What RB I would target in the draft

Buffalo716

Freeman would be a great fit in the middle rounds.

Other guys that might fit: Josh Adams (ND)

N.Chubb (UGA)

D.Richard (Ariz St)

R.Penny (SDSU)

It looks like Michel will be gone in the first 50 picks and that's too high for the Bills to select a RB this draft.

10 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

There are other guys I'd prefer at 21 and 22. I really want Taven Bryan, Christian Kirk, Vita Vea, any of the top 5 QBs. If the board fell a certain way, I do think Guice would not disappoint.

While I REALLY don’t think drafting a WR in the first isna smart idea, I really do love Kirk.  Vea is the most no brainer pick other than QB.  If he’s there at 21 and we’re selecting (21 and 22), he needs to be taken with one of those two picks

11 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Again probably a second round pick...

i want to identify a 3rd round pick and back... 

i don't believe we can take a RB top 2 rounds... way too many holes 

RB number two is one of the biggest weaknesses on the roster and none of us should complain if the Bills decided to tackle this issue high in the draft. It's THAT big of a weakness.

Presuming he received a Combine invite, it would be interesting to see what he runs at the Combine as far as 20 & 40 yard time. He's a strong runner, has some nice shiftiness to his game, but looks a bit slow in terms of that straight speed. At this point I think a 3rd is at least a round too high for him. If he runs a fast 40 time, or even a great 20 split, he could find himself in the top of the 4th, but given the absolute beast of a Draft this one is for RBs, I think 5th is probably where he belongs. JMO of course. 

The bills should pass on qb and draft 2 running backs with pick 21 and 22. This would be the smart thing to do because the bills rarely make moves for running backs. 

In all seriousness, I hope I never have to hear about the bills drafting a qb high in the draft ever again. Lynch, spiller, Mccoy (not drafted but a big trade). I'm perfectly fine with cadet as McCoy's backup. Please buffalo do not waste a draft pick on a running back 

It seems like Rashad Penny is getting a lot of sleeper hype, but something about him just seems off to me. He seems kinda stiff when he runs or something. I just have a bad feeling he isn't going to be more than a "he'll get whatever yards the line blocks for him" type of guy.

If we're talking Day 3 guys, I already mentioned Martez Carter and Nyheim Hines, but Mark Walton is another guy I like.

8 hours ago, yungmack said:

You wouldn't take him unless you were replacing Shady but I really like Ronald Jones.

Outside of Saquon, he's easily my favorite RB in this class

Edited by DCOrange

I want to really like Rashaad Penny as a 3rd round pick...BUT, who the hell has he played against? Toughest competition this season was Stanford and its not even close. Watch any game film/highlight reel and its mostly him running around untouched or breaking one arm tackle. This is loads different than what he will see in the NFL....but, I guess thats why he might be available in the 3rd/4th round and not a 1st/2nd rounder...

I want to draft a RB, but I also want us to be active in FA to have at least two other legitimate backs in case Shady gets hurt and/or to spell him more frequently. The FA back doesnt need to be a world beater, but competency is required. 

Some FA: 

Rex Burkhead (probably resigned by NE)

Dion Lewis (can NE afford both of these guys?)

Damien Williams

Orleans Darkwa

Carlos Hyde

Travaris Cadet (bring him back maybe)

*I would guess whatever rookie RB we draft will have to contribute on special teams as well....Penny certainly does that with returning punts/kicks

I'm sorry but with the condition that our offensive line is in right now...offensive line comes before running back.  We can pick up a 4-5 round guy maybe but in my opinion that's as high as we go with so many more pressing needs.  That being said, this class is so deep someone has to fall.  Barkley, Guice, Jones, Kerryon Johnson, Chubb, Freeman, Wadley, Adams, Scarbrough, Pettway, Carter, Penny, and an underrated Nyheim Hines.  I like Hines out of NC State.  He is fast and has some cut ability but could really learn from Mccoy.  However, I think we will be looking for a bigger back, someone that can change the pace.  Tolbert had a game or two that he was good.  There's just too many to choose from right now not knowing who'd be there and who falls into our lap.  There's big talented classes at the interior OL, RB, DT, QB and LB...just what the doctor ordered.

Edited by Buffalo30
  • Like (+1) 1

I can see the Carolina boys liking Royce Freeman because he reminds me of Jonathan Stewart but the guy I really want is Jaylen Samuels from NCST. He's a RB/FB/HB/WR/TE all rolled into one. Has a knack for the endzone and makes ridiculous catches from the slot and out the backfield. 

I can totally see the Patriots targeting him in the 2nd and 3rd and turning him into a stud. 

Other guys I like are Mark Walton and Rashaad Penny.

13 hours ago, NewEra said:

But do you really want to spend a 1st or 2nd rd pick on a RB in a good RB class?  I really like him too, as well as many backs in this draft.  I would just prefer to draft one in rd 3 or later.  If we trade up for a QB, I probably wouldn’t draft one at all.  There will be someone sufficient in FA.  In truth we have 2 pieces of our front 7 in place (Hughes and Milano).  One has a big contract and could be dealt while the other is promising yet still unproven.  The other 5 spots on the line need to be filled before we draft a backup RB

I hear ya and I agree with not wanting to spend the pick in rd 1 or 2 on a rb.  

I agree 100 percent.

Bills have so many holes on this team and RB is not one of them yet.

I hope they don’t touch one until the 4th

7 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

I can see the Carolina boys liking Royce Freeman because he reminds me of Jonathan Stewart but the guy I really want is Jaylen Samuels from NCST. He's a RB/FB/HB/WR/TE all rolled into one. Has a knack for the endzone and makes ridiculous catches from the slot and out the backfield. 

I can totally see the Patriots targeting him in the 2nd and 3rd and turning him into a stud. 

Other guys I like are Mark Walton and Rashaad Penny.

Mark Walton for sure.  If he can stay healthy he could be a steal.

11 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

What is Bo Scarborough's deal? 

5 star recruit out of high school, big size and speed, huge land for Nick Saban, run oriented offense...why didn't he ever really produce/why isn't he a top notch NFL prospect? (time share? injury?)

Look at his college production...it's lacking to say the least.  He didn't get a ton of carries.  I think teams see him as only a split or goal line option.  Doesn't have great hands.  Being able to catch the football as a running back nowadays is what teams seem to be looking for.  I think he is a legitimate option for us.  

1 minute ago, Buffalo30 said:

Look at his college production...it's lacking to say the least.  He didn't get a ton of carries.  I think teams see him as only a split or goal line option.  Doesn't have great hands.  Being able to catch the football as a running back nowadays is what teams seem to be looking for.  I think he is a legitimate option for us.  

yea his lack of college production is what I was referring to when I asked "what is the deal" and "Why didnt he ever really produce"? I can see lack of use, and am wondering why....lack of hands eh? Seems like it would have to be more than that...Daboll should know best though

1 minute ago, PaattMaann said:

yea his lack of college production is what I was referring to when I asked "what is the deal" and "Why didnt he ever really produce"? I can see lack of use, and am wondering why....lack of hands eh? Seems like it would have to be more than that...Daboll should know best though

He's mostly a question mark at this point due to his lack of carries.  Makes me wonder if he has work ethic problems or other things that would have made him take less carries.  Then again, Harris was a solid back.  I'm sure Daboll will have input.  It'll be interesting to see what type of running back they go for.  There is every kind of back you can ever want in this class.  

24 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

From my Bana fan friends that closely follow them he doesnt want to put the work in. Lazy. Hard to coach thinks his talent out of HS was going to carry him. Was given every opportunity in spring ball to claim the top spot and didnt put the work in. Saban is HUGE on putting the work in ala McD. I dont see him as a fit because of those comments from my Buddies. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

From my Bana fan friends that closely follow them he doesnt want to put the work in. Lazy. Hard to coach thinks his talent out of HS was going to carry him. Was given every opportunity in spring ball to claim the top spot and didnt put the work in. Saban is HUGE on putting the work in ala McD. I dont see him as a fit because of those comments from my Buddies. 

exactly the info I was looking for, thanks! 

10 minutes ago, Finkle Is Einhorn said:

Kareem Hunt is FBS MAC...he's doing pretty well

if you saw my earlier post regarding Penny, you would see that I really do want to like him and love the idea of being able to nab a potential future RB1 in the 3rd/4th round....but who he played against worries me. Highlights/game tape is full of him running around untouched 

And personally i think the MAC is better football than the Mountain West 

4 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

exactly the info I was looking for, thanks! 

Yep not a problem. I was wondering as well with the Size Speed and talent of this kid why he didnt become the best back in NCAA. So i asked my buddies for their opinions. 

They also add looks like AP in his run style but gets hurt alot. Has zero hands offers no value on third down. 

Edited by MAJBobby

26 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

he did look really good playing D 2 schools 

I completely agree that Penny played against a lower level of competition. However, I just wanted to clarify that San Diego State is in the Mountain West Conference, which is Division 1 (FBS). Personally, I'm not blown away by Penny. I am concerned about the level of competition, and as another poster mentioned, he seems to run with a little bit of stiffness. I'm also a little concerned about his production being a product of the system he is in -- Donnel Pumphrey ran for over over 2,000 yards in 2016 at San Diego State as a 5'8", 178lb RB.

Just now, Tommy said:

I completely agree that Penny played against a lower level of competition. However, I just wanted to clarify that San Diego State is in the Mountain West Conference, which is Division 1 (FBS). Personally, I'm not blown away by Penny. I am concerned about the level of competition, and as another poster mentioned, he seems to run with a little bit of stiffness. I'm also a little concerned about his production being a product of the system he is in -- Donnel Pumphrey ran for over over 2,000 yards in 2016 at San Diego State as a 5'8", 178lb RB.

my D 2 school comment was in jest....I know SD St is in the Mountain West...but the mountain west sucks at footballing

Big question with Penny is: can his talent play in the NFL or is his production based on the poor level of Comp in college? 

2 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

Because the Bills already have Shady, I would look to sign the best undrafted guy I could find - or get a decent affordable backup back in free agency - like Cadet was.

and then what is your plan for IF shady gets injured / hits the year 30 RB wall / in another year or two when Shady is done? 

Your solution just seems to be kick the can down the road or do what we did last year and bet all in on Shady....I think many of us here and hopefully the FO realize we need to address the RB position for now and the future...

Above in the post I did mention addressing the RB spot in FA (possibly resigning Cadet) but we also need to add play makers on offense/ST and the RB position is certainly a way to do that via this draft 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

and then what is your plan for IF shady gets injured / hits the year 30 RB wall / in another year or two when Shady is done? 

Your solution just seems to be kick the can down the road or do what we did last year and bet all in on Shady....I think many of us here and hopefully the FO realize we need to address the RB position for now and the future...

Above in the post I did mention addressing the RB spot in FA (possibly resigning Cadet) but we also need to add play makers on offense/ST and the RB position is certainly a way to do that via this draft 

I am on board with a RB in draft. If value is there. In 3rd round or later (prefer later)

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, thunderingsquid said:

Freeman is so much faster than Stewart it's not funny.  I saw both out here and it's no contest.

Stewart ran a 4.46 sec 40 

How could he possibly be "so much faster" and "no contest"

8 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I am on board with a RB in draft. If value is there. In 3rd round or later (prefer later)

Unless a stud is avail in round 2 and your other targeted guys were already picked

15 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

I'm not betting "all" on Shady.     I prefer an elite back like him to an average guy, but I don't see the need to spend good draft capital (round 4 or better) on a backup running back or a guy you intend to "groom" or whatever.     Decent backup backs are numerous.   Tolbert is not one.     The other guys they had here were.    In the offense I would like to see the Bills run, a decent back is good enough as a backup and the dropoff from Shady to a decent backup back will not be that much.

I would much, much, much rather spend that draft capital on an offensive line prospect way before I would spend it on a running back.   If your offensive line is great, you can throw any back behind it and your run game will be productive.    Yes you are better off with elite running backs.   We already have one.   I wait till he is done before I go after another elite guy.   And decent backup backs can be had undrafted in my opinion- or from the scrapheap of other teams who bring in a new younger guy.

8 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Stewart ran a 4.46 sec 40 

How could he possibly be "so much faster" and "no contest"

Unless a stud is avail in round 2 and your other targeted guys were already picked

I am not even sure i would use a 2nd on a RB. The value to me just isnt there. Year after year RBs excel in this league from the later rounds. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo30 said:

He's mostly a question mark at this point due to his lack of carries.  Makes me wonder if he has work ethic problems or other things that would have made him take less carries.  Then again, Harris was a solid back.  I'm sure Daboll will have input.  It'll be interesting to see what type of running back they go for.  There is every kind of back you can ever want in this class.  

I would be concerned if it was any other school.  Alabama over recruits and they are the worst at it for RBs.  Just look in the NFL this past year.  Drake for Miami couldnt break the starting lineup, and Karma had to transfer because he couldn't get on the field there.  He is a one cut runner with not much wear and tear.  In the middle rounds he would a target of mine.   

8 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I am not even sure i would use a 2nd on a RB. The value to me just isnt there. Year after year RBs excel in this league from the later rounds. 

I think RBs are an even bigger crapshoot than most

When you look at the number of 2nd round and later guys that excel, it's astounding vs the number that don't.

I guess what I'm saying is I'll agree that you might as well just take one later because it's insane how many don't play well

17 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

I'm not betting "all" on Shady.     I prefer an elite back like him to an average guy, but I don't see the need to spend good draft capital (round 4 or better) on a backup running back or a guy you intend to "groom" or whatever.     Decent backup backs are numerous.   Tolbert is not one.     The other guys they had here were.    In the offense I would like to see the Bills run, a decent back is good enough as a backup and the dropoff from Shady to a decent backup back will not be that much.

I would much, much, much rather spend that draft capital on an offensive line prospect way before I would spend it on a running back.   If your offensive line is great, you can throw any back behind it and your run game will be productive.    Yes you are better off with elite running backs.   We already have one.   I wait till he is done before I go after another elite guy.   And decent backup backs can be had undrafted in my opinion- or from the scrapheap of other teams who bring in a new younger guy.

I do agree about fixing/building the o-line over a RB....that is why this thread is dedicated to discussing late round RB options...are you THAT polish? : ) 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PaattMaann said:

I do agree about fixing/building the o-line over a RB....that is why this thread is dedicated to discussing late round RB options...are you THAT polish? : ) 

I missed that in the thread title.  My bad.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, PolishDave said:

I missed that in the thread title.  My bad.

wasnt in the title but was in the OP

15 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

We all know the Bills need a Better RB to spell Shady. But should we acquire him in FA or the draft?

This is a pretty deep RB class with good RBs through the first 3 maybe 4 rounds...

I guy I would really have my eyes on would be Royce Freeman of Oregon. He is big (6ft 230lb) runs with good vision and patience and can be the bruiser we need in the run game

He can block, and has decent hands as well so he is versatile 

spelling Shady he will be even more effective and would be a great compliment to our run game 

He is comfortable in a zone or power scheme as well

id love to have him in the 3rd or 4th if he somehow fell

(Discussion of Mid/Late round picks)