe Seantrel Henderson.

2 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

I will be surprised if the Bills make any kind of splash in Free Agency.

My guess is that fans will be crying and screaming by Thursday/Friday when the Bills haven't signed anyone.

In my opinion, the Vontae Davis and Chris Ivory signings (along with Brandon Beane's comments) suggest they are going to do everything necessary to land some compensation picks for next year.  That means losing more free agents than gaining, and prioritizing guys who have been cut/waived over those who are unrestricted.  This is the strategy employed by teams like New England, Green Bay and Baltimore.

The maximum comp picks a team can get is four.  My guess is that we are going to lose EJ Gaines, Preston Brown and Jordan Matthews to decent contracts.  There is no guarantee that Kyle Williams comes back and could theoretically sign with another team.  There are always lower level guys who latch on somewhere in the early days of free agency.  Maybe Seantrel Henderson.

Beane has all but said that they won't.  He's going for "value" free agent signings.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

What does that have to do with the excellence of an individual player?  Norwell is a very good player. 

That O-line since the superbowl run has pretty much gotten newton killed on every play.  No thanks to any part of that.  Especially at the price we'd have to fork out for him.

1 minute ago, HiddenInLight said:

That O-line since the superbowl run has pretty much gotten newton killed on every play.  No thanks to any part of that.  Especially at the price we'd have to fork out for him.

This makes no sense when each player of a particular unit is judged on their own merits apart from the unit as a whole.  That said Norwell will be compensated in UFA beyond what the Bills can afford to pay. 

3 hours ago, CuddyDark said:

I think the consensus is Norwell will break the bank.

True that. But to me he's the only one worth the money. The rest will be more expensive than their value. At the end of the day, I would love to see McBeane do what they did last year. Surprise us with some pretty cost-effective but productive signings.

Reports are the Colts and Donte Moncrief will part ways. He is a FA that I think makes a lot of sense for the Bills to go after. 

Incredible combo of size/talent...was in an offense where he was a number 3 option most of the time, with a hurt Andrew Luck. 

6'2, jump ball ability, 4.4 40 time, area of need....I would take a flyer on him, and for those who care, he wouldnt count against the comp pick formula. 

Makes sense to load up on these types of guys. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PaattMaann said:

Reports are the Colts and Donte Moncrief will part ways. He is a FA that I think makes a lot of sense for the Bills to go after. 

Incredible combo of size/talent...was in an offense where he was a number 3 option most of the time, with a hurt Andrew Luck. 

6'2, jump ball ability, 4.4 40 time, area of need....I would take a flyer on him, and for those who care, he wouldnt count against the comp pick formula. 

Makes sense to load up on these types of guys. 

He would indeed count against the comp pick formula; he's unrestricted.

I was a big Moncrief-in-the-3rd-round guy back in 2014.  He's had some great moments, but hasn't been able to put it together as of yet.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/8/2018 at 7:55 AM, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Norwell is set to become one of the top paid at G. I'm pretty sure the Giants have his agent on speed dial right now. Richardson would be fantastic. I think the market will grossly overpay for him. I would still love Brice Butler if we don't get Richardson. 

Agreed.

Richardson could skyrocket in price if Watkins and Robinson sign early, with the lack of available good wrs, so if they want him, might have to jump on it early.

13 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

He would indeed count against the comp pick formula; he's unrestricted.

I was a big Moncrief-in-the-3rd-round guy back in 2014.  He's had some great moments, but hasn't been able to put it together as of yet.

wellllllllllllllllllllll what if he signs a real low dollar contract? 

edit: nevermind, I Found the answer to that question. Would still count, damn....anyway, worth a flyer haha 

Edited by PaattMaann

21 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Agreed.

Richardson could skyrocket in price if Watkins and Robinson sign early, with the lack of available good wrs, so if they want him, might have to jump on it early.

As the official Richardson ambassador of this forum, I offer the following alternatives if indeed his price goes up to high: sign Albert Wilson, sign Taylor Gabriel, offer LAC a 5th round pick for Travis Benjamin

On 3/8/2018 at 9:12 AM, NewDayBills said:

I do not want us to sign a WR to big money with no quarterback on the roster, talk about cart before the horse.

That's dumb.

Why does order of operations matter if we end up with the same result?  FA is before the draft, why would signing a player like Richardson / Robinson preclude us from making a move for a QB?  I'm not saying guys of that level would be interested in signing with us, but the notion that we couldn't possibly upgrade the receiving corps without a different QB already in place is dumb.

3 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

That's dumb.

Why does order of operations matter if we end up with the same result?  FA is before the draft, why would signing a player like Richardson / Robinson preclude us from making a move for a QB?  I'm not saying guys of that level would be interested in signing with us, but the notion that we couldn't possibly upgrade the receiving corps without a different QB already in place is dumb.

I respect your opinion, but Richardson is going to cost a lot, I just don't think it's wise to tie up that much money into it without a bonafide QB. We already have Benjamin, he runs through 2018, put that money towards an extension for him. Draft a guy and develop Zay Jones, I like Equanimeous St. Brown in the 2nd round.

Just now, NewDayBills said:

I respect your opinion, but Richardson is going to cost a lot, I just don't think it's wise to tie up that much money into it without a bonafide QB. We already have Benjamin, he runs through 2018, put that money towards an extension for him. Draft a guy and develop Zay Jones, I like Equanimeous St. Brown in the 2nd round.

You generally don't want to pair a young QB with a bunch of young WRs. Experienced veteran WRs can help a young QB along in his early years, and then once he's experienced you can draft younger guys for him to work with.

11 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

So you don't want good WRs until we know we have a good QB, but how are we going to know we have a QB who is good without good WRs?

If you evaluate a guy to be worth the money / draft slot and fit with the team, sign/draft them.  It doesn't matter when the talent is added if they are on the field week 1.

2 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

lots of holes, have to try to fill some via free agency to give yourself draft flexibility

And we could sign Richardson, and STILL draft a WR

Use FA to fill as many holes as reasonable so that you can either use picks to make your move for QB or draft BPA 

2 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

None of them bring the missing element of outside speed that is sorely needed for the Bills' offense.  Richardson's presence would benefit both the pass and the run game.