2018 Senior Bowl

YoloinOhio

25 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

The NFL never learns.  No matter how big or athletic someone is, bad quarterbacks dont turn into good quarterbacks over time and no amount of sitting or coaching changes that.  Josh Allen is who Josh allen is, and thats a long shot project.   It will be a wasted pick if the Bills draft him in the 1st.

That is a really dumb statement.

The greatest quarterback of all time would have been considered bad coming out of college.

1 hour ago, LEBills said:

I’m an Allen apologist because I think he has some amazing abilities and I think he is a great kid that has a lot of ability to improve - even in the accuracy department. But you are right, he shouldn’t be drafted early based on the QB he is right now. Unfortunately, he is going to be drafted early based on the QB he could be. And if he goes to a really bad team, it could end really bad for him. 

Guys with major accuracy issues like his literally never succeed in the NFL.

I watched the Senior Bowl all afternoon and this guy literally has some of the worst accuracy I've ever seen. He just sprays the ball all over the place chucking it as hard as he can. 

Edited by jrober38

11 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I watched the Senior Bowl all afternoon and this guy literally has some of the worst accuracy I've ever seen. He just sprays the ball all over the place chucking it as hard as he can. 

However, it never fails, someone will think they can fix this.  

1 minute ago, NewEraBills said:

However, it never fails, someone will think they can fix this.  

Yup. And they'll be without a job in the NFL in 1-2 years. 

I don't get how Mike Mayock falls in love with these guys year after year. I know people respect his opinion on QBs, but the guy gets so wrapped up in how far a guy can throw it and how big and strong he is. He never puts emphasis on whether or not the guy he's discussing is actually good at the game of football. 

Edited by jrober38

32 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Look up his history. He is maybe the least developed major QB prospect of the modern era. He didn’t attend QB camps all his life, just really started focusing on football. That is why I think he can improve with some good coaching because a lot of the accuracy issues comes from his feet.

In HS, he went to a small school and played multiple sports all year. Spent one year at Junior College and then transferred to Wyoming and spent a couple years under Coach Bohl. Bohl is not a good QB developer, Carson Wentz still has issues with his footwork this year. Again, I agree with you that some team is probably going to ruin him but I don’t think his accuracy is incurable if he finds the right environment.

1 hour ago, Ittakestime said:

That is a really dumb statement.

The greatest quarterback of all time would have been considered bad coming out of college.

Disgaree.  Brady had two ok seasons at Michigan.  Had he been a three or four year starter he may have been drafted higher.  

Josh Allen is a three year starter who aside from being big and likeable checks no other boxes.  He doesnt win games, he doesnt throw for many yards, gives the ball away like its going out of business and is sub 60% completion percentage.

It is hubris that makes teams like him.  Its the same thing that got the Jets Christian Hackenberg.

Edited by thenorthremembers

22 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Disgaree.  Brady had two ok seasons at Michigan.  Had he been a three or four year starter he may have been drafted higher.  

Josh Allen is a three year starter who aside from being big and likeable checks no other boxes.  He doesnt win games, he doesnt throw for many yards, gives the ball away like its going out of business and is sub 60% completion percentage.

It is hubris that makes teams like him.  Its the same thing that got the Jets Christian Hackenberg.

Allen started for 2 years at Wyoming, unless your counting his year at JUCO.

He also has led the Cowboys to the winningest two years since 98 and 99.

He threw for more yards than Carson Wentz did over the same amount of time while operating in the same offense.

He improved his interception percentage greatly from sophomore to junior years.

He is sub 60% for his career.

You may eventually be vindicated if his pro career flops but their are a lot of reasons to like Allen as a prospect.

1 hour ago, PIZ said:

I don't know.  Looks better than anyone we've had in a while.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap3000000910273/Josh-Allen-practice-highlights-Senior-Bowl-Day-2

His arm pops down the field but he consistently misses short routine throws.

every ball is a fastball... he really hasn't leaned about touch yet which is tough to learn especially if you really lack it at the NFL level

but on the run and downfield he has a howitzer 

8 hours ago, LEBills said:

Allen started for 2 years at Wyoming, unless your counting his year at JUCO.

He also has led the Cowboys to the winningest two years since 98 and 99.

He threw for more yards than Carson Wentz did over the same amount of time while operating in the same offense.

He improved his interception percentage greatly from sophomore to junior years.

He is sub 60% for his career.

You may eventually be vindicated if his pro career flops but their are a lot of reasons to like Allen as a prospect.

Its not relegated to his stats.  Watch the game film of him against Nebraska last year.  One of the more epic meltdowns Ive watched.  Point here is because he is big and has a cannon experts will watch that same tape and tell you "he did some good things considering the talent around him" they are dying for him to be good.

I agree with the arm talent but if I am drafting a guy who cant contribute even when forced into action I wouldnt touch him until the 4th round.

Edited by thenorthremembers

43 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Its not relegated to his stats.  Watch the game film of him against Nebraska last year.  One of the more epic meltdowns Ive watched.  Point here is because he is big and has a cannon experts will watch that same tape and tell you "he did some good things considering the talent around him" they are dying for him to be good.

I agree with the arm talent but if I am drafting a guy who cant contribute even when forced into action I wouldnt touch him until the 4th round.

That’s fine if it’s more about the film for you. He does have a lot of ugly tape. I just wanted to mythbust some of the reasons you gave before.

As far as the Nebraska game goes, it was his first ever road start in college. I don’t hold that against him as much, that’s a game a lot of QBs struggle in. I’d say his worst game was the Oregon game this year. 

And I agree it would ultimately be better if he went later. Unfortunately, you have to take the raw tools into consideration bc they are a factor. But yes, some team will draft him very early almost entirely based on his physical gifts.

2018 Senior Bowl: Wednesday Rumor Mill      By Charlie Campbell 

In speaking with a few general managers and sources at other teams, including some directors of college scouting, they all felt that there would probably be three quarterbacks who are chosen in the top 10 picks of the 2018 NFL Draft. Those three signal-callers are UCLA's Josh Rosen, USC's Sam Darnold, and Wyoming's Josh Allen.

After that trio, they thought two more quarterbacks would go in the first round, with those being Louisville's Lamar Jackson and Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield. They expect Jackson and Mayfield to be mid-to-late first-rounders.

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2018rumors3.php#e6Mh4xhRsh1lWuX0.99

22 minutes ago, ALF said:

In speaking with a few general managers and sources at other teams, including some directors of college scouting, they all felt that there would probably be three quarterbacks who are chosen in the top 10 picks of the 2018 NFL Draft. Those three signal-callers are UCLA's Josh Rosen, USC's Sam Darnold, and Wyoming's Josh Allen.

After that trio, they thought two more quarterbacks would go in the first round, with those being Louisville's Lamar Jackson and Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield. They expect Jackson and Mayfield to be mid-to-late first-rounders.

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2018rumors3.php#e6Mh4xhRsh1lWuX0.99

Yeah, this is how I expect it to play out as well.

12 hours ago, LEBills said:

Look up his history. He is maybe the least developed major QB prospect of the modern era. He didn’t attend QB camps all his life, just really started focusing on football. That is why I think he can improve with some good coaching because a lot of the accuracy issues comes from his feet.

In HS, he went to a small school and played multiple sports all year. Spent one year at Junior College and then transferred to Wyoming and spent a couple years under Coach Bohl. Bohl is not a good QB developer, Carson Wentz still has issues with his footwork this year. Again, I agree with you that some team is probably going to ruin him but I don’t think his accuracy is incurable if he finds the right environment.

I don't buy it. Accuracy can be refined at the NFL level, but it can't be taught from scratch. The defenders are too big, too fast, and the throwing lanes are too small.

As I've been saying, Allen shouldn't be anything more than a 4th round pick who you stash on the bench for 3-4 years. The talk of picking him in round 1, and saddling him with the expectations of being a first round pick and knowing that 1st round picks always play sooner than planned, Josh Allen is going to be a colossal disaster in the NFL. 

1 hour ago, ALF said:

This makes total sense....i think everyone has gone qb crazy and is throwing all the qbs in the first round...in actuality i think mayfield gets selected a lot lower than anticipated just because he doesn’t have the measurables....my jaw will drop if he goes in the top 10 with his height. It just doesn’t happen. With that said....if he slips out of the top 10 I would have to hope the bills think long and hard about making a trade up...at that point the cost would be plenty cheaper. This is of course assuming the bills like him which i have not heard any reports of yet.

Browns are absolutely taking a QB at #1.  Right now it would be Darnold.  Allen was right there with him before the senior bowl but i think his accuracy issues are a real concern.

I think Giants at #2 don't have to take a QB but they would be absolutely stupid not to.  When will they ever pick this high again?  Even if Eli turns things around he has at most 2 more years tops.  Get your QB now while you have a chance.

There is a 0.00% chance that the Denver Broncos don't select a QB at 5.  It will be who is left out of Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield.

There is also a very slim chance the Jets don't pick a QB.  They have a new OC and a great opportunity to pick up someone who they might have rated higher than the others.  If one of the top guys falls this could be where he goes or if things play out like I think and 3 QB's are already taken then this is where they might take a shot on Mayfield if he continues to impress.

Other teams that are QB needy are Arizona and Washington (unless they are able to lock up Cousins but I don't think they will).  They need to do something and Lamar Jackson is a great athlete who would have left college with 2 heismans if Mayfield didn't have such a great season.  I can't imagine those teams don't take a chance on him knowing that at the very least they will have a very dynamic player.

That leaves Mason Rudolph and not competing at the senior bowl is really going to hurt him to where teams are scared to pull the trigger.  He could slip but do the Bills with 2 picks and no QB and the Saints and Pats who have really old QB's pass on someone with that size and these kind of stats?  They might just because nobody is sure what he will be at the next level so it's too bad he didn't get a shot to prove people wrong at the senior bowl.

So I think there definitely will be 5 QB's taken in the 1st round and maybe even 6 depending on how desperate these teams are to get someone.  To think there will only be 3 is complete nonsense.  QB is too important of a position to overlook when you have 6 guys that could potentially be franchise players.  QB's have slipped in the past like Aaron Rodgers or Derek Carr but I think teams know that if you want a QB this is the year to do it.

18 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Browns are absolutely taking a QB at #1.  Right now it would be Darnold.  Allen was right there with him before the senior bowl but i think his accuracy issues are a real concern.

I think Giants at #2 don't have to take a QB but they would be absolutely stupid not to.  When will they ever pick this high again?  Even if Eli turns things around he has at most 2 more years tops.  Get your QB now while you have a chance.

There is a 0.00% chance that the Denver Broncos don't select a QB at 5.  It will be who is left out of Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield.

There is also a very slim chance the Jets don't pick a QB.  They have a new OC and a great opportunity to pick up someone who they might have rated higher than the others.  If one of the top guys falls this could be where he goes or if things play out like I think and 3 QB's are already taken then this is where they might take a shot on Mayfield if he continues to impress.

Other teams that are QB needy are Arizona and Washington (unless they are able to lock up Cousins but I don't think they will).  They need to do something and Lamar Jackson is a great athlete who would have left college with 2 heismans if Mayfield didn't have such a great season.  I can't imagine those teams don't take a chance on him knowing that at the very least they will have a very dynamic player.

That leaves Mason Rudolph and not competing at the senior bowl is really going to hurt him to where teams are scared to pull the trigger.  He could slip but do the Bills with 2 picks and no QB and the Saints and Pats who have really old QB's pass on someone with that size and these kind of stats?  They might just because nobody is sure what he will be at the next level so it's too bad he didn't get a shot to prove people wrong at the senior bowl.

So I think there definitely will be 5 QB's taken in the 1st round and maybe even 6 depending on how desperate these teams are to get someone.  To think there will only be 3 is complete nonsense.  QB is too important of a position to overlook when you have 6 guys that could potentially be franchise players.  QB's have slipped in the past like Aaron Rodgers or Derek Carr but I think teams know that if you want a QB this is the year to do it.

It all depends on Free Agency.  There are "decent" QB's available that some GMs may decide they can build around.  GM's love draft picks! Minny QB's, Smith, Cousins, even AJ McCaron have the potential to shake up the draft predictions.  If Cleveland gets Cousins anything could happen. If the Giants decide Mason Rudolph is a great QB option to sit behind Eli for two years, they could trade down.  Anything can happen, especially this year when there's more "average" QB's available in FA.

5 minutes ago, Acantha said:

It all depends on Free Agency.  There are "decent" QB's available that some GMs may decide they can build around.  GM's love draft picks! Minny QB's, Smith, Cousins, even AJ McCaron have the potential to shake up the draft predictions.  If Cleveland gets Cousins anything could happen. If the Giants decide Mason Rudolph is a great QB option to sit behind Eli for two years, they could trade down.  Anything can happen, especially this year when there's more "average" QB's available in FA.

that's true but knowing that there are mediocre QB's in free agency i think the smart move is to sign one and draft one.  the guy you draft will be cheaper plus he might end up being something.  it's a smart bet to diversify like that.  worst case you have a mediocre veteran to get you by.  best case you hit the jackpot with a rookie and you can cut the more expensive veteran

10 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

that's true but knowing that there are mediocre QB's in free agency i think the smart move is to sign one and draft one.  the guy you draft will be cheaper plus he might end up being something.  it's a smart bet to diversify like that.  worst case you have a mediocre veteran to get you by.  best case you hit the jackpot with a rookie and you can cut the more expensive veteran

I guess I'm looking at this from a "how does it affect the Bills" point of view.  I agree with what you're saying, so to me it's logical that if you get a guy you think you can build around in FA, you can use a lower draft pick to pick up a QB in hopes of him turning into something.  That bodes well for Buffalo who can give a team a chance to draft that guy AND another 1st rounder right after that (and likely another, possibly high, 1st rounder next year).

The move up to 10 would require a similar package as the Chiefs-Bills trade last year.  Would you do this for Baker Mayfield?:

Chiefs get #10 pick (1st).

Bills get # 27 pick (1st), #91 pick (3rd) and their first-round pick in 2018.

2 minutes ago, PIZ said:

The move up to 10 would require a similar package as the Chiefs-Bills trade last year.  Would you do this for Baker Mayfield?:

To ensure you get Baker you most likely have to make a trade with Oakland.  In that instance you'd be giving them 1st (21), 2nd (53), 3rd (94) and maybe even a conditional 7th in 2019.   Brings you down to six total picks.   I'd do it, but I am not sure the Bills front office would.  I think they can stay at home and get Mason Rudolph and another 1st round talent without having to give up any picks.

The Bills really need the Giants to take Barkley at #2, and to have either the Broncos or Jets to sign one of the bigger name free agent quarterbacks.  

14 minutes ago, PIZ said:

we have an extra 1st and an extra 2nd this year so we can offer even more without killing our draft.  that would get us up to #4 to take Rosen if the Giants pass on him.  remember that when he is in the pro bowl in 2 yrs and we still don't have a QB

4 hours ago, ALF said:

After the what happened with Josh Rosen, I'm amazed people read that site

31 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

If Allen is there at 21 I am taking him.  My QB of choice for him to work with would be Josh McCown.   He said he is coming back next year.  He wants to go to the Jets, but I really think the Jets want a upgrade there (Alex Smith or Cousins).

He won't be there at 21. The ones that might be there would be Mayfield (unlikely) and Lamar Jackson (I'm guessing a 50/50 thing).

26 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

What happened? Wats the reference here?

One of the guys on the site got into an argument with Josh Rosen on Twitter about knowing better than Josh himself whether he was going to declare for the draft. And then when it was pointed out how ridiculous he looked he just carried on arguing. It was just about the worst act of journalism I've ever seen on social media. If you find Rosen on Twitter I'm sure it's still there

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.