Sal Capaccio: What you need to know about Brian Daboll

HappyDays

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/capaccio-what-you-need-know-about-brian-daboll

Read the whole article if you want but the last section is the most interesting to me.

SCHEME/PHILOSOPHY:

Judging from Daboll’s previous NFL stops, he’s certainly leaned much more on the run than the pass overall, ranking among the lowest in the league in percentage of passing plays versus running plays. Here are the run/pass ratios of Daboll’s teams as a coordinator, and where that percentage of passing plays ranked out of 32 teams:

2009 Browns (51% Run/49% Pass; 30th)

2010 Browns (45/55; 19th)

2011 Dolphins (47/53; 27th)

2012 Chiefs (49/51; 29th)

Taking a look at the staring quarterbacks Daboll has had to work with in his four years as a coordinator might explain why his offenses have been so run-heavy:

2009 Browns - Brady Quinn, Derek Anderson

2010 Browns - Colt McCoy, Jake Delhomme, Seneca Wallace

2011 Dolphins - Matt Moore, Chad Henne

2012 Chiefs - Matt Cassel, Brady Quinn

One theme that has consistently come up a lot when researching Daboll’s history is that he tries to use mismatches with personnel in his offense, tailoring the game plan to each specific opponent on a weekly basis. Here’s what he told reporters after a 24-10 win over LSU last year: 

"You choose what you want to do and each week based on what the other team does, based on the coverages that they play.  You don't just draw up new stuff every week...We can expand that or contract it or use the things that we think are best based on what the other team plays. I think that's what we've tried to do all year long and that's what gives the players the best chance to execute."

One difference Bills fans may see in the offense next year, which will most likely be a welcome sight, is the return to more of a “power” or “gap” blocking run scheme. That’s primarily what the Bills utilized for two years under Greg Roman and Anthony Lynn in 2015 and 2016 when they led the league in both yards per-game and yards per-play both years and set franchise records in several rushing categories.  

This past year under Rick Dennison, the Bills used much more of a “zone” blocking scheme. After struggling in the run game through the better part of the first five weeks, Dennison began incorporating more power blocking into the run game after their bye week and it paid off. At season’s end, the Bills ranked sixth in yards per-game on the ground and 14th in yards per-play, but still far below where they had been in the previous two years. Although LeSean McCoy still finished fourth in the NFL in rushing yards, he had the lowest yards per-attempt of his NFL career in 2017, averaging 4.0 per-carry.

Daboll's offenses have produced a 1,000 yard rusher in three of his four years as an NFL coordinator.

In the passing game, Daboll’s schemes have mostly included dropback passing attacks, as opposed to some of the rollout concepts we saw last year under Dennison. Also, he hasn’t been shy about featuring one player, whether that’s a wide receiver, tight end, or running back. For example, in 2011 with the Dolphins, wideout Brandon Marshall was eighth in the league with 141 targets. He finished 10th in the NFL with 1,214 yards.  

In 2010, the Browns’ Ben Watson had 102 targets and 68 catches. Both numbers ranked fifth amongst all tight ends that year.

In 2012 in Kansas City, running back Jamaal Charles finished sixth in the league in touches with 285 rushing attempts (the most of his career) and 35 catches out of the backfield. He finished fifth in yards from scrimmage that year with 1,745.

Going back to the run scheme of the previous 2 seasons alone will be a win.  Hopefully they can get a competent QB and really turn the offense into something.

Meant to add that I have no idea why Dennison went away from that scheme.  Why do people feel the need to change what's been working? :rolleyes:

Edited by Doc

Wondering if this means we make a meaningful push to resign Jordan Matthews. He really could do well in this pass scheme. Zay, if he can rebound and it turns out the shoulder was to blame could also be well suited for it. 

Still say we need someone with speed. Brice Butler of the Cowboys would be a really nice flier.  

My hope is that Dabol really learned from his past failures and from working in New England at a high level.  Also, it's believed that he very well could have been the successor to Josh McDaniel or that McDaniel could have hired him as OC for the Colts/Titans position.  That has to say something about him as a play caller.

8 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Looks like John Miller might be in play again for starting RG.

Also LeSean McCoy might have a big smile on his face.

i am okay with both thoughts

3 minutes ago, stuvian said:

who will train our next great QB?

not done hiring i bet

5 hours ago, Zqueezr said:

The more I learn about Daboll the more I like the hire..

give it time.
 i will go on record to say this is a medium floor high ceiling score by McBeanes

4 hours ago, mead107 said:

In my opinion, good hire

from the stodgy one , even.

nice

13 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Let's get this guy a quality QB. Scrub the zone run blocking. And don't be so damned conservative and unpredictable like Hackett and Dennison. I want a "clever" OC.

you realize that IT is not about neither you nor Eye?

4 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

No wonder he ran the ball so much. He has had absolutely nothing to work with and little talent overall.

This is why i find it hard to believe we will land a vet QB via free agency/release since our wide out group really lacks.We have KB,then we are looking at skin and bones.This fact could derail a "top gun" from signing with us.

9 hours ago, Doc said:

Going back to the run scheme of the previous 2 seasons alone will be a win.  Hopefully they can get a competent QB and really turn the offense into something.

Meant to add that I have no idea why Dennison went away from that scheme.  Why do people feel the need to change what's been working? :rolleyes:

I know!!

We likely advance in playoffs with the Roman scheme. Where was the zone read?!? That was our bread and butter with Tyrod/Shady and reason we were one of the top red zone teams in 15 and 16. Boggles my mind why coordinators change dominant aspects of the O or D..

10 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Ted Marchibroda was once considered a very conservative play caller. Then, he had Jim Kelly and some weapons.

Thurman run, Thurman pass, Reed pass,  Thurman run, Thurman run, Beebee pass 

I was at a game late in their careers and I swear I called nearly 90% of the plays.