Zay Jones right now is a bust

Foreigner

The critics are harsh.. I put some of this on Zay, some on Tyrod, and the rest on offensive strategy. It’s hard to be out there and run routes all game and never get in a rhythm cause you only see 2-3 targets. Then after running 25 routes you finally get a ball your way and drop it, confidence gets pretty shaky. 

If this were a high volume offense that threw 40+ times a game and had a more accurate quarterback I think he would of broke out of this funk by now. This isn’t exactly a normal offense these guys play in by today’s standards. As we say with the others who are gone Zay would have much better production on a different team and more than likely would of made enough good plays to block out the bad. The “bust” label is a joke though. Good quarterbacks make receivers look great and put them in situations to make plays. That is not the bills strong suit. We’re not making a lot of adjustments at the line, we don’t take advantages of mismatches most of the time, we never seem to change the play, well run it and take a 4 yard loss with 10 guys in the box all day long instead of Tyrod audibling to a screen or fly route or anything. 

Give poor Zay a year or two before blasting the guy and running him out of town. 

Yep should of had that bomb pass didn't even go up and get it..

But I'm not giving up on him. These are things that can be corrected... But 1st impressions not great at all

Edited by ddaryl

i'm never ready to call any first year player a bust.  a lot can change.  we've seen guys right the ship after a year or two, and we've seen guys have great rookie years, only to fizzle out.  people want so bad to label as fast as they can for some reason.  

Jones has been extremely disappointing. He doesn't generate enough separation and he has shown minimal ability to catch contested passes. 

JuJu Smith-Schuster is the same type of receiver. Too bad we didn't pick him instead. He looks like a real player. 

14 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Jones has been extremely disappointing. He doesn't generate enough separation and he has shown minimal ability to catch contested passes. 

JuJu Smith-Schuster is the same type of receiver. Too bad we didn't pick him instead. He looks like a real player. 

He also has a Real QB and surrounded by elite talent all around him

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

He also has a Real QB and surrounded by elite talent all around him

Sure, but the difference is striking when you watch them play. Smith Schuster runs great routes, gets open, and is a beast after the catch.

NONE of those things can be said about Jones. He looks slow, can't separate and does nothing with the ball in his hands. 

Edited by jrober38

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

Sure, but the difference is striking when you watch them play. Smith Schuster runs great routes, gets open, and is a beast after the catch.

NONE of those things can be said about Jones. He looks slow, can't separate and does nothing with the ball in his hands. 

Power 5 school USC vs East Carolina. 

How about we give him some development time before fragging him. Or does that ONLY apply to the QB position?

19 minutes ago, rodneykm said:

Tyrod Taylor could make Dez Bryant look like a bust though. Again, I like Tyrod but he isn't exactly the worlds best passer. 

Do you think every coach with an average or worse QB just gives up on any evaluation of their receivers? There are 16 teams in the league that have no clue how good their receivers are?

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Do you think every coach with an average or worse QB just gives up on any evaluation of their receivers? There are 16 teams in the league that have no clue how good their receivers are?

I think Zay will be fine. Isn't the rule of thumb for receivers "give them 3 years to develop"? I just dont think Tyrod helps him much is all. 

10 hours ago, Foreigner said:

This game could have been put away much earlier if Zay Jones, who at one time was called our #1 WR

didn't drop a throw that was on the money.

I thought I heard the announcer on the telecast say he has been targeted 60 times this year with 25 receptions,

and for anyone targeted over 50 times this year, he has the most drops of anyone in the NFL. That is 

pathetic for a 2nd round pick #37 in the 2017 draft.

You can talk all you want about Watkins, Woods or Goodwin, but they all have been more productive. 

There's no doubt that Zay Jones has had a rough rookie season.  On the other hand, on better teams, rookie wide receivers have the #1 role only if they earn it with their play and bump someone else down the depth chart.  They aren't thrust into that position, with no continuity in the WR room and little veteran support.

26 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Power 5 school USC vs East Carolina. 

How about we give him some development time before fragging him. Or does that ONLY apply to the QB position?

Route running or awareness I could say sure let's see how he develops. But the guy just isn't catching the ball. He doesn't have one skill to build upon. I know Bills fans like to pretend all rookies suck but usually if you look as bad as Zay has you won't amount to anything. I can't think of one signature play he's had all year and that isn't for lack of targets. Maybe the TD against the Jets where he ran a good route? If he becomes a JAG it will be an upset.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Route running or awareness I could say sure let's see how he develops. But the guy just isn't catching the ball. He doesn't have one skill to build upon. I know Bills fans like to pretend all rookies suck but usually if you look as bad as Zay has you won't amount to anything. I can't think of one signature play he's had all year and that isn't for lack of targets. Maybe the TD against the Jets where he ran a good route? If he becomes a JAG it will be an upset.

He has two drops. Two. Lets not make it out like he cant catch a cold. 

Now i do admit that i am concerned about making contested catches. Those have to come and i also think that is something that can be worked on. 

Get out of his own head. See Nelson Angholer (sp)