If Dennison is brought back will you still trust the process?

Klaista2k

Dennison  

111 members have voted

1. 1. If the Bills bring back Dennison will you still trust the process?

• Yes
    • No

25 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think Castillo takes some blame because it's his job to make sure the line improves technique, and that just didn't happen. I think the problem is the personnel fitting the scheme. The problem with a guy like Tyrod is that they are asking him to do things he simply can't do. The problem with our line is that they were built for a power running scheme and they are just too slow and unathletic to make the zone scheme work. Again, we are asking them to do things they simply cannot do.

Aside from Dion Dawkins, none of these guys fit the scheme. Go watch the Atlanta Falcons play and see how fast their lineman move in space. Guys like Jake Matthews, Alex Mack, and Andy Levitre (though he is on IR right now). That is the type of lineman you want, not these big slow plodders. Watch them run zone plays and understand that is what our run game is supposed to look like. 

When Abry Jones (I think it was him or Marcell) split the double team between Incognito and Wood you could see the flaws in their abilities...slow with zero flexibility and bad feet.  

Yeah I don't doubt Castillo is also largely to blame - maybe even more so than Dennison for the outside zone not working this year.

The Bills did run outside zone plays 30 times last year (less than twice per game), but did execute it very well.   They averaged 5.73 yard per carry while doing it and averaged 2.77 yards before contact.   That was fantastic.   The average NFL team got 3.84 yards per carry and 1.16 yards before contact.   The Bills were dominant running the ball every way they tried to in 2016.   But they only ran that outside zone 30 times in the season where the NFL average was 91 times.   Atlanta, who ran it very well, ran it 200 times in comparison.

I don't know how many times the Bills ran the outside zone this year.   I think it was a lot, lot more often in the first few games and a lot, lot less often more recently.   But they weren't executing it very well at any point this season if I recall correctly.    And they mostly gave up on it in the last few games to their credit.   Although Dennison did call it in the playoff game at least once that I remember and it went for negative 3 yards with Shady getting mauled in the backfield.   (similar to what happened so often this year early on when they ran it)

I think an awful lot of last year's running game success can/should be attributed to the unpredictability of the running game and the fact that we had a very good 2nd back that could sometimes outperform the starting back.    Last year you weren't sure which gap the back was going to attack or even if it was going to be a back at all.   Sometimes the QB ran it.    You weren't even sure whether they were going to run to the strong side or weak side or counter.

This year it seems like you can guess, with too much accuracy, where the point of attack is going to be.  If we can do that watching from the stands or from our couches, then I am sure the other teams' defenses are doing it with a much higher degree of accuracy.

And with teams stacking the box and run blitzing, it makes sense why they are getting into the backfield to tackle Shady for a loss on those long developing outside zone plays.

As far as Dennison goes, the run game and pass game have gotten worse since he took over.   And we didn't think the pass game could get worse than it was.   Since he has been here, the Bills rarely make big plays either running or passing.   Yet they did last year and the year before.    I blame him for a large percentage of that.   Unacceptable performance.  I don't think he is likely or even capable of building a dominant offense period.  Not good enough.  Just my opinion.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

Yeah I don't doubt Castillo is also largely to blame - maybe even more so than Dennison for the outside zone not working this year.

The Bills did run outside zone plays 30 times last year (less than twice per game), but did execute it very well.   They averaged 5.73 yard per carry while doing it and averaged 2.77 yards before contact.   That was fantastic.   The average NFL team got 3.84 yards per carry and 1.16 yards before contact.   The Bills were dominant running the ball every way they tried to in 2016.   But they only ran that outside zone 30 times in the season where the NFL average was 91 times.   Atlanta, who ran it very well, ran it 200 times in comparison.

I don't know how many times the Bills ran the outside zone this year.   I think it was a lot, lot more often in the first few games and a lot, lot less often more recently.   But they weren't executing it very well at any point this season if I recall correctly.    And they mostly gave up on it in the last few games to their credit.   Although Dennison did call it in the playoff game at least once that I remember and it went for negative 3 yards with Shady getting mauled in the backfield.   (similar to what happened so often this year early on when they ran it)

I think an awful lot of last year's running game success can/should be attributed to the unpredictability of the running game and the fact that we had a very good 2nd back that could sometimes outperform the starting back.    Last year you weren't sure which gap the back was going to attack or even if it was going to be a back at all.   Sometimes the QB ran it.    You weren't even sure whether they were going to run to the strong side or weak side or counter.

This year it seems like you can guess, with too much accuracy, where the point of attack is going to be.  If we can do that watching from the stands or from our couches, then I am sure the other teams' defenses are doing it with a much higher degree of accuracy.

And with teams stacking the box and run blitzing, it makes sense why they are getting into the backfield to tackle Shady for a loss on those long developing outside zone plays.

As far as Dennison goes, the run game and pass game have gotten worse since he took over.   And we didn't think the pass game could get worse than it was.   Since he has been here, the Bills rarely make big plays either running or passing.   Yet they did last year and the year before.    I blame him for a large percentage of that.   Unacceptable performance.  I don't think he is likely or even capable of building a dominant offense period.  Not good enough.  Just my opinion.

Great post. Great point on the unpredictability of the run game. I hope we get a coach in here who mixes things up in the run game and opens things up in the passing game. Dennison definitely needs to go. One of the things that I found interesting is how great the script was for opening offensive possessions. I think that shows that he is a good coach but a terrible play caller. Once the script was up it seemed like he had no idea what he was doing.  I think you could keep him on as a senior offensive assistant and hire someone else. Chudzinski, Mike McCoy, Ken Dorsey, I'll take any of the three. 

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, Reader said:

I don't know enough about football to know exactly how much of our problems are Dennison and how much are Tyrod. To have Romo pointing out open receiver after open receiver suggests Dennison might be better than he seems.

I know football and I know that Dennison was very limited with the production he could get out of his offense because his QB was extremely limited. I'm willing to bet from week 1 to the playoff game Tyrod Taylor left hundreds of receivers wide open in passing situations because of his inability to quickly go through his progressions. He never threw receivers open and for that matter overthrew or under threw so many targets it would make any Offense suck. To be honest I'm amazed how much production we got when 2/3's of the plays in the playbook were thrown out. Give Dennison a real QB and a full season then I'll give an opinion ( I also think some of the seemingly boneheaded calls are because Rico had no faith in Taylor).

Edited by BeefCurtns
  • Like (+1) 1

I'd like to see a clean break from Dennison now, rather than realizing later it wasn't just the QB.  It's the perfect time, since we should be changing QBs.  But if they don't for some reason, I think McD has built up enough credit from this season that I will reluctantly trust that decision.

20 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

If they retained Dennison then I wouldn't buy tickets unless they signed Kirk Cousins.

I would be quite happy to try Dennison and Kirk Cousins providing they upgrade on OL and at WR

12 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I didn't like the decision to pass whoever made it. But the guy that botched it entirely was Kelvin. Flagrantly shoving that DB like that is gonna get called every time. Even Tony Romo pointed it out.  Everyone knows if Tony points out a mistake it's the real deal.

LOL Romo was even giving him coaching advice how to push off more subtlely and get away with it.

3 hours ago, berg1029 said:

I'd like to see a clean break from Dennison now, rather than realizing later it wasn't just the QB.  It's the perfect time, since we should be changing QBs.  But if they don't for some reason, I think McD has built up enough credit from this season that I will reluctantly trust that decision.

That's where I'm at. I'm thinking his job is safe, plenty of coordinators around the league have been let go so with no word on Dennison I have to assume he is back. Lets see what he doss with a new QB and another year running the same system. I guess I can't fault McDermott for this decision in a playoff year but the offense didn't really contribute to our success this year. And we regressed pretty much everywhere compared to last year.

The scheme is not the issue. Play calling could have been better at times, but that's how you learn. People need to keep in mind this was Dennison's first year calling an offense. It should improve with experience. The OL and a ultra-conservative QB were the issues with this offense.

11 hours ago, Mike in Syracuse said:

I don't believe Hacket was ever Tyrod's OC.    Statistically Tyrod has his best year under Roman's 1st year.

speaking more to the turnover rate. Rex brought in Tyrod, Roman was the OC.

apologise to ya Mike.

Thanks for the clarification !!

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

That's where I'm at. I'm thinking his job is safe, plenty of coordinators around the league have been let go so with no word on Dennison I have to assume he is back. Lets see what he doss with a new QB and another year running the same system. I guess I can't fault McDermott for this decision in a playoff year but the offense didn't really contribute to our success this year. And we regressed pretty much everywhere compared to last year.

I think you have missed the point , that the running game has regressed due mostly to O line being hit or miss. Which might well be based upon his scheme.
 I hold Dennison and everyone under him responsible for this years regression on Offense.

it was not just Tyrod that struggled 
:beer:

5 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

The scheme is not the issue. Play calling could have been better at times, but that's how you learn. People need to keep in mind this was Dennison's first year calling an offense. It should improve with experience. The OL and a ultra-conservative QB were the issues with this offense.

aargh. how many years has he been in the league?

like to see some youth injected here.
Dennison can stay on the team as an advisor to the asst HC or something

let me try this.

who might be trying to pry Dennison away from the Bills ?

17 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

aargh. how many years has he been in the league?

Does it matter if none of those years were spent calling plays? There's nothing out there that simulates calling a game, therefore you need game experience to become accustomed to it and to hone in on what works and what doesn't in different situations. Like anything, becoming better at your craft takes time and experience.

As far as the scheme being the issue - people need to realize this is the same scheme Atlanta had last year that set scoring records. The scheme is not the issue.

On 1/9/2018 at 6:32 AM, berg1029 said:

Sean has to be smart enough to pull the plug on both of them. I don't care if it's the same day. TT is a bad QB. Dennison is a bad OC. Fans need to stop rationalizing that one depends on the other. Getting a  better pocket qb in here will not magically keep Dennison from running Tolbert on 2nd & 12....