An Offseason That Takes Us To The Next Level

H2o

I appreciate these.......they are good to consider.

I don't expect that many high dollar free agents and I think they will probably go with the guards they have or draft one.

What they need to find that you didn't address is some legit pass rush on the cheap.

Interested to see if they take a look at Kony Ealy........been playing linebacker with the Jets and should be a bargain basket FA but has special pass rusher traits as a DE if he ever puts it together.

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Cousins

re sign Gaines

draft a few Dlineman

bring back Thompson

move on from P Brown and Alexander 

trade Glenn or move him to RT

Yep. 

All but Cousins. It won’t happen.

Gaines, Absolutely- I wouldn’t pay him more than $6M per I’d prefer $5M.

I want Allen Robinson, Jeff Janis (should get less than Hogan($4M), $2-3M per Maybe) and Thompson in FA, don’t even worry about WR in the draft.

Kelvin Benjamin 

Allen Robinson (replaces Matthews)

Zay Jones (Slot)

Jeff Janis (replaces Holmes, great ST)

Thompson

Cordy needs to be healthy or just cut your losses. Nobody knows what’s really going on with him which is worse. I think he could be done.

Preston Brown is not a McD type LB, he did his best and played decent all year. But the tape shows at times he’s a liability in coverage, a little slow.

Im curious to see what Leighton Vander Esch from Boise St runs at the combine, Mountain West Defensive Player of the year, 6’4” 240.

And Would love Nwosu from USC to replace Lorax at OLB.

19 minutes ago, McBean said:

I’ve said it 100 times and I’ll say it again, if somehow someway we can get Kirk Cousins, it would be light years the best QB the Bills have had since Jim Kelly.

It really is our best option.

My only question is, when the bidding war begins, where do you draw the line? The QB contracts shoot up like health care vs the cost of eggs. A young guy would be relatively “cheap”, but of course you have no idea what you’re really getting. 

We’re gonna sign the biggest FA on the market along with the best DT another top 5 DT and one of the best 5 cbs available?  I like the thought and if we were able to do everything you outlined, we may be a contender, but we’ll be lucky to sign star and Gaines (or his replacement).  We aren’t a destination and we likely won’t be overpaying for more than 1 or 2 players imo. 

Unless he fails are the combine, I can’t see Roquon Smith falling to us.  He’s a top 15 pick imo.  Would love him though.  

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We’re gonna sign the biggest FA on the market along with the best DT another top 5 DT and one of the best 5 cbs available?  I like the thought and if we were able to do everything you outlined, we may be a contender, but we’ll be lucky to sign star and Gaines (or his replacement).  We aren’t a destination and we likely won’t be overpaying for more than 1 or 2 players imo. 

Unless he fails are the combine, I can’t see Roquon Smith falling to us.  He’s a top 15 pick imo.  Would love him though.  

The best DT on the market? I don't see it my friend. Star has graded out poorly this year and is not going to get top tier money by any means. He is scheme friendly for us though and was solid under McDermott. I admit Roquan could very well be off the board when we pick, especially with another W tomorrow and most likely if we scrape into the playoffs. I love Scales too and don't think there is much of a dropoff between the two. If Smith is gone I take Scales and double up in the 2nd with Malik Jefferson from Texas to play the Thomas Davis position while Scales plays the Kuechley spot. 

Edited by H2o

2 hours ago, Dunkirk Don said:

H2O is using what is posted on my thread more from obd and claiming it as his own work.  Please humor him, he has a violet temper

You have no idea if they're signing him - there are other teams in the QB market.  

Look at the pot calling someone violet with your avatar.  Hypocrite! 

1 hour ago, H2o said:

It depends on where they think they're at. I don't see Star as a big $$$ guy really, but more a system friendly guy. He is rated poor by PFF (109 of the qualifiers I believe) and isn't one of the top tier FA's on the market. I actually think he is more 5-6 mill range. I think Gaines and Cousins are about right with Kirk maybe coming in around 23 annual average with a higher clip of guaranteed $$$. Gaines won't cash in like they want you to believe due to his injury history. I think all 3 guys could be had for less than 35 mill of the cap we have available, which could be well over 50 mill with a few more moves. 

Agree wholeheartedly about Star.

Kawann Short is the inside grease that makes that D line hum. Star is a good player made better playing next to Short. There is no way we should be paying him 7. We have picks and can get a comparable “Hogmolly” in the second round.

I don’t love Cousins but he would CLEARLY be the best QB we’ve had since Kelly. He is going to make some serious bank somewhere next year and the Redskins are going to look stupid..... again.

23 minutes ago, H2o said:

The best DT on the market? I don't see it my friend. Star has graded out poorly this year and is not going to get top tier money by any means. He is scheme friendly for us though and was solid under McDermott. I admit Roquan could very well be off the board when we pick, especially with another W tomorrow and most likely if we scrape into the playoffs. I love Scales too and don't think there is much of a dropoff between the two. If Smith is gone I take Scales and double up in the 2nd with Malik Jefferson from Texas to play the Thomas Davis position while Scales plays the Kuechley spot. 

Yeah I should’ve pumped the breaks on the #1 DT.  I have him as the 4th best (ahead of Ngata and Kyle due to age.  Logan, Poe and Richardson being better and all looking to get paid 10+ mill per.  If Star were to come to Buffalo, I see him getting 9+ mill per. No one gives Buffalo a discount.  I’m with you regarding LBs though.  Smith and Scales are my 1st and 2nd choice at the moment as well.  We need 2 new cats that can build into a cohesive unit with Milano.  Don’t see them drafting 2 LBs that early though.  Most likely 1 and a FA imo.  

• Like (+1) 1

I like Cousins. I was hoping to get him a few years ago when it looked like he might leave Washington, but he ended up staying. He would be a great QB to have that would allow us to compete and continue to build the team. If we sign him I doubt we'll sign any other big names. He'll require a huge contract.

2 hours ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

Stopped reading after you said to sign Cousins...

What do people have against Cousins? He is a legitimate passing QB and can absolutely win games. I am honestly curious.

4 hours ago, MJS said:

I like Cousins. I was hoping to get him a few years ago when it looked like he might leave Washington, but he ended up staying. He would be a great QB to have that would allow us to compete and continue to build the team. If we sign him I doubt we'll sign any other big names. He'll require a huge contract.

What do people have against Cousins? He is a legitimate passing QB and can absolutely win games. I am honestly curious.

I just think from all the stuff Beane has put out there, fans fill there is no way he is gonna pay Cousins $25M per.  I don’t thinks it’s that people don’t like Cousins, it’s more they know it won’t happen.

4 hours ago, MJS said:

People just have their own opinions. I am of the opinion that adding a top 10 NFL QB to the roster would be huge for two reasons. First, we would be adding an upper echelon QB who could actually win us games with his arm. Second, we keep all of our draft capital to use getting young talent on this team. I think it would be huge for the rebuild of this roster.

There are only two QB's I would want from this draft and they are Mayfield or Rosen. Mayfield is my guy. I think he is NFL ready and destined to be a franchise QB. If we don't make a trade to move up then we will not have the opportunity to get either of those guys. Then you are also using multiple picks to get one player. 

Edited by H2o

14 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Could hire you; would be worse decision than when Detroit signed a television commentator.  

No there is no one on a message board able to do better than Beane and such arguments are silly.

At one point the majority of posters preferred Bills trade their starting DE for John Skelton who is not a Practice Squad player for CFL team.

Johnny Football was a favorite for many posters to draft.

None of this is true 

13 hours ago, Virgil said:

With Gaines’ injury history, I don’t see him getting more than a “prove it” deal.  He might get 7 mil with bonus options for playing time. 

I’m surprised to read this from you. Getting 4K with his current receivers is impressive to me. He’s a consistent 5-10 rank guy IMO. 

The 25 mil he gets will feel cheap after Aaron gets his new deal as well as some of the other upcoming contracts.  

I’d give him 5 yr, 125 mil in a heartbeat and not think about the Qb situation again until that’s up. 

You're adorable 

I really don't think that Rodger's contract will affect Cousins.  I believe the market is changing.

We shall see.

Thing is, half the roster is new this year. Crazy when you think about it. But next year, a lot of vets will either be gone or will have slowed down. It's such a crapshoot if the Bills will be better, worse or about same level next year. In all probability, they will be improved in a lot of areas and really regress in others, in a way the GM and coaches can't even predict. I don't recall such volatility on the player side of things. For coaches, hell yes, but not for the players. The Bills will be quite different next year, regardless of the draft and trades. What these will decide is if the team has the tools to succeed or not. Luck will matter as much as many other factors, as even middle of the road level guys will impact one way or another.