Still a lot of hating on McDermott after a win...

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

If they had some more reliable WRs and TT was known for hitting quick short passes, then yes. It's just about the odds of getting a couple first downs vs forcing KC to use their timeouts. 

My problem with the strategy is that even by making KC burn their all timeouts, the Bills still gave the ball back with more than enough time for KC to go down the field and score.  If they could have taken the clock down to a minute left, I'd be OK with three straight runs there.  As it turned out, KC didn't run out of time; Smith just threw a pick...    

I dont think people hate McD. I think fans expectations may be a little high at this point. The Bills made some moves that ruffled the feathers of some fans to build for the future. Some fans understand it, others dont want to wait for a rebuild. Right now everyone is thinking about how the Bills can sneak their way into the playoffs. The offense is terrible and will get wiped out if they make the playoffs. 

Just now, mannc said:

My problem with the strategy is that even by making KC burn their all timeouts, the Bills still gave the ball back with more than enough time for KC to go down the field and score.  If they could have taken the clock down to a minute left, I'd be OK with three straight runs there.  As it turned out, KC didn't run out of time; Smith just threw a pick...    

Right. At least they burned the timeouts though. They just have little faith in Tyrod to be decisive and they have no quick game that most teams would go to in that situation. It was still more than enough time probably , but the chances of Tyrod stopping the clock for free with incompletions was probably too great. It's a tough spot to be in with a limited QB. I still hated the play calls themselves , as they were basic as could be and utilized none of what Taylor can do well. 

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I thought McDermott and Frazier did a nice job yesterday. I thought Dennison was atrocious. Overall, a good team win, on the road, in a tough environment. That’s one we should feel good about.

That is how I saw it, although I put part of Dennison's blame on McDermott for being overly conservative himself and not insisting we do more of what TT does well and less of what TT does poorly.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

I dont think people hate McD. I think fans expectations may be a little high at this point. The Bills made some moves that ruffled the feathers of some fans to build for the future. Some fans understand it, others dont want to wait for a rebuild. Right now everyone is thinking about how the Bills can sneak their way into the playoffs. The offense is terrible and will get wiped out if they make the playoffs. 

I don’t know about that last part. They will play Titans, Jags, Chiefs or Chargers in round 1. Those teams are all flawed and not the least bit intimidating. I don’t believe that the Bills are real contenders but to act like they will get wiped out in one of those games is misguided.

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That is how I saw it, although I put part of Dennison's blame on McDermott for being overly conservative himself and not insisting we do more of what TT does well and less of what TT does poorly.

He probably deserves some of the blame on that. In general though his team was pretty prepared yesterday. 

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t know about that last part. They will play Titans, Jags, Chiefs or Chargers in round 1. Those teams are all flawed and not the least bit intimidating. I don’t believe that the Bills are real contenders but to act like they will get wiped out in one of those games is misguided.

I concur. The Titans seem limited and the Jags QB doesn't scare anyone. LAC would seem the toughest of the bunch by a mile. 

I was very hard on Mcd the past few weeks but I'll tip my hat to him this week. He did a great job.

Only thing I didn't like was going very conservative at the end. They went run, run, run when all they needed was 1 first down to pretty much win the game. It worked yes, but I think he needs to have more of a killer instinct at those times. Besides that one complaint, he had the boys ready to play and pushed the right buttons

29 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

but yesterday stopped the bleeding for now so he deserves credit for having the team ready and got the win on the road.

criticize when warranted and give credit when it's due, that's my philosophy.

Never said I hated him, said he earned his doghouse. Beating KC mitigates the damage, but those losses likely cost us the playoffs. I don't expect praise for him on this board til he gets us to the playoffs

McDermott deserves at least two full years before any significant amount of praise or criticism is thrown his way. Despite the Peterman debacle, he has done well this year so far, especially given what talent has been on the field. 

The Peterman experiment was necessary after Tyrod amassed just 56 yards in 3 quarters and then Peterman was able to move the ball a little, so taking the chance on Peterman was far-fetched it was just an unfortunate necessity based on how the season has unfolded. I was all for giving him a chance, but as we saw, he isn't ready and may never be the answer for the Bills at QB, probably isn't...but, it was worth a shot given how poorly the Offense played in the weeks leading up to the Chargers game. 

As for all other things, giving Beane and his staff and entire off-season with multiple Draft picks and a fair amount of FA money, plus next year's results on the field from McD, will be a much better barometer of what the Bills have in this staff....winners or chumps.

38 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

What's going on here? Could it be the anti-agenda people having agendas after all?

:lol:

Like it or not, he had the team ready to play yesterday.

36 minutes ago, JPP said:

We dont like our coaches.....never have....never will......nothing less than a SB will do....

Head coach is a tough racket.

Pretty much the fans don't like you unless you win a superbowl.

But if you win a superbowl, then some of your own coaches and players won't like you, because they will think you got too much credit.

Pretty much you can only count on your family to like you for who you are.

Except they don't like you because you are never home and only care about football. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm completely on board with McDermott. I think he is the right coach at the right time.

But I too was frustrated with the conservativeness at the end of the game. I said before it happened, 'we're going to run three times into the middle of the line, punt, and leave KC too much time on the clock.' But, hopefully he will be more aggressive in those situations, when called upon, as he gains trust in his team and experience as a head coach. Because If we do that against the Pats, we lose that game. Maybe he was just a bit gun-shy after the last 3 games and the benching of Tyrod.

Dennison, on the other hand, I'm definitely not sold on yet. The trick pitch play didn't look like a good play even before KC blew it up and I know we don't have our short yardage back (Tolbert) but if I see them pitch it 7 to 9 yards behind the line of scrimmage to Shady on another 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2 play, I may throw my TV out the window.

Still, it was a good team win and keeps hopes alive for a bit longer.

Edited by folz

35 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

TT is the ULTIMATE play not to lose QB.

I used to believe this was the case but anymore I think TT’s deficiencies are such that the coaching staff spends an inordinate amount of time having to figure out how to overcome his lack of production.  This is done at the expense of game planning to figure out how to defeat the opponent.  The difference is perhaps subtle but the toolbox is so empty it is like the coaching staff is having to figure out how to put an engine together with only a screwdriver, crescent wrench and hammer.

Starting Nathan Peterman was a desperate act in the hopes that he offered at least a socket set to add to the mix.  We all know how that turned out.

51 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

What's going on here? Could it be the anti-agenda people having agendas after all?

:lol:

Like it or not, he had the team ready to play yesterday.

I literally haven't seen a single 'negative' post about McDermott since the win...

37 minutes ago, JPP said:

Do not consider a big part of his play is coordinated by Dennison??  Dennison is as conservative as you can get in an OC...

Dennison is a huge problem.  This offense was putting up points last year, now it's surprising when we get more than one TD a game.  

12 minutes ago, folz said:

I'm completely on board with McDermott. I think he is the right coach at the right time.

But I too was frustrated with the conservativeness at the end of the game. I said before it happened, 'we're going to run three times into the middle of the line, punt, and leave KC too much time on the clock.' But, hopefully he will be more aggressive in those situations, when called upon, as he gains trust in his team and experience as a head coach. Because If we do that against the Pats, we lose that game. Maybe he was just a bit gun-shy after the last 3 games and the benching of Tyrod.

Dennison, on the other hand, I'm definitely not sold on yet. The trick pitch play didn't look like a good play even before KC blew it up and I know we don't have our short yardage back (Tolbert) but if I see them pitch it 7 to 9 yards behind the line of scrimmage to Shady on another 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2 play, I may throw my TV out the window.

Still, it was a good team win and keeps hopes alive for a bit longer.

The offense is terrible. Why does anyone blame McDermott for not trusting the offense?

54 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Not a very good one. Unless you are a Tyrod fanboy. For realists , it was worth a try to improve the moribund passing game. Any team has a shot to win any game, but what percentage? You have to look at the matchup, and it was a really bad one. 

For "realists" maybe its worth trying to cure cancer with healthy doses of strychnine? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mannc said:

I'm not quite sure what you're talking about, but a lot of people weren't too happy with the playcalling on the last possession--no effort to even make a first down, much less score.  Yes, we won, but a lot of folks are tired of play-not-to-lose Jauronball and recognize that it will at some point cost us a game.  And it's boring.    

Simply and well said.

Another reason I liked us finally blitzing yesterday as it seems less Jauron Ball (trying not lose vs trying to win).