Are the Jags a serious threat to win to win the SB this year

njbuff

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

the jags defense will not let either of those teams score. do you remember what the jags did at heinz field? destroyed pitt. bortles doesn't have to beat either of them. just has to not lose the game. as long as fournette is playing. 

I can't speak for Tomlin coaching but I can tell you right now they will not let Fornette beat them. BB always takes out your best players and that's truly is their best.. make Bortles beat you and I don't think he can.

Also I see a low scoring game with a pick by Bortles deciding it making it something like  17-14 as a final.

3 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I can't speak for Tomlin coaching but I can tell you right now they will not let Fornette beat them. BB always takes out your best players and that's truly is their best.. make Bortles beat you and I don't think he can.

Also I see a low scoring game with a pick by Bortles deciding it making it something like  17-14 as a final.

if you guys had last years defense i'd pick you for certain.  this jags defense is playing on another level and will not only sack brady they will int him.  I think it will be a low scoring game but I'm gonna bet on the best defense in the league every time. Broncos, seahawks, steelers, ravens etc. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

if you guys had last years defense i'd pick you for certain.  this jags defense is playing on another level and will not only sack brady they will int him.  I think it will be a low scoring game but I'm gonna bet on the best defense in the league every time. Broncos, seahawks, steelers, ravens etc. 

It will be a great game, if it was in Jacksonville I would agree.  I point to the AFC Championship game where Brady was hit like a pinyatta by the Broncos as an example. That game was first amazing and if it wasn't for a missed extra point it was heading into OT.  I think the Broncos that year were on about the same level for D and IMO a lot better on O. 

I think more credit should probably go to Tom Coughlin than anyone. Marrone has looked up to Coughlin for years so it has to be a dream come true for him to work with him. I wouldn't be surprised if Coughlin has a fair amount of input for Marrone on how to handle certain situations. Aside from his rift with Whaley/Brandon, it also came out that Marrone did not connect very well with his players. He tried to run a pro organization like a college team. Players had a hard time respecting him because he basically wanted to treat them all like college kids. That doesn't go over well with professionals. Plus, him and Hackett created a pretty bland offense. I don't remember who it was, but it was an OL that's no longer on the team but he said all they would wanna do is run inside zone and Marrone would never make any adjustments. Maybe he's been humbled somewhat and that's why he's having some success down there but I think it'd be a different story had Watson over in Houston hadn't got hurt.

As for them being contenders... eh, with that defense, maybe, but whoever they get in the playoffs will know the best way to beat them is to get after Bortles. Pressure, hits, give him a bunch of different/disguised looks, do things to confuse him and he might be in for a long day. 

18 hours ago, njbuff said:

I don't know if they are or they aren't, but thanks to all those top five picks that they have had for years, their time table has certainly been sped up in terms of being a contender.

So, does Marrone look like a genius by kicking the Bills and the fans to the curb or is it just pure good luck?

What do you think?

They won't make it past the first round of the playoffs.  Marone's decision to take an assistant coaching position was a direct act of mutiny against the previous HC.   He knew he would get his shot and he simply lucked into a good situation by being sneaky.  They still are not that good.  They will lose their first playoff game. 

2 minutes ago, xsoldier54 said:

They won't make it past the first round of the playoffs.  Marone's decision to take an assistant coaching position was a direct act of mutiny against the previous HC.   He knew he would get his shot and he simply lucked into a good situation by being sneaky.  They still are not that good.  They will lose their first playoff game. 

Have you watched the Jags play recently?   They look very solid on both sides of the ball.  They are not a joke.  And the results from their recent games show that.

14 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Have you watched the Jags play recently?   They look very solid on both sides of the ball.  They are not a joke.  And the results from their recent games show that.

I have watched them and I stand by my prediction.  They will fold when the playoffs start.

14 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

Get over yourself.

Pegulas are bad owners now? Like you would have any clue what makes a good owner.

The packers do fine with no owner, the seahawks do fine with a software developer as an owner, the list goes on.   

"In five years when the Bills are still floundering...."   give me a break.   Khan's first five years as Jags owner his team was awful, averaging about 3 wins a year.  But you imply Pegula is no good after winning more in 2 years than Khan did his first 5.

Just go away....

Actually I do have a clue, it's called facts. And what exactly have the Pegulas done to indicate they are good pro sports owners so far? The Sabres are hands down the worst team in the NHL under their ownership. The current dreadful situation speaks for itself and I feel sorry for anybody that wastes money watching such garbage.

Also no owner with a clue would keep a clown like Russ Brandon employed. In fact they promoted this fool and gave him even more power with both the Bills and Sabres and it's no coincidence the Sabres have gotten progressively worse since Brandon's been involved.

As for the bills, there's still a very good chance they bottom out next year even if they somehow miraculously make the playoffs this season. This team is going to look completely different and we still don't know that this current regime is going to provide a long term solution and fix.

Bottom line, though the Pegulas (and Russ Brandon) are the reason we let the best head coach we've had since Wade Phillips get away.

10 hours ago, prissythecat said:

The Jaguars prevailed over the Seahawks because Seattle lost both of its star linebackers. They beat the Chargers because Los Angeles made so many mistakes. Jacksonville had just one legitimate scoring drive in that contest. The Jaguars have otherwise beaten lots of bad teams, except when they lost to the Cardinals and nearly went down to the Browns, holding just a 10-7 lead in the middle of the fourth quarter.  They're overachieving, and they're likely going to make the playoffs, but they'll lose in the postseason right away and will win just 3-4 games next year once things stop going their way.

Losses to juggernauts like the Titans, Jets, Arizona and Raiders. Soft division and schedule.  Good year for them no doubt but they are not there yet and Bortles is well, Bortles. 

Edited by billsbackto81

2 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Ya we only faced the AFC East 4 times so far. And scoring D is the only stat that means anything to me as if they keep teams under 20 the Pats win. 

That said Birtles sucks, he is beyond bad and our secondary is pretty damn good it's our LBers who are weak right now.  They are the typical Pats D bend but don't break. Which is what is needed with the lack of talent up front.

I think Jax is exactly the kind of team that can beat the Pats in the playoffs because they've got the D to stifle Brady by constantly hurrying and hitting him even if they don't actually sack him plus they have an excellent running game, and they've significantly improved their passing game because of improved QB play.  They can stop a lot of NE's offense but I'm not sure that the Pats are up to stopping them, especially their running game.

1 hour ago, xsoldier54 said:

The stench of sour grapes is strong in this one. 

11 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I think Jax is exactly the kind of team that can beat the Pats in the playoffs because they've got the D to stifle Brady by constantly hurrying and hitting him even if they don't actually sack him plus they have an excellent running game, and they've significantly improved their passing game because of improved QB play.  They can stop a lot of NE's offense but I'm not sure that the Pats are up to stopping them, especially their running game.

The stench of sour grapes is strong in this one. 

Ya I am just not. Using Bortles on the road. He may prove me wrong but I just expect him to wilt when the going gets tough. As for their D, ya that D scares me kind of hoping they face the Steelers and lose.. or better yet you guys get in and somehow pull of the upset! 

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I'm still irritated that Moroon quit and screwed us over     I hope they lose weekly 

Not sure why anybody can blame Marrone in hindsight given what we know now about the Pegulas.

And if the rumors are true they essentially chose Whaley/Brandon over Marrone. One of them is now gone and the other should have been from day one when the Pegulas assumed ownership.

3 hours ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Not sure why anybody can blame Marrone in hindsight given what we know now about the Pegulas.

And if the rumors are true they essentially chose Whaley/Brandon over Marrone. One of them is now gone and the other should have been from day one when the Pegulas assumed ownership.

Where does this crap get started?  

The Pegula's did NOT choose Whaley/ Brandon over Marrone.  They had all three of them and they were about too get Polian on board too. 

Marrrone left because he could not stand Whaley, he had an out in the contract, and the Jets job was open. 

On 12/20/2017 at 4:48 PM, kdiggz said:

not unless Bortles has some kind of Flacco type postseason where he gets on a hot streak.  but they are a QB away from winning it all.  if they somehow got Eli in the postseason then put them down as the AFC favorite

A few years ago when it was him as HC & Orton at the helm, all post season commentary said the same thing about us. It was just "the Bills are loaded with talent, have a dominant defense and are just a QB away from challenging the Patriots at the top of the Conference!" 

Then he left, Schwartz left, we got Rex, never got a QB, and the rest is history.

• Sad 1

If I were Marrone, I would have left too. Look what he had to work with. Whaley, EJ and he was going to have to fire Hackett or go down in flames with him. The fact that he is now the HC of a 10-4 team proves it. He would not be getting this opportunity now if he had stayed. He has learned from all the mistakes he made here.

On 12/20/2017 at 5:21 PM, SaviorPeterman said:

Some will laugh at this thought, but why not considering how wide open the conference is outside of New England.

In fact I've felt all along that the Jags are the single biggest threat to the Patriots this year because of their defense. And all of a sudden Bortles has been on fire the last month so you have to give St. Doug and Nate Hackett a lot of credit and if they have an offense that can score points in the playoffs look out.

Either way I would be very surprised if Marrone doesn't win coach of the year over McVay for the sole reason of salvaging Bortles career and completely turning around a Jags team that was god awful the previous few years. He's done  yeoman's work at every level and living up to the young Bill Parcells comparisons.

Also yes Marrone does look very smart in hindsight for ditching this organization even if it took him a few years to make it back to the top of the coaching food chain. He obviously had the Pegulas pegged so to speak and realized they had no business being pro sports owners. In five years when the Bills are likely still floundering and Marrone has led the Jags to at least one championship it will be another painful footnote and reminder for Bills fans.

Yeah because Khan is  The epitome of great owners.

The pegulas had some growing pains but now we poised to become an elite franchise with McDermott running the show.

On 12/20/2017 at 5:48 PM, kdiggz said:

not unless Bortles has some kind of Flacco type postseason where he gets on a hot streak.  but they are a QB away from winning it all.  if they somehow got Eli in the postseason then put them down as the AFC favorite

He is already on a hot streak.

On 12/20/2017 at 6:11 PM, Lfod said:

Serious hypothetical question. If he stayed in Buffalo would he have broken the drought by this year? I myself think he would have. I also think that's the real question to ask.

Depends on who the QB would have been.

5 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

He ran off.

As many have said he was  offered an extension but he bailed.

I resented him at the time, but with the benefit of hindsight I think he realized he was in a bad situation where he couldn't be successful. It wouldn't surprise me to find out he left because he lost a power struggle. If that's the case it appears he knew what he was doing.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

They 100% are.  Elite defense and run game travels.  No one in the AFC want to play Jacksonville.

between bouye and ramsay they can shut down the pats and steelers pass atack along with sacking the qb a lot. they are built like the seahawks were.  

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

between bouye and ramsay they can shut down the pats and steelers pass atack along with sacking the qb a lot. they are built like the seahawks were.  

I dont know if Bortles will make the plays to win those games but he will have the opportunity to.  I want for nothing more than Buffalo sneaking into the playoffs and knocking the Jags out that would be fantastic.     

On 12/20/2017 at 5:11 PM, njbuff said:

I don't know if they are or they aren't, but thanks to all those top five picks that they have had for years, their time table has certainly been sped up in terms of being a contender.

So, does Marrone look like a genius by kicking the Bills and the fans to the curb or is it just pure good luck?

What do you think?

99.9% luck

Marrone quit the Bills gig because he confused effort with results. He thought he'd have his choice of HC jobs that offseason. Boy, was he wrong.

What he did well was seeing a situation in Jaguars where a talented young GM in David Caldwell building a very talented franchise and a head coach who was incompetent. He got in there and convinced the owner to dump Bradley and hire him. That was a great move on his and his agent's part.

Jaguars are the real deal because their roster is loaded. Kudos to Marrone for doing enough not to completely screw it up.

3 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I dont know if Bortles will make the plays to win those games but he will have the opportunity to.  I want for nothing more than Buffalo sneaking into the playoffs and knocking the Jags out that would be fantastic.     

bortles just has to be efficent and not lose the game. that's what wilson did in the playoffs that year.  9-18 103 yards beat saints, 16-25 215 yards 1 td beat san fran, 18-25 206 yards 2 tds beat den in sb.  let the run game dominate and the defense make plays and just don't lose the game. 

22 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

The Jaguars prevailed over the Seahawks because Seattle lost both of its star linebackers. They beat the Chargers because Los Angeles made so many mistakes. Jacksonville had just one legitimate scoring drive in that contest. The Jaguars have otherwise beaten lots of bad teams, except when they lost to the Cardinals and nearly went down to the Browns, holding just a 10-7 lead in the middle of the fourth quarter.  They're overachieving, and they're likely going to make the playoffs, but they'll lose in the postseason right away and will win just 3-4 games next year once things stop going their way.

Losses to juggernauts like the Titans, Jets, Arizona and Raiders. Soft division and schedule.  Good year for them no doubt but they are not there yet and Bortles is well, Bortles. 

When you need to make so many different  excuses for why teams lost to the Jags ,  its time to re-examine your basic premise.       The Jaguars have scored 374 points and have only given up 209 points.  That tells the story right there on why they are winning. No need to weave a complex web of explanations.

I like the bold prediction though that the Jags will just win 3-4 games next year.  Thats really laying out on the line .

3 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

When you need to make so many different  excuses for why teams lost to the Jags ,  its time to re-examine your basic premise.       The Jaguars have scored 374 points and have only given up 209 points.  That tells the story right there on why they are winning. No need to weave a complex web of explanations.

I like the bold prediction though that the Jags will just win 3-4 games next year.  Thats really laying out on the line .

i mean how many mistakes could the chargers have made? and i always love when someone makes an argument they say one side choked or made a mistake but give no credit to the other side who could have forced those errors.  he brings up a random game from way back but also doesn't mention how they slaughtered the steelers.