Who is your choice for Bills starting QB in 2018 and why?

Logic

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Simple question: Who is YOUR PERSONAL CHOICE for Bills starting QB in 2018 and why?

Not who you think they will pick, but who you WANT them to pick. Preferably someone reasonable. I mean we could all say "Aaron Rodgers" or "Tom Brady", but that wouldn't be much of a thread. I'll start.

My top choice (and its not even close) for Bills 2018 starting quarterback: Baker Mayfield.

I feel that Mayfield has every single thing you look for in a QB, both physically and in terms of intangibles, EXCEPT for his height. If he were 2-3 inches taller, he'd be the no-question number one pick. In a few years, we'll all look back and wonder how so many people failed to see that Mayfield was going to be an elite player for a long time.

Physically, he can make every throw needed in the NFL, can improvise outside the pocket and make plays that aren't even really there to be made, and can rally his team from deficits. He has accuracy, arm strength, decision making, and escapability. I know everyone's already heard the tired old Russell Wilson comparison, but I believe it's accurate in this case. I also believe Daboll would craft an offensive scheme around him that would really play to his strengths.

What makes me really, really want the Bills to draft him, though, are his intangibles. Off the charts. Two time walk-on, the biggest chip on his shoulder you've ever seen, rallies guys around him, makes everyone around him better, hates to lose, loves to win. LOVES football. Hard worker. I don't buy into him being any kind of trouble-maker off the field. I think he's got an attitude, sure, but it's the type of attitude you WANT the leader of your team to have.

Bottom line: The Buffalo Bills have not had a real identity since the K-Gun days. It's time to change that. Baker Mayfield and the city of Buffalo are a PERFECT match. He's the consummate underdog, earned-everything-he's-ever-gotten guy. We all know at least one person who still owns a box of Flutie Flakes. This city LOVES underdogs. He would give this Bills team a swagger and offensive identity that it's sorely lacking, and would give Bills fans one of the most -- if not THE most -- popular player in Bills history. You may think I'm exaggerating, but go watch him talk about playing Texas. Now picture him saying those things, but about the Pats* instead. 

Baker's the guy. I'd be fine with Darnold or Rosen or whomever, but I strongly believe Mayfield will be the best of the bunch, and will give the team and its fans a shot in the arm that is sorely needed.

You make a sound  argument for Mayfield. If they want him, i say go get him! 

Tyrod starting........I'd be shocked if Cousins would come to Buffalo and the rest aren't worth the $ + Tyrod dead money...........but most importantly my opinion right now is trade what assets are needed to get Darnold....stock up on offensive upgrades even at the expense of defense.....and let Darnold sit behind Tyrod and run an offense that suits Taylor's skillset.......if Darnold has to come in he'd be fine running RPO......doesn't get talked about but he's a great athlete.

Rosen a close second to Darnold.   Rosen I would try to get in as a starter at some point during the season if the team wasn't doing well.   Darnold I would try to sit all season or at least until the very end.

38 minutes ago, macaroni said:

Mayfield is my choice ....

IMHO, he truly believes in "the process". The guy was a walk-on TWICE and still worked his way to the starting QB job, the Heisman trophy, and the national championship game. He has never had anything handed to him, he's worked for it. I'm also in love with his stats ... however I'm not astute enough to know how to weight them as far as strength of opponent, offensive scheme, surrounding talent, etc. .... to my uneducated "fan eyes" completion percentage, touch  downs, yards per pass, turn overs etc etc etc look like he farrrrrrrr out played the other QBs in this draft.

I understand peoples reluctance about his personal conduct, but as far as I'm concerned it's more important how he conducted himself AFTER the public intoxication thing (is he still a party animal ... has he laid low and behaved himself). As far as that college rah-rah crap .... the flag planting ... the grabbing his crotch ... it's just college rah-rah crap; as far as I'm concerned it wouldn't be a disqualifying problem UNLESS during the interview process we find out that he doesn't understand the difference between whipping the student body into a frenzy with college hijinks and being a professional football player

So here's legitimate question in my mind. We have two supremely gifted QBs in Mayfield and Rosen. One, is viewed as the silver-spoon brat who pisses all over anyone he wants because, he can....and the other is viewed a tough, charismatic leader who is misunderstood simply because he loves to win. If you've read up on both, and only if you have, please tell me which of these two present the greatest challenge to Draft based on the "character" concerns alone? In other words, which do you view as merely, "needs to grow up", vs. "he's whacked out and wont' get it right" or maybe you feel it's both or neither....I'm just curious.

3 minutes ago, White Linen said:

He might be the next great QB who the heck knows - but I'm not trading up and giving up multiple picks to draft a 5'11" QB with little bitty hands.  He might make it but I don't want to take the risk with him - it's a massive thing to overcome.  

Except he is NOT 5'11" tall and is over 6' tall and actually taller than both Wilson and Brees and just over an inch shorter than Rogers.

This height myth will literally have ZERO to do with his success or failure in the NFL.  If you are a capable NFL QB, you will succeed at 6'-0...I mean some of you act like he is Mugsy Bogues kind of short out there.  This kids height will NOT determine his success or failure...his ability to play QB will.  Just like Allens size in now way shape or form means he will succeed in the NFL either.  

I do not understand this fascination with Bakers height since he is taller than 2 of the best 4 QB's in the NFL.  He was listed at 6'-1" and measured just under that officially, so even your assumption of his height is wrong.  

1 minute ago, BigBuff423 said:

So here's legitimate question in my mind. We have two supremely gifted QBs in Mayfield and Rosen. One, is viewed as the silver-spoon brat who pisses all over anyone he wants because, he can....and the other is viewed a tough, charismatic leader who is misunderstood simply because he loves to win. If you've read up on both, and only if you have, please tell me which of these two present the greatest challenge to Draft based on the "character" concerns alone? In other words, which do you view as merely, "needs to grow up", vs. "he's whacked out and wont' get it right" or maybe you feel it's both or neither....I'm just curious.

That's the worst possible analysis of Rosen. Where is this coming from???

I am going to temper this with what I think will happen.

A QB needing team in top 10 sign Cousins (Broncos or Jets).  The giants decide to go with Eli and give him some tools.

This allows the Bills to get to the 7-8 range by packaging the 2 #1's, preserving the 2 second round picks.

They then pick Mayfield - getting a top 3 QB and minimizing the loss of assets.

That all said, I would be happy with Mayfield, Rosen or Darnould.  Would be very unhappy with Allen - bust is written all over him.

• Like (+1) 1

Yet you have zero guarantees that either one of them can play in NFL.  Go ahead throw away at least three picks to move up and snag one of them.  You are going to look like an idiot when it does not pan out.  Just about every talent evaluator worth a damn sees flaws in all of your day 1 starters.

No thanks, I will take my chances on what is available at 21 or I will trade 22 back (Cause we sure as hell are not drafting a QB at 22) and draft Mike White.  Who has the exact same chance of succeeding at the next level as your day one starters.

Go ahead ladies flame away. Espouse your Miss Cleo abilities.

1 minute ago, Elite Poster said:

That's the worst possible analysis of Rosen. Where is this coming from???

It wasn't my analysis, it's the very generalized, over used "opinion" of some people about Rosen. Some of them on this board, some of them elsewhere...but his detractors tend to have this basic opinion of him. No one really argues his arm or his football ability they generally question his medical concerns (those are mine as well) and his "character" issues (which are not mine). So, I ask the question: between the two really gifted, talented QBs as character has come up with both of them, which of them do you believe can correct their "issues" and which of them do you think is just stuck to being incapable of adjusting to the NFL life? If either or neither then that's fine too, and why...?

2 minutes ago, Dalton said:

I am going to temper this with what I think will happen.

A QB needing team in top 10 sign Cousins (Broncos or Jets).  The giants decide to go with Eli and give him some tools.

This allows the Bills to get to the 7-8 range by packaging the 2 #1's, preserving the 2 second round picks.

They then pick Mayfield - getting a top 3 QB and minimizing the loss of assets.

That all said, I would be happy with Mayfield, Rosen or Darnould.  Would be very unhappy with Allen - bust is written all over him.

Allen may very well not bust, but needs a year or 3 behind and Eli, Ben, Brees and hopefully not Brady (If a team trades with the Cheats* and lets them get a QB, I will forever hate that team). His ceiling is incredibly high and the natural size and talent he is great, but he is a risky choice...

My top choice for 2018 would be Cousins for the main reason of being able to keep all our draft assets and use them to build this roster out in a draft that is deep in many of the areas of need on this roster.

HOWEVER:  I do not think we will sign Cousins because someone like the Jets is going to offer a deal we won't and probably shouldn't match.

So, my actual top choice is also Baker Mayfield.  I have been saying all season that I think Baker will be the Bills QB next year and frequently got slammed for it where people said he wouldn't be anything higher than a 2nd round pick at best.  But Baker went out and continued to show that he is not only one of the top QB prospects in this draft, but has a legit argument as the top QB prospect.  

I wouldn't be upset drafting any of the other QB's linked to go in the first round, but Baker is the guy I think is the best overall prospect.  If he was 2 inches or more taller, he would probably be the unquestioned top pick in this draft, but teams and analysts always fall in love with size and there are other vey good QB prospects in this draft that fit that description.  So I think Baker can end up being the real steal of the draft as some of those guys go ahead of him.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BigBuff423 said:

Actually IMHO all (or at least most) QBs making the leap from college to the pros need to mature to some extent ... some more than others. It's my opinion that Mayfield has to mature the most of the top tier QBs in this draft. The key to my way of thinking is that there are ways to determine if Mayfield has STARTED the maturation process and understands that there is a time to set aside childish things and has started to do so.

As much as I like Mayfield, if after the public drunkenness problem he still is playing the frat party boy game, or he doesn't seem to understand the flag planting/crotch grabbing stuff doesn't play in the NFL (except for when we play the Pats*) then I'd be more than happy to throw him on the Jonny Manziel/Jamarcus Russell scrap heap of "they cudda been greats" 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Rosen would be my #1 choice, i don't think we have a shot at him or Darnold as i think they go 1 and 2. So realistically I wouldn't trade up for Mayfield or Allen, I'd love for them to sign Sam Bradford and draft Lamar Jackson. You hope and pray Bradford can be healthy for a season because if healthy all year you have an accurate thrower who could possibly compete for this division and if not, if Bradford gets injured not only do i like Jackson and think he's dynamic but i think his legs will get him out of messes if need be but the ideal situation would be to have jackson sit in the wings and soak in everything like a sponge for a year or 2.

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel