If Dennison is brought back will you still trust the process?

Klaista2k

Dennison  

111 members have voted

1. 1. If the Bills bring back Dennison will you still trust the process?

• Yes
    • No

I'll have my standard take, the same one I took when they decided to start Peterman. I disagree with the decision, but I'm willing to see how it goes. Ultimately you have to expect some mistakes to be made along the way by a first time HC. How the HC responds to and learns from those mistakes is far more important to me than the mistakes themselves.

• Like (+1) 6

Might not 100 percent agree however i also do understand how a flawed and limited QB can affect OC ability to call plays in a game and i know this system works in the Modern NFL. Ans I have seen open WRs and very nice designed route concepts this year 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 4

I don't know enough about football to know exactly how much of our problems are Dennison and how much are Tyrod. To have Romo pointing out open receiver after open receiver suggests Dennison might be better than he seems.

• Like (+1) 4

I will be in prove it mode.

I have no doubt that Dennison's passing offense would look better with a better quarterback .

I have doubts that he is capable of improving the running game at all.     And I don't think the improvements that may come in the passing game will be enough for the Bills offense to become dominant.

And dominance is the goal in my mind.    

I say set the bar higher and go get a someone with some newer, fresher ideas on how to run an offense.

• Like (+1) 1

Dennison did ok. I'd like to see what he could do with a QB that could throw the football. 

Tyrods entire career was summed in one big play yesterday. Had zone streaking wide open on 3rd and 6 but Tyrod tries to fit in a 3 yard pass to O'Leary who had two defenders on him. Just a terrible read by Taylor. Great play call by Dennison. Think that happened way to many times throughout the year.

Edited by Kmart128

You will only "really" know what Dennison is capable of once you have a traditional QB. While it is clear that he did not try to change his scheme to fit Taylors strengths, I believe it was predetermined back in the Summer that the Bills would go with their scheme and see how the players on the bubble would fit in. They now know what they've got and what they need. I'd be willing to let it play out, although I would prefer a better offensive mind.

4 minutes ago, Reader said:

I don't know enough about football to know exactly how much of our problems are Dennison and how much are Tyrod. To have Romo pointing out open receiver after open receiver suggests Dennison might be better than he seems.

Bingo!

Also, Tyrod being an incapable starting QB and Dennison being an incompetent play-caller may not necessarily be mutually exclusive. We have seen enough of Tyrod to know that the first statement is true; I would be willing to give Dennison a shot with a competent NFL QB before running him out of town.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Reader said:

I have minor issues with Dennison regarding personnel decisions (Tolbert).. His play designs are usually pretty good but executed horribly by TT and example is the first and goal was a run pass option that TT botched entirely. Romo calls out play after play where guys are open but nothing happens - I cant judge Dennison because of this. When you have Taylor at QB and don't fully commit to molding a system that fits him it's no surprise that it has come to this. I would be open to giving Dennison a second chance to find a QB and a vet that fits what he wants to do but there has no doubt been some questionable things that he has done that would warrant not trusting the process

Most coaches (Rick Dennison included) are a product of the players they have on the field.

Dennison is a zone blocking guy, with offensive linemen that mostly fit a power blocking scheme.  His passing system is based on quick throws and anticipation, but his best quarterback holds the ball too long and likes leaving the pocket.

Yes.  This season would have gone MUCH better if Dennison would adapt the system to his players.  But in today's NFL, almost no coaches are willing to change their scheme to fit the talent.  It isn't going to happen either with Mike McCoy, Gary Kubiak, Rob Chudzinski (or any other replacement offensive coordinator) being talked about. 

Dennison isn't innovative or creative.  He isn't a genius that will outsmart the other sideline often.  But give him some zone blocking linemen and a good pocket passer, and this offense can improve dramatically.

11 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I'll have my standard take, the same one I took when they decided to start Peterman. I disagree with the decision, but I'm willing to see how it goes. Ultimately you have to expect some mistakes to be made along the way by a first time HC. How the HC responds to and learns from those mistakes is far more important to me than the mistakes themselves.

Well said!!  Probably should add "maybe" to the poll question to go along with yes and no.  I am in agreement here wtih BuffaloHokie.  So, if they don't get rid of Dennsion (I don't like it), but, will wait to see how it unfolds. 

12 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Might not 100 percent agree however i also do understand how a flawed and limited QB can affect OC ability to call plays in a game and i know this system works in the Modern NFL. Ans I have seen open WRs and very nice designed route concepts this year 

Agreed

Look he adapted and tried to make things better throughout the season, but when your QB is so limited you can’t even call an RPO at the goal line like other real NFL teams - then there are bigger issues than the OC.

For the year - even with the snow game - he got basically the same thing out of TT that the last 2 OC got.  The difference was his running attack was not as strong, but we were by far the best the last 2 years and last year was insane and not necessarily sustainable.  We were still top 10 running with his attack and just like the last 2 OC bottom 5 passing.

I think it reflects more on QB play than OC since this is 3 different OCs with the same result.

With all that said - I have no issue with trying to improve, but do not give me a retread like McCoy that keeps failing.  If you have a new young guy to try with a young QB - go for it.

7 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

Bingo!

Also, Tyrod being an incapable starting QB and Dennison being an incompetent play-caller may not necessarily be mutually exclusive. We have seen enough of Tyrod to know that the first statement is true; I would be willing to give Dennison a shot with a competent NFL QB before running him out of town.

Same here.  We can't even rate our OC of the. QB keeps missing reads.  Who knows how much Dennison held back too

Yes.  Taylor has failed to make the big play he has made in years past.  Those plays have been their as well.  Does Mcdermott have an offense he want his team to have?  If so the guy you brought in year one should be given time to continue to build the system he selected.