Who is your choice for Bills starting QB in 2018 and why?

Logic

Simple question: Who is YOUR PERSONAL CHOICE for Bills starting QB in 2018 and why?

Not who you think they will pick, but who you WANT them to pick. Preferably someone reasonable. I mean we could all say "Aaron Rodgers" or "Tom Brady", but that wouldn't be much of a thread. I'll start.

My top choice (and its not even close) for Bills 2018 starting quarterback: Baker Mayfield.

I feel that Mayfield has every single thing you look for in a QB, both physically and in terms of intangibles, EXCEPT for his height. If he were 2-3 inches taller, he'd be the no-question number one pick. In a few years, we'll all look back and wonder how so many people failed to see that Mayfield was going to be an elite player for a long time.

Physically, he can make every throw needed in the NFL, can improvise outside the pocket and make plays that aren't even really there to be made, and can rally his team from deficits. He has accuracy, arm strength, decision making, and escapability. I know everyone's already heard the tired old Russell Wilson comparison, but I believe it's accurate in this case. I also believe Daboll would craft an offensive scheme around him that would really play to his strengths.

What makes me really, really want the Bills to draft him, though, are his intangibles. Off the charts. Two time walk-on, the biggest chip on his shoulder you've ever seen, rallies guys around him, makes everyone around him better, hates to lose, loves to win. LOVES football. Hard worker. I don't buy into him being any kind of trouble-maker off the field. I think he's got an attitude, sure, but it's the type of attitude you WANT the leader of your team to have.

Bottom line: The Buffalo Bills have not had a real identity since the K-Gun days. It's time to change that. Baker Mayfield and the city of Buffalo are a PERFECT match. He's the consummate underdog, earned-everything-he's-ever-gotten guy. We all know at least one person who still owns a box of Flutie Flakes. This city LOVES underdogs. He would give this Bills team a swagger and offensive identity that it's sorely lacking, and would give Bills fans one of the most -- if not THE most -- popular player in Bills history. You may think I'm exaggerating, but go watch him talk about playing Texas. Now picture him saying those things, but about the Pats* instead. 

Baker's the guy. I'd be fine with Darnold or Rosen or whomever, but I strongly believe Mayfield will be the best of the bunch, and will give the team and its fans a shot in the arm that is sorely needed.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Whoever they draft or Nate Peterman.  

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

Simple question: Who is YOUR PERSONAL CHOICE for Bills starting QB in 2018 and why?

Not who you think they will pick, but who you WANT them to pick. Preferably someone reasonable. I mean we could all say "Aaron Rodgers" or "Tom Brady", but that wouldn't be much of a thread. I'll start.

My top choice (and its not even close) for Bills 2018 starting quarterback: Baker Mayfield.

I feel that Mayfield has every single thing you look for in a QB, both physically and in terms of intangibles, EXCEPT for his height. If he were 2-3 inches taller, he'd be the no-question number one pick. In a few years, we'll all look back and wonder how so many people failed to see that Mayfield was going to be an elite player for a long time.

Physically, he can make every throw needed in the NFL, can improvise outside the pocket and make plays that aren't even really there to be made, and can rally his team from deficits. He has accuracy, arm strength, decision making, and escapability. I know everyone's already heard the tired old Russell Wilson comparison, but I believe it's accurate in this case. I also believe Daboll would craft an offensive scheme around him that would really play to his strengths.

What makes me really, really want the Bills to draft him, though, are his intangibles. Off the charts. Two time walk-on, the biggest chip on his shoulder you've ever seen, rallies guys around him, makes everyone around him better, hates to lose, loves to win. LOVES football. Hard worker. I don't buy into him being any kind of trouble-maker off the field. I think he's got an attitude, sure, but it's the type of attitude you WANT the leader of your team to have.

Bottom line: The Buffalo Bills have not had a real identity since the K-Gun days. It's time to change that. Baker Mayfield and the city of Buffalo are a PERFECT match. He's the consummate underdog, earned-everything-he's-ever-gotten guy. We all know at least one person who still owns a box of Flutie Flakes. This city LOVES underdogs. He would give this Bills team a swagger and offensive identity that it's sorely lacking, and would give Bills fans one of the most -- if not THE most -- popular player in Bills history. You may think I'm exaggerating, but go watch him talk about playing Texas. Now picture him saying those things, but about the Pats* instead. 

Baker's the guy. I'd be fine with Darnold or Rosen or whomever, but I strongly believe Mayfield will be the best of the bunch, and will give the team and its fans a shot in the arm that is sorely needed.

Also there is a big difference between hating to lose and being a Jackass.  He fits into the jackass category.  Mayfield was arrested in the early morning of Feb. 25 in Fayetteville, and was charged with public intoxication, disorderly conduct, fleeing and resisting arrest.

I can see him getting into it with Buffalo Police on chippewa.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, kota said:

Also there is a big difference between hating to lose and being a Jackass.  He fits into the jackass category.  Mayfield was arrested in the early morning of Feb. 25 in Fayetteville, and was charged with public intoxication, disorderly conduct, fleeing and resisting arrest.

I understand and respect your opinion. I disagree. I think this incident falls into the category of "really stupid, but ultimately harmless". I don't think it portends to future trouble. Unfortunately, I somewhat doubt that the Bills front office agrees with me. I can see them skipping Mayfield because if the off-the-field stuff.

• Like (+1) 1

I wouldn't be upset if the Bills took Mayfield, Allen or even Darold with his small hands.

I like Josh Allen because of his size 6'5'' 233. After watching him in the Senior Bowl I was very impressed and he looked nothing like the QB the talking heads were saying about him with bad accuracy and no touch. In fact, he was the opposite in the second half of that game throwing with touch and into tight windows.   

The thing that helped make Jim Kelly so great was his toughness as Buffalo is a blue-collar town, we embraced him. Josh Allen reminds me of a young Kelly, Big Ben the way he was able to shed sackers and make plays with his arm. He might not be a day one starter but I feel a quality OC, QB coach could have this kid at a franchise level in no time. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Trade up and get the 2nd QB off the board otherwise why did we accumulate all of those picks? Now is the time to be bold and change this franchise's future. You can get defensive players in any draft. We need a QB and this is the year they are available.

I like Rosen but you can make a case for any of the top 4 guys. They all have something special worthy of a top pick. Just form a consensus and get your guy. At least we will know you did everything you could to make it happen rather than sitting back and doing nothing!

Mayfield is my choice ....

IMHO, he truly believes in "the process". The guy was a walk-on TWICE and still worked his way to the starting QB job, the Heisman trophy, and the national championship game. He has never had anything handed to him, he's worked for it. I'm also in love with his stats ... however I'm not astute enough to know how to weight them as far as strength of opponent, offensive scheme, surrounding talent, etc. .... to my uneducated "fan eyes" completion percentage, touch  downs, yards per pass, turn overs etc etc etc look like he farrrrrrrr out played the other QBs in this draft.

I understand peoples reluctance about his personal conduct, but as far as I'm concerned it's more important how he conducted himself AFTER the public intoxication thing (is he still a party animal ... has he laid low and behaved himself). As far as that college rah-rah crap .... the flag planting ... the grabbing his crotch ... it's just college rah-rah crap; as far as I'm concerned it wouldn't be a disqualifying problem UNLESS during the interview process we find out that he doesn't understand the difference between whipping the student body into a frenzy with college hijinks and being a professional football player

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, kota said:

So you are saying he'd fit right in? Welcome to Buffalo Mr Mayfield!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1