An Offseason That Takes Us To The Next Level

H2o

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Those aren’t the cap hits though. I would think that you could get those 3 for a year one cap hit of $30M or less (and pretty easily). I’ve seen projections with the Bills over $52M. Cap space isn’t an issue.

When you add those three and then all the others he is calling for you have zero cap. Not to mention gonna have to put around 6-8 away for the rookies with all the picks we have 

26 minutes ago, Foreigner said:

Obviously did your research. Maybe apply to the Pegulas for beanes job. Couldn't do much worse.

Could hire you; would be worse decision than when Detroit signed a television commentator.  

No there is no one on a message board able to do better than Beane and such arguments are silly.

At one point the majority of posters preferred Bills trade their starting DE for John Skelton who is not a Practice Squad player for CFL team.

Johnny Football was a favorite for many posters to draft.

17 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Not enough $$$$

for all those moves 

heck Gaines market value is going to be 9M AVV

Cutting Taylor opens up another $10,000,000. I think that gives us enough to make moves and have the $ to sign picks. Depth signings usually don't cost us much either. They may still move on from Glenn as well which would free up another $3,000,000. 

Just now, H2o said:

Cutting Taylor opens up another $10,000,000. I think that gives us enough to make moves and have the $ to sign picks. Depth signings usually don't cost us much either. They may still move on from Glenn as well which would free up another $3,000,000. 

Ok move from Glenn. Now you need another OT. 

Those projections are already with Bills not picking Taylors option. 

I see maybe 1 big signing and it being Star 

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Ok move from Glenn. Now you need another OT. 

Those projections are already with Bills not picking Taylors option. 

I see maybe 1 big signing and it being Star 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2018/

Spotrac has us at just under $40,000,000 with Tyrod on the roster in 2018. There are moves that could be made to free up more $. Cutting Tyrod, moving on from Glenn, Andre Holmes being released, cutting Lorax, there are places to free up money even still if they want. You may be right as far as what they will do, but I still think this could be made to work monetarily. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

When you add those three and then all the others he is calling for you have zero cap. Not to mention gonna have to put around 6-8 away for the rookies with all the picks we have 

They could add all of those guys and still have $10M plus leftover easily. Letting JUST Tyrod go has them at like $50M. He is the biggest cap hit on the team at under $19M. The high cap hit has to do with the short terms deal. I think that you could get Star Gaines and Cousins for $30M of cap space (maybe $35m). I’m not saying that is the route that they should or shouldn’t go but the cap won’t impede them.

9 minutes ago, H2o said:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2018/

Spotrac has us at just under $40,000,000 with Tyrod on the roster in 2018. There are moves that could be made to free up more $. Cutting Tyrod, moving on from Glenn, Andre Holmes being released, cutting Lorax, there are places to free up money even still if they want. You may be right as far as what they will do, but I still think this could be made to work monetarily. 

You are always 1 step ahead H20

I see Beane and company addressing the front 7 in a meaningful way this off season.  I also believe they will go after Cousins and if they can't get him and Alex Smith is available, he he would be someone else they'd target.  I do believe that we either draft a QB with one of our first 4 picks and have him compete with Peterson to be the QB this next season or they get a proven QB via FA.

We had tons of turnover this past season, expect that trend to continue.  The defense will have anywhere from 5-7 new starters and 2-4 new starters on offense, all of which aren't currently on the roster.   

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Cousins, Star and Gaines (maybe) are going to be big checks to write. Given what Beane said at his introductory press conference about building through the draft and not signing big money FAs I wouldn’t expect us to go all out like that.

Exactly, some fans have a hard time reading between the lines. Build through the draft and keep the spending down. Beane’s goal is to hit on the next 2-3 drafts and have a bunch of talent on rookie contracts.

Why do fans think he’s gonna go out and pay Cousins $20M+ per year? 

QB will not be the position filled in FA.

7 minutes ago, Dunkirk Don said:

I was reading on another thread we were going to sign cousins. I guess it came from a reliable source

Don, this is not written in stone by the finger of God. This is a plan written by a guy on a message board who believes this would elevate his team to a contender for next season and beyond. I have my own thoughts and opinions as well my friend :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Cousins AVV gonna be between 25-28M

Star gonna be 10-12M AVV

Gaines at 9.5M AVV

those are only three were is the other cap room coming from?

With Gaines’ injury history, I don’t see him getting more than a “prove it” deal.  He might get 7 mil with bonus options for playing time. 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

No, Cousins is not Brady Big Ben or Rodgers.

He's like a better McKown brother.

Pass.

I’m surprised to read this from you. Getting 4K with his current receivers is impressive to me. He’s a consistent 5-10 rank guy IMO. 

The 25 mil he gets will feel cheap after Aaron gets his new deal as well as some of the other upcoming contracts.  

I’d give him 5 yr, 125 mil in a heartbeat and not think about the Qb situation again until that’s up. 

9 minutes ago, Dunkirk Don said:

H2O is using what is posted on my thread more from obd and claiming it as his own work.  Please humor him, he has a violet temper

You're adorable 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, H2o said:

We see the changes and how much better our team has been versus what was anticipated for this season. Most of the so called experts had us between 3 and 6 wins. I think most of us can agree we have exceeded expectations, especially in light of the fact we are in the playoff hunt for week 17. As of right now we are right at $40,000,000 under the cap. I will outline a scenario where we go from scraping to get in to contending for the AFC. 

1. Get Kirk Cousins. Kirk is an obvious upgrade over Taylor. Is he Aaron Rogers, Tom Brady, or Ben Roethlisberger? No. Do I think he is a savior? No. He is a top 10 NFL QB though and he is a proven commodity. He's had some really impressive seasons in Washington. I think he would excel in this system and be the Franchise QB we have not had since Kelly. He would surely be the best we have had since the drought. The guy can play.

2. Get Star Lotulelei and go after a 2nd DT. Cutting Taylor frees up another $10,000,000. That is more than enough to get Star and a 2nd guy like Tom Johnson or Timmy Jernigan. Star is familiar with this defense and played well in it at Carolina. He should only cost around $6,000,000 per season, with us likely being able to have a lower cap number on him than that in 2018. If we can convince Kyle to come back for another on a team friendly deal then the DT spot turns out more than solid for 2018.

3. Bring in Andrew Norwell or Joe Berger to play RG. They are both upgrades over Ducasse. 

4. Re-sign Gaines, Thompson, and Cadet. 

5. The draft: 

1a. Roquan Smith \ LB \ Georgia - This is the QB the defense needs. A sideline to sideline LB who can cover just as well as he can shed defenders to make a tackle.

1b. Connor Williams \ OT \ Texas - OL needs to be addressed. With all of the uncertainty around Glenn we take one of the top OT's with our second 1st Round pick. 

2a. Tegray Scales \ LB \ Indiana - We go back to LB with our first 2nd Round pick to complete a TOTAL transformation of our LB unit. Scales is another sideline to sideline LB who is a perfect fit for this scheme. His instincts are second to none. Smith, Scales, and Milano will quickly form one of the best groups in the NFL. 

2b. Da'Ron Payne \ DT \ Alabama - Throw him in the mix with what we will already have and the DT postion is well above what we had in 2017, especially if we get one more out of Kyle.

3. Equanimeous St. Brown \ WR \ Notre Dame - St. Brown doesn't have the big numbers others may have, but as an ND fan I can tell you he is open way more often than not. He is a big man, who is also fast, and can run quality routes. 

4. Brendan Mahon \ OG \ Penn St. - The rebuilding of the trenches continues. Mahon has been opening running lanes for Saquon Barkley the last couple years and is a solid prospect for the OL. He could eventually replace Incognito.

5a. Breeland Speaks \ DE \ Ole Miss - Speaks is a big, strong side DE who also has the athleticism to get after the QB. 

5b. Mike Weber \ RB \ Ohio St. - Weber was chosen as the successor to Elliott. His 2016 was solid, but he lost his job this year due to a hamstring injury. He still has over 600 yards, 10 TD's, and has shown the ability to catch the ball. 

Of course there will be many important depth signings along the way, but if we can have an offseason like this we would be ready to take that next step. That next step to contending with the Pats for the division and everyone for the AFC. It all hinges on if we can get Cousins or not, but I think it is more than realistic. 

Had to update because I didn't take into account the lost draft picks for KB and didn't look at an updated FA listing. :doh:

Think another pass rusher will be taken early in the draft.

33 minutes ago, Dunkirk Don said:

H2O is using what is posted on my thread more from obd and claiming it as his own work.  Please humor him, he has a violet temper

Complete :censored: idiot. No way around it. 

Don is mentally challenged. Please treat him accordingly. Everyone deserves a trophy. 

3 minutes ago, TPS said:

Think another pass rusher will be taken early in the draft.

I could see that as well. I just think the opportunity to get Smith AND Scales, if it presented itself, would be a dream come true. Scales is not really any less talented than Smith and could slide to that Thomas Davis position while having Smith play the Kuechley spot. 

Edited by H2o

2 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

That free agency is a pipe dream.  

Cousins 25+ million a year

Star 7+ million a year

Gaines projected 7+ million a year

no way that’s happening with this front office 

It depends on where they think they're at. I don't see Star as a big $$$ guy really, but more a system friendly guy. He is rated poor by PFF (109 of the qualifiers I believe) and isn't one of the top tier FA's on the market. I actually think he is more 5-6 mill range. I think Gaines and Cousins are about right with Kirk maybe coming in around 23 annual average with a higher clip of guaranteed $$$. Gaines won't cash in like they want you to believe due to his injury history. I think all 3 guys could be had for less than 35 mill of the cap we have available, which could be well over 50 mill with a few more moves. 

Gaines does have a past of Injuries. He played and is said to be a better zone CB.... it’s not like he is this all around shut down CB, leave him on an island and can count on him for 16 games.

5yr $32M 18 guaranteed Ballpark 

Hes missed a lot of games the past few years... if not, yes possibly $9M per, but that’s not even close to being the case. I don’t see him being a hot ticket in FA.

• Like (+1) 1