Is there a chance that Beane obliterates the roster this offseason to add cap space?

Have to expect the Bills to draft 5-6 players who will contribute a lot as rookies and build the backbone of the Bills franchise going forward.  Particularly a new MLB that fits and will be the leader of defense, a power RB, interior defensive and offensive linemen and potentially a pass rushing DE.  If they get what they want in the draft then guys like Cordy Glenn or Jerry Hughes could be traded or let go because they haven't produced up to their cap hit probably and aren't getting any younger.  Don't know if they need to cut Incognito because he will be in a contract year, made the pro bowl and has no obvious replacement now.

It would be shocking if the Bills were just blown up.

7 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

CornerBlitz said that Clay's release would provide "zero dollars of cap relief," which is false and I simply pointed that out. I don't want to release Clay.

Understood and you’re right. But the reason i was saying is it doesn’t work is that the money isn’t available until after June 1st IIRC and you can only do it twice. So to post the savings for the players in the OP all with a post June 1st designation ended up being a bit misleading

• Like (+1) 1

The guys that started with Rex like for example Taylor, Incognito, McCoy, and Clay I could see possibly being waived.  Just because well "the process" wasn't ingrained in them to start with.

Taylor is obvious.  Incognito and McCoy I still think have value for now.  Could go either way on Clay

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

By "obliterate" do you mean Beane will cut loose player's he doesn't see as a fit for us then yes, as he should, we can add talent just about everywhere. This roster just shows how bad Whaley really was.

Whaley didn't gut the roster.. really don't understand why we blame a GM who's predecessor traded away every former top draft picks for pretty much nothing.

16 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I think the dead cap is stuck from the renegotiations from when Tyrod took less money in 2017 and fewer years to stay on. That signing bonus stays annualized IIRC and advances to dead cap if cut.

Yep. It is $8.6m dead cap if they cut him prior to the 3rd day of the new league year that is definite. The dead money is made up of:

$2m guaranteed signing bonus for 2018;

$1m of the $6m roster bonus for 2018 which was guaranteed and in fact paid in 2017 (accounted for in 2018 for cap reasons);

$5.5m in guaranteed signing bonus for 2019, 2020 and 2021 from the original 2016 extension.

While the 2019-2021 salary from that original contract has already voided the signing bonus ONLY voids if he is on the roster on the final day of the 2018 league year. If he is cut before then the Bills are on the hook for that money. 

Now I do not have sufficient knowledge of the exact terms of the contract to know for definite what happens if Tyrod is traded. Because this was a very complicated and pretty bespoke situation where the Bills essentially re-assigned money already paid in the 2016 re-signing it is possible that the future years guaranteed money now belongs to the contract and its term is really "if this contract is on a roster at the end of 2018". In which case if Tyrod were to be traded that money goes with him. In theory that is possible. But it is highly unlikely. The smart money is on the Bills being on the hook for that money if Tyrod isn't a Bill in 2018 whether he is cut or traded before or after Jun 1st. 

The only difference with a post June 1st designation would be the Bills spread the dead money over 2 years. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

The OP analysis on TT is flawed.  You have to take his cap hit if released and the amount it would take to replace him. Sign Cousins and release TT and there would be little cap room left

not entirely true.  please look at the 2018 Bills Cap thread.   Cut TT and restructure 3 guys and there is ~$50 mil in cap space.  

On 2/2/2018 at 1:07 AM, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

With or without those players traded, Whaley was a terrible GM and to say Beane got nothing for the players is laughable. 

don't get me wrong. Love Gaines, could care less about the rest. I'm thinking more about the Dareus deal, Ragland deal,getting Jordan Matthews (yuck). Give me a better reason Whaley sucks other than we don't have any of his players (most of which are showing talent elsewhere)

1 hour ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

don't get me wrong. Love Gaines, could care less about the rest. I'm thinking more about the Dareus deal, Ragland deal,getting Jordan Matthews (yuck). Give me a better reason Whaley sucks other than we don't have any of his players (most of which are showing talent elsewhere)

No one hits 100% in the draft.  

There have been good aqusitions with DW.  

and some of the departures have had success. 

Lets just see what happens in the draft.  

So yeah what you said. 

1 hour ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

You mean other than horrible drafts, gross cap mismanagement and causing marrone to leave?

Incognito and Shady need to stay IMO. Great LG and RB don't just fall out of trees. I agree don't blow up the roster but we do need more cap space to make a great free agent play. We also have the draft capital to make some moves. I don't see Tyrod sticking around even though the Daboll hire made me second guess that. The truth is we don't have a clue what the Bills Brass are thinking and what their game plan is so far I have questioned some of their moves only to see a more chemistry ladened team perform better than expectations on the field. We have a huge opportunity this offseason to set the tone for the future in Buffalo I'm just glad that I'm not having to pull the strings.

On 2/3/2018 at 7:19 AM, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

He got what the market was offering, I don't think they just blindly traded any player without asking every GM in the league so they could get the best compensation for them. I mean realistically we all wanted at least a 1st round pick for Dareus, he went for a 5th because he had a monster contract and only had I think a handful of tackles along with 2 sacks at the time, who is giving a 1st round pick for that? You say "yuck" to Jordan Matthews but he compares very closely to the guy many fans on here still talk about (Sammy Watkins), the stats are very close, he's a good player but he unfortunately got injured and never got to showcase that here. Ragland is strictly a 3-4 ILB so he did us absolutely no good here, I actually kind of thought we got the better of that deal considering that there are only a number of 3-4 teams out there that strictly play that scheme, so I was quite happy with that. I can give you so many reasons why Whaley was terrible but you will just discard all of my opinions so is it really worth the effort? If you can't see that Whaley was a bad GM then there is no convincing you, your mind is already made up and that's fine, we all have different opinions and mine is different from yours.

I think Taylor and Cordy are the two that will be gone. Just my 2 cents based on how the season went. Glenn’s situation is similar to sammy’s In my opinion, with the talent, but can he stay healthy, and if there’s a team that will take him, take the hit this year and open that money up for 2019.

On 2/1/2018 at 11:22 PM, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Whaley didn't gut the roster.. really don't understand why we blame a GM who's predecessor traded away every former top draft picks for pretty much nothing.

Whaley left a mess of a cap situation on McBeane's hands. You act like he traded away players for ***** and giggles.

On 1/31/2018 at 10:39 AM, Wayne Arnold said:

The Buffalo Bills currently have $31,336,937 million in 2018 cap space. Good for 16th in the NFL. Not terrible, but not great.

Which of these moves could you see Beane end up doing? What are the chances that he does them all?

1. Releasing QB Tyrod Taylor prior to the March signing bonus deadline would add $15.44 million to the 2018 cap (no-brainer)
  2. Releasing OG Richie Incognito would add $6.425 million to the 2018 cap.
  3. Releasing DE Jerry Hughes would add $4.6 million to the 2018 cap.
  4. Releasing RB Lesean McCoy would add $3.7 million to the 2018 cap.
  5. Releasing LB Lorenzo Alexander would add $2.85 million to the 2018 cap.
  6. Releasing OT Jordan Mills would add $1.95 million to the 2018 cap.
  7. Releasing DE Ryan Davis would add $1.225 million to the 2018 cap.
  8. Releasing OG Vlad Ducasse would add $1.02 million to the 2018 ca
  9. Releasing FB Patrick Dimarco would add $1.55 million to the 2018 cap
  10. Releasing WR Andre Holmes would add $1.2 million to the 2018 cap

Thoughts?

A bunch of your figures are off.  You need to account for accelerating the prorated bonus into next season.  E.g. Taylor doesn't add $15.44, he adds $9.44 (if cut and not signed elsewhere) or $10.44 (if traded or cut and signed)

and so forth

On 2/2/2018 at 12:09 AM, Dadonkadonk said:

The OP analysis on TT is flawed.  You have to take his cap hit if released and the amount it would take to replace him. Sign Cousins and release TT and there would be little cap room left

That depends upon how Cousins contract is structured.  It's not uncommon to structure a guy's contract with a huge 1st year bonus amortized over 3-5 years and minimal 1st year salary.