Bills Sign Ivory

Just now, thebandit27 said:

I agree with most of that; I doubt that they'll go into the season without a younger back in whom they have faith.

At the very least, they'll try to!  I agree; I don't think training camp will be just Shady, Ivory, and 4 UDFA/Joe Banyard types.  Only thing I disagree with is the "younger" part - if they don't get a guy in the draft, I think they'll look to the "bargain bin" FA market, and youth will take a backseat to other qualities.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
3 minutes ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

Lot of money for an aging backup

But it's only two years.  This signing will by no means prevent us from signing any future players.

i don't get it. what does he bring to the table besides age....too much money and as close to a tolbert skillset as you can get. i just don't get it. we probably could get twice as much out of cadet or murphy. i'm lost on this one. i've never thought much of this guy.....for instance, if shady tweeks a hammy....we got ivory....ooooohhhh good move. thumbs(both) down on this move.

what's next? a 5th rd. qb pick to compete with nate for no. 2 and  josh mc cown starting?

4 hours ago, Utah John said:

If we were getting the Chris Ivory who was with the Jets, I'd be delighted. He was always one of my favorite non-Bills.  Hard runner, great effort.  Reminded me of Fred Jackson.

His production fell sharply after he left the Jets.  Not sure if it was a scheme problem, a personnel problem, or something else. 

Let's hope he has a lot left in the tank.

Well that fact that the Jaguars "star" RB Fournette  only ran for 3.9 yards a carry tells me that it has to do with the Jags oline and scheme.

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Well that fact that the Jaguars "star" RB Fournette  only ran for 3.9 yards a carry tells me that it has to do with the Jags oline and scheme.

Has to do with Bortles sucks and no RB with the Jags was going to tear it up with 8-9 in the box.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, billspro said:

It is awesome having a competent GM

True, but this particular signing isn't any different than the typical FA signings Whaley made. Finding FAs and trades in their prime years (mid -late 20s) seemed to be his strength.

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Ivory and Fournette faced 8+ in the box 51% and 48.5% of the time, respectively.

McCoy faced 8+ in the box ~36% of the time.

..do you see any type of pattern here with how McBeane does his FA (or pre) shopping?......neither this or Davis hardly break the bank.......I think same could be said for Hyde and Poyer.....

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Barnwell No Likey!  Regardless, he's a good 2nd option who doesn't factor into the comp pick formula for 2019. 

I no likey Barnwell.   He's just another ESPN fanboy with a crush on the same-old, same-old.     Not much there, there...

6 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I wonder if this means we won't draft someone to be the future. 

That could be, but I'm OK with it foir now because we have so many other holes to fill in the front 7, CB, OL and WR. Oh yeah, and QB!!!

4 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Note that Ivory's low YPC could have something to do with the fact that he faced 8 or more in the box almost 51% of the time--3rd highest for any RB in the NFL.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/rushing#percent-eight-defenders

That's a really interesting chart!   

I was surprised to see Shady faced eight-in-the-box fronts just 36% of the time...it seemed higher to me for some reason.

Looking at the other end of the rankings, Frank Gore jumped out at me.   He faced 8-man fronts just 26% of the time--and was able to overpower those alignments on a regular basis.    I could see Ivory being similarly successful if Daboll can scheme the run game so teams have to respect the pass rather than load up the box.

The other notable was Gurley at 16.8%, Bell at 19.9% and Hunt at 23.5%.    Their success owes a tremendous amount to the threat of their passing games.   Upgrading our QB play will be like adding jet fuel to Shady's tank if he can stay healthy / effective long enough for it to kick in.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Solid move.  If Cadet also comes back yhey have a solid group

...good point bud.....and maybe even the Murphy kid in TC......both did show some promise before injuries.......just wonder what the Banyard kid did wrong......showed some promise but was signed and released three times......prolly bad mouthed Castillo..............

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I could see Ivory being similarly successful if Daboll can scheme the run game so teams have to respect the pass rather than load up the box.

Gonna need a new qb for that.