Potential replacements for Eric Wood

53 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

News came out less than an hour ago. Eric Wood is the gold standard as far as what a Buffalo Bill should be. I just think it comes off as callous and ungrateful to start lining up potential replacements. Now is the time for thoughts and prayers, just seems way too early for this. I don't care who replaces Wood, I just hope he recovers and lives a happy and healthy life.

Is it appropriate for McD, Beane, Daboll et al to be lining up potential replacement candidates at this moment?

3 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

This is a very real and natural place to go after hearing the news but one of the things that's really starting to turn me off about football. I don't blame you at all for starting the thread and it's a discussion to have but brutal to hear about a guy being forced into retirement and having this be one of the first items we are forced to turn to as a fanbase or organization.

In football terms, Next Man Up!

Thanks for the memories, Eric!

3 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Groy is the leader in the clubhouse, but with 3 holes on the OL now, those who wanted to draft an RB will likely be disappointed.  This could also impact Buffalo's ability to move up, unless there are good FA center options.  Replacing Wood is a serious monkey in the wrench for the Bills off-season.

Good point, with Eric out and Kyle possibly retiring, we seem to have too many holes to fill to give up any picks. 

40 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Would love it, but don't see him falling that far. Would most likely take #21 or #22. 

Really? I don’t think he was going to go so high. We have to figure something out. I don’t know if there is another college player at Center that can come

in and start right now. 

1 hour ago, FearLess Price said:

There gonna go with Groy and sign a back up quality center. He played well when Wood got hurt in 2016

That would only make this whole debacle look MORE racist than it already looks.  Why would you want MORE racism? NFL's best fans indeed.

1 hour ago, thurst44 said:

Not according to Sportrac. The first link is about how retirement affects the salary cap, which would make it essentially the same as a cut.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-features-news-blog-long-form/2016/3/5/11158958/nfl-101-how-cuts-retirements-and-trades-affect-the-salary-cap

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/eric-wood-5637/

Not sure where you guys are getting the $10m number (actually curious -- i'm no expert and recognize i could very well be wrong), but according to what I've read, it's 5.5m. It would have been an 8.5m hit if he were still playing. Wish it were an 8.5 mil hit and he were still able to play next year, but these appear to be the facts.

$4.8mil 2018 base salary = 100% guaranteed for injury  + $4,333,333 signing bonus + $1,258,334 restructure bonus = $10,391,668 dead money.

Sad day for Eric, sad day for the Bills fans, sad day for the team going forward now that they lost their starting center who will count $10.4mil against the cap anyway.  

1 minute ago, wppete said:

Really? I don’t think he was going to go so high. We have to figure something out. I don’t know if there is another college player at Center that can come

in and start right now. 

With Groy, I'm not sure we need one. I suggested Corbett from Nevada in the mid-rounds - he can and has played I think all OL positions and started 4 years. 

20 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

With Groy, I'm not sure we need one. I suggested Corbett from Nevada in the mid-rounds - he can and has played I think all OL positions and started 4 years. 

As another posted suggested. James Daniel, C, University of Iowa should be on our immediate radar.

52 minutes ago, wppete said:

in and start right now. 

Here are the Center rankings from Walterfootball.  http://walterfootball.com/draft2018C.php

Here is CBS Sports, although they have some Center prospects (such as Price) listed as guards.   https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/centers/

I'd expect Bozeman and the other SEC Center's to be a known quantity (either good or bad) with the new OC.   

3 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Thanks dude.  I get it.  I said it's a natural thought to think about replacements and view these guys just as X's and O's on our TVs.  Just something that's starting to turn me off as I am now getting older than the majority of guys still playing.  I didn't mean to attack anyone or incite anything.

Oh you did not attack anyone, and I am aging right along with you, my friend.

What an age we live in.  What's up?  What's now?  What's next?  :(

Wood is just plain a Buffalo Guy...I don't like losing guys like him, that's for darn sure.  

Do you remember that time he pissed and moaned about playing in Buffalo?

...yeah, I don't either...ever.

• Like (+1) 2

2018 Dead Cap

These cap figures derive from the trade or release of players from the active roster or practice squad. All count toward the team total.

Player (10)
Pos.
Base Salary
Signing Bonus
Roster Bonus
Option Bonus
Workout Bonus
Restruc. Bonus
Misc.
Dead Cap
Cap Hit
Cap %
DareusMarcell Dareus DT - $10,000,000 - $4,200,000 - - - - $14,200,000 9.17
WoodEric Wood C $4,800,000 $4,333,334 - - - $1,258,334 - - $10,391,668 6.71
WilliamsAaron Williams SS - $1,300,000 - $1,125,000 - - - - $2,425,000 1.57
RaglandReggie Ragland ILB - $1,224,135 - - - - - - $1,224,135 0.79
DarbyRonald Darby CB - $395,853 - - - - - - $395,853 0.26
JonesCardale Jones QB - $191,696 - - - - - - $191,696 0.12
WilliamsJonathan Williams RB - $120,458 - - - - - - $120,458 0.08
ListenbeeKolby Listenbee WR - $66,466 - - - - - - $66,466 0.04
SeymourKevon Seymour CB - $50,178 - - - - - - $50,178 0.03
CroomJason Croom TE - $7,334 - - - - - - $7,334

Groy, at least for now. We have to many holes to not take advantage of a player that has shown he can hold the fort. We need a right side of the line and Richie isnt a spring chicken. as of last year Dawkins couldnt find his feet to play RT and who knows whats going to happen with Cordy.

1 hour ago, Adam727 said:

$4.8mil 2018 base salary = 100% guaranteed for injury  + $4,333,333 signing bonus + $1,258,334 restructure bonus = $10,391,668 dead money.

Sad day for Eric, sad day for the Bills fans, sad day for the team going forward now that they lost their starting center who will count $10.4mil against the cap anyway.  

can they do a post june deal and cut the number in half for this season 

4 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

That would only make this whole debacle look MORE racist than it already looks.  Why would you want MORE racism? NFL's best fans indeed.

Wait....what???

Im talking about starting Groy and signing a cheap vet back up C in FA.

What are you talking about?