Watkins FA Value

Virgil

Just now, billsfan11 said:

It will be interesting to see Landry’s contract .

Who makes more, Landry or Watkins?

Landry obviously has been more productive but a team may overpay for Watkins “potential “

Not sure how much more you can wait/bank on Sammy reaching his "potential" after this past season. 

2 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

It will be interesting to see Landry’s contract .

Who makes more, Landry or Watkins?

Landry obviously has been more productive but a team may overpay for Watkins “potential “

anybody who pays more for watkins deserves what they don't get

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Not sure how much more you can wait/bank on Sammy reaching his "potential" after this past season. 

I agree for sure. Will just be interesting to see because he was drafted top 5 and some general managers may overpay for those odd flashes of brilliance 

3 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

anybody who pays more for watkins deserves what they don't get

I agree

It only takes one out of 32 teams to overpay for him.  With a lot of new young quarterbacks who coaches will be desperate to provide weapons to he may sign a longer deal and make more money than you think.  Or the Pats sign him to a one year prove it deal that they always seem to convince free agents to accept.

Well if you're the Rams you have to sign him. Right? GM answering to the owner as to why he gave up so much for a dud or decoy. Wish I had ears for that meeting. Sammy wasn't targeted tonight and when he was and couldn't make a play Chris Collinsworth railed on him. Said something like he should have turned back and put his hands out .... but didn't.

It seemed pretty legit criticism and now some GM has to decide to pay him how many millions lol. Maybe he'll come back on a home town discount.

I kid.

Just now, NoSaint said:

Its tough. Some players are near impossible to peg.

my dark horse in this: New Orleans

Impossible to peg. Incredibly he is 24 years old and won't be 25 for six months. I wouldn't doubt if someone gives him a huge contract compared to what people are predicting, without a huge signing bonus so they can get out of it after a year or two.

8 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Impossible to peg. Incredibly he is 24 years old and won't be 25 for six months. I wouldn't doubt if someone gives him a huge contract compared to what people are predicting, without a huge signing bonus so they can get out of it after a year or two.

Yup- 

its both hard to guess what offers he will see AND what he will prioritize. Highest possible average? Highest total? A safer deal with high guarantees but lower pay? Best qb? He could get a wiiiide variety of structures offered, and we likely ever truly see 1-2 and assume the rest. Some players are easy to peg but this ones a wild card.

Edited by NoSaint

29 minutes ago, beerme1 said:

Well if you're the Rams you have to sign him. Right? GM answering to the owner as to why he gave up so much for a dud or decoy. Wish I had ears for that meeting. Sammy wasn't targeted tonight and when he was and couldn't make a play

I don't see how they can bring him back for the money Watkins will most likely expect.  Woods makes a good bit of change.  And Goff loves Kupp.  Those two have a connection.  One could argue Sammy showing up in the middle of pre-season caused the lack of targets/consistent production and with a full off-season with Goff would turn into the number one guy...  

I think Watkins would be better off looking for greener pastures.  And the Rams would be better off letting him find them, although giving up Gaines and that 2nd would be a mark against the GM. I just can't see them paying Watkins and Woods because Gurley has to get extended sooner than later as well, not to mention Aaron Donald needs it right now.

SF, Baltimore, NO, Jets, Lions, KC, Dallas, AZ, Chicago, Tennessee, Houston.

The Jets have something like $100M to spend this offseason, need receivers and need to make a splash.

Miami already has Stills to run deep routes (and Tannyhill doesn’t throw deep anyhow), and NE has Cooks (although I bet BB likes Sammy more than folks here think).  

Someone will give him a monster contract, I have no doubt.  

I think he gets a 2-3 years deal for about 8AAV. He'll be overpaid at that amount, but NFL teams always think they can turn these guys around and have a superstar. 

I can't see Watkins signing a 1 year 'prove-it' deal. The risk of injury is too great and if he has a second season like this one..well, he'll be trying to make a roster somewhere.

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

SF, Baltimore, NO, Jets, Lions, KC, Dallas, AZ, Chicago, Tennessee, Houston.

The Jets have something like $100M to spend this offseason, need receivers and need to make a splash.

Miami already has Stills to run deep routes (and Tannyhill doesn’t throw deep anyhow), and NE has Cooks (although I bet BB likes Sammy more than folks here think).  

Someone will give him a monster contract, I have no doubt.  

I don't get that impression at all.

He won't go hungry and he'll have no trouble finding work, but I don't think his rep around the league warrants a big, monster contract.