Is there a chance that Beane obliterates the roster this offseason to add cap space?

10 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

If they don't win next season be prepared for people to talk about 2017 being a fluke, especially the way they got it.  If they won less than 9 games next season and miss the playoffs, I doubt many people will care about McBeane's job status.

These two know the bar has been set and this off-season needs to be a home run to build on 2017. Plenty of teams can backdoor their way into the playoffs. Real teams improve year over year. McBeane don't want to be the former.

For a second I thought the fans were smart enough to realize that just because they won 9 games doesn't mean they weren't a 4-5 win roster but then I realized oh yeah they aren't.

They could be a much-improved team in 2018 and still win less games. That's the way it goes.

• Like (+1) 3

51 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

The Buffalo Bills currently have $31,336,937 million in 2018 cap space. Good for 16th in the NFL. Not terrible, but not great.

Which of these moves could you see Beane end up doing? What are the chances that he does them all?

1. Releasing QB Tyrod Taylor prior to the March signing bonus deadline would add $15.44 million to the 2018 cap (no-brainer)
  2. Releasing OG Richie Incognito would add $6.425 million to the 2018 cap.
  3. Releasing DE Jerry Hughes would add $4.6 million to the 2018 cap.
  4. Releasing RB Lesean McCoy would add $3.7 million to the 2018 cap.
  5. Releasing LB Lorenzo Alexander would add $2.85 million to the 2018 cap.
  6. Releasing OT Jordan Mills would add $1.95 million to the 2018 cap.
  7. Releasing DE Ryan Davis would add $1.225 million to the 2018 cap.
  8. Releasing OG Vlad Ducasse would add $1.02 million to the 2018 cap.

Obviously Wood is a complicated situation, but I can't help but think there's a way to eliminate his contract from the cap. If the Bills were somehow able to pull that off, that would add an additional $8.625 million to the 2018 salary cap.

If Beane somehow dumped all of these players (including managing to remove Wood's salary from the cap), that would add $45.835 million to the salary cap, more than doubling it for a grand total of $77.17 million - which would be 5th in the NFL (behind only 49ers, Browns, Colts and barely the Jets).

In addition, they could also make the following moves after June 1st:

1. Trading OT Cordy Glenn after June 1st would add $11.25 million to the 2018 cap
  2. Releasing TE Charles Clay would add $4.5 million to the 2018 cap
  3. Releasing FB Patrick Dimarco would add $1.55 million to the 2018 cap
  4. Releasing WR Andre Holmes would add $1.2 million to the 2018 cap

That would add another $18.5 million to fill roster holes.

The questions you have to ask are:

• Is Tyrod Taylor worth $15.44 million? I say no.
  • Is Richie Incognito worth $6.425 million? That's a tougher one - I would say no because I think they can get better value than that at the guard position, but I could go either way.
  • Is Jerry Hughes worth $4.6 million? I say yes.
  • Is Shady worth $3.7 million? I say yes, but I don't feel too strongly about it. IMO we just saw Shady's last fully healthy season.
  • Is Lorax worth $2.85 million? I'm on the fence with this one as I think his presence at defensive end could replace Shaq Lawson, in which case we could get a mid-round pick for Shaq.
  • Is Jordan Mills worth $1.95 million? I might be in the minority on this one but I say yes. He exceeded expectations in 2018.
  • Is Ryan Davis worth $1.225 million? I say definitely yes - adds very good DLine depth for relatively cheap.
  • Is Vlad Ducasse worth $1.02 million? Probably depends on the new run scheme.

Thoughts?

I would say that if anything close to that were done then we are not moving up in the draft which will make quite a few here mad.  We would need all those picks plus trade down to gain picks.  If it is truly about the process and finding guys who will buy in/fit in through FA will be difficult.  If it looks and smells like a full rebuild then it probably makes it less likely that Cousins will want to come here unless he is truly a fan of the process and clean living.

12 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

I still don't believe Beane/McD thought they were a playoff team last year, but because they did sneak in it obviously changes things so if they end up truly being terrible in 2018 because of having a young roster it won't look as bad because of last season when everybody also thought they were a 3 or 4 win type of team.

So this would be the main reason for them to truly burn it down in 2018 (and yes go with NP as the starter) if they don't care where they finish and then expect a major step forward in 2019 with a bunch of 2nd year players and possibly a top 5 draft pick to land a QB.

We'll see what happens but all fans should temper their expectations that this team is primed to make a big slash in the offseason and be a SB contender this season.

Especially since they probably thought the Dolphins were a lock to get in the playoffs right?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Of these moves I see the following

1. Releasing QB Tyrod Taylor prior to the March signing bonus deadline would add $15.44 million to the 2018 cap (no-brainer)
  2. Releasing OT Jordan Mills would add $1.95 million to the 2018 cap.
  3. Releasing OG Vlad Ducasse would add $1.02 million to the 2018 cap.

So they can add about 18 mil back to the cap. Additionally I also would release these two:

-Releasing TE Charles Clay would add $4.5 million to the 2018 cap

-Releasing FB Patrick Dimarco would add $1.55 million to the 2018 cap

I am not cutting LoRax, Hughes, Incognito, or Shady. You still need solid players plus a superstar like McCoy and we have enough holes to fill as is without worrying new ones being created.

15 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

I still don't believe Beane/McD thought they were a playoff team last year, but because they did sneak in it obviously changes things so if they end up truly being terrible in 2018 because of having a young roster it won't look as bad because of last season when everybody also thought they were a 3 or 4 win type of team.

So this would be the main reason for them to truly burn it down in 2018 (and yes go with NP as the starter) if they don't care where they finish and then expect a major step forward in 2019 with a bunch of 2nd year players and possibly a top 5 draft pick to land a QB.

We'll see what happens but all fans should temper their expectations that this team is primed to make a big slash in the offseason and be a SB contender this season.

I think you hit the nail on the head in regards to last season and making the playoffs removes soo much pressure on McBeane so a bad season or two could be had.

That said nothing they have said or done strikes me that they would slash the roster especially of guys like Shady, Incognito, or LoRax who are some of the leaders on the team. They are culture 1000% and I believe decisions are made very much with this in mind. If you slash a roster the way some have proposed it cripples everything last season built.

I don't think many fans think this team is much more then a playoff contender at best and if they have a rookie QB I think many would expect a season like 2013 with some good and bad while the team still competes but isn't there yet. Maybe I am wrong but even with a rookie QB and say Bradford driving this train I don't see much more then 9-10 wins best and more likely 6-8. I really will be more concerned with the draft and hopefully whatever QB they view as the future and how that develops.

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

For a second I thought the fans were smart enough to realize that just because they won 9 games doesn't mean they weren't a 4-5 win roster but then I realized oh yeah they aren't.

They could be a much-improved team in 2018 and still win less games. That's the way it goes.

I think they were more of a 5-7 win team and they got extremely lucky in ATL/DEN/KC to get some turnovers that won them the game. Add in that IND easily could've been a lost had Vinaterri hit the FG and yea the season looks different. BUT they did go 9-7 so credit goes I guess where credits due.

Edited by corta765

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

If you listen to Beane,  he and McDermott plan for the Bills to be competitive in 2018.  

Yes, and I think that their hire of Butler was at least partially for his knowledge of that division which we are playing this year.

30 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Releasing Incognito is merely cutting off their nose to spite their face. There are others who can be released that would not hurt their 2018 season as much.

If they don't win next season be prepared for people to talk about 2017 being a fluke, especially the way they got it.  If they won less than 9 games next season and miss the playoffs, I doubt many people will care about McBeane's job status.

These two know the bar has been set and this off-season needs to be a home run to build on 2017. Plenty of teams can backdoor their way into the playoffs. Real teams improve year over year. McBeane don't want to be the former.

I think Beane is pretty smart and realizes this, so I'm not too worried. My gut sense is that he's pretty competent. 

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I would think that if they release all/most of these veterans that they would want to use all of their draft picks to fill those spots.

Which they could do if they were able to get Cousins. Then theyvarent forced to sell their shirts to move up and take the best guy they can move up for.

13 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

If you sell the barn, where are you going to keep the horse?  

The only players worth anything are Incognito and McCoy. A OG and a RB, positions easily found in the draft. Glenn is the only player I would consider keeping if healthy.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

1 hour ago, CuddyDark said:

He should. Keep Zo and Shady tho.

He also continues to say we want to get younger.

that could be code for keeping our draft picks?  I think TT and Glenn may be cut/moved, with replacements for Glenn and front 7 in FA/draft.  

41 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Which they could do if they were able to get Cousins. Then theyvarent forced to sell their shirts to move up and take the best guy they can move up for.

Even if they can't get Cousins they shouldn't move up unless the guy they love falls to 16 or so.

2 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

The Buffalo Bills currently have $31,336,937 million in 2018 cap space. Good for 16th in the NFL. Not terrible, but not great.

Which of these moves could you see Beane end up doing? What are the chances that he does them all?

2. Releasing OG Richie Incognito would add $6.425 million to the 2018 cap.
  3. Releasing DE Jerry Hughes would add $4.6 million to the 2018 cap.
  4. Releasing RB Lesean McCoy would add $3.7 million to the 2018 cap.
  5. Releasing LB Lorenzo Alexander would add $2.85 million to the 2018 cap.
  6. Releasing OT Jordan Mills would add $1.95 million to the 2018 cap.
  7. Releasing DE Ryan Davis would add $1.225 million to the 2018 cap.
  8. Releasing OG Vlad Ducasse would add $1.02 million to the 2018 cap.

..................Thoughts?

Great post. Beane is one bold ****. Would not put anything past him. He seems to get that you have to get that franchise QB. We have not had a GM before who seems to get that since Polian fell into Kelly.

question: does Taylor really add 15 million to the surplus? He is 18 mill cap hit if on team and about 8 mill if off. If they do the designated post June 1 cut and he plays for someone else for at least 1 mill a year in 2018 is that where you are getting 15 mill added to Bills cap surplus for 2018??? Which then puts a few million of his cap hit onto 2019?

Edited by cba fan

17 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Even if they can't get Cousins they shouldn't move up unless the guy they love falls to 16 or so.

This could very well happen especially once we know what we have with our comp picks.  Obviously we can't trade the comps but it would allow flexibility with our other picks.  Of course if we make a big signing such as Cousins then that skews what happens with the comps.

Unless I missed it, none of the cap space numbers supplied by the OP included all the millions in dead cap space that will be assessed with all these moves. So if so, in reality none of these numbers apply to what our actual cap situation would look like. I’m all for clearing out most of these names listed, I just don’t think it will supply us with nearly as much cap space as stated.