If Dennison is brought back will you still trust the process?

Klaista2k

Dennison  

111 members have voted

1. 1. If the Bills bring back Dennison will you still trust the process?

• Yes
    • No

8 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

You will only "really" know what Dennison is capable of once you have a traditional QB. While it is clear that he did not try to change his scheme to fit Taylors strengths, I believe it was predetermined back in the Summer that the Bills would go with their scheme and see how the players on the bubble would fit in. They now know what they've got and what they need. I'd be willing to let it play out, although I would prefer a better offensive mind.

It is clear he adapted throughout the year.  He had several roll-out, QB draws, RPO’s etc - the things everyone asked for all year.  

The line repeatedly talked about how they adapted to more power runs with Cogs pulling.  

To say say he did not adapt is just the easy way out.  He adapted - Sal even had a great take on this.  The issue is TT did not adapt and get better from the pocket.  Dennison made changes, but needed and asked for more from TT and could not get it. 

• Like (+1) 1

In the best scenario with a pro bowl QB and pro bowl running back and possibly the best WR in the game at the time Dennison had one good season.  He's only had two decent seasons in his whole career.  Manning went from setting records for TD's to setting records for interceptions.  If they are going to keep him we and lose Tyrod we'll probably finish in the bottom half of rushing even with Shady and will be doing well to score 22 to 24 ppg.  I'd be rather happy if we manage 22 to 24 ppg with Dennison.  It takes him half a season to adjust to his players and in some games he actually made things worse as the game went on with in game adjustments.  It's not just a Buffalo thing.  He's been less than stellar in most situations with far greater talent than he has here.

28 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I'll have my standard take, the same one I took when they decided to start Peterman. I disagree with the decision, but I'm willing to see how it goes. Ultimately you have to expect some mistakes to be made along the way by a first time HC. How the HC responds to and learns from those mistakes is far more important to me than the mistakes themselves.

This. I would expect him to be on a short leash and I'd give him a chance to rebound with a new QB.

I trust McD.  I believe there's a process.  Dennison and Taylor is a no go.  I'm not a Dennison fan at all.  All that said I think things could get better than what we saw this year.  I just think Dennison is to coordinators what everyone thinks Taylor is to QBs.  If you are truly trying to build the best you are not going to start with Dennison.  He can do better than he did this year though.

18 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Dennison isn't innovative or creative.  He isn't a genius that will outsmart the other sideline often.  But give him some zone blocking linemen and a good pocket passer, and this offense can improve dramatically.

He's basically a generic offensive coordinator. Doesn't offer anything creative or innovative. His system can work with perfect execution but he doesn't push anyone above their baseline, compared with Roman/Lynn who turned similar personnel into a top 10 scoring offense.

9 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

To say say he did not adapt is just the easy way out.

I did not say he failed to adapt. I said he did not change his scheme. There's a huge difference there. In order to have sustained success with a QB like Taylor, you need to customize the entire scheme to incorporate the read-option into an every down playbook. That's the college game. It has been proven time and again that that game doesn't work for long in the NFL.

31 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Might not 100 percent agree however i also do understand how a flawed and limited QB can affect OC ability to call plays in a game and i know this system works in the Modern NFL. Ans I have seen open WRs and very nice designed route concepts this year 

Exactly how I feel. I know for sure that if they keep Tyrod next season I will not trust the process at all though. I am ok if McD wants to stay with our OC but 100% against keeping Tyrod on this roster.

34 minutes ago, Strethor said:

I have minor issues with Dennison regarding personnel decisions (Tolbert).. His play designs are usually pretty good but executed horribly by TT and example is the first and goal was a run pass option that TT botched entirely. Romo calls out play after play where guys are open but nothing happens - I cant judge Dennison because of this. When you have Taylor at QB and don't fully commit to molding a system that fits him it's no surprise that it has come to this. I would be open to giving Dennison a second chance to find a QB and a vet that fits what he wants to do but there has no doubt been some questionable things that he has done that would warrant not trusting the process

I definitely agree with you regarding Tolbert, but I wonder how much of that is McDermott force feeding Tolbert down Dennison's throat.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

It is clear he adapted throughout the year.  He had several roll-out, QB draws, RPO’s etc - the things everyone asked for all year.  

The line repeatedly talked about how they adapted to more power runs with Cogs pulling.  

To say say he did not adapt is just the easy way out.  He adapted - Sal even had a great take on this.  The issue is TT did not adapt and get better from the pocket.  Dennison made changes, but needed and asked for more from TT and could not get it. 

Took him all friggin year to do it when it was obvious by game 2 his running schemes sucked.

And yet even as recent as yesterday in the Bills final game of the year, he was still calling his friggin stretch zone runs that resulted in Shady getting tackled for a loss in the backfield like it did so often the rest of the year.

Dude sucks.

He saw what Tyrod looked like as a pocket passer in the one preseason game that was a complete dumpster fire on offense.   It was an utter disaster.  So why would he keep trying  to do it in subsequent games?   In preseason they explained it as they were trying to make Tyrod do things he was uncomfortable with.    But then he did it to him in regular season games too.   Insanity.

Do we need a better QB?  Yes.    Do we need a better offensive coordinator?   Yes.

Fast forward a year from now and imagine what it is going to be like if the offense still sucks.   McDermott will then be on a very hot seat for keeping Dennison.    Probably better to upgrade that position right now if you can - especially if you intend to bring in a new QB.    Unless of course you are going to bring in a vet as your new starter and that vet is already comfortable and proven to execute Dennison's passing game effectively.    

But last I checked, Peyton Manning is doing commercials for Nationwide Insurance.

1 hour ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I'll have my standard take, the same one I took when they decided to start Peterman. I disagree with the decision, but I'm willing to see how it goes. Ultimately you have to expect some mistakes to be made along the way by a first time HC. How the HC responds to and learns from those mistakes is far more important to me than the mistakes themselves.

This. 

I'm not liking what I saw from Dennison this season, but I'm willing to wait and see.  My answer is neither "yes" or "no" but "perhaps"

I'll still trust it.  Dennison gets some flack and I'm not saying he shouldn't but given what I've seen on All 22 from most games, I would say his play designs are on point.  Most of the time someone is open.  TT just was too timid; didn't see it; looked to the check down too often.  Some of the personnel decisions should be  better next year and I'd suspect if he had a QB more confident in what is going on we would have seen more.  I'm willing to continue to trust it.  Hell he was conservative and I think a lot of it had to do with TT.  But not all of it.  I'd like to see him with a QB that is more comfortable in the offense.  Taylor just did not seem comfortable.

1 hour ago, Reader said:

I don't know enough about football to know exactly how much of our problems are Dennison and how much are Tyrod. To have Romo pointing out open receiver after open receiver suggests Dennison might be better than he seems.

But Romo didn't point out open receiver after open receiver.

You might want to go back and watch the game again to see how few were the times he did.....

Edited by grb