Is there a chance that Beane obliterates the roster this offseason to add cap space?

Just now, HOUSE said:

Sooner than you think, I bet Buffalo has MORE PICKS come draft day.......A LOT MORE

how? do they just give them away now?

we have about 1 trade-able asset, Cordy Glenn, which could probably snatch us a 3rd round pick...I personally would rather see Cordy starting at Tackle for us (if he is healthy enough to pass a physical to be traded then he should be healthy enough to get back into the game for us).

What else do we have worth trading that we want to trade? TT? Lol, no ones taking him and his 18 mill, get real. Jerry Hughes? Why would another team want to over pay for his 3 sacks? (I like Jerry and hope we keep him). Shaq Lawson? Eh, maybe...then you are just going to create more holes on the team. 

Unless we trade down on draft day I think we are looking at our draft picks come draft day

No their really is no chance of that.  Maybe two or three of those guys could not be on the roster.  The cap this year is OK and it gets great next year so the cap is not a huge deal.  I think it is more important to continue the culture of winning or "playoff caliber" or whatever you want to call it.

I could see them moving Glenn, extending Incognito, releasing Taylor and maybe one or two of the other guys.  Guys like Hughes and McCoy will stay on the roster.

Edited by mattynh

19 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

The Buffalo Bills currently have $31,336,937 million in 2018 cap space. Good for 16th in the NFL. Not terrible, but not great.

Which of these moves could you see Beane end up doing? What are the chances that he does them all?

1. Releasing QB Tyrod Taylor prior to the March signing bonus deadline would add $15.44 million to the 2018 cap (no-brainer)
  2. Releasing OG Richie Incognito would add $6.425 million to the 2018 cap.
  3. Releasing DE Jerry Hughes would add $4.6 million to the 2018 cap.
  4. Releasing RB Lesean McCoy would add $3.7 million to the 2018 cap.
  5. Releasing LB Lorenzo Alexander would add $2.85 million to the 2018 cap.
  6. Releasing OT Jordan Mills would add $1.95 million to the 2018 cap.
  7. Releasing DE Ryan Davis would add $1.225 million to the 2018 cap.
  8. Releasing OG Vlad Ducasse would add $1.02 million to the 2018 cap.

Obviously Wood is a complicated situation, but I can't help but think there's a way to eliminate his contract from the cap. If the Bills were somehow able to pull that off, that would add an additional $8.625 million to the 2018 salary cap.

If Beane somehow dumped all of these players (including managing to remove Wood's salary from the cap), that would add $45.835 million to the salary cap, more than doubling it for a grand total of $77.17 million - which would be 5th in the NFL (behind only 49ers, Browns, Colts and barely the Jets).

In addition, they could also make the following moves after June 1st:

1. Trading OT Cordy Glenn after June 1st would add $11.25 million to the 2018 cap
  2. Releasing TE Charles Clay would add $4.5 million to the 2018 cap
  3. Releasing FB Patrick Dimarco would add $1.55 million to the 2018 cap
  4. Releasing WR Andre Holmes would add $1.2 million to the 2018 cap

That would add another $18.5 million to fill roster holes.

The questions you have to ask are:

• Is Tyrod Taylor worth $15.44 million? I say no.
  • Is Richie Incognito worth $6.425 million? That's a tougher one - I would say no because I think they can get better value than that at the guard position, but I could go either way.
  • Is Jerry Hughes worth $4.6 million? I say yes.
  • Is Shady worth $3.7 million? I say yes, but I don't feel too strongly about it. IMO we just saw Shady's last fully healthy season.
  • Is Lorax worth $2.85 million? I'm on the fence with this one as I think his presence at defensive end could replace Shaq Lawson, in which case we could get a mid-round pick for Shaq.
  • Is Jordan Mills worth $1.95 million? I might be in the minority on this one but I say yes. He exceeded expectations in 2018.
  • Is Ryan Davis worth $1.225 million? I say definitely yes - adds very good DLine depth for relatively cheap.
  • Is Vlad Ducasse worth $1.02 million? Probably depends on the new run scheme.

Thoughts?

First thing: Releasing Tyrod incurs $8.6 million in dead cap. You get nowhere near the amount of cap space that you are suggest. That's a big reason why I think he will be back in some capacity.

I do think we keep Shady. I know RBs hit the wall fast, but we absolutely got our money's worth in 2017 and Barry Sanders (who he is most compared to) never slowed down either.

A lot of hard decisions will have to be made, and I expect a LOT of UDFAs and guys like Lorax (2016 version) in camp and on the roster. But blowing up the roster when we have so much dead cap already doesn't seem likely to me.

41 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Whys that? 

They arent getting Cousins. Find a way to trade up should be the priority.

Because there are so many holes on the roster they need every every promising young player they can get via the draft. Having eight picks in the first five rounds (four in the first two) is huge. To throw that away would be unfortunate.

19 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

First thing: Releasing Tyrod incurs $8.6 million in dead cap. You get nowhere near the amount of cap space that you are suggest. That's a big reason why I think he will be back in some capacity.

I do think we keep Shady. I know RBs hit the wall fast, but we absolutely got our money's worth in 2017 and Barry Sanders (who he is most compared to) never slowed down either.

A lot of hard decisions will have to be made, and I expect a LOT of UDFAs and guys like Lorax (2016 version) in camp and on the roster. But blowing up the roster when we have so much dead cap already doesn't seem likely to me.

I admit I'm a little confused about Taylor's financial situation because of the bonus that is due in March. I had assumed that if they traded/released him before that bonus that that money would be added to the cap.

tyrod_money.thumb.jpg.c862db80307e0876b718b8bc0801269a.jpg

I don't think Beane finds the dead cap all that relevant with regard to his personnel decisions. It's all about the value of the player and how much money would be added to the cap with his release and whether it's worth it or not. He's not going to stay up at night worrying about dead cap that Whaley caused by doling out dumb contracts.

To your overall question, I do in fact believe he dismantles the roster and moves as many pieces as he can, not just for Cap space but also for team identity. I think Beane and McD had an understanding of EXACTLY how they want this team built and it is not anywhere close to being where they want it and now this is his first chance to truly build an identity. 

For me, that only speaks even louder to the ability of McD and his staff - despite Dennison - and how they were able to break the curse. That's good coaching and yes, a little bit of luck. 

2 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

how? do they just give them away now?

we have about 1 trade-able asset, Cordy Glenn, which could probably snatch us a 3rd round pick...I personally would rather see Cordy starting at Tackle for us (if he is healthy enough to pass a physical to be traded then he should be healthy enough to get back into the game for us).

What else do we have worth trading that we want to trade? TT? Lol, no ones taking him and his 18 mill, get real. Jerry Hughes? Why would another team want to over pay for his 3 sacks? (I like Jerry and hope we keep him). Shaq Lawson? Eh, maybe...then you are just going to create more holes on the team. 

Unless we trade down on draft day I think we are looking at our draft picks come draft day

Not sure I would look at the obvious players that are rumored to be traded, that would be too easy ,lol

Its the players (and buffalo has a few) that don't quit fit the plans. Most our Doug Whaleys guys

They may decide to release guys that they don't feel add to the overall talent base, and that they think can be replaced with younger talent.  But they also have two other factors to consider:

1.  They have a playoff team.  Dismantling a playoff team doesn't make much sense.

2.  They still need guys in leadership roles, and if Kyle retires losing him and Wood would have big leadership effects.  So releasing all your vets wouldn't make much sense from a leadership perspective.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

They may decide to release guys that they don't feel add to the overall talent base, and that they think can be replaced with younger talent.  But they also have two other factors to consider:

1.  They have a playoff team.  Dismantling a playoff team doesn't make much sense.

2.  They still need guys in leadership roles, and if Kyle retires losing him and Wood would have big leadership effects.  So releasing all your vets wouldn't make much sense from a leadership perspective.

You have to remember that the Bills are not truly playoff caliber at this point. Made the playoffs using lesser talent players,many off waivers. McD did an excellent job but upgrades are necessary. I guess we are calling this the Process.

7 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Not sure I would look at the obvious players that are rumored to be traded, that would be too easy ,lol

Its the players (and buffalo has a few) that don't quit fit the plans. Most our Doug Whaleys guys

such asssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss........

22 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

The Buffalo Bills currently have $31,336,937 million in 2018 cap space. Good for 16th in the NFL. Not terrible, but not great.

Which of these moves could you see Beane end up doing? What are the chances that he does them all?

1. Releasing QB Tyrod Taylor prior to the March signing bonus deadline would add $15.44 million to the 2018 cap (no-brainer)

Obviously Wood is a complicated situation, but I can't help but think there's a way to eliminate his contract from the cap. If the Bills were somehow able to pull that off, that would add an additional $8.625 million to the 2018 salary cap.

If Beane somehow dumped all of these players (including managing to remove Wood's salary from the cap), that would add $45.835 million to the salary cap, more than doubling it for a grand total of $77.17 million - which would be 5th in the NFL (behind only 49ers, Browns, Colts and barely the Jets).

1. Trading OT Cordy Glenn after June 1st would add $11.25 million to the 2018 cap

• Is Richie Incognito worth $6.425 million? That's a tougher one - I would say no because I think they can get better value than that at the guard position, but I could go either way.
  • Is Shady worth $3.7 million? I say yes, but I don't feel too strongly about it. IMO we just saw Shady's last fully healthy season.
  • Is Lorax worth $2.85 million? I'm on the fence with this one as I think his presence at defensive end could replace Shaq Lawson, in which case we could get a mid-round pick for Shaq.
  • Is Jordan Mills worth $1.95 million? I might be in the minority on this one but I say yes. He exceeded expectations in 2018.
  • Is Ryan Davis worth $1.225 million? I say definitely yes - adds very good DLine depth for relatively cheap.

Thoughts?

A lot of these make sense. Keep Shady, Richie, Davis (super under-rated), Clay, Mills, Lorenzo.

I'm up in the air on Jerry Hughes.

All the others.. Ducasse, DiMarco, Holmes, Glenn.... see ya later.

5 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

To your overall question, I do in fact believe he dismantles the roster and moves as many pieces as he can, not just for Cap space but also for team identity. I think Beane and McD had an understanding of EXACTLY how they want this team built and it is not anywhere close to being where they want it and now this is his first chance to truly build an identity. 

Tough to do, now that playoff expectations have been raised.    The pressure from the 'pitchfork and torches' portion of the fan base will be a lot different this year.

With a more difficult schedule and so much uncertainty at QB and both O and D lines, rebuilding the roster pretty much insures "year one" of the next playoff drought, IMO...  

2 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

You have to remember that the Bills are not truly playoff caliber at this point. Made the playoffs using lesser talent players,many off waivers. McD did an excellent job but upgrades are necessary. I guess we are calling this the Process.

They are a playoff team because they made the playoffs.

5 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

ok

They certainly can use upgrades at spots.  So can any team in the league.  To say they're not really a playoff team when they were just in the playoffs denies reality.

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Throw it away? 

It will be well worth it to use those picks to trade up and get a top QB prospect. As has been discussed before, the Bills have actually drafted pretty well over the drought. Where has it got then? No where, because they don't take QBs. 

A QB is BY FAR the most valuable position. Even if they burned two 1sts and 2nd and another 1st next year to get one of the top 3 guys it would be well worth it. 

It would be worth it if the guy they get pans out.  We don't know that yet.

Unlike some here, if they give up these picks and the guy doesn't work out I will not retrospectively roast them for doing so.

22 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Thoughts?

Prior to Eric Wood’s retirement, I was sure Incognito was a goner.  He’s a solid/great player, but 6 million is a good chunk of change especially on a player towards the end of his career.  But, do we want to see Buffalo without Wood, Cog and maybe Glenn?

I say if we are getting a new QB, it would be unfair for him to come to Buffalo without its top 3 linemen protecting him, especially his blind side.  

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Throw it away? 

It will be well worth it to use those picks to trade up and get a top QB prospect. As has been discussed before, the Bills have actually drafted pretty well over the drought. Where has it got them? No where, because they don't have or take chances on QBs. 

A QB is BY FAR the most valuable position. Even if they burned two 1sts and 2nd and another 1st next year to get one of the top 3 guys it would be well worth it. 

I don't see the next Manning, Bledsoe, Elway, Kelly, etc. in this year's class which says put those guys down as NFL ready as of today.  They may pan out fine or they may bust.  I just don't see a guy there to throw a few number one picks at to move up.