Scout on Rudolph

CuddyDark

Scout's Quote: "You have him in Round 2 and I just don't see it. He has a weak arm and plays in a bulls--t scheme. Bryce Petty all over again"

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2758603-scouts-report-the-most-overrated-prospects-in-the-2018-nfl-draft-class?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CuddyDark said:

Scout's Quote: "You have him in Round 2 and I just don't see it. He has a weak arm and plays in a bulls--t scheme. Bryce Petty all over again"

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2758603-scouts-report-the-most-overrated-prospects-in-the-2018-nfl-draft-class?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

Mayock likes him

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Yep

11 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

10 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

Mayock likes him

In the BR article they cut to the bottom line:

"The issue with grading quarterbacks for the entire league (media) and not just one team is that flaws in a player's game might make him an awful fit for some teams and fine for others. If you want an athletic quarterback that can move, Rudolph isn't your guy. "

A lot of the real questions in QB evaluation aren't questions that the media in general can answer, and possibly not the "Scout" quoted anonymously either: What's his head like?  What kind of understanding does he have of pro-level defenses and how to read them? 

I don't see the 'weak arm' thing.  My concern is how often does he progress in his reads and throw into tight windows?  In the film clips I've seen, he does it, but you have to dig deep to find it.  Is that just because those throws may not be flashy "deep bomb" TD highlights, or is it because he doesn't do it enough?  Second concern is, I wasn't able to build a sense that he can feel pressure and adjust in the pocket.  I think that classic pocket passers who lack that sense get hurt in the NFL (eg Bradford)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Bills already have a QB like Rudolph and his name is Peterman. I see no way the Bills are in play for him.

Considering the fact that last year the Bills traded away the opportunity to draft either Mahomes or Watson, I think that the Bills are on the hook to give maximum effort in finding the QB answer who will be either as good or better than those two QBs. The QBs that fit that mold are Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Allen orJackson.

If they draft Rudolph, the next 10 years will probably be filled with repeated questions of why they just didn't draft either Mahomes or Watson when they had the chance instead of being stuck with a low level starter during their era in Buffalo.

IMO, the Bills will do something big for the QB position because of how bright the futures of Mahomes and Watson look right now.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, 1billsfan said:

The Bills already have a QB like Rudolph and his name is Peterman. I see no way the Bills are in play for him.

Considering the fact that last year the Bills traded away the opportunity to draft either Mahomes or Watson, I think that the Bills are on the hook to give maximum effort in finding the QB answer who will be either as good or better than those two QBs. The QBs that fit that mold are Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Allen orJackson.

If they draft Rudolph, the next 10 years will probably be filled with repeated questions of why they just didn't draft either Mahomes or Watson when they had the chance instead of being stuck with a low level starter during their era in Buffalo.

IMO, the Bills will do something big for the QB position because of how bright the futures of Mahomes and Watson look right now.

That's the context from which I am looking at this draft.  I hope OBD is as well.

9 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Mayock’s weakest attribute when it comes to his draft expertise is his knowledge of the QB position.

Its certainly better then ghost "scouts" who wont even put their name on their evaluation

Mayock sits out front and center for everyone to see....and is more often right then he is wrong

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

That's the context from which I am looking at this draft.  I hope OBD is as well.

If they are, Bills fans probably shouldn't get too attached to the idea of them have two first round picks because they're probably making a move upward for a QB.

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

If you want a seasoned pocket passer with pretty good touch accuracy, he is a decent option.

Yeah, that’s a big reason to hate Rudolph.

I question the entire validity of the article. Too many “he’s good, but...” takes, none of which sound like actual scouting lingo. And teams just don’t share info on prospects at this time of year when boards are in the earliest phases of construction. 

14 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

Its certainly better then ghost "scouts" who wont even put their name on their evaluation

Mayock sits out front and center for everyone to see....and is more often right then he is wrong

Posted in the Mayock/WGR thread, but it bears reposting here:

I like Mayock for what he brings in his role as a media analyst, but that’s as far as it goes. He is not a scout and doesn’t possess a fraction of the insight on all these players as scouts and other personnel evaluators do. It’s just not his full time gig. I take everything he says with a grain of salt. From Sanchez over Stafford to Gabbert over Newton and the many players at positions in between over the years, his “evaluations” leave a lot to be desired. 

37 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

"The issue with grading quarterbacks for the entire league (media) and not just one team is that flaws in a player's game might make him an awful fit for some teams and fine for others. If you want an athletic quarterback that can move, Rudolph isn't your guy. "

A lot of the real questions in QB evaluation aren't questions that the media in general can answer, and possibly not the "Scout" quoted anonymously either: What's his head like?  What kind of understanding does he have of pro-level defenses and how to read them? 

I don't see the 'weak arm' thing.  My concern is how often does he progress in his reads and throw into tight windows?  In the film clips I've seen, he does it, but you have to dig deep to find it.  Is that just because those throws may not be flashy "deep bomb" TD highlights, or is it because he doesn't do it enough?  Second concern is, I wasn't able to build a sense that he can feel pressure and adjust in the pocket.  I think that classic pocket passers who lack that sense get hurt in the NFL (eg Bradford)

I also noticed that. the scheme he was in didnt require more than one read most of the time. And like you said he has film with a few multi reads but they are too far between for me to want us to trade up for him. Rather we trade up for the top 3.

28 minutes ago, 1billsfan said:

NP wishes his deep throw accuracy was as good as Rudolphs. Disagree there but I do agree on the Mahomes Watson thing. If we dont trade up for a top 3 prospect now and settle for one of the other late rounders, and he dont turn into the next Brady we will be talking about the KC trade for years.

13 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

I also noticed that. the scheme he was in didnt require more than one read most of the time. And like you said he has film with a few multi reads but they are too far between for me to want us to trade up for him. Rather we trade up for the top 3.

NP wishes his deep throw accuracy was as good as Rudolphs. Disagree there but I do agree on the Mahomes Watson thing. If we dont trade up for a top 3 prospect now and settle for one of the other late rounders, and he dont turn into the next Brady we will be talking about the KC trade for years.

This is all assuming that Mahommes actually ends up being a good NFL quarterback.....which he did not show last year....people can say he sat behind Smith for the year but the fact is if he was beating him out in camp and practice he would be playing.

On the other hand.....they did get an immediate starter and one of the best rookie players out of the draft in Tre White.

Even if he only ends up being a mid level starter.....it would still be a win.   There is no guarantee ANY of these guys are gonna be top 5 guys

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, 1billsfan said:

What has he proved? Watson I get because we passed on him and so did a bunch of other teams and he was surreal last year. But the Mahomes buyer remorse makes zero sense to me when the guy played one game which didn't matter and was a typical rookie with some good some bad. With the fact Watson is good statistically its actually worse odds that Mahomes works out given the hit weight on first round QBs.

Its insane how when a guy hasn't played more the a single game if at all people freak out like we missed on the guy when his trajectory is more likely Blaine Gabbert.

I was one of the skeptics on Goff because of the system he played in at Cal and his first season being so awful. But he was able to prove a lot of us wrong. QB's are incredibly hard to predict and if the Bills draft Rudolph Im gonna hope for the best. Unless your name is Luck Manning or Elway someone doubted you

8 minutes ago, billspro said:

I think he is a much better prospect than Petty. He has a chance to be a middle of the pack starter in the NFL.

I could see him as Flacco pre knee injury or even a guy like Golf who in the right scheme can be accurate and hit some deep throws.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, corta765 said:

What has he proved? Watson I get because we passed on him and so did a bunch of other teams and he was surreal last year. But the Mahomes buyer remorse makes zero sense to me when the guy played one game which didn't matter and was a typical rookie with some good some bad. With the fact Watson is good statistically its actually worse odds that Mahomes works out given the hit weight on first round QBs.

Its insane how when a guy hasn't played more the a single game if at all people freak out like we missed on the guy when his trajectory is more likely Blaine Gabbert.

I was one of the skeptics on Goff because of the system he played in at Cal and his first season being so awful. But he was able to prove a lot of us wrong. QB's are incredibly hard to predict and if the Bills draft Rudolph Im gonna hope for the best. Unless your name is Luck Manning or Elway someone doubted you

You have a few poster's on here that continuously parrot Mahommes being the next great QB.....I mean....be a fan of the kid if you want but he has shown NOTHING up to this point to make you believe he is the next great thing.....

Right now?   that draft trade down is looking pretty good.....REGARDLESS of what happens in the draft at the QB position.

(I am not saying I dont want to draft a QB high....only that the bills have already won the KC trade)

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, 1billsfan said:

That shouldnt be the question, considering this FO wasnt in place. McD was here, but that is it. He would have been crazy to rely on Whaley's team's QB scouting reports to pin his HC career on so early in. Completely different scouting and personnel department between 2017 draft and 2018 draft.

To that point though, I'd hope this staff doesnt make the same mistake as the last one, and not move forward quick enough with another QB pick. It could definitely be argued that the Bills should have been looking at drafting another QB in 2015 since EJ wasnt developing as hoped and they already knew 2013 was a weak year for QBs.

This FO needs to make it's pick AND be ready to make its next pick until they find a QB.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

You have a few poster's on here that continuously parrot Mahommes being the next great QB.....I mean....be a fan of the kid if you want but he has shown NOTHING up to this point to make you believe he is the next great thing.....

Right now?   that draft trade down is looking pretty good.....REGARDLESS of what happens in the draft at the QB position.

(I am not saying I dont want to draft a QB high....only that the bills have already won the KC trade)

You're completely on point.  I don't get all of the Mahomes hype either.  it's worse than when the Bills paid Rob Johnson based on one game where he played well.  22 for 35 with 0 TD's and 1 INT doesn't impress me.  What has he done is the question of the day and the answer is zero, nada, zilch.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, K-9 said:

True, he’s been known to shill from time to time. Was it Gabbert he shared the same agent with? 

He also did a solid for BB with Mallet during a TC. A few other things stand out as well.

I enjoy listening to Mayock and he has an eye for the game but far from perfect. I guess that is part of the job for guys like him though.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agree on all this.

Good post hap!

Every single QB is technically a system QB.

Some guys can play in multiple systems for sure, but for example, the Mannings and Brady would be trash in a read option rollout system.

Some QBs just can't play in a system that the NFL would require, these are guys who excel in college, then flounder in the NFL.

Sometimes, the case is that they just didn't get the right OC.

Look at Kurt Warner.

Awesome with the Rams, trash with NYG, great again with Az.

In regards to your last line, I love watching old elway clips.

Sometimes he would dodge a blindside incoming sack without ever seeing the guy it seemed.

I loved watching that.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Luxy312 said:

You're completely on point.  I don't get all of the Mahomes hype either.  it's worse than when the Bills paid Rob Johnson based on one game where he played well.  22 for 35 with 0 TD's and 1 INT doesn't impress me.  What has he done is the question of the day and the answer is zero, nada, zilch.

I’m kind of on this boat too. I like Mahomes as a player and would be surprised if he isn’t good. With that being said it’s WAY too early to call passing on him a mistake. Maybe it will be but we just don’t know yet. We haven’t seen him produce.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That shouldnt be the question, considering this FO wasnt in place. McD was here, but that is it. He would have been crazy to rely on Whaley's team's QB scouting reports to pin his HC career on so early in. Completely different scouting and personnel department between 2017 draft and 2018 draft.

To that point though, I'd hope this staff doesnt make the same mistake as the last one, and not move forward quick enough with another QB pick. It could definitely be argued that the Bills should have been looking at drafting another QB in 2015 since EJ wasnt developing as hoped and they already knew 2013 was a weak year for QBs.

This FO needs to make it's pick AND be ready to make its next pick until they find a QB.

That's a tough sell for OBD. We missed out on the future because...well we weren't ready yet!

They needed a QB if McD wasn't given the trust to make the decision and Whaley and his scouts weren't to be trusted then the house cleaning should have happened when Rex was fired. I get it but it's still another mistake from OBD if Watson/Mahomes turn into stars. 

"We kinda did a half assed overhaul and didn't have anyone in the draft room that could evaluate a quaterback so we are going to let this opportunity pass us by" EHHHH

Edited by Commonsense

There are many Quarterbacks in the NFL that were not Top Draft picks.  The top guys are generally either from top conferences (Luck, Newton, Winston, etc.) or the occasional  phenom from a lower conference, who scouts look to as a diamond in the rough (Wentz, Allen).  Then there are the Heisman hybrid guys (Manziel, etc.) whose game may not really translate to the NFL. And finally there are the many guys who come from top conference schools who may not be blue-chip 'top guys' (Dalton, Watson, Wilson, etc.) but who have a very good resume entering the Draft.  It seems like this year Rudolph fits into this last group.  He put up big numbers in a big conference against top level competition but isn't a Heisman winner, or a so-called 'top-guy'.  That however is no reason for the Bills not to draft him.

What we've seen from so, so many threads is that there are no sure things.  Many of these guys bust.  And busts come in all shapes and conferences....just like NFL stars do!

2 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

That's a tough sell for OBD. We missed out on the future because...well we weren't ready yet!

They needed a QB if McD wasn't given the trust to make the decision and Whaley and his scouts weren't to be trusted then the house cleaning should have happened when Rex was fired. I get it but it's still another mistake from OBD if Watson/Mahomes turn into stars. 

"We kinda did a half asses overhaul and didn't have anyone in the draft room that could evaluate a quaterback so we are going to let this opportunity pass us by" EHHHH

2 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

"We kinda did a half assed overhaul and didn't have anyone in the draft room that could evaluate a quaterback so we are going to let this opportunity pass us by" EHHHH

Blame the Pegulas all you want for not handling the 2017 offseason properly. And keep in mind, I was/am a big fan of Whaley, but I'm not going to blame McD and certainly not going to blame Beane (who wasnt even here yet).

The whole FO rebuild was done back-asswards. Thanks to the Pegulas.

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

There are many Quarterbacks in the NFL that were not Top Draft picks.  The top guys are generally either from top conferences (Luck, Newton, Winston, etc.) or the occasional  phenom from a lower conference, who scouts look to as a diamond in the rough (Wentz, Allen).  Then there are the Heisman hybrid guys (Manziel, etc.) whose game may not really translate to the NFL. And finally there are the many guys who come from top conference schools who may not be blue-chip 'top guys' (Dalton, Watson, Wilson, etc.) but who have a very good resume entering the Draft.  It seems like this year Rudolph fits into this last group.  He put up big numbers in a big conference against top level competition but isn't a Heisman winner, or a so-called 'top-guy'.  That however is no reason for the Bills not to draft him.

What we've seen from so, so many threads is that there are no sure things.  Many of these guys bust.  And busts come in all shapes and conferences....just like NFL stars do!

My big thing on trading up for a QB

I know we have these 2 first round picks....but I am mentally preparing myself for it to cost us both of those AND the following years 1st round pick to trade up that high.

- We have other needs and lots of great talent is gonna fall

- There WILL be QBs at those twenty something picks that will at least have the "potential" to be better then what we have

McD is a defensive guy......what if he wants a DT and a QB in that first round?   Who can really fault him for that?

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Blame the Pegulas all you want for not handling the 2017 offseason properly. And keep in mind, I was/am a big fan of Whaley, but I'm not going to blame McD and certainly not going to blame Beane (who wasnt even here yet).

The whole FO rebuild was done back-asswards. Thanks to the Pegulas.

That's what I was pointing towards. I disliked Whaley but if the Pegulas felt it right to keep him around then he needed to make the call unless they were allowing McD to make it. You can't go into a draft needing a QB and not have anyone in the room you trust to make the descion when you are in position to actually get one.

Thats 100 percent on the Pegulas, I love Tre White and was begging for him before draft day but if either of those QBs become franchise guys then OBD failed us again.

3 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

My big thing on trading up for a QB

I know we have these 2 first round picks....but I am mentally preparing myself for it to cost us both of those AND the following years 1st round pick to trade up that high.

- We have other needs and lots of great talent is gonna fall

- There WILL be QBs at those twenty something picks that will at least have the "potential" to be better then what we have

McD is a defensive guy......what if he wants a DT and a QB in that first round?   Who can really fault him for that?

I agree John.  If you swing and miss after giving up all of those picks, the impact will last for years.  Just waiting a couple of years and all of the 20/20 hindsight folks will be posting "see, we could have waited and had ________ without giving up a thing".

Just now, Commonsense said:

That's what I was pointing towards. I disliked Whaley but if the Pegulas felt it right to keep him around then he needed to make the call unless they were allowing McD to make it. You can't go into a draft needing a QB and not have anyone in the room you trust to make the descion when you are in position to actually get one.

Thats 100 percent on the Pegulas, I love Tre White and was begging for him before draft day but if either of those QBs become franchise guys then OBD failed us again.

Isn't it all kind of moot? If they stayed at 10 they were taking Lattimore. Whether they replaced the scouts in February or May I don't really see that changing.

1 minute ago, Commonsense said:

I mean, how do you keep a GM around through 2 coaching hires but not trust him enough to let him make that hire on his own?

And then 4 months after the 2nd HC hire, fire the GM and let your new HC hire his own GM?? :doh::huh:

The whole "process" was ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Isn't it all kind of moot? If they stayed at 10 they were taking Lattimore. Whether they replaced the scouts in February or May I don't really see that changing.

In what world does that logic lend any credibilty towards OBD? If they missed an opportunity on a franshise guy then they screwed up. You can't look back and say well they were going to screw it up anyways and it's all ok!!