Source: Bills all in on Peterman unless they can land Sam Darnold

10 hours ago, 1billsfan said:

I think it's pretty ridiculous to get into the exercise of pretending to have any sort of idea of how Peterman is either good or bad at being an NFL QB. Especially based on one full game of real NFL game experience.

I trust McDermott if he thinks Peterman is his guy, or if he wants to go in another direction and this is all a head fake to move up for his guy. McDermott seems very smart, he did get this franchise a playoff game.

Well, you know, I'm not an NFL scout, and I don't have access to the tools scouts have.  I don't know as much about football as some of the folks here.  But I'm not dumber than a box of rocks, I've been watching football pretty much since I could walk, and I've been walking a right smart of years by now.  Back in Da Day, I used to get regular shipments of VCR tapes of games.  When it came out, I got coach's film.  And the faults I see in Peterman are exactly the faults that professional scouts called out last year in his scouting report.  They were on view in preseason.  They were on view in spades in the games he's played in, especially the Jags and Chargers games.  I don't think it's ridiculous for an educated fan to have an opinion about a player, and it's always a good sign when it matches what professional scouts see (not press pundits, scouts)

Now people do go "over the top" here in all directions, "Taylor is the worst QB ever" "Peterman doesn't belong in the NFL" blah blah.  He is what he is - a 5th round developmental prospect who we drafted because he apparently has some strengths (very smart guy, great memory for plays) and some big holes in his game.  (He skipped the bench press at the Senior Bowl last year, guess why)  If he works his butt off double-time, he may improve.  If he doesn't, he'll be out of the game in a year and the degree he earned in 3 years at Tenn. plus studies at Pitt, will help him support himself nicely.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Well we are all entitled to our opinions. Based on watching the guy in college and as a pro everything that was considered a negative was magnified. You can feel free to hold out hope. I trust what I see. I also trust that McDermott sees it too. Onwards and upwards

Frankly, McDermott starting Peterman when he was clearly "Not Ready Nate" was a major loss of trust for me.  But if it's true that it was Dennison pushed for Peterman to start and McDermott moved on from Dennison, I may give him a mulligan on that - depending upon what happens at QB.  If all the talk about "upgrade at QB" comes down to signing AJ McCarron and having him compete with Peterman, we're in a "Falling Credibility Zone" where I'm concerned.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Well we are all entitled to our opinions. Based on watching the guy in college and as a pro everything that was considered a negative was magnified. You can feel free to hold out hope. I trust what I see. I also trust that McDermott sees it too. Onwards and upwards

Someone in a prior post gave the college scouting report of Peterman. It stated his limitations that appear to be evident in the pros. That is not to say that he can't improve because he can. But if one takes a realistic view of Peterman it is fair to say that he can be a functional/useful backup who can run a pro offense. That's what I see him as.  

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, you know, I'm not an NFL scout, and I don't have access to the tools scouts have.  I don't know as much about football as some of the folks here.  But I'm not dumber than a box of rocks, I've been watching football pretty much since I could walk, and I've been walking a right smart of years by now.  Back in Da Day, I used to get regular shipments of VCR tapes of games.  When it came out, I got coach's film.  And the faults I see in Peterman are exactly the faults that professional scouts called out last year in his scouting report.  They were on view in preseason.  They were on view in spades in the games he's played in, especially the Jags and Chargers games.  I don't think it's ridiculous for an educated fan to have an opinion about a player, and it's always a good sign when it matches what professional scouts see (not press pundits, scouts)

Now people do go "over the top" here in all directions, "Taylor is the worst QB ever" "Peterman doesn't belong in the NFL" blah blah.  He is what he is - a 5th round developmental prospect who we drafted because he apparently has some strengths (very smart guy, great memory for plays) and some big holes in his game.  (He skipped the bench press at the Senior Bowl last year, guess why)  If he works his butt off double-time, he may improve.  If he doesn't, he'll be out of the game in a year and the degree he earned in 3 years at Tenn. plus studies at Pitt, will help him support himself nicely.

Frankly, McDermott starting Peterman when he was clearly "Not Ready Nate" was a major loss of trust for me.  But if it's true that it was Dennison pushed for Peterman to start and McDermott moved on from Dennison, I may give him a mulligan on that - depending upon what happens at QB.  If all the talk about "upgrade at QB" comes down to signing AJ McCarron and having him compete with Peterman, we're in a "Falling Credibility Zone" where I'm concerned.

Peterman and his flaws are interesting to me.

Other than working on arm strength/driving the ball, I'm not sure how he can learn about NFL defensive speed, and what windows are open vs what windows aren't, other than to actually be thrown into multiple games and test it out.

It's quite a conundrum for me.

His hero ball mentality isn't always a bad thing.

It's how amazing comeback plays are made.

It's also how you throw 5 ints in like 13 attempts.

Hero ball works when you have the arm/smarts to make those throws more often than not.

It crashes and burns when you don't.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, SaviorPeterman said:

FYI, a blockbuster trade or major move may be imminent. Possibly something I reported on as insiders and sources out west are buzzing tonight.....

Wrong again now stop with your bs sources crap. First that wasn't from one of your bs sources. It was from Twitter and reported before you did. Second you're wrong about what it is. 

24 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Peterman and his flaws are interesting to me.

Other than working on arm strength/driving the ball, I'm not sure how he can learn about NFL defensive speed, and what windows are open vs what windows aren't, other than to actually be thrown into multiple games and test it out.

It's quite a conundrum for me.

His hero ball mentality isn't always a bad thing.

It's how amazing comeback plays are made.

It's also how you throw 5 ints in like 13 attempts.

Hero ball works when you have the arm/smarts to make those throws more often than not.

It crashes and burns when you don't.

Well, definitely major offseason work on arm strength/power and footwork would be a huge help to him.  If you look at (say) Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady in their draft profile vs now, there's huge development in their strength.  And while accuracy may or may not be able to be improved (depends upon what's causing it), arm strength definitely can.  Not just strength training - needs to train for power.

Part of it IMO is being confused by defensive coverage.  He doesn't know what he doesn't know.  So a lot of watching NFL film and good, consistent coaching on what to look for on each play would help.

It's IMO a big problem for today's crop of QB that the CBA limits off season contact between players and coaches.  I understand McCarthy used to put on quite the off-season QB camp and that's one reason Aaron Rodgers developed as he did.  There's a niche market for someone to develop an VR/AV system that could train QB.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, definitely major offseason work on arm strength/power and footwork would be a huge help to him.  If you look at (say) Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady in their draft profile vs now, there's huge development in their strength.  And while accuracy may or may not be able to be improved (depends upon what's causing it), arm strength definitely can.  Not just strength training - needs to train for power.

Part of it IMO is being confused by defensive coverage.  He doesn't know what he doesn't know.  So a lot of watching NFL film and good, consistent coaching on what to look for on each play would help.

It's IMO a big problem for today's crop of QB that the CBA limits off season contact between players and coaches.  I understand McCarthy used to put on quite the off-season QB camp and that's one reason Aaron Rodgers developed as he did.  There's a niche market for someone to develop an VR/AV system that could train QB.

Interesting, I forgot about the off-season limitations on the CBA.

Interesting thought though, I remember one of the major reasons argued for that was to prolong careers and give players more time to refresh and recover between seasons.

Could that be a direct correlation to the fact that we are seeing guys remaining at elite levels (brady, Brees, etc) ?

10 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Interesting thought though, I remember one of the major reasons argued for that was to prolong careers and give players more time to refresh and recover between seasons.

Could that be a direct correlation to the fact that we are seeing guys remaining at elite levels (brady, Brees, etc) ?

I think the increased longevity is more related to the new rules around "roughing the passer" and illegal hits plus, increased focus by players on training for injury prevention year-round. 

I'm all for giving players an "off season", but for skill players especially QB, I think it's the "law of unintended consequences".  Off season study (not workouts) with coaches is part of what helped many of the current greats become great, I believe.

Frankly, it may also relate to the increasing inadequacy of college ball as an NFL QB farm system and the FA system which gives you 4-5 years of a player's services.  If you can replace Drew Bledsoe with Tom Brady or Brett Favre with Aaron Rodgers, you do.  If you can replace Tom Brady with Jimmy Garappolo, you do - unless Bob Kraft says "you don't" :D Then your guy goes to a different team, different system, his play falls off, on to the next.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think the increased longevity is more related to the new rules around "roughing the passer" and illegal hits plus, increased focus by players on training for injury prevention year-round. 

I'm all for giving players an "off season", but for skill players especially QB, I think it's the "law of unintended consequences".  Off season study (not workouts) with coaches is part of what helped many of the current greats become great, I believe.

Agreed on all of the above.

I was just saying I find it interesting that one of the major reasons they wanted off-season limitations was to increase career length, so I think it plays into the equation.

Studying, film room, non contact mechanics drills, throwing drills, all that stuff should absolutely be allowed if the player wants to.

1 hour ago, SouthNYfan said:

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Frankly, it may also relate to the increasing inadequacy of college ball as an NFL QB farm system and the FA system which gives you 4-5 years of a player's services.  If you can replace Drew Bledsoe with Tom Brady or Brett Favre with Aaron Rodgers, you do.  If you can replace Tom Brady with Jimmy Garappolo, you do - unless Bob Kraft says "you don't" :D Then your guy goes to a different team, different system, his play falls off, on to the next.

Less off seasoning (official) conditioning programs will not increase a players career.  the opposite is likely true.  Look how many guys are injured in training camp or the preseason compared to the regular season.  Guys like Brees and Brady are 365 days a year fitness fanatics. 

Also, fat too much is made of the "roughing the passer rules", etc.  Today's QBs are taking tons of hits.  record numbers have been injured and replaced by backups for at least parts of the season.  Defenders may pay a higher penalty for hits, but that's clearly not deterring them form getting such penalties.

23 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Less off seasoning (official) conditioning programs will not increase a players career.  the opposite is likely true.  Look how many guys are injured in training camp or the preseason compared to the regular season.  Guys like Brees and Brady are 365 days a year fitness fanatics. 

I agree with the idea behind this, I was referring specifically to guys like Brady and Brees, the elite players, who condition year round.

Having them not being pounded in the off-season by contact drills will definitely prolong their career.

The lazy bums it will be worse for, because they'll show up fat and outta shape (I'm looking at you Eddie lazy... I mean Eddie Lacy)

On 1/24/2018 at 1:34 PM, TheFunPolice said:

Not sure Peterman has much upside...

When he throws to the outside you can put 6 on the board for the other team. Ball takes too long to get there.

Sal literally said this on WGR during training camp this summer.  Then it happened when we needed it least.

I notice the other thread is now locked regarding upcoming shocking Bills roster news or whatever...

And then this news comes out of nowhere that Eric Wood is finished.

I would say that qualifies as shocking Bills roster news.  It just came a bit earlier than "next week".

They didn't want Dashon Watson, but they are all in on this garbage QB who won nothing in college . That shows this regime  has no clue and got their job not based on merit but who they know.  As for  Eric wood I always felt he was overrated save us on the cap...

Edited by liverpoolkev

2 minutes ago, liverpoolkev said:

They didn't want Dashon Watson, but they are all in on this garbage QB who won nothing in college . That shows this regime  has no clue and got their job not based on merit but who they know

That's only if you buy into a premise that makes zero sense based on what we saw last season and what the GM has said since the season ended. 

20 minutes ago, Foreigner said:

You better hope Peterman is cut because he is not even a backup QB, and you can take that

to the bank of your 5th rounder, although what McDermott wants Mcdermott gets unfortunately.

...yup...his extensive body of work has allowed you to reach this conclusion..........got it....Jesus.........I'd love to come here as a drafted rook.......and would leave my car running............

8 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...yup...his extensive body of work has allowed you to reach this conclusion..........got it....Jesus.........I'd love to come here as a drafted rook.......and would leave my car running............

Well if Peterman ever turns out to be good there will be no shortage of doubters to push off the bandwagon.

9 minutes ago, Lfod said:

Well if Peterman ever turns out to be good there will be no shortage of doubters to push off the bandwagon.

...well, the 5th ROUND PICK did have minis, OTA's, some pre-season work, ONE start and some mop up duty which is a TBD "career" by definition.....his bandwagon already has one wheel and it's leaking.....WELCOME NATE..........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

13 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...well, the 5th ROUND PICK did have minis, OTA's, some pre-season work, ONE start and some mop up duty which is a TBD "career" by definition.....his bandwagon already has one wheel and it's leaking.............

I can understand people jumping to conclusions. I myself would like to see more until I'm convinced. I was the same way with Tyrod. When others hated on him I wanted him to become elite. 

It sucks they probably will be right but I myself think he deserves more of a chance. I would be happy to struggle with any rookie if it meant the team finally having a name at QB. 

I'd like the thought of actually developing a QB instead of plugging in different guys till we get lucky. 

I'm on record that I wouldn't hate Peterman starting. My only reason is hope. 

Edited by Lfod

3 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I can understand people jumping to conclusions. I myself would like to see more until I'm convinced. I was the same way with Tyrod. When others hated on him I wanted him to become elite. 

It sucks they probably will be right but I myself think he deserves more of a chance. I would be happy to struggle with any rookie if it meant the team finally having a name at QB. 

...if that was MY window to prove myself in Buffalo, I'd never come here if TBD ran the OBD show.....but then again, you now know why the "One & Done Gang" has yet to yield an NFL GM (COUGH)....Tyrod is a whole different story.....four years as an understudy and three as a starter is a FAR bigger window of assessment for analysis......and I CERTAINLY wanted the kid to fulfill his NFL dream and succeed.....if that happened, wouldn't Buffalo succeed as well?.....hating him or hoping for failure was proverbial Azzclown 101 thinking..........

26 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I'd like the thought of actually developing a QB instead of plugging in different guys till we get lucky. 

I'm on record that I wouldn't hate Peterman starting. My only reason is hope. 

you'll see more, that is if he is part of the plan going forward? he'll get his reps in camp/preseason again but he'll be on the sideline as the back up watching when the season comes around.

that's where I see him and anyone should be able to see (or saw, he's still raw) he is far from an nfl caliber starting QB and still needs to work on competing for the #2 position which he may earn, could drop to #3 if the rookie shows promise.? if he were to learn a system and prove he can be at the ready when his number is called and settle down some I believe he will make a fine back up. maybe not frank reich level but definitely better then thigpen or any of the other scrubs they had in the past at back up.

he was literally thrown to the wolves and failed the test but if he is still on the roster come september, then they must of seen enough potential to compete for #2?

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

34 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

you'll see more, that is if he is part of the plan going forward? he'll get his reps in camp/preseason again but he'll be on the sideline as the back up watching when the season comes around.

that's where I see him and anyone should be able to see (or saw, he's still raw) he is far from an nfl caliber starting QB and still needs to work on competing for the #2 position which he may earn, could drop to #3 if the rookie shows promise.? if he were to learn a system and prove he can be at the ready when his number is called and settle down some I believe he will make a fine back up. maybe not frank reich level but definitely better then thigpen or any of the other scrubs they had in the past at back up.

he was literally thrown to the wolves and failed the test but if he is still on the roster come september, then they must of seen enough potential to compete for #2?

I'll agree he was thrown to the wolves and failed his first test. Was he given proper development? I'd say the Bills track record for developing QBs isn't stellar. 

I cut him a little slack because the offense was terrible. They fired the OC. The offense scored 3 points in a playoff game. I never expected him to be the one guy to turn around that entire mess. Even Tyrod got murdered a few times on that offense. He threw a few picks and took long sacks and was knocked out of games. 

In the end I like McDermott a lot and whatever he decides to do I respect. You don't learn to ride a bike without falling down. The best people at thier craft fail at first. I think it's a little unfair to write him off even though people are probably gonna be right. The NFL is no joke man. 

Edited by Lfod

28 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Thanks for your ringing endorsement of NP.  Peterman went through the number 3 to number two last year. The "thats where i see him", does not make it so and the rest of your post is conjecture. you are entitled to your opinion  but that's all 

2 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I'll agree he was thrown to the wolves and failed his first test. Was he given proper development? I'd say the Bills track record for developing QBs isn't stellar. 

I cut him a little slack because the offense was terrible. They fired the OC. The offense scored 3 points in a playoff game. I never expected him to be the one guy to turn around that entire mess.

In the end I like McDermott a lot and whatever he decides to do I respect. You don't learn to ride a bike without falling down. The best people at thier craft fail at first. 

this is true. he still is, in my opinion, a back up. I wasn't necessarily knocking him for failing and was using the little time he had as an early gauge. in that frame, he failed. even the snow game when he dove in to the opponents helmet. it should be coached back in midget league and ingrained in their minds that you slide son, slide. he has much to learn going forward.

different views, it's what it's all about and keeps things interesting. 

2 minutes ago, Wily Dog said:

Thanks for your ringing endorsement of NP.  Peterman went through the number 3 to number two last year. The "thats where i see him", does not make it so and the rest of your post is conjecture. you are entitled to your opinion  but that's all 

well thank you

1 hour ago, Foreigner said:

You better hope Peterman is cut because he is not even a backup QB, and you can take that

to the bank of your 5th rounder, although what McDermott wants Mcdermott gets unfortunately.

I don't buy into this "McDermott thinks NP is the man" stuff.

He has to know the odds of Peterman being even a decent backup are slim.

Here's a list of the 32 QBs drafted in the 5th over the past 20 years.

I don't see one starter and only a few decent backups.

2017 5 171 Nathan Peterman QB Pittsburgh Buffalo Bills
2016 5 162 Kevin Hogan QB Stanford Kansas City Chiefs
2015 5 147 Brett Hundley QB UCLA Green Bay Packers
2014 5 163 Aaron Murray QB Georgia Kansas City Chiefs
2014 5 164 AJ McCarron QB Alabama Cincinnati Bengals
2011 5 135 Ricky Stanzi QB Iowa Kansas City Chiefs
2011 5 152 T.J Yates QB North Carolina Houston Texans
2011 5 160 Nathan Enderle QB Idaho Chicago Bears
2010 5 155 John Skelton QB Fordham Arizona Cardinals
2010 5 168 Jonathan Crompton QB Tennessee San Diego Chargers
2009 5 151 Rhett Bomar QB Sam Houston State New York Giants
2009 5 171 Nate Davis QB Ball State San Francisco 49ers
2008 5 137 John David Booty QB USC Minnesota Vikings
2008 5 156 Dennis Dixon QB Oregon Pittsburgh Steelers
2008 5 160 Josh Johnson QB San Diego Tampa Bay Buccaneers
2008 5 162 Erik Ainge QB Tennessee New York Jets
2007 5 151 Jeff Rowe QB Nevada-Reno Cincinnati Bengals
2007 5 174 Troy Smith QB Ohio State Baltimore Ravens
2006 5 148 Ingle Martin QB Furman Green Bay Packers
2006 5 164 Omar Jacobs QB Bowling Green State Pittsburgh Steelers
2005 5 145 Dan Orlovsky QB Connecticut Detroit Lions
2005 5 152 Adrian McPherson QB Florida State New Orleans Saints
2004 5 148 Craig Krenzel QB Ohio State Chicago Bears
2003 5 163 Brian St. Pierre QB Boston College Pittsburgh Steelers
2002 5 137 Randy Fasani QB Stanford Carolina Panthers
2002 5 158 Kurt Kittner QB Illinois Atlanta Falcons
2002 5 163 Brandon Doman QB Brigham Young San Francisco 49ers
2002 5 164 Craig Nall QB Northwestern State-Louisiana Green Bay Packers
2001 5 149 Mike McMahon QB Rutgers Detroit Lions
2001 5 155 A.J. Feeley QB Oregon Philadelphia Eagles
2000 5 163 Tee Martin QB Tennessee Pittsburgh Steelers
1999 5 151 Kevin Daft QB California-Davis Tennessee Titans

1 minute ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

this is true. he still is, in my opinion, a back up. I wasn't necessarily knocking him for failing and was using the little time he had as an early gauge. in that frame, he failed. even the snow game when he dove in to the opponents helmet. it should be coached back in midget league and ingrained in their minds that you slide son, slide. he has much to learn going forward.

different views, it's what it's all about and keeps things interesting. 

I agree completely. I think the only difference in our view is if he's a finished product or not. To be clear, I am not in any way saying he will be good. I'm just still holding on to hope because its not exactly raining options and I want the team to find it's own answers within. That's my dream scenario.

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

I don't buy into this "McDermott thinks NP is the man" stuff.

He has to know the odds of Peterman being even a decent backup are slim.

Here's a list of the 32 QBs drafted in the 5th over the past 20 years.

I don't see one starter and only a few decent backups.

2017 5 171 Nathan Peterman QB Pittsburgh Buffalo Bills
2016 5 162 Kevin Hogan QB Stanford Kansas City Chiefs
2015 5 147 Brett Hundley QB UCLA Green Bay Packers
2014 5 163 Aaron Murray QB Georgia Kansas City Chiefs
2014 5 164 AJ McCarron QB Alabama Cincinnati Bengals
2011 5 135 Ricky Stanzi QB Iowa Kansas City Chiefs
2011 5 152 T.J Yates QB North Carolina Houston Texans
2011 5 160 Nathan Enderle QB Idaho Chicago Bears
2010 5 155 John Skelton QB Fordham Arizona Cardinals
2010 5 168 Jonathan Crompton QB Tennessee San Diego Chargers
2009 5 151 Rhett Bomar QB Sam Houston State New York Giants
2009 5 171 Nate Davis QB Ball State San Francisco 49ers
2008 5 137 John David Booty QB USC Minnesota Vikings
2008 5 156 Dennis Dixon QB Oregon Pittsburgh Steelers
2008 5 160 Josh Johnson QB San Diego Tampa Bay Buccaneers
2008 5 162 Erik Ainge QB Tennessee New York Jets
2007 5 151 Jeff Rowe QB Nevada-Reno Cincinnati Bengals
2007 5 174 Troy Smith QB Ohio State Baltimore Ravens
2006 5 148 Ingle Martin QB Furman Green Bay Packers
2006 5 164 Omar Jacobs QB Bowling Green State Pittsburgh Steelers
2005 5 145 Dan Orlovsky QB Connecticut Detroit Lions
2005 5 152 Adrian McPherson QB Florida State New Orleans Saints
2004 5 148 Craig Krenzel QB Ohio State Chicago Bears
2003 5 163 Brian St. Pierre QB Boston College Pittsburgh Steelers
2002 5 137 Randy Fasani QB Stanford Carolina Panthers
2002 5 158 Kurt Kittner QB Illinois Atlanta Falcons
2002 5 163 Brandon Doman QB Brigham Young San Francisco 49ers
2002 5 164 Craig Nall QB Northwestern State-Louisiana Green Bay Packers
2001 5 149 Mike McMahon QB Rutgers Detroit Lions
2001 5 155 A.J. Feeley QB Oregon Philadelphia Eagles
2000 5 163 Tee Martin QB Tennessee Pittsburgh Steelers
1999 5 151 Kevin Daft QB California-Davis Tennessee Titans

Wow that's a pretty rough list lol. Mccaron might be good one day, but the others are pretty bad

I know that Qb's Are generally picked i or 2 with a success rate of 50% or less. There have been cases where even free agents have become starters. Case Keenum in the modern era and Johnny Unitas in the dark ages. Das Prescott  was a 4th rounder and of course everybody know Tommy was a 6th rounder. I also know the odds are against  him but , wouldn't,t it be nice if the Bill's  could find a horse shoe at last. If McD is really in the kid's camp  and if we have a rookie QB in the draft who obviously won't start , we can see . I would like to see some optimism for our team and organization , rather than the continual sniping of our Coach and GM,

1 hour ago, billsfan11 said:

Wow that's a pretty rough list lol. Mccaron might be good one day, but the others are pretty bad

No doubt.  6th and 7th rounds are really no better.

Everyone talks about Brady but.......................it really is such a HUGE exception that it really isn't worth thinking about.

1 hour ago, Wily Dog said:

I know that Qb's Are generally picked i or 2 with a success rate of 50% or less. There have been cases where even free agents have become starters. Case Keenum in the modern era and Johnny Unitas in the dark ages. Das Prescott  was a 4th rounder and of course everybody know Tommy was a 6th rounder. I also know the odds are against  him but , wouldn't,t it be nice if the Bill's  could find a horse shoe at last. If McD is really in the kid's camp  and if we have a rookie QB in the draft who obviously won't start , we can see . I would like to see some optimism for our team and organization , rather than the continual sniping of our Coach and GM,

It sure would be nice, but the odds are very slim.

I hope on every QB pick but..........................maybe Peterman can be the exception.

If true this is an outrage of the highest order. An abomination. A kerfuffle. A conundrum. 

How could any any competent staff see Peterman as anything other than Frank Reich at best, Gale Gilbert at worst? 

If more, tar and feather them all immediately. Furthermore, send them all over the falls in a tar coated flaming ship with huge Ls on the side. 

Nathan freaking Peterman? Really? 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/24/2018 at 2:30 PM, BuffaloHokie13 said:

He roughly completed one pass to the opposing team for every 4 completions to our team, fwiw.

When you have a chance, could you punch in the numbers and let me know how many completions per punt Tyrod produced? 

I just realized a fun fact, too: Tyrod started 12 more games than the INT Kid, and yet only had 12 more TD passes.

On 1/25/2018 at 8:21 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

At best he's a backup and worst he's an insurance salesman. 

Interesting. I'd say the same thing about Tyrod Taylor. 

Guy is a top 5 backup in the NFL. Hopefully a contender with an established starter makes a move for TT, it would be a really smart move. 

Actually... it would be a really smart "insurance policy", if you will. 

Edited by twoandfourteen

On 1/25/2018 at 4:59 PM, Mat68 said:

Has any all-pro Qb ever have such disastrous results in meaningful football to start their career?  The great Qbs show themselves pretty quickly and clearly when they enter games.  Nathan Peterman is going to battle for a roster spot this offseason that is the reality of the situation.  There is a 0% chance Peterman is the opening day starter.   

Yes, actually. 

You'd be surprised by the members of that list. 

I suggest looking a few up, but I'll give you a free one... Brett Favre's first two NFL completions were to the Washington Redskins. His first NFL completion to a member of his own team didn't occur until the 'Ol Gunslinger's second season. 

On 1/25/2018 at 8:47 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

The chief thing he lacks is the requisite talent required to be a consistent NFL starter along a lack of composure when he's under pressure. 

DSERbWoX0AQRoN1.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Ha! Craig Nall. 

You're remembering his illustrious Buffalo Bills career, aren't you.

Buffalo Bills[edit]

In 2006, Craig Nall signed as an unrestricted free agent with the Buffalo Bills, where he competed for the starting quarterback position until a hamstring injury suffered on the second day of practice ended his involvement in the competition. In 2007, he fell on the team's depth chart behind J. P. Losman and Trent Edwards. At the end of pre-season, he was cut from the team's final roster. Early into the regular season he was re-signed by the Bills but was released shortly thereafter

Good Times!

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, twoandfourteen said:

When you have a chance, could you punch in the numbers and let me know how many completions per punt Tyrod produced? 

I just realized a fun fact, too: Tyrod started 12 more games than the INT Kid, and yet only had 12 more TD passes.

You really just can't help yourself can you? You're obsessed! In a thread about Peterman you quote a post about Peterman that has no mention whatsoever of Tyrod, and you are still compelled to bring him up. Why? Tyrod's mediocrity has absolutely no bearing on Peterman's abysmal play.

Here's a fun fact: over his ~5 quarters of play, Peterman exactly matched Tyrod's passing TD% as a Buffalo Bill (4.1%).

Here's another fun fact: In 2017, among all players who attempted at least 20 passes, only one had an INT% over 10% (Peterman). The next highest after Peterman was a tie between Kevin Hogan and Paxton Lynch at 6.7%

You want better than Tyrod? Great! Peterman ain't it. And he's gonna need major gains in arm strength to ever even come close.

• Thank you (+1) 1