ESPN predicts Alex Smith as starting Bills QB in 2018.

PIZ

Bills would be better, much better IMO, with Smith under centre, assuming that he can maintain his current level of play for at least a couple more years (which I think would be a reasonable assumption). He'd also be a great mentor to Peterman and any prospect the Bills might draft in 2018. He's a UFA in 2019 so I don't know how keen he'd be about heading to Buffalo without a renegotiated deal and I don't know that the Bills would commit to that given his age. Maybe a one year rental would work for both sides but I don't know either what the Chiefs might then want in the way of picks or what the Bills would be comfortable giving up in that case.

16 hours ago, Chicharito said:

Truth be told unless this o-line gets fixed the only qb's in the league that could survive are cam newton and tyrod. They can evade the rush. Alex smith would be like a turtle on his back!

The fastest and most effective way of fixing the offensive line is to get a QB that can read a defense pre-snap, make a decision, and deliver the ball quickly and accurately to the receiver. If the ball is consistently gone in under 3 seconds, the incoming pass rush generally doesn't matter. 

Tyrod actually makes offensive lines look worse than they really are because of his shortcomings as a passer and his "wheels". Lineman are under pressure to block longer and also they are never really sure where the QB is going to be or where the play is going. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

The fastest and most effective way of fixing the offensive line is to get a QB that can read a defense pre-snap, make a decision, and deliver the ball quickly and accurately to the receiver. If the ball is consistently gone in under 3 seconds, the incoming pass rush generally doesn't matter. 

Tyrod actually makes offensive lines look worse than they really are because of his shortcomings as a passer and his "wheels". Lineman are under pressure to block longer and also they are never really sure where the QB is going to be or where the play is going. 

....can't be made any clearer than that....good show bud............

20 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

Bills would be better, much better IMO, with Smith under centre, assuming that he can maintain his current level of play for at least a couple more years (which I think would be a reasonable assumption). He'd also be a great mentor to Peterman and any prospect the Bills might draft in 2018. He's a UFA in 2019 so I don't know how keen he'd be about heading to Buffalo without a renegotiated deal and I don't know that the Bills would commit to that given his age. Maybe a one year rental would work for both sides but I don't know either what the Chiefs might then want in the way of picks or what the Bills would be comfortable giving up in that case.

I'm beginning to think this is the right thing to do.  Of course, that depends on what KC wants.

For all the people that think our 2 "later #1 picks" are some guarantee in just jumping up the draft, I say I don't think it will be that easy.

We really need a guy "like" Smith secured in FA before we get to the draft.

I for one don't want to go to the draft with only Nate Peterman on the roster.

Teams will know we need a QB and have the upper hand in dealing with us.

A lot of other teams will be wanting the same rookie QB's!

• 2 weeks later...

My ideal off-season would be getting Smith, and then spending 3/4 of our first four picks on defense front 7. Spend the fourth on a o lineman, RB, or TE. 

We have a ton of holes, try to fill a bunch rather than trade up for a QB and then get your QB in 2019. 

This team can go to the playoffs next year with Smith. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/25/2017 at 4:21 PM, Chicharito said:

Truth be told unless this o-line gets fixed the only qb's in the league that could survive are cam newton and tyrod. They can evade the rush. Alex smith would be like a turtle on his back!

I think a few subtle moves can fix this OL

Glenn REMAINS healthy for Gods sakes at LT

LG is solid with Incognito

C is solid with Wood

GET A GOSH DARN RG in the offseason

Move Dawkins to RT

This is so simple, they won't do what I said.

2 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

Looks like Chiefs will be taking offers. Would a 2nd or 3rd rd pick do it?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000903177/article/kansas-city-chiefs-open-to-trading-alex-smith-in-offseason

He's pretty good and with a number of years left. I'd say a first would do it.

37 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Alex Smith could turn this team into a powerhouse if they decide to ride with him and not trade up for a QB in the draft. If we get Smith, some good contributing FAs, and a good draft class, this team could make real noise. 

Exactly, use those draft picks and cap space to fill in the holes.

Smith: 9 win season 

341 of 505 which makes a 67.5% completion percentage. 4,402 yards, 25 TDs, 5 INTS, sacked 35 times for 207 yards. He rushed for an additional 355 yards with another TD, but lost one fumble lost.

26 Total TDs and 6 tournovers

Taylor: 9 win season 

263 of 420 which makes a 62.6% completion percentage. 
2,799 yards, 14 TDs, 4INTS, 
sacked 46 yards for 256 yards.
He rushed for an additional 427 yards with 4 TDs, but two fumbles lost. 

18 Total TD's and 6 tournovers

• Like (+1) 1

KC should keep Smith one more year. They are not a young team particularly they are a vet team. Whatever happens this year try and make a run again next year then shake his hand as he goes off to FA and hand the keys to Mahomes. 

I watched every throw from Mahomes last week. Lot to like. Still enough inconsistency for me to doubt he is winning 10 plus games for the Chiefs in 2018. Who does keeping Smith 1 more year hurt? 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

KC should keep Smith one more year. They are not a young team particularly they are a vet team. Whatever happens this year try and make a run again next year then shake his hand as he goes off to FA and hand the keys to Mahomes. 

I watched every throw from Mahomes last week. Lot to like. Still enough inconsistency for me to doubt he is winning 10 plus games for the Chiefs in 2018. Who does keeping Smith 1 more year hurt? 

Maybe it hurts the Bills.?

7 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Smith: 9 win season 

341 of 505 which makes a 67.5% completion percentage. 4,402 yards, 25 TDs, 5 INTS, sacked 35 times for 207 yards. He rushed for an additional 355 yards with another TD, but lost one fumble lost.

26 Total TDs and 6 tournovers

Taylor: 9 win season 

263 of 420 which makes a 62.6% completion percentage. 
2,799 yards, 14 TDs, 4INTS, 
sacked 46 yards for 256 yards.
He rushed for an additional 427 yards with 4 TDs, but two fumbles lost. 

18 Total TD's and 6 tournovers

Different scheme, different coordinator calling plays with different offensive personnel.