Johnny Manziel reveals bipolar diagnosis; hopes to play again

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Honestly, good for him if he’s serious about getting his head right. 

I suspect the comeback fails and hope he takes his mental health seriously even if he hits a point where he doesn’t think he has a shot at the Nfl 

If the comeback fails I think he would a good fit to work for the TAMU program in some capacity (even one of those jobs where you golf with the boosters) and maybe tour college campuses to tell his story and maybe use it to help others.

8 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Tough diagnosis, often doesn’t manifest until early 20’s. Very scary condition.

Having watched someone self-destruct who I suspect has it, yes, it's very scary and self-medicating with alcohol and street drugs is very common. I hope the dude gets back on track.

My hope is people like Manziel speaking out will end the stigma behind talking about mental health and spur people to get help.

• Like (+1) 3

I know it’s not a popular opinion and I know it sounds completely off at this point in time, but I really believe this kid can play. If it’s ever just about football with him and not all the other garbage, I really think he can be a good player. Maybe he can do a Flutie route back to the NFL and take advantage of his second chance. If the plan is for him to actually play in Canada and nothing derails that before it starts..he will light those guys up. When he does, some NFL team will give him another shot.

• Like (+1) 3

37 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I know it’s not a popular opinion and I know it sounds completely off at this point in time, but I really believe this kid can play. If it’s ever just about football with him and not all the other garbage, I really think he can be a good player. Maybe he can do a Flutie route back to the NFL and take advantage of his second chance. If the plan is for him to actually play in Canada and nothing derails that before it starts..he will light those guys up. When he does, some NFL team will give him another shot.

I wish Manziel well, but don't wish him on any football team.....yes, he could get another NFL shot if he did well in Canada over a few years....but, the Canadian game suits him better......like Flutie actually.  I saw him throw his first TD pass in the NFL against the Bills......he didn't look out of place that day anyhow. (he came on in relief)

• Like (+1) 1

I would just tell him to embrace the CFL as a second chance and probably your last chance at football as a job. You won't be able to just leap past your time in the CFL with words and promises alone.

You are gonna have to take the CFL more serious then you did the NFL. You didn't prove yourself in the NFL so now you have to prove yourself in the CFL. You need to work harder in the CFL than you did in school to prove yourself ready for the NFL.

You EARNED the reputation you didn't want the NFL when it wanted you! You can take all those excuses and promises and wipe your bum with them, because they are worth nothing until you can prove you can sustain a level headed mentality and drive that deserves a second look. 

Do your time and be the Tom Brady of the CFL and maybe you will have a snowballs chance to step back into the big show. Now wipe that smile off your face Jimmy and get out of my office. 

Edited by Lfod
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

I wish Manziel well, but don't wish him on any football team.....yes, he could get another NFL shot if he did well in Canada over a few years....but, the Canadian game suits him better......like Flutie actually.  I saw him throw his first TD pass in the NFL against the Bills......he didn't look out of place that day anyhow. (he came on in relief)

Sorry to nitpick but I remember a td run not a pass.

He really needs to get in touch with Brandon Marshall. Marshall went through a very similar situation and played in the league for a few years before things came to a head while in Miami and he finally was diagnosed and has continued on his career. He would be a great mentor. Johnny was an incredible college player and if he could ever translate that into the NFL after getting his head right he could be one of the greatest comeback stories of all time.