Bills fire Gill Byrd

1 minute ago, BrooklynBills said:

Huge hire IMO. I think he was unfairly fired this past year after the Texans D tanked. He is responsible for the development of AJ Bouye into the player he is now.

Was rumored for our DC job before it went to Frazier. There is definitely a McD connection here though I can't remember what their link is. Pretty sure we tried to get him here last year and Texans blocked it.

If the D doesn't improve Butler will be DC. Frazier on hot seat.

16 minutes ago, BrooklynBills said:

Huge hire IMO. I think he was unfairly fired this past year after the Texans D tanked. He is responsible for the development of AJ Bouye into the player he is now.

Was rumored for our DC job before it went to Frazier. There is definitely a McD connection here though I can't remember what their link is. Pretty sure we tried to get him here last year and Texans blocked it.

They played high school football together, Butler graduated in 91 and McD in 93

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:
3 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

- Results don’t entirely correlate to coaching. It’s possible DBs aren’t close to potential.

- DBs may not like the coach

- Coach not on same page as rest of the staff

- He’s just a jerk

in other words, we have no idea and while fun to speculate, you won’t know until something leaks (and even then . . .)

While we will never know the whole story it’s is tough to argue with the results. Hyde, Poyer and Gaines had the best years of their careers. They all got better under Byrd. Tre White is going to finish 2nd in DROY voting. It’s a tough argument to say that they aren’t close to their potential. 

Ok, but there are host of reasons, including whether the DBs has success in McDermott's system despite Byrd's coaching.  

9 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Probowl Caliber play from the DBs. The position coach gets fired. 

Crap play from the OL and the Position Coach Teflon Juan still here. 

Take a deep breath, Bills Fans.  I don't think Daboll is done sorting his coaching team yet.

These guys got to prioritize.  Can't reschedule the Senior Bowl, got to get through a lot of film and background so they know who they want to look at, what to look for, and what to ask. Now there's 4 weeks to the Combine.  This is the week to do a deeper dive into the coaching assistants, look at who's still on the market, and talk to folks.  Expect some announcements on offense the week(s) after the Superbowl.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Ok, but there are host of reasons, including whether the DBs has success in McDermott's system despite Byrd's coaching.  

There certainly can be other reasons. The point that I am making is that 3 starters having the best years of their respective careers and a rookie finishing 2nd as DROY isn’t likely to be “despite the coach.” The likely scenario is that he was a big part of it. Ockham’s Razor 

p.s. Are those O.R. scrubs you’re wearing?

Edited by Kirby Jackson

5 hours ago, nucci said:

McDermott firing assistant coaches he chose after only 1 year....guess he didn't do a good job picking his staff

OMG <face palm>

4 hours ago, 8-8 Forever? said:

or the guy he really wanted is only now freeing up.. come on guys , think it all the way through

EXACTLY

I'm not sure a lot of people on this board are capable of thought, 8-8.

What is it with some Bills fans?  Snow getting them down?

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

There certainly can be other reasons. The point that I am making is that 3 starters having the best years of their respective careers and a rookie finishing 2nd as DROY isn’t likely to be “despite the coach.” The likely scenario is that he was a big part of it. Ockham’s Razor 

Ockham’s Razor depends on IN THE ABSENCE OF OTHER EVIDENCE.

We may not have it, but you don't think McDermott and Frazier know what happens in practice beyond the results on Sunday?

2 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

OMG <face palm>

EXACTLY

I'm not sure a lot of people on this board are capable of thought, 8-8.

What is it with some Bills fans?  Snow getting them down?

Ockham’s Razor depends on IN THE ABSENCE OF OTHER EVIDENCE.

We may not have it, but you don't think McDermott and Frazier know what happens in practice beyond the results on Sunday?

Obviously, they know the situation. That’s the exact point that I am making. I responded to a post where one of the suggestions was “maybe the DBs aren’t playing to their potential?” That seems far-fetched considering it was the best year than any of them have ever had. The likely reason is something other than the play of the DBs. 

Could he have been the one to leak the Wood news? 

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Obviously, they know the situation. That’s the exact point that I am making. I responded to a post where one of the suggestions was “maybe the DBs aren’t playing to their potential?” That seems far-fetched considering it was the best year than any of them have ever had. The likely reason is something other than the play of the DBs. 

Could he have been the one to leak the Wood news? 

It’s possible but it seems to me that it’s more of a situation where they believe a better coach is now available and they saw an opportunity to upgrade. They were interested in John Butler last year as a DC candidate and now they can get him as a secondary coach as he’s a FA. It looks like he was higher on their list than Byrd to begin with. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s possible but it seems to me that it’s more of a situation where they believe a better coach is now available and they saw an opportunity to upgrade. They were interested in John Butler last year as a DC candidate and now they can get him as a secondary coach as he’s a FA. It looks like he was higher on their list than Byrd to begin with. 

That seems like the logical answer. 

As far as who leaked the Eric Wood stuff, i have a feeling it was someone at U of L. He still works out there, and that account may have a source there because they referenced U of L along with the Bills when they put it out there. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3

I personally don't care. McDermott can do whatever he wants with his coaches. He knows his stuff and is the primary reason the secondary did well. If he saw something he didn't like, fine.