Bills Sign Ivory

48 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

This ^ I’m quite neutral on this, except for the part where I believe we paid way too much to sign Ivory.  I can’t justify that price tag for a 29 year old running back with fumbling issues. Limiting turnovers while allowing our defense to win games

was the key to last season. I don’t see how introducing a turnover machine to the offense is good for “the process”, but at least we won’t see more Tolbert carries. 

I’m still not convinced that Beane wouldn’t possibly trade McCoy to move up in the draft. 

With their history of having traded away Watkins, Darby, Dareus, Ragland and trading for Benjamin, I wouldn't be totally surprised if McCoy was traded. 

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

do you guys think we overpaid?  3 mill a year is about double what I thought it would be. Was thinking 1.5 to 2 mill a year.  Happy we have him but I’m a little miffed at the price tag.  Hopefully he can bring the thunder for 2 more years!

5 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I am not a fan of this, The Bills overpaid for a 30-year-old running back coming off of 2 bad seasons. I think they were better off going with a lower cost veteran and nabbing a rookie in round 3 or later. 

Bill's Running Back coach Kelly Skipper was down in JAX with Ivory in 2016.

Maybe he knows how we can use him.

2.75 one way or the other isn't going to kill the cap.

I mean, they are paying DiMarco 2 million this year.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

Bill's Running Back coach Kelly Skipper was down in JAX with Ivory in 2016.

Maybe he knows how we can use him.

2.75 one way or the other isn't going to kill the cap.

I mean, they are paying DiMarco 2 million this year.

2.75 for a caliber of player that you probably could have drafted in the mid to late rounds or gotten off the street for cheaper isn't a good use of 10% of your remaining cap space. 

I never knew who Tolbert was and I still don't. At least I have heard of Ivory. I like the feeling that the offense is being addressed. Hopefully it helps the offense move the chains a little more. 

5 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

2.75 for a caliber of player that you probably could have drafted in the mid to late rounds or gotten off the street for cheaper isn't a good use of 10% of your remaining cap space. 

Don't get me wrong '89, I understand your points.

We'll see, this isn't the 1st time people are "scratching their heads".

The Skipper connection gives me a little more hope.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Respected 8-year vet that's spent a ton of time in the division and has been to the Pro Bowl

vs.

"guy off the street"

Please tell me more about how these two are the same.

Edited by Hurricane Marv
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Lfod said:

I never knew who Tolbert was and I still don't. At least I have heard of Ivory. I like the feeling that the offense is being addressed. Hopefully it helps the offense move the chains a little more. 

...in his defense, I think he was a character type guy that McD wanted for the locker room presence and vet influence.....was never thought to be a major producer IMO and just my hunch about McD's thinking...

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...in his defense, I think he was a character type guy that McD wanted for the locker room presence and vet influence.....was never thought to be a major producer IMO and just my hunch about McD's thinking...

I agree with this, which is why I love the signing of a character guy who can actually run better than Mike Tolbert.

Chris Ivory is clean as a whistle by the way.  Just a hard working professional that can contribute.  Trust the process.

Edited by Hurricane Marv

9 minutes ago, Hurricane Marv said:

Chris Ivory is clean as a whistle by the way.  Just a hard working professional that can contribute.  Trust the process.

Grr! Something something choir boys something something! Now whars me pitchfork!?

28 minutes ago, Lfod said:

He was a Whaley sign before he was fired..came from Carolina.

Edited by Misterbluesky

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

After trading up for Rose, they may not have the mid to late round picks available.

59 minutes ago, Hurricane Marv said:

Respected 8-year vet that's spent a ton of time in the division and has been to the Pro Bowl

vs.

"guy off the street"

Please tell me more about how these two are the same.

3.4 ypc... He was not a Pro Bowler last year either, that's irrelevant.

You know who else has been to a Pro Bowl? Tyrod. 

30 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

I remember Tolbert breaking a good run for like 10 or 15 yards but unfortunately he fumbled it. That would of been a nice play if he held on because it would of been a first down I think. 

You have to work with what you have. So I would agree of MCD having a mindset of building a foundation for winning. I would agree with you on that. I think many of the moves this year have been doing exactly that and I actually agree with them.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

3.4 ypc... He was not a Pro Bowler last year either, that's irrelevant.

You know who else has been to a Pro Bowl? Tyrod. 

Yeah but, I'm laughing at the comparison of a veteran presence vs. a guy off the street for a backup role, and you're comparing him to Tyrod Taylor for some reason?  I'm seriously not following.

I'm not banging the drum for Chris Ivory to have some resurgent season and be a household name or anything, I just think he's an upgrade.  And I'm fine with the contract considering he's been a consummate professional.  We can compare his pay to somebody like Blount, who has clearly worked out, but he's also somebody that punched people in the face while playing college ball so his his pay / professional career has always kind of come at a discount it seems.  I think it's a great signing all things considered.