Nathan Peterman to Start this Week.

26CornerBlitz

1 hour ago, Maine-iac said:

I see this all the time after loses.  Kind of the anti Taylor sing song.  Fact is the guy scored points to the tune of 25ppg.  If you are calling crappy running plays and end up in 3rd and 7 or 3rd and 12 every time then it makes the passing game look much harder than it should be.  If Dennison wasn't so awful at getting the running game going any QB, Peterman included, would look like Jim Kelly all over again.  Until our coaches get their crap straight and get an effective game plan the passing will suffer.  Look at other teams.  They scheme guys open and the throws are easy.  People here are bitching because Taylor isn't throwing it into double coverage.  It shouldn't be so hard.

No one wanted Taylor to throw into double coverage, i didn't anyways.  If Taylor couldn't beat cover 2 on Sunday every team going forward would do the same thing.  The Saints ran the same style of defense/scheme on every 3rd plus 5. Every team in the NFL has and can run cover 2.  This is really basic stuff here and Taylor couldn't solve it once.  You have windows and obviously those windows were open that is why the change was made.  Call it prevent or garbage time, but Peterman faced the same look and made the right throws and hit the windows.  As complicated and exotic NFL defense can be the QB was nullified by a basic defense on Sunday.  

I felt like Sunday was the beginning of the end for Tyrod.  We know that there was a price at which McDermott was unwilling to bring him back this year. We don't know where that was between the old contract and the current contract but we know that was where McDermott started after his film study. 

Then through camp and the early weeks of the season we heard whispers through good sources that Tyrod's work ethic and professionalism had impressed them and that his game was better than they expected. That has clearly eroded slightly going back as far as the Cincinnati game where Tyrod performed poorly. But up until Sunday I had no exectation that a benching could be coming. 

Sunday was clearly the day the book closed on Tyrod ever having a chance to be this organisation's guy. 

However, I am surprised how quickly the end of the end has come. Because this is it now. Injury apart there is no way back for Tyrod in Buffalo. I thought they had two road games in a row and a chance to let the memories of the fans who booed him off the field on Sunday fade. If the Bills came out of those games 5-6 that felt like a time a change might be made...... not now. When the Giants went to Eli there was no way back to Warner. Once the Rams went to Goff it marked the end of Keenum. Both those guys sucked as rookies but there was no road back to the vet and so it is the case here too. 

It's a move which needed to be made that has been made before it needed to be. If it blows up on Peterman now then McDermott has consigned himself to a 5 or 6 win season because Tyrod is not coming back to save him.

So here we are. The beginning of the end to the end of the end within just more than 72 hours.  The fundamental decision is right.... timing is risky. 

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It's ridiculous.

Why Dennison and McD thought it was a good idea to cut out what he does well and force this system on him is beyond me as well. In fact, in games 3-4 (I cant recall right now) they started doing what a lot of us were begging for, the rollouts and naked boots and designed runs and the team was moving the ball. Then they scrapped that.

They tried a naked boot on the first play of the Jet game and it got blown up because the Jets just happened to call the right D and no one blocked a guy and then since that play they seemed to have just abandoned that idea, even though the pass blocking for straight dropbacks has been appalling.

I cannot believe they did this offense for him. Same with Benjamin. I am starting to see all of these moves and this offense geared for post Taylor. And that went against what you, I and others heard early in the season that likely Taylor was our QB this year and next. That Taylor would only be pulled if they saw him failing beyond recovery.  Not to mention as you and I discussed, Peterman had not looked impressive in camp and preseason to the coaches and was struggling in practices. 

Seems a bit premature for this decision, but the writing was ALMOST on the wall for Taylor.  Taylor just hasn't been consistent enough to be considered "the answer" going forward.  My biggest issue with him is that his lows are just so low.  For instance, the Panthers game (literally didn't move the ball the entire game till the last 2 minutes).  The Bengals game where we were gifted 3 turnovers yet only scored 16 points.  Almost every game last year where for the first half we would do literally NOTHING and then score a bunch of garbage time points at the end to make the score respectable. 

His biggest strength was always that he took care of the ball and limited turnovers.  To have this sort of overly cautious QB play be effective, everything else needs to be working- the defense, the running game, etc.  The last 2 games we have seen what happens when the defense and/or the running game aren't working.  It is possible to win with Taylor, but not consistently on a team like this that has so many issues

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Yep. But I don't think their defense is sneaky good at all; they are straight up a good defense and it's apparent when you watch them. Helluva D for Peterman to cut his teeth on. I see Dennison going ultra conservative as a result. 

I'm more concerned about our defense though, believe it or not. 

Yeah, they are a legit top 5 D. I guess I meant they're kind of like under the radar good. They don't really get the love that teams like Pitt, Jax, Sea do. Yeah, I'm worried about what Lynn can scheme up to carve up this run D as well. Really looking forward to see how they match up.

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

No one wanted Taylor to throw into double coverage, i didn't anyways.  If Taylor couldn't beat cover 2 on Sunday every team going forward would do the same thing.  The Saints ran the same style of defense/scheme on every 3rd plus 5. Every team in the NFL has and can run cover 2.  This is really basic stuff here and Taylor couldn't solve it once.  You have windows and obviously those windows were open that is why the change was made.  Call it prevent or garbage time, but Peterman faced the same look and made the right throws and hit the windows.  As complicated and exotic NFL defense can be the QB was nullified by a basic defense on Sunday.  

There's no way in hell they would have been playing cover 2 all day last year because we ran the ball down everyones throats.  It's the offense we are running now that is causing this.  It is also the reason Peterman may be a better fit.  I get that.  It also might blow up in their faces and show that Dennison just sucks.

23 minutes ago, Foxx said:

yeah, i knew about Waynes bet but you wanted to bet me first, before the season even started.

i also know that you just want the best for the Bills. however, perhaps this .... whatever you want to call it will present a learning opportunity for you in that maybe you shouldn't be so adamant in your position and not berate people as much for having an opposing point of view. 

just my 2 satoshi, take them for what they are worth.

Nothin but love here for everyone inevitably salivating to get their pound of flesh from me.

No worries.

I've rooted hard for every single QB in a Bills uniform since Kelly.

I'm a Bills homer, period.

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

This new regimes strategy has all been some what appalling.

Send young talented players packing while building around older washed up veterans and changing a good offensive scheme that doesn't fit its players talents at all. 

Makes 0 sense and is very alarming.

It makes no sense now. I can only hope they have a plan and their plan is successful.  We don't know their plan, it's not looking successful or poised to be successful at the least 

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

This new regimes strategy has all been some what appalling.

Send young talented players packing while building around older washed up veterans and changing a good offensive scheme that doesn't fit its players talents at all. 

Makes 0 sense and is very alarming.

Can you tell me what we won with that young talent?   Can you also explain to me what that young talent outside of Robert Woods who was a free agent and not a cast off is doing to light up the league?

Not alarming at all, actually pretty common sense based.

Just now, transplantbillsfan said:

Nothin but love here for everyone inevitably salivating to get their pound of flesh from me.

No worries.

I've rooted hard for every single QB in a Bills uniform since Kelly.

I'm a Bills homer, period.

You've also been dismissive to the point of insulting to people who felt this day was inevitable and were right.

Don't hide behind 'Well I'm a Bills fan'. We all are.

I’ve been a strong Tyrod supporter, but I have to say that I agree with this move.  The NFL is the ultimate results-oriented business and Tyrod was not getting it done.  It really was a team decision.  The wheels fell off the past two weeks and something had to be done to right the ship.  I give McD credit for not waiting until the season was lost to make this move; I’m not sure many coaches would have done this with a team still squarely in the playoff hunt.

We’ll see if it works.  It was pretty clear that the team wasn’t going anywhere good with Tyrod, so there’s not much downside.

3 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

There's no way in hell they would have been playing cover 2 all day last year because we ran the ball down everyones throats.  It's the offense we are running now that is causing this.  It is also the reason Peterman may be a better fit.  I get that.  It also might blow up in their faces and show that Dennison just sucks.

3rd and 7-10 plus they are not running the ball down multiple scores.  

Just now, horned dogs said:

This move is about Tyrod holding the ball and Nate throwing on time and getting it out.....

And playing in an location where he won't have home town pressure or a rowdy away crowd. 

It is a good place to start him

• Like (+1) 1