Do You Give Panhandlers On Street Corners Money?

Rico

I see there’s a thread asking if you feed the birds. In a similar vein, do you give panhandlers money? I’m specifically talking about the one’s with the signs on street corners when you’re driving and waiting for the light to change. Me, if I have extra pennies, I will help them out. :)

I will, but not nearly as frequently as I used to. Nowadays it has to be someone who is older or appears to be a veteran, or appear to be truly down on their luck. There's too many in Austin that are young and able-bodied, hanging out with their dog, girlfriend, or both. I ignore them.

Not long ago I was moved by one person in particular - a disheveled, solitary man appearing to be in his sixties or so, holding a sign that said "I have nobody". That hit me pretty hard, so I gave him the only bill in my wallet: a ten dollar bill. My buddy said "he's only going to go across the street and spend it on alcohol", to which I replied "good - I hope he does".

I don’t because it feel like enabling my son when we kicked him out making him homeless. If he played by the rules he had a roof over his head, and all the food he needed. Sorry if I have a personal bias. In Nashville they give people permits to sell some kind of publication along the roadways. It’s much better than pure pan handling. I love Sarasota, FL and Chapel Hill, NC, but the homeless issue is very real. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Augie said:

I don’t because it feel like enabling my son when we kicked him out making him homeless. If he played by the rules he had a roof over his head, and all the food he needed. Sorry if I have a personal bias. In Nashville they give people permits to sell some kind of publication along the roadways. It’s much better than pure pan handling. I love Sarasota, FL and Chapel Hill, NC, but the homeless issue is very real. 

There are good arguments for both charity and against rewarding bad behavior.

17 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

There are good arguments for both charity and against rewarding bad behavior.

I agree, I’d rather give to the Salvation Army or the food kitchen as you know it will go for positive items. We are big into Catholic Charites, though I praise anyone who gives with the hope of helping people. 

rarely...only because I never have money on me, I have given gift cards...or what remains on gift cards (I keep receipts)  I've given pop tarts and other pre-packaged too, especially if they have children.  I couldn't care less what they use it for (the gift cards, if they don't have children) if they want to get a beer or something harder, who am I to judge.  All I know is I can't imagine how difficult life must be for them.

I should note, I don't give help to anyone that is aggressive, so if you are homeless and a Bills fan on this message board, please note, and I say this with peace and love, I will not give out money if you are aggressive about it.  If you come up to me in the street asking for money, I will not have my wallet with me, however if you have a nice passive sign and I have something to give, you'll have a better chance.

I never give anything. I always think it's a scam. That's because lots of times it is. The only nagging thought in the back of my head is what if it's a messed up veteran? If I only knew for sure I would give . I guess a viable option would offer to go buy them food to eat instead of giving money.

• Like (+1) 1

I used to. Worked in DC and was going to work and a man had sign "Hungry. Need money for food." so I gave him the lunch I just bought.  He threw it on the ground and said I want money for liquor and that was the last time I gave anything.  Charities I will give unless I find the charities are just selling donations at bulk to companies which sell them in shops.