Mike White (WKU) the target?

PIZ

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You should be happy that McBeane seem to have Plan Bs, Cs and Ds. 

I am extremely happy they are covering all the bases.  Refreshing isn't it. 

Guys like White and Falk are not the "targets" BUT we pick #21, and until we get a trading partner the top 4 could be gone.

Not to mention maybe there is 1 or 2 out of the top 4-5 they already know they don't want.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

Whatever. I give up.  SAVE US, MIKE WHITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Detective, can you at least see the point I made above?  No need to blow a gasket.

21 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Per Mike Mayock:

"

New England Patriots

After trading QBs Jimmy Garoppolo and Jacoby Brissett, the AFC champs need to insert another young quarterback into an understudy role behind Tom Brady. But if the first round is too rich to do so (New England picks at No. 31 overall), potential options, per Mayock, include Oklahoma State's Mason Rudolph, Washington State's Luke Falk and Western Kentucky's Mike White. Other quarterback possibilities who Mayock called "a notch below that" include Richmond's Kyle Lauletta and Logan Woodside of Toledo".

Mike White sees himself as the number 1 QB in draft:

http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/video/wku-qb-mike-white-sees-himself-no-1-qb-2018-nfl-draft

You can also substitute New England Patriots with Pittsburg Steelers and New Orleans Saints.

They are talking the same thing.

26 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Per Mike Mayock:

"

New England Patriots

After trading QBs Jimmy Garoppolo and Jacoby Brissett, the AFC champs need to insert another young quarterback into an understudy role behind Tom Brady. But if the first round is too rich to do so (New England picks at No. 31 overall), potential options, per Mayock, include Oklahoma State's Mason Rudolph, Washington State's Luke Falk and Western Kentucky's Mike White. Other quarterback possibilities who Mayock called "a notch below that" include Richmond's Kyle Lauletta and Logan Woodside of Toledo".

Mike White sees himself as the number 1 QB in draft:

http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/video/wku-qb-mike-white-sees-himself-no-1-qb-2018-nfl-draft

...interesting...... imagine the TBD meltdown if McBeane goes OL/DL or DL/OL with the 1sts and looks at one of these four for his QB pick.........

2 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

I do thank God you are not the one making decisions for this team.

That’s a pretty heavy stone you’re throwing from your glass house considering you’re not familiar with Mike White’s playing history and story. But deuces....✌?

34 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...interesting...... imagine the TBD meltdown if McBeane goes OL/DL or DL/OL with the 1sts and looks at one of these four for his QB pick.........

I would not complain.  

I’ve been a draft nut since they first started televising it on ESPN.  That perspective let’s me see that while the draft analysts get a good general picture of the prospects, they are not the experts.  Heck, I love reading opinions of former NFL scouts, but those former scouts do not (and cannot possibly) put as much time in on the draft prospects as an entire NFL team scouting staff.  Further, the draft pundits don’t have the same access to college coaches as the NFL teams do.  Finally, even the NFL scouts are not exactly infallible- Brady in the 6th, Brees in the 2nd, Rodgers in the bottom third of the first - this isn’t an exact science.

4 hours ago, simool said:

What?

Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Taylor 495 865 57.2 7017 8.1 8.1 44 20 137.5
Jackson 619 1086 57 9043 8.3 8.5 69 27 142.9

Pretty similar from a completion, avg yards, and rating perspective.  Jackson had more completions and attempts, had a way better TD:INT ratio and a marginally better rating.

Then when you consider it took Taylor 4 years to compile those stats and Jackson has played 3, and won a friggin' Heisman. Your statement makes even less sense.

I am not going to argue with you.

You have your opinion and I have mine.

2 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I would not complain.  

I’ve been a draft nut since they first started televising it on ESPN.  That perspective let’s me see that while the draft analysts get a good general picture of the prospects, they are not the experts.  Heck, I love reading opinions of former NFL scouts, but those former scouts do not (and cannot possibly) put as much time in on the draft prospects as an entire NFL team scouting staff.  Further, the draft pundits don’t have the same access to college coaches as the NFL teams do.  Finally, even the NFL scouts are not exactly infallible- Brady in the 6th, Brees in the 2nd, Rodgers in the bottom third of the first - this isn’t an exact science.

...Bingo......and throw in some skinny kid from ND in the 3rd named Montana for good measure.....McBeane has assembled a pretty high powered staff of NFL personnel execs on Pegula's open checkbook......pretty sure none of them are former TBD posters.................think maybe I'll trust their selections......

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...Bingo......and throw in some skinny kid from ND in the 3rd named Montana for good measure.....McBeane has assembled a pretty high powered staff of NFL personnel execs on Pegula's open checkbook......pretty sure none of them are former TBD posters.................think maybe I'll trust their selections......

Right on!

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

And another year of not addressing the most important position in football with a top end prospect. He is at best a 3rd round grade. 

Already have one of him in the Roster. Peterman

If the Bills can't get the guy they want -- and that's very likely given where they sit in the draft -- it would be stupid to settle for a consolation prize QB that they really didn't like that much just to draft a first round QB.  Why is the concept that drafting a first round QB just to draft one is a stupid move such a hard concept for you to grasp?   Taking a Day 2 QB isn't ideal, but it's better than investing in a marginal first rounder or not taking a QB at all.

And Nathan Peterman is not a Mike White clone.  White is a Day 2 prospect, and rounds 2 and 3 have yielded some decent QBs in recent years.   Peterman is barely a Day 3 prospect, starting with his lack of an NFL arm. 

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I am extremely happy they are covering all the bases.  Refreshing isn't it. 

Guys like White and Falk are not the "targets" BUT we pick #21, and until we get a trading partner the top 4 could be gone.

Not to mention maybe there is 1 or 2 out of the top 4-5 they already know they don't want.

Agreed.  The chances of the Bills getting "their guy" at QB in 2018 seem to be pretty slim.  Everything needs to fall perfectly, and that's a tall order, so they need to have contigency plans. 

If you're going to pick a "consolation" QB, then do it in the 2nd or 3rd, not waste a 1st on a QB likely to be a backup or a low level starter.  Maybe lightning strikes and you get a Russell Wilson or Drew Brees or even a Tom Brady.  If not, it's relatively easy to part with a 2nd round disappointment and move on.

Edited by SoTier

Mike Tanier opines on White's combine performance:

Western Kentucky's Mike White didn't make any major mistakes and was good enough on all throws to stay in the late-round conversation, but he missed an opportunity to stand out the way Shimonek did. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

If the Bills can't get the guy they want -- and that's very likely given where they sit in the draft -- it would be stupid to settle for a consolation prize QB that they really didn't like that much just to draft a first round QB.  Why is the concept that drafting a first round QB just to draft one is a stupid move such a hard concept for you to grasp?   Taking a Day 2 QB isn't ideal, but it's better than investing in a marginal first rounder or not taking a QB at all.

And Nathan Peterman is not a Mike White clone.  White is a Day 2 prospect, and rounds 2 and 3 have yielded some decent QBs in recent years.   Peterman is barely a Day 3 prospect, starting with his lack of an NFL arm. 

No it isnt. White is a late round prosect by my grades and a developmental guy. We have one on our ROSTER. 

There are 4 top end QBs in this draft. GO GET ONE 

28 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Mike Tanier opines on White's combine performance:

Western Kentucky's Mike White didn't make any major mistakes and was good enough on all throws to stay in the late-round conversation, but he missed an opportunity to stand out the way Shimonek did. 

Who is Mike Tanier?

6 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Kirk Cousins, Jimmy Garropolo, Russell Wilson, Derek Carr, Dak Prescott, Drew Brees and Tom Brady might disagree.

I am not saying that it wouldn't be nice to get a top prospect, but:

1. Some good starting QBs can be found after round 1 (for sure a lower probability)

2. They are not getting high enough to get Rosen, Darnold or Mayfield -'after them I'm not sold enough on Allen, Jackson or Rudolph to trade up much for one of them.

Disgree with what? That i said we need to invest in the QB position and if we have to trade up to get the rookie they believe in then do it.  

1. We have the draft ammo to move up to 3 reasonably.

2. We havent had any success passing on 1st round QBs and drafting QBs later in the draft. We took a shot with EJ in a weak QB class out of necessity. Its a top heavy QB draft. This will reverse the EJ metaphysical draft bust continuum and hook us up with our new franchise QB.

3. Im cool with staying at 21 and drafting Rudolph or Jackson too, not a fan of Allen for this team.

46 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

No it isnt. White is a late round prosect by my grades and a developmental guy. We have one on our ROSTER. 

There are 4 top end QBs in this draft. GO GET ONE 

Your grades! 

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

Disgree with what? That i said we need to invest in the QB position and if we have to trade up to get the rookie they believe in then do it.  

1. We have the draft ammo to move up to 3 reasonably.

2. We havent had any success passing on 1st round QBs and drafting QBs later in the draft. We took a shot with EJ in a weak QB class out of necessity. Its a top heavy QB draft. This will reverse the EJ metaphysical draft bust continuum and hook us up with our new franchise QB.

3. Im cool with staying at 21 and drafting Rudolph or Jackson too, not a fan of Allen for this team.

1. If you totally disregard the sieve that is the rest of our team.

2. What? This is like saying my kid that won't clean his room just has not worked out for me. I took a shot and it did not work out.  Maybe I should go out and impregnate a hooker to see if it can reverse the metaphysical bust that is my child.

3. The only sane thing you said is staying at 21.  No way in hell Allen falls this far, but if he does you can damn sure bet on Beane pulling that trigger.

2 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

In another thread I compare Taylor and Jackson...

eek

3 hours ago, simool said:

2. What? This is like saying my kid that won't clean his room just has not worked out for me. I took a shot and it did not work out.  Maybe I should go out and impregnate a hooker to see if it can reverse the metaphysical bust that is my child.

3. The only sane thing you said is staying at 21.  No way in hell Allen falls this far, but if he does you can damn sure bet on Beane pulling that trigger.

1.  Totally. Weve been doing the same thing for 17 years at QB. We need to take a top prospect that isnt a project like cardale jones or NP.

2. You just told me back the same joke with different words.

3. I hope not. Allen sets us back a few years and still might bust out. If Denver signs Cousins i will bet you we trade up in the 1st.

11 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

I do not see Petemeister as having much of a ceiling.
 How do you compare White to Peterman ?
I think White should be on their list if the first round does not give them a fair shot at QB. Plenty of immediate starters and likely impact players for us at 21 22.

and yes i want Bills to find that QB of the future sooner than later.

Because White will be a backup so why bother

3 hours ago, simool said:

Your grades! 

giphy.gif

I know it is hard to learn how to scout and what tk look for. Much easier for you to read someone else info and think you know. 

2 hours ago, FearLess Price said:

1.  Totally. Weve been doing the same thing for 17 years at QB. We need to take a top prospect that isnt a project like cardale jones or NP.

2. You just told me back the same joke with different words.

3. I hope not. Allen sets us back a few years and still might bust out. If Denver signs Cousins i will bet you we trade up in the 1st.

#1: This is totally untrue.  What the Bills had been doing since Bill Polian was fired back in the 1990s was putting making profits ahead of winning football games.  After a poor start, it seems that the new ownership has committed to bringing winning football back to Buffalo.  That means that the Bills aren't looking to "make do" with another cheap QB prospect as they had in the past, but the reality is that since they don't have the #1 pick (and aren't likely to be able to acquire it), they don't have their pick of whatever QB they want.  The Bills may only like 1 of the top 4 or 5 QBs well enough to trade up for him, and if he's gone, what would you have them do then?  Invest multiple first round picks in a QB that they view as a marginal first round prospect just to have a first round QB on the roster?  Or draft a second tier QB prospect in the 2nd or 3rd round to be at least an upgrade over Peterman and maybe more if they get lucky?  

FTR, Jones and Peterman were Day 3 projects.  Nobody is suggesting that.  The discussion here has been about Day 2 (rounds 2 and 3) QBs who might make good "backup plans" like Mike White.   Second rounders Andy Dalton and Derek Carr and third rounder Russell Wilson were all good enough to start from Day 1 as rookies. 

#3: I don't follow college football but everything I've read about Allen reminds me of JP Losman.  He seems like the kind of marginal first round QB who has "bust" stamped on his forehead, and I'd prefer that the Bills pass on him even if he were available at #21.

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

SoTier makes my point best ^

The NFL draft is so easy to predict. All the first round picks become elite players, the second round picks become average starters, and the third round picks become back ups. The analysts are always right every year. It is so awesome to be able to predict the future on these guys without watching them play an NFL snap. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, billspro said:

The NFL draft is so easy to predict. All the first round picks become elite players, the second round picks become average starters, and the third round picks become back ups. The analysts are always right every year. It is so awesome to be able to predict the future on these guys without watching them play an NFL snap. 

Right on

6 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I know it is hard to learn how to scout and what tk look for. Much easier for you to read someone else info and think you know. 

Riiight. Okay Einstein...  Mike White is a 2nd round pick in just about everyone's book.  If there were any doubts, his Senior Bowl and Combine performances erased them.  If that still is not enough for someone as deluded as you, there is the interview with Mayock where he breaks down the progessions of his favorite play.  Mayock was effusive in his praise on the answer.

I wonder why someone with the skills you proclaim to have is not in Indianapolis right now working for an NFL team? Here's why---because you only THINK you know what you are doing. You have an inflated self worth, or you just like to talk big on the internet when in reality this is probably a much better indication of what you are actually up to:

giphy.gif

Edited by simool

4 minutes ago, simool said:

Riiight. Okay Einstein...  Mike White is a 2nd round pick in just about everyone's book.  If there were any doubts, his Senior Bowl and Combine performances erased them.  If that still is not enough for someone as deluded as you, there is the interview with Mayock where he breaks down the progessions of his favorite play.  Mayock was effusive in his praise on the answer.

I wonder why someone with the skills you proclaim to have is not in Indianapolis right now working for an NFL team? Here's why---because you only THINK you know what you are doing. You have an inflated self worth, or you just like to talk big on the internet when in reality this is probably a much better indication of what you are actually up to:

giphy.gif

Really, might want to relook those experts. All the projections I have seen on him are a day three pick. 

Your right I dont work as a scout in the NFL but does that mean I dont know what to look for and or at in positions and then write my Own Grades like the people you so adamantly talk about having him as a 2nd round pick???

Edited by MAJBobby

18 hours ago, dulles said:

If you are grabbing a guy in the top of the second, I'd push hard to get him at 32...There are no 5th year options on 2nd rounders, but if you are getting a QB at 33-36, you might as well spend a little more to get up to 32.

great point about the options.  I did not know/or totally forgot that!  

On 3/3/2018 at 7:22 PM, ColoradoBills said:

Detective, can you at least see the point I made above?  No need to blow a gasket.

I'm kind of thinking that's a rhetorical question because based on his responses in other threads the answer seems to be "No.  No, he can't see your point actually."

At the risk of sounding trite, the QB search like everything else may be a process for us: we may not get the top-flight guy we want, or they may decide the top flight guy is above what they feel they can afford and still put enough pieces around him.  Then we need to try to take the most promising guy in the 2nd tier and see how he develops and try to maneuver to be able to take another shot next year etc.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 3/3/2018 at 8:28 PM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

This is a very good point...we all reached a point of frustration under the Modrak years because it seemed as though several of the TBD pundits could have out-drafted the Bills.  It got better with Whaley, due to churn at the coaching position we're watching our draftees and UDFA thrive around the league on playoff teams and contenders.

We've gotten what we called for, finally 'time to clean house', out came the broom last spring.  So now I will try to relax and "trust the process" until they prove that I shouldn't

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is a very good point...we all reached a point of frustration under the Modrak years because it seemed as though several of the TBD pundits could have out-drafted the Bills.  It got better with Whaley, due to churn at the coaching position we're watching our draftees and UDFA thrive around the league on playoff teams and contenders.

We've gotten what we called for, finally 'time to clean house', out came the broom last spring.  So now I will try to relax and "trust the process" until they prove that I shouldn't

That is what I am doing as well. I really trust this staff. I believe they will do whatever they need to do to get a franchise QB this year. That could mean trading up, staying put, or taking one in the second round. This is probably the most interesting draft for the Bills I have ever seen. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

He has size, great arm and has played in a pro offense but yeah he's not good

What have you seen in his game that you don't like?  I've watched all the cut-ups on him that I can find and watched him at the combine.  He is from a lower-level of competition and he is a bit slow, but I don't see a problem with his arm strength or accuracy.  It is hard to judge anticipation in any of these guys.

23 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

What have you seen in his game that you don't like?  I've watched all the cut-ups on him that I can find and watched him at the combine.  He is from a lower-level of competition and he is a bit slow, but I don't see a problem with his arm strength or accuracy.  It is hard to judge anticipation in any of these guys.

He's a statue and he's too quick to dump it off in the flat for me

Edited by FeelingOnYouboty

9 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Do you think that could partly be explained by his weak supporting cast?

No. I don't mind using a 4th-5th on him because he's exactly the type of guy you can move in a few years for a higher pick because NFL guys are size queens but I'm not taking him and thinking he's going to be a Franchise QB

48 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

He's a statue and he's too quick to dump it off in the flat for me

They have lots of WR screens in their offence. I don't think he uses the check down to often. He had a horrible oline and WR core and carried that team. 

Prospects with size, arm strength, production, and accuracy don't make it past round 3 (see Davis Webb last year). 

He does a pretty good job moving around the pocket but does have mobility concerns. It seems silly to like Rosen if you want a QB with mobility because he has mobility concerns as well.