Juan Castillo Offensive Line / Run Game Coordinator is issue

I keep seeing Rick Dennison getting blame for what Juan Castillo is responsible for.  Juan Castillo was brought in before Dennison and Dennison was available at that time so Dennison was not first choice or he took convincing to go to Buffalo.   Coach McDermott did not like the scheme nor coaches Bills had and brought in Castillo who uses a different run / block scheme.  It is debatable whether he improved the offense but it certainly was not tailoring for TT's skills and he struggled in it.  Castillo added some of the old run blocking and plays and it improved it but not significantly.

I am not saying Rick Dennison is a top end offensive scheme talent but Castillo needs to take the fall if Dennison does.

Agreed! Mc D seems to be a little soft and i am really not to sure who's making the decisions at OBD? This is a win now league and we are in a win now situation. Props to them on this year for sure, but the process cannot be pick the best guys off of the practice squad anymore or the best personality contest. It does take talent to win in this league and for the most part the most talented guys in the league come with some sort of attitude or problem.

Changes need to be made with OC, Oline coach and QB. I am also not sold on Frazier either.

5 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Taylor holds the ball on average over 3 seconds...the longest in the league. There is no scheme tailored to that.

Sure there is.  In college football.

14 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

I don't mean he doesn't have the power to do it, I meant I don't think he can bring himself to fire a friend

If he can't he is in same situation Wade Phillips who brought in an incompetent coach and lost his job (rightly IMO) because he would not fire him.  Push him upstairs and make him an analyst but something needs to change.

35 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I keep seeing Rick Dennison getting blame for what Juan Castillo is responsible for.  Juan Castillo was brought in before Dennison and Dennison was available at that time so Dennison was not first choice or he took convincing to go to Buffalo.   Coach McDermott did not like the scheme nor coaches Bills had and brought in Castillo who uses a different run / block scheme.  It is debatable whether he improved the offense but it certainly was not tailoring for TT's skills and he struggled in it.  Castillo added some of the old run blocking and plays and it improved it but not significantly.

I am not saying Rick Dennison is a top end offensive scheme talent but Castillo needs to take the fall if Dennison does.

Cut the head off the snake and the body follows. They both need to be future endeavoured.

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Sure there is.  In college football.

What bet did you lose that you are stuck wearing Jauronimo's avatar?

41 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Can you point to any evidence whatsoever (other than the guy's title) that Castillo was in charge of the running game?

Because coming into Buffalo - all that was talked about was how Dennison was bringing his outside zone running attack to Buffalo.    I don't recall it ever being mentioned anywhere that this offensive running scheme was in any way designed by or decided by Castillo.

When asked about it, Dennison answered all the questions regarding the running attack and the failure of it.  Dennison was the one (if I recall correctly) who was explaining that they were going to be going back to more of the running plays the Bills ran last year and less of what they were doing more recently.

I am sure Castillo shares in the blame.   I am not in any way convinced he deserves most of the blame over Dennison.    Castillo wasn't the one calling the outside zone run in the playoff game.

Kromer was under contract, did a fantastic job, and was obligated to continue with the Bills if McCoach wanted to keep him.

Instead, McCoach chose to fire Kromer (as well as the team chaplain, Kathryn Smith, and others), but chose to keep Danny Crossman of all people for some reason.

27 minutes ago, Peter said:

Kromer was under contract, did a fantastic job, and was obligated to continue with the Bills if McCoach wanted to keep him.

Instead, McCoach chose to fire Kromer (as well as the team chaplain, Kathryn Smith, and others), but chose to keep Danny Crossman of all people for some reason.

At no point in Crossman’s long, 3 coach tenure have I thought he was a good hire or even average.

Damn him!

The whole offensive staff probably needs to go. Dennison had never called plays before is old and sucks. Castillo has done a crappy job wherever he's been. Culley is a WR coach coaching quarterbacks. Too early to tell on McGeoghan, but we got little out of our wideouts plus I blame him for getting us Zay Jones instead of JuJu, Cooper Kupp, even Chris Godwin. I like the job Rob Boras has done with tight ends, specifically with the development of Nick O'Leary. Kelly Skipper is whatever. I don't think Shady needs a coach, but it's too early to tell if he can develop a young guy because we don't have one. 

Just really underwhelemed with this offensive staff overall. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

Dennison is the OC....he implemented his stupid scheme on players that do not fit,,,,,,we seen him do some changes when needed (the TB game when he changed his scheme up a bit) but went right back to it and seemingly cannot adjust his playcalling when needed this entire season.......castillo is garbage...but who is responsible for changing a power line which we had great results in the prior 2 seasons to this stupid zone garbage which brought us down to bottom of league..........an entire sweep of the offence now needs to be done.....simple philosophy...if it aint broken dont fix it stupid!  You would think they learn after Rex Ryan came in and completely dismantled a top 5 Defence!

Edited by JPP

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

Taylor holds the ball on average over 3 seconds...the longest in the league. There is no scheme tailored to that.

Actually there is. It's called "Wide Receivers Who Are Fast, Can Get Separation and Then Can Catch The Freakin' Ball." It's quite a successful approach with several cutting-edge offenses. Maybe the extremely conservative Bills will look into it...someday.

11 minutes ago, yungmack said:

Actually there is. It's called "Wide Receivers Who Are Fast, Can Get Separation and Then Can Catch The Freakin' Ball." It's quite a successful approach with several cutting-edge offenses. Maybe the extremely conservative Bills will look into it...someday.

exactly,,,,,,,they need better WR and putting a west coast offence in place to a QB who has no business running one is ridiculous.....hell dennison cant even implement a good scheme.....when peyton manning calls you out (which he did)....there is something to be said about that,,,,,

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

At the beginning of the season the O-line struggled alot.  By year end, they were playing much better, so not certain the issue there was just that it took some time for the players to catch on.

Unless they are making in-game calls on the field, I don't think there's an assistant coach in the league that any fanbase of any team is qualified to say should go or should not go. There are literally HUNDREDS of variables that we all are unaware of going on. Coordinators (in most cases) are a little more transparent as to direct results they are responsible for.