Not So Fast on a Huge Deal for Kirk Cousins says Andrew Brandt

26CornerBlitz

I think people will be shocked when he signs that he didn't just go to the highest bidder

He is going to leave money on the table to go to a better team. The Jets may back up the Brinks truck, but I think he takes less to go to a team like Arizona or Denver taking less money per year then he could have gotten. From everything he has said, he is looking for term more then money. He wants to go somewhere closer to winning and wants a long term deal. If its all about money he would let himself get franchise tagged again.

If the Bills aren't in, I think the front runners are Denver then Arizona, Minnesota could also be in the running if they are interested. Arizona has a decent team in need of a QB, Denver is the same and would have had a better record with a good QB. Minnesota was close to a SB birth and now needs to sign a QB this year. The Jets and Browns can pay him whatever he wants, but are much further away from contending then just a better QB.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

If the Bills aren't in, I think the front runners are Denver then Arizona, Minnesota could also be in the running if they are interested. Arizona has a decent team in need of a QB, Denver is the same and would have had a better record with a good QB. Minnesota was close to a SB birth and now needs to sign a QB this year. The Jets and Browns can pay him whatever he wants, but are much further away from contending then just a better QB.

If I were him Minnesota would be a slam dunk. The Bills, Broncos, and the Cardinals are a toss up. If he is true to his word about wanting to win the Jets and Browns are non starters.

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The heart of Denver's WR corps is talented, but old.  And their OL is bad.  You're durn straight I'm Cousins, I want to know the plan there.

I don't know enough about Musgrave - but I think you could argue at least the O didn't get worse after McCoy got the boot.  Word I heard was that he was doing the Roman thing, prepping and insisting on practicing 30+ plays every week, then only running 1/3 of them in a game, and Musgrave had orders to simplify.

I can't argue with your take on the Jets being uncertain, I just feel Denver has a better D.  You put your finger on it in what you say - whenever a team is stout at giving up yards and 1st downs, but bad at giving up points, ask why.  In the case of Denver, I believe it was points off turnovers.

If I'm Cousins, my first choice is the Vikes if they're interested, but I would certainly give Denver a careful listen and if I like their sales pitch, I'd put them over the Jets.

I agree with all this. Just remember that Denver went 5-11 last year with a new defensive-minded head coach and they don't have nearly enough cap space to compete with the 5-11 Jets or the 0-16 Cleveland Browns. Far, far too much uncertainty in Denver in my view. 

Like I said, my first two choices would be Jacksonville if they choose to move on from Bortles or Minnesota and the Vikes would hold the sway due to who the OC is in Minn vs the Jags OC.

I think Buffalo has an honest shot mostly because they made the playoffs last year with an actual winning record (albeit luck played a big part) Cousins is said to be a very bright guy who studies teams coaching staffs, rosters, and front office. Buffalo has a great RB in Shady McCoy and a stout run game that can help take pressure off a QB. I may be a bit Buffalo biased but Buffalo checks a lot of boxes and after hearing that if he signed here that the Bills FO would then spend all those early picks in improving the current roster

All Cousins need do is watch that AFC playoff game between Buffalo and Jacksonville to see that the team is only a better quality QB away. 

23 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Cousins says he wants to win and money is secondary. If that is the case I kinda doubt the Jets will sign him as they tear apart their team to do so!

Captain Kirk is a very bright guy and he knows who won last season and who didn't. He also knows which team has a winning staff and roster will factor into where he goes.

Minnesota and Jacksonville would be firsts. Buffalo would be next in my eyes if they don't spend all those early picks to move up in the draft. Arizona is third and Cleveland, the NY Jets, Denver are last!  I highly doubt he goes to any of those teams unless he gets no other solid offers from the others.

If Buffalo wants him I think they have a solid chance without needing to empty the vault. JMHO

maybe he's the humble ,blue collar, family guy whose made plenty of money and just wants to go to a good hearted town and fan base and help them to achieve glory.

he was born and raised in an area similar to the buffalo burbs and not far from the lake. who knows? tom brady is far from the highest paid player....

Edited by billsredneck1

23 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Cousins says he wants to win and money is secondary. If that is the case I kinda doubt the Jets will sign him as they tear apart their team to do so!

Captain Kirk is a very bright guy and he knows who won last season and who didn't. He also knows which team has a winning staff and roster will factor into where he goes.

Minnesota and Jacksonville would be firsts. Buffalo would be next in my eyes if they don't spend all those early picks to move up in the draft. Arizona is third and Cleveland, the NY Jets, Denver are last!  I highly doubt he goes to any of those teams unless he gets no other solid offers from the others.

If Buffalo wants him I think they have a solid chance without needing to empty the vault. JMHO

I agree with this.  Say what you want about the tag but it couldn't of worked out any better for Cousins.  He made a ton of money by being tagged the last few years & now he is set to hit FA.  Oh he will get his $25 mill a year, the money will be there from several teams.  Wouldn't be surprised if he left a few million on the table to go to a better situation than the NYJ.

2 minutes ago, Gordio said:

I agree with this.  Say what you want about the tag but it couldn't of worked out any better for Cousins.  He made a ton of money by being tagged the last few years & now he is set to hit FA.  Oh he will get his $25 mill a year, the money will be there from several teams.  Wouldn't be surprised if he left a few million on the table to go to a better situation than the NYJ.

I agree with this, and if Jets are leaking they'll pay him whatever he wants, they know he's not signing with them and want to drive his price up for team who does.  Just like all these rumors about Bills moving up in draft.  Makes a team like Jets think they have to move up to get their guy.  

47 minutes ago, Gordio said:

maybe buffalo could afford to go 4yr 27 mil. per. cutting taylor, glenn, ducasse and mills would lessen the cap blow this year. we would have ALL of our picks and still have a fair amount for a couple of free agents  even if we just retain gaines and brown.

Edited by billsredneck1

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

What did he do the last time he played us?

Who is “us”? Rex Ryan’s 2016 Defense? How many players and coaches remain? Why does it matter?  Btw I believe it was after that game that the infamous “ultimatum” took place from Pegula to Rex.

Edited by YoloinOhio

12 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

So have he Jets.

Cousins can't carry an offense.  

If he's not gone by the draft, he will be had at a discount.

I'm with the others who don't think Cousins goes to the Jests.  I don't think living in the NYC metro necessarily appeals to him.

I'm not sure why you are so convinced that Cousins is going to bust, but the reality is that any QB not named Tom Brady struggles to carry an offense when they don't have much of one, including Aaron Rodgers when most his WRs were knocked out of games late in the season a few years ago.  Cousins is at least on a par with Dalton and Flacco IMO, and Flacco won a Super Bowl.

12 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

I think people will be shocked when he signs that he didn't just go to the highest bidder

He is going to leave money on the table to go to a better team. The Jets may back up the Brinks truck, but I think he takes less to go to a team like Arizona or Denver taking less money per year then he could have gotten. From everything he has said, he is looking for term more then money. He wants to go somewhere closer to winning and wants a long term deal. If its all about money he would let himself get franchise tagged again.

I agree.  I think with Minnesota it depends upon whether they are interested in Cousins; I think they keep Keenum and Bridgewater myself.  I believe I read somewhere that Jax just gave Bortles an extension, so that means that they're out of the Cousins sweepstakes, leaving Denver, Phoenix, and the Bills.

For all of the many Cousins critics here, I suggest looking at Washington's overall stats the past three years. If you do, it becomes abundantly clear that this is basically a 3-13 team that gets to .500 because of elite QB play. The defense is consistently awful in the main categories, and the run game has been execrable. He is a really good player whose passing numbers compare to Drew Brees. Cousins will make a team like the Jets, which has elite defensive talent, a LOT better. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/2017.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/2016.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/2015.htm

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2

On 2/20/2018 at 11:04 AM, KelsaysLunchbox said:

It's not like Minnesota would offer him $5 million a year for a shot at winning while the Jets offer up $30 million a year to be...well a Jet.

He will get paid huge by whomever lands him. I do believe if a team can offer a better shot to win he might take slightly less...but any way you slice it he's getting a ridiculous contract from someone.

Right.  The SI PIECE is nonsense.  A top 10 an in his prime isn't going to get a big contract?  Ridiculous. 

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

What did he do the last time he played us?

He ran in a touchdown from about 35 yards out I seem to remember.  Unsurprisingly for the Rex Ryan defense they appeared not to be lined up correctly on the play.  

Cousins would immediately make the Jets a threat for 2nd spot in the division. I'm also pretty sure he'd stop them from ever dominating the division so if we could find our guy in this draft it wouldn't worry me.  If we can't then it is probably another team we are behind.  

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He ran in a touchdown from about 35 yards out I seem to remember.  Unsurprisingly for the Rex Ryan defense they appeared not to be lined up correctly on the play.  

Cousins would immediately make the Jets a threat for 2nd spot in the division. I'm also pretty sure he'd stop them from ever dominating the division so if we could find our guy in this draft it wouldn't worry me.  If we can't then it is probably another team we are behind.  

His numbers are very comparable to Brees' elite numbers when the latter played for a bunch of 7-9 teams. Brees made a 3-13 team a 7-9 team with his elite play. Washington has been a bad team outside of their passing game, and the stats show it pretty clearly. 

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

His numbers are very comparable to Brees' elite numbers when the latter played for a bunch of 7-9 teams. Brees made a 3-13 team a 7-9 team with his elite play. Washington has been a bad team outside of their passing game, and the stats show it pretty clearly. 

The Washington defense has been poor.  The Saints defense was historically bad.  No team has ever had a two year stretch as bad as their 2015 and 2016 defenses. His weapons in 2015 and 2016 were among the best in the league.  One of the most impressive things about Cousins' 2017 was that he almost managed to maintain his performance (only a slight dip) with much worse offensive talent around him (his line which was also good in 15 and 16 was all injured and his receivers without DJax and Garcon sucked). 

I don't hate Cousins.  I think he is a borderline top 10 Quarterback.  He is going to get paid big.  But him going to the Jets doesn't make me think "automatic playoff team."  He needs pieces around him and his big salary is going to make putting enough pieces around him to make them a regular contender very hard. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Limeaid said:
16 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

A damn link was already embedded in what I posted. 

No the damn link was in the page it was linked to.

those pictures have links?  

16 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Yes indirectly it is there. In fact some people cannot even go to twit site.

twitter is for twitts  

Why Kirk Cousins to the Vikings Makes the Most Sense
Most NFL coaches agree: Kirk Cousins is a system quarterback. A high-level system QB, sure, but a system QB nonetheless. In other words, Cousins is not someone you build around—he’s someone you plug in. His arm is good, not great. Same goes for his athleticism. His pocket mobility and toughness have improved each year, which is notable given that most NFL systems center around traditional dropback passing. When playing on-script, Cousins is efficient. But off script, he can be erratic.

:thumbsup:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

For all of the many Cousins critics here, I suggest looking at Washington's overall stats the past three years. If you do, it becomes abundantly clear that this is basically a 3-13 team that gets to .500 because of elite QB play. The defense is consistently awful in the main categories, and the run game has been execrable. He is a really good player whose passing numbers compare to Drew Brees. Cousins will make a team like the Jets, which has elite defensive talent, a LOT better. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/2017.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/2016.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/2015.htm

Stats only count when they make TT look good   (I've been told as much here ;)

On 2/20/2018 at 9:55 AM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....strange how the "franchise QB" is highly coveted here and elsewhere......seem to be far and few between, yet Cousins' jersey apparently says "FRANCHISE QB" on the back.....sure it is Boy Danny Snyder and his gang, but Bruce Allen was a pretty well respected guy in TB (his old man was George, not too bad of a football guy)....so why if the Deadskins have this rare specimen are they so willing to part with it?........sure isn't the money....Snyder throws money and picks around like a drunken sailor....sure doesn't make a helluva lot of sense to me........

Thats why they franchise tagged him multiple times.  If they thought he was truly a franchise qb they would have given him a huge contract.  They wanted him to prove he either could or couldnt carry the team and put up monster numbers.

18 hours ago, FearLess Price said:

Why is denver last? They have the best WR corps out of every team you named besides the Vikings. Arizona has a much better run game than we do now so they wouls be ahead of us too.

I think you just want Cousins and are doing mental gymnastics to make it work.

Sorry bud, we are not signing kirk. We are trading up for a franchise rookie QB.

Edit: if Cousins goes to Jax, they instantly become a Super Bowl favorite. 

Jets have a solid defense and a few good WRs that got hurt last year. With a few good draft picks and Cousins under center the Jets might become dominant so lets hope not.

Denver would be crazy over the cap if they signed him, they would have to sell a huge chunk of their talent to make it work for him.  not much gymnastics needed to crunch those numbers

Can someone please explain to me why people think the Vikings are in the driver seat to sign him?  They were 1 game away from the show with keenum in his first season with the team.  Even if cousins is better than all 3 qbs they have why would they spend insane money to sign him.  Even if he is better than all 3, its not a huge gap so this makes 0 sense to me.  not to mention it doesnt show much loyalty to any of those 3 if they cut them all and sign another player. but hey

59 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

Thats why they franchise tagged him multiple times.  If they thought he was truly a franchise qb they would have given him a huge contract.  They wanted him to prove he either could or couldnt carry the team and put up monster numbers.

.......could understand one year, but a $44 million dollar "look see" seems a bit absurd......not to mention he has been a Deadskin since 2012.....

9 hours ago, SoTier said:

I'm with the others who don't think Cousins goes to the Jests.  I don't think living in the NYC metro necessarily appeals to him.

I'm not sure why you are so convinced that Cousins is going to bust, but the reality is that any QB not named Tom Brady struggles to carry an offense when they don't have much of one, including Aaron Rodgers when most his WRs were knocked out of games late in the season a few years ago.  Cousins is at least on a par with Dalton and Flacco IMO, and Flacco won a Super Bowl.

Never said he would bust.

9 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Now Cousins is "elite"??  He has one season over 4200 yards.  He's never passed for 30 TDs.  

Compares to Brees? Brees, 17 years in had his worst statistical season in years....and he still was better than Cousins.

The Jets would be better with Foles, Keenum.......maybe even Peterman.

10 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Why Kirk Cousins to the Vikings Makes the Most Sense
Most NFL coaches agree: Kirk Cousins is a system quarterback. A high-level system QB, sure, but a system QB nonetheless. In other words, Cousins is not someone you build around—he’s someone you plug in. His arm is good, not great. Same goes for his athleticism. His pocket mobility and toughness have improved each year, which is notable given that most NFL systems center around traditional dropback passing. When playing on-script, Cousins is efficient. But off script, he can be erratic.

:thumbsup:

Two separate points about this, Corner Man. 

First, in case you haven't noticed, McDermott is a system coach.   McDermott wants his players to learn the system, plug into the system, and play in accordance with the system.   That's what he wants.  He doesn't want Brett Favre or some other gunslinger.   He wants a guy who buys into the system, 100%.   He wants a guy who will do his job, every play.   And that is exactly what Cousins strives to be, every day.  Cousins has been a top 10 QB for three years doing just that. 

Second, you call Cousins a system quarterback as thought that's some kind of dirty word or put down.  Who is the greatest system quarterback of all time?  Good arm, not great.  Below average athleticism.  Pocket awareness and mobility increased somewhat over his career, but it isn't great.   Off script is terrible, so he never goes off script.   He just throws the ball away or goes down.   Who is that?   It's Tom Brady, that's who.   Who doesn't want a guy like that?   

I've been saying it for a month - Cousins is good quarterback and he's a good fit for McDermott.  They think alike.  He also is a midwest guy, so Buffalo likely will be appealing.   (He hasn't said this and I don't know it, but he probably doesn't want to be in New York City - it's DC and then some.)   He also is a serious Christian, as is McDermott.    Cousins is thoughtful - he will want this to be his last NFL team.  He will be interested in winning over the long run, not necessarily winning in 2018, so he will want a team that has a solid foundation and will build year after year, which is what McDermott says and looks like he is doing.  And Cousins isn't the kind of guy who's going to chase the last dollar; he's going want good compensation and the right situation.   Buffalo can manage the cap to compete on the dollars.   

So I don't see that Buffalo is any less likely to get Cousins than anyone else; in fact, when he's done his homework Cousins could easily decide that Buffalo is where he MOST wants to be.   

Finally, something I've said once before.   Several years ago at about this time of year lots of people were saying it was foolish to talk about Mario Williams coming to Buffalo.  The Bills wouldn't spend the money, Williams wouldn't want to play there, he'd fit better here or there.   Almost until the day it happened, people were saying it couldn't happen.   Now, it didn't work out as well as people hoped, but the point is that it doesn't make sense to believe the Bills can't get Cousins because, well, who wants to come to Buffalo?   Turns out a lot of people want to come to Buffalo, and Cousins could very well be one of them. 

• Thank you (+1) 1