Chiefs trade Alex Smith to washington

Castellar

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

No one will have ever paid that price. I think Cousins is a top 12-15 QB. That’s not a guy that I want to be the highest paid player ever. I’d rather trade up for Rosen, Mayfield or Darnold.

Trading up is a much worse price than money. We have 90 million in cap space in 2019, give half of that to Cousins and the deal is manageable. Plus all three of those QBs have huge question marks.

Would you rather have Rosen and no first next year or Cousins, Joshua Jackson, Harrison Phillips, Kallen Ballage, Leighton Vander Esch, and our first round pick next year? 

18 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m going the draft route. Part of it is that Cousins isn’t elite. He’s a good QB. I wouldn’t pay that price for a guy for a guy that’s good. The Redskins just did that with Smith. The Raiders did it with Carr, Dolphins with Tannehill, the Ravens with Flacco, etc... I don’t think that’s a winning strategy. Give me Rosen, Baker or Darnold

We would be lucky if our first round QB turned out as good as Cousins. The bust rate on first round QBs is probably over 60%.

24 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m going the draft route. Part of it is that Cousins isn’t elite. He’s a good QB. I wouldn’t pay that price for a guy for a guy that’s good. The Redskins just did that with Smith. The Raiders did it with Carr, Dolphins with Tannehill, the Ravens with Flacco, etc... I don’t think that’s a winning strategy. Give me Rosen, Baker or Darnold

These expensive QBs don't win Super Bowls. Rodgers, Brees, Wilson all won before signing their lucrative contracts. Brady is always restructuring for his team and he is the exception. You can count Peyton if you want, but I think it's undeniable that the better bet is drafting your guy and getting him cheap for 5 years and pay for the surrounding cast. The high priced QB signings cripple the team and put a lot of the burden on the QB. Even the best can't do it on their own. Cousins is not Rodgers. I wouldn't pay $30 mil for him.

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

So you don’t want Cousins at all and you DO want to keep Taylor and his $18M cap hit? Ok then.

Cousins will cost twice as much as Tyrod. I want a feasible way to move up, get the QB we want, and not give up three firsts to do it. 

1 hour ago, dezertbill said:

This shocked me as well.  I think Fuller is more value than the 3rd.

KC robbed Washington.  

Today is a great day...and I want to thank the Bills organization and by extension the fans for helping to bring it all about with that trade last season.  

From a KC perspective....We have a very ready Mahomes, and we get out from under Smith, get cap space, a thrid round pick AND...this is the important part....Fuller, a corner who would absolutely go in the first round of this years draft, under his PALTRY rookie contract for two more years.  That is BETTER than actually getting a first round pick....you know he isn't a bust already and he's pennies on the dollar cheap for a high end corner that would cost MILLIONS on the open market.  ....I am going to use a very tasteless term to describe what happend today....but KC plunger raped the Redskins.

It would seem at least the Redskins have looked at this QB class and said "no thanks"   The Browns made the phone call to KC...that doesn't mean they weren't going to draft a guy, but it tells you that whoever they are going to take, they don't think will start day 1.  That isn't usually the case when you invest the 1/1 in a QB.  

The Bills are going to go through the Kirk Cousins bidding war, and trying to convert the 21st and 22nd overall pics, OR going with Tyrod and Peterman, OR signing someone like Bradford when all you had to do was use the 10th overall pick you had last year and avoid all this uncertainty.  You had Mahomes and Watson right there, under the tree with shiny wrapping paper and nice big bow...and you punted.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Cousins is ours. Back up the truck

Bills have a lot of dead cap, releasing Taylor will add some cap space and also add more to the dead cap. Do they have enough space to pay Cousins the huge salary he will require? I don't think so and don't think he is worth it either. Hoping the Bills drop Taylor, draft a qb and bring in a lesser priced veteran to mentor and fill the gap. Keep plugging holes and building the team for the present and future. This team is more than just one piece away imo. 

7 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

Today is a great day...and I want to thank the Bills organization and by extension the fans for helping to bring it all about with that trade last season.  

From a KC perspective....We have a very ready Mahomes, and we get out from under Smith, get cap space, a thrid round pick AND...this is the important part....Fuller, a corner who would absolutely go in the first round of this years draft, under his PALTRY rookie contract for two more years.  That is BETTER than actually getting a first round pick....you know he isn't a bust already and he's pennies on the dollar cheap for a high end corner that would cost MILLIONS on the open market.  ....I am going to use a very tasteless term to describe what happend today....but KC plunger raped the Redskins.

It would seem at least the Redskins have looked at this QB class and said "no thanks"   The Browns made the phone call to KC...that doesn't mean they weren't going to draft a guy, but it tells you that whoever they are going to take, they don't think will start day 1.  That isn't usually the case when you invest the 1/1 in a QB.  

The Bills are going to go through the Kirk Cousins bidding war, and trying to convert the 21st and 22nd overall pics, OR going with Tyrod and Peterman, OR signing someone like Bradford when all you had to do was use the 10th overall pick you had last year and avoid all this uncertainty.  You had Mahomes and Watson right there, under the tree with shiny wrapping paper and nice big bow...and you punted.

We are counting our chickens before they have hatched in Kansas city land lol

When teams prepare against Mahomes you will see what you got. Alex Smith was one of the most winningest QBs in the game. Let's see how your young guy does this season.

Edited by BillsFan692
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

Maybe a little over confident after one NFL start? Saying that I wanted the Bills to draft Watson and I wish we did.

I would inquire with the Giants regarding the availability of Davis-Webb. New regimes tend to like to pick their own guy. In the event Giants draft a QB like many assume they will. Possibility exists Giants may be willing to deal.

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-giants/Bolt/Davis-Webb-New-York-Giants-quarterback-is-an-afterthought-for-new-regime-114366321

9 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

I was dying at the plunger rape part.

And Mahomes will be a good QB, he is the opposite of Smith, he is a gunslinger with a Remington for an arm.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFan692 said:

Looks like a young kid to me with a lot to learn we will see

Reid knows QBs. Only reason Mahomes isn't in a Bills uni is because Whaley was a lame duck GM. Taking a QB when your current GM is a week removed from cleaning out his office would make no sense. I watched Mahomes extensively, I think he has everything it takes to be a good QB. Once again, Andy Reid knows QBs, I'd never bet against him in that regard, that's his area of expertise.

• Like (+1) 1