NY Post interview with Baker Mayfield: He loves NYC

YoloinOhio

Q: Tell me why Baker Mayfield and New York City would be a perfect marriage.
A: (Laugh) I think I thrive under the spotlight, I live for a big moment. Honestly, it doesn’t get much bigger than being in New York. It’s a big stage, it’s a lot of criticism and a lot of expectations, but I love having high expectations. I’m the type of guy, I rise to the occasion, so setting the bar high for me has always been the fundamental thing, setting my expectations at the highest point and so I think it goes hand-in-hand with being in New York.

Q: Well how does Broadway Baker sound?
A: Broadway Baker (chuckle). I don’t think I’ll ever be on Broadway. But if it means I’m in New York I think I’ll be happy.

Mayfield to the Jets is becoming a pretty popular mock pick. I'm still not sure Bowles and Mike Maccagnan are going to hitch their future to a young guy. They were gifted two year extensions, I think go the veteran route. I don't know why they wouldn't go all in on Cousins. 

It's interesting, the NYC writer's first question is a command to, "Tell me why Baker Mayfield and New York City would be a perfect marriage." And Mayfield laughs.

And says he'd love to go to Cleveland if they draft him.

The Post's headline, about "NYC Love" was more than a bit ridiculous, but thanks for posting it, as the rest of the article was pretty interesting. I don't think there was any NYC love there except maybe of the "I'd love anyone who drafted me" type. 

Edited by Thurman#1

5 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Mayfield to the Jets is becoming a pretty popular mock pick. I'm still not sure Bowles and Mike Maccagnan are going to hitch their future to a young guy. They were gifted two year extensions, I think go the veteran route. I don't know why they wouldn't go all in on Cousins. 

Frankly, Cousins should be OPTION 1 for any team needing a QB this off season, including the Bills.  He costs anyone that signs him only money, not draft picks.  He is a known quantity.  He has shown he can produce with less than optimal talent around him.  That's worth the contract.  If you try your best and miss on Cousins, then you look at your other options, including the draft.  The best thing the Bills could do this off season, is sign Cousins.  You can't possibly say right now that Cousins in your hand, is worse than the unkown of going to draft day wondering who will be picked where, if your guy will be gone, if you can work a deal with a willing partner if he is there, and then if you get your guy, if he will actually turn out good.  In this unusual year when a Cousins is actaully on the market..you get Cousins if at all possible.

I think Baker is a stud. He's got the killer instinct, that Kobe, Jordan, Brady, and all the greats have

sime call it cockiness or attitude problems, I see a kid who LOVES the game of football and plays it with the upmost passion 

I still don't know if he will go top 10 and here's why... GMs have REAL trepidation about drafting a short QB top 10

ive been around the game my whole life and I can't think of many modern QBs who were drafted in the top 10 and were 6'1 or shorter

Michael Vick went 1st overall and is the only QB I can think of... but he was one of the most athletically gifted people alive and had an amazing arm and footwork

i guess what I'm saying is if he falls to 10 or 11 which wouldn't shock me id pounce all over it

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I think Baker is a stud. He's got the killer instinct, that Kobe, Jordan, Brady, and all the greats have

sime call it cockiness or attitude problems, I see a kid who LOVES the game of football and plays it with the upmost passion 

I still don't know if he will go top 10 and here's why... GMs have REAL trepidation about drafting a short QB top 10

ive been around the game my whole life and I can't think of many modern QBs who were drafted in the top 10 and were 6'1 or shorter

Michael Vick went 1st overall and is the only QB I can think of... but he was one of the most athletically gifted people alive and had an amazing arm and footwork

Sounds good to me , we won't have to mortgage the farm to get Mayfield.

(Also makes me laugh when people say Jackson is on par with or even better athlete than Vick, not even close)

15 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

i guess what I'm saying is if he falls to 10 or 11 which wouldn't shock me id pounce all over it

My prediction in the QB Carousel thread is that The Saints will trade up to draft him in the teens 

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Sounds good to me , we won't have to mortgage the farm to get Mayfield.

(Also makes me laugh when people say Jackson is on par with or even better athlete than Vick, not even close)

Lamar is super gifted and is definitely a top end athlete. He's even taller than Michael 

But Vick was built man. He was chiseled, and he was clearly the fastest man on the field every time he touched it til he was about 28.. he ran away from nfl defensive backs

I don't know if Lamar is that fast

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

My prediction in the QB Carousel thread is that The Saints will trade up to draft him in the teens 

Not a bad prediction. Perfect fit

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Lamar is super gifted and is definitely a top end athlete. He's even taller than Michael 

But Vick was built man. He was chiseled, and he was clearly the fastest man on the field every time he touched it til he was about 28.. he ran away from nfl defensive backs

I don't know if Lamar is that fast

Probably not as fast but Nobody was as shifty as Vick (at QB) not even Lamar.

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Probably not as fast but Nobody was as shifty as Vick (at QB) not even Lamar.

Probably not . I've seen Lamar hurdle players so he really gifted

but

vick also learned you can't juke and jive for a 10 year career. You will get your leg snapped...

you can however run while protecting yourself some what , and you couldn't catch vick until he scored or ran out of bounds ... and his arm is much better and more fluid than Lamar

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1