Do You Give Panhandlers On Street Corners Money?

Rico

9 hours ago, unbillievable said:

I've done it once in my life.

The guy was holding a sign asking for beer money.

Truth in advertising pays off! 

There was a young guy who used to panhandle near my office. I had to drive by him every day. He was maybe 18-20 and pulled his hoodie down to make him hard to see. I’m sure he was ashamed of what he was doing, but I went past him so many times it burned an image in my mind. I was particularly sensitive I suppose. I knew the face instantly when he made the news. He tried to rob a nearby drug store - going for pills. He opted for death by cop. I never even knew his name, but it hurt me deeply. 

• Sad 1

On 1/6/2018 at 10:18 PM, DC Tom said:

No.  But I will buy them a meal, and have been known to give them sweaters and blankets.

With smallpox on it?  I can see you doing that.

:P

Oh... BTW... Not a panhandler, but leaving work a few nights ago... It was below 0, a guy was pushing his car (a rather POS vehicle I do say) out of gas.  I went back into work and we gave him 2 gallons of fuel to get to the gas station.  I hope he used it wisely.  The guy had desperation in his eyes.  Having frozen bodies on the road is such a buzzkill for the Gov't and all of us in general.

But that was all our fuel as taxpayers.  Anyway, I have been known to give what's in my pocket from time to time, $1, $5, $10, $20... But it usually depends on situation and how I am accosted by the person in "need."

9 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Used to until I handed out way more than I expected. 

Better elaborate... Or some here will do the honor for you! :D

Nope. Two reasons....

Used to date a girl that worked for one of the social services companies here in Syracuse, she told me there’s enough programs here that they could help everyone, but the panhandlers don’t want to play by the rules. 

Another friend would pass by the same person day after day with a sign asking for food. So one day when going through a drive thru she bought some extra to give to him. He takes the bag, looks in it and throws it down on the ground. Tells her that he’d rather have money. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

Nope. Two reasons....

Used to date a girl that worked for one of the social services companies here in Syracuse, she told me there’s enough programs here that they could help everyone, but the panhandlers don’t want to play by the rules. 

Another friend would pass by the same person day after day with a sign asking for food. So one day when going through a drive thru she bought some extra to give to him. He takes the bag, looks in it and throws it down on the ground. Tells her that he’d rather have money. 

That happened to me in LA.  Our Regional Manager took us out to lunch one day.  I packed a lunch but now wasn't going to use it.

Homeless man asked me for any money because he was hungry.  I gave him my brown bag of lunch.  I drove off and saw him in the rear view mirror throw my lunch away.

i tend to although i know i shouldn't.  it really depends on how they're "asking" for money.  the pathetic guy who just sits there with a sign, not bothering anyone tends to get something.  if someone comes up and asks me for money, they're not getting anything.  i don't know why, but that's my system.  

have you ever had anyone get aggressive about asking for cash?  i did at the walgreens on the corner of main and north in buffalo.  some hardcore dude was hanging outside asking for money.  i told him  no, and started to walk back to my apartment.  he started to follow me, screaming about how i was wearing nice clothes, (which wasn't really the case) so he was sure i had money on me.  he started getting louder and louder and walking faster.  just so happened that a cop car drove down the same street.  the guy shut right up and turned around. 

i've also gotten into it with someone who did gas can in the hand, i ran out about a mile down the road and need help.  that was my fault though.  i was such an !@#$ to him from the get go.  in my defense, who still tries that nonsense anymore?

I do not, nor have I ever.

But I'm always torn.  I often wonder why this person is in this situation.  Are they some pedophile or rapist who can't find work?  But then I get mad at myself because, regardless why they're homeless, they do need help.

Although there is homelessness where I live, I rarely see it.  The "city," is small and I live in the neighboring town.  I only see it when I travel - usually when we go to NYC each summer.

Like others have mentioned above, I like to give to charities who have control over where the money goes.  I sit on a board for a NFP who assists homeless vets.  Even though I feel like I'm helping, I still feel badly for not giving to the panhandlers/beggars.

What's most difficult is helping make sense of it to my 14-year-old son.  He always wants to give something to them.  He knows the likelihood is that they'll not spend the money on food, which helps him understand why I don't just give them money.

Someone on here once suggested filling a backpack with little bags of chips/snacks and handing those out.  I actually like the idea, but we've never done it.  Perhaps this year.

I really haven't seen very many since I moved away from Boston.  I never gave to any up there because there's really no way of knowing whether or not you can trust them.  So many of the one's you would see regularly were so blatantly trying to take advantage of the situation, like they guy who was all over the place every single day, always sitting right next to his brand new bike.  As has been said in here, I'd much rather give to a source where you know it will be used to help someone.

There was one guy in Boston that I was very tempted to give to though.  I saw him a couple times and he was always wearing a pirate hat.  If he had gone the extra mile and played the part, I would have given him some money.  I wanted to hear tons of arrrrr's and see him going around stealing from other beggars.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I do not, nor have I ever.

But I'm always torn.  I often wonder why this person is in this situation.  Are they some pedophile or rapist who can't find work?  But then I get mad at myself because, regardless why they're homeless, they do need help.

Although there is homelessness where I live, I rarely see it.  The "city," is small and I live in the neighboring town.  I only see it when I travel - usually when we go to NYC each summer.

Like others have mentioned above, I like to give to charities who have control over where the money goes.  I sit on a board for a NFP who assists homeless vets.  Even though I feel like I'm helping, I still feel badly for not giving to the panhandlers/beggars.

What's most difficult is helping make sense of it to my 14-year-old son.  He always wants to give something to them.  He knows the likelihood is that they'll not spend the money on food, which helps him understand why I don't just give them money.

Someone on here once suggested filling a backpack with little bags of chips/snacks and handing those out.  I actually like the idea, but we've never done it.  Perhaps this year.

It's what teef said.  How they approach.

Anyway... Why I give $$$ sometimes.  I am not here to judge.  I know they won't spend it on food.  Putting caveats on things is silly... Who the heck am I? 

Riding through the ghetto a few months ago, a guy with one leg panhandled, well politely asked... I gave him a 20... I knew he was going right to the liquor store.  I sent him off with a blessing.  That 20 was burning a hole in my pocket and I would rather drop it on that guy than getting fat again at Burger King.

Yet... I am not loosy goosey all the time.  It all depends on situation.  A lot of times, I will spurn the panhandler... But then come back and meet them on my terms for safety reasons...

No big deal.  How many times in life has each one of us got lucky, got a break.

Life is too short to keep score.

3 minutes ago, shrader said:

I really haven't seen very many since I moved away from Boston.  I never gave to any up there because there's really no way of knowing whether or not you can trust them.  So many of the one's you would see regularly were so blatantly trying to take advantage of the situation, like they guy who was all over the place every single day, always sitting right next to his brand new bike.  As has been said in here, I'd much rather give to a source where you know it will be used to help someone.

There was one guy in Boston that I was very tempted to give to though.  I saw him a couple times and he was always wearing a pirate hat.  If he had gone the extra mile and played the part, I would have given him some money.  I wanted to hear tons of arrrrr's and see him going around stealing from other beggars.

I don't understand the caveats, the need to control.

The gas situation for me a few days ago... I handled safely on my terms, so I would not get a weapon pulled on me.

Personal safety, of course, has to always be in the back of your head... Especially in a diverse world.

28 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I don't understand the caveats, the need to control.

The gas situation for me a few days ago... I handled safely on my terms, so I would not get a weapon pulled on me.

Personal safety, of course, has to always be in the back of your head... Especially in a diverse world.

Safety is an interesting angle.  I'm paranoid about my wallet, so I'm definitely not taking it out on a public street.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Tell him that some of these "homeless" pull down $60k a year or more, tax free.  Because some of them really do, in DC, particularly the ones at busy street intersections.  Some of the DC suburbs require panhandling permits, just to keep the competition for busy intersections under control.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, shrader said:

Safety is an interesting angle.  I'm paranoid about my wallet, so I'm definitely not taking it out on a public street.

Exactly... Why sometimes I will double back... Safety is where I control the situation. Never show your wallet.

I will tell them no... Something like: "I use plastic."  Then if I feel they are generally not a threat or are really down on their luck... Approach them from another angle at a later time.  I may even seek later them leaving a store... LoL... Wow that blows their mind.

At Home Depot a few years ago... I didn't have jumper cables on me at time.  I bought a set to help a guy... Then gave him the cables.

One time a kid stepped between me and gas pump.  I told him to back off.  After coming back from cashier, I gave him a buck and lectured him that he needs to get better at this.  You make people feel unsafe, good luck things going smoothly. :lol:

The one's that generally think about your personal safety and their safety are usually the ones having a hard time, down on their luck.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I used to but not anymore. As already stated some of them aren't appreciative even when you do throw them some change.

I used to live in the hood and I caught on quick to how some of these people work, or rather don't work.

Edited by FappyTheClown

7 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Tell him that some of these "homeless" pull down $60k a year or more, tax free.  Because some of them really do, in DC, particularly the ones at busy street intersections.  Some of the DC suburbs require panhandling permits, just to keep the competition for busy intersections under control.

Yeah... Why I never give money to people panhandling for change in the middle of an intersection.  I here those fireman and cops holding out the boot nail down a nice wage.

I am gonna panhandle boaters when they come through the lock... The "Poor Lockman Widows & Orphans Fund"... Asian carp are one tough hombre! We got it rough counting those bastages! :D

That is the one thing that is peeve... The legal panhandling... Organizations getting into the act.

Yeah... Somebody wearing a safety vest, holding a fire boot at an intersection on a Saturday morning.  Huh?  At least the bum will do my windshield... Of course after he throws dirt on it! <_<

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

That happened to me in LA.  Our Regional Manager took us out to lunch one day.  I packed a lunch but now wasn't going to use it.

Homeless man asked me for any money because he was hungry.  I gave him my brown bag of lunch.  I drove off and saw him in the rear view mirror throw my lunch away.

That's because they're making money, not food.

You sit at a busy street corner and watch successful panhandlers: they're getting at least one, probably two donations every five minutes. Depending on clientele and location, you can assume a 75 cent average per donation, so if they're doing 16 donations (and they easily can) that works out to around $12/hr. Only real variable is weather.

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

That's because they're making money, not food.

You sit at a busy street corner and watch successful panhandlers: they're getting at least one, probably two donations every five minutes. Depending on clientele and location, you can assume a 75 cent average per donation, so if they're doing 16 donations (and they easily can) that works out to around $12/hr. Only real variable is weather.

And the Pegulas only pay $11 to shovel snow.  We'll never get Cousins.

• Haha (+1) 2