Lose out the season ?

Cygnus99

Will it be better if the Bills lose the rest of the season and be 5-11 for better draft ? 

Of course that is not going to happen . Most of us know we will have another mediocre season and end up 7-9 or 8-8 and be out of the playoffs . We are going to win meaningless games like beating the colts and the Dolphins at Miami 

unless you really have a shot at the 1-5 slots losing out won't gain the Bills much...their big problem is their drafts have just been a mismatch to the coaching schemes...hence the constant shuffling (i.e. letting go and trading) of players.

just once I wish the Bills would 1) have a coach who schemes to his players strengths and not the other way around and 2) have a competent scouting organization that is in concert with what the coaching staff is looking for

Edited by entropyrules

6 minutes ago, TPS said:

The Bills are going to save their season with a win against LAC. It will be a home game for them, and they will fix the run D.

Then KC and New England are going to happen.  :rolleyes:

Which is OK as long as the Bills beat the chargers.  

2 hours ago, entropyrules said:

unless you really have a shot at the 1-5 slots losing out won't gain the Bills much...their big problem is their drafts have just been a mismatch to the coaching schemes...hence the constant shuffling (i.e. letting go and trading) of players.

just once I wish the Bills would 1) have a coach who schemes to his players strengths and not the other way around and 2) have a competent scouting organization that is in concert with what the coaching staff is looking for

coaches and their schemes seem to be pretty much inseparable.   thats why you can't keep switching head coaches all the time.   McBeanes seem to be in synch.  

2 hours ago, Cygnus99 said:

Will it be better if the Bills lose the rest of the season and be 5-11 for better draft ? 

Of course that is not going to happen . Most of us know we will have another mediocre season and end up 7-9 or 8-8 and be out of the playoffs . We are going to win meaningless games like beating the colts and the Dolphins at Miami 

It doesn't make a difference.  The Bills have been drafting in the top 10-12 most of this century, and it hasn't made them winners.  Sometimes they've missed on their high picks, but mostly they don't keep them beyond their rookie contracts even if they're Pro Bowlers ... or maybe I should say, especially if they become Pro Bowlers.

3 hours ago, Cygnus99 said:

I’m not so sure we can beat the Dolphins 

3 hours ago, entropyrules said:

Well we at least got rid of most of the non-fits in year 1 instead of slowly phasing them out.  

10 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

should have tanked from the start.  if i was running the team we would have traded Shady for a 2nd round pick and Tyrod for a 4th back in Sept.  neither will be on this team next year anyhow

Yeah - its working out so well for cleveland...

52 minutes ago, SoTier said:

It doesn't make a difference.  The Bills have been drafting in the top 10-12 most of this century, and it hasn't made them winners.  Sometimes they've missed on their high picks, but mostly they don't keep them beyond their rookie contracts even if they're Pro Bowlers ... or maybe I should say, especially if they become Pro Bowlers.

Yup - just gotta hope we got the right guys in the building to do it right this time.

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

Yeah - its working out so well for cleveland...

they passed on Deshaun Watson.  Hue Jackson wanted him bad and they didn't pull the trigger.  Could have had Mahomes too.  Need to just grab those guys and figure it out later

3 hours ago, Cygnus99 said:

This would have been much more relevant IF they lose to Chargers.

Just now, kdiggz said:

they passed on Deshaun Watson.  Hue Jackson wanted him bad and they didn't pull the trigger.  Could have had Mahomes too.  Need to just grab those guys and figure it out later

It's more than Watson.  They have missed on like everyone in the first round in the last bunch of drafts.  

Phil Taylor 

Trent Richardson

Weeden

Mingo

Gilbert

Manziel

Shelton

3 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

If you do not have a Franchise QB, you draft a QB every year until you have a franchise QB.  "PERIOD!"

We've drafted one in 3 of the last 5 - considering you only carry 2 on the active roster that's a decent amount.  Decent chance we draft another one this year giving us 1 in each of the last 3 years.

It's more than Watson.  They have missed on like everyone in the first round in the last bunch of drafts.  

Phil Taylor 

Trent Richardson

Weeden

Mingo

Gilbert

Manziel

Shelton

that was a prior regime.  that would be like saying McBeane wiffed on Losman, Edwards, EJ.  they weren't here.  the new guys just need to pick someone.  god knows they have the picks to do so

If they lose Sunday, then it would probably be better to lose out. But we will probably end up winning against the Fins once and the Colts. 7-9. If we win Sunday, then we have a real chance at the playoffs because we can beat the Fins twice and the Colts. 

Edited by leonbus23

1 minute ago, leonbus23 said:

If they lose Sunday, then it would probably be better to lose out. But we will probably end up winning against the Fins once and the Colts. 7-9. If we win Sunday, then we have a real chance at the playoffs because we can beat the Fins twice and the Colts. 

Got a fair amount of young players as well as a fair amount of pride in the locker room.  You want to win every game.

4 hours ago, Cygnus99 said:

I would feel sad if we couldn't beat Miami.  That would show how much this team fell from a 5-2 start.  You will lose the locker room at that point.  I do feel like we have a lot on the uptick.  Just look at the Eagles last year, I feel like we are on the same trajectory.

46 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Phil Taylor 

Trent Richardson

Weeden

Mingo

Gilbert

Manziel

Shelton

We've drafted one in 3 of the last 5 - considering you only carry 2 on the active roster that's a decent amount.  Decent chance we draft another one this year giving us 1 in each of the last 3 years.

And we still have no Franchise QB, time to draft another, Rudolph or Falk would be nice. 

I cant believe people actually are responding to this.  You are a fan?  Or you just trolling? 

52 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Well we at least got rid of most of the non-fits in year 1 instead of slowly phasing them out.  

What the Bills did was shed talent and 2017 payroll, and they used the claim that they didn't "fit" McDermott's "skill set" as their excuse.  I actually heard some analyst on tv -- it might have been before/during the Thursday night fiasco against the Jests -- actually say that Woods, Watkins, and Goodwin were all gone because they didn't have the "skill set" the Bills "needed".    What "skill set" was that exactly?   Apparently Beane and McDermott don't see talent as being a need because the Bills are quickly descending into the talentless depths most recently occupied by Indy and Cleveland ... and the Jauron era Bills.

What veterans are left on the team that have any proven talent?   Shady, Glenn, Benjamin, and Clay.   Since there were so many rumors earlier first about Shady and then later about Glenn being traded, I would not at all be surprised to see them both gone before the beginning of next season, probably swapped for draft picks so that the Bills can draft their shiny new Savior QB and keep the fans excited at least until he looks awful because he has crappy coaching, no protection, and few targets.

1 minute ago, SoTier said:

What the Bills did was shed talent and 2017 payroll, and they used the claim that they didn't "fit" McDermott's "skill set" as their excuse.  I actually heard some analyst on tv -- it might have been before/during the Thursday night fiasco against the Jests -- actually say that Woods, Watkins, and Goodwin were all gone because they didn't have the "skill set" the Bills "needed".    What "skill set" was that exactly?   Apparently Beane and McDermott don't see talent as being a need because the Bills are quickly descending into the talentless depths most recently occupied by Indy and Cleveland ... and the Jauron era Bills.

What veterans are left on the team that have any proven talent?   Shady, Glenn, Benjamin, and Clay.   Since there were so many rumors earlier first about Shady and then later about Glenn being traded, I would not at all be surprised to see them both gone before the beginning of next season, probably swapped for draft picks so that the Bills can draft their shiny new Savior QB and keep the fans excited at least until he looks awful because he has crappy coaching, no protection, and few targets.

Woods and Goodwin were UFAs.  Its not like we just cut them.

Yes, losing every year is the best way to build a winning team.......Bills and Sabres are perfect examples...hoping Sabres finish last again...Buffalo sports are so much fun to watch

Woods and Goodwin were UFAs.  Its not like we just cut them.

They could have signed one of them.  They chose not to.  They also chose to let Gilmore and Gillislee walk.   Then they started holding a fire sale via trades.  They started peddling Dareus so early and often that I'm shocked that they even got a sixth rounder for him; most observers were sure that teams would just wait until they cut him in the off season.  Marrone must have really, really wanted ol' #99 ... and he'll probably blossom in Jax.  Meanwhile, the Bills have loaded up their roster with JAGs, STers, PS refugees, and some rookies.

Cleveland isn't the only team playing moneyball.

11 minutes ago, nucci said:

Yes, losing every year is the best way to build a winning team.......Bills and Sabres are perfect examples...hoping Sabres finish last again...Buffalo sports are so much fun to watch

Well, according to at least one poster, since we should be grateful that we don't live in Syria, we should be happy to continue to support perennial losers.

7 minutes ago, SoTier said:

They could have signed one of them.  They chose not to.  They also chose to let Gilmore and Gillislee walk.   Then they started holding a fire sale via trades.  They started peddling Dareus so early and often that I'm shocked that they even got a sixth rounder for him; most observers were sure that teams would just wait until they cut him in the off season.  Marrone must have really, really wanted ol' #99 ... and he'll probably blossom in Jax.  Meanwhile, the Bills have loaded up their roster with JAGs, STers, PS refugees, and some rookies.

Cleveland isn't the only team playing moneyball.

Well, according to at least one poster, since we should be grateful that we don't live in Syria, we should be happy to continue to support perennial losers.

You can't make someone sign here - and i wouldn't have given woods or goodwin those contracts based on their production here.  Gilmore didn't want to play here so it was tag or he walks.  Gillislee would've been the highest paid backup RB in the league, on a team with the highest paid starting RB in the league.  

2 hours ago, dneveu said:

Got a fair amount of young players as well as a fair amount of pride in the locker room.  You want to win every game.

I agree. Players are not going to tank. But in terms of a higher draft pick, if we lost all the rest, it would be better. So, if we lose Sunday, I will still cheer for the Bills to win every game. But in the back of my mind, I know it is better if we lose the rest. 

18 minutes ago, leonbus23 said:

I agree. Players are not going to tank. But in terms of a higher draft pick, if we lost all the rest, it would be better. So, if we lose Sunday, I will still cheer for the Bills to win every game. But in the back of my mind, I know it is better if we lose the rest. 

and please tell me when does this end? Seems this is the conversation every year....it's always next season

6 hours ago, artmalibu said:

Then KC and New England are going to happen.  :rolleyes:

Which is OK as long as the Bills beat the chargers.  

If they lose to KC and Pats, then they need to beat Dolphins 2x and Colts to ensure at least 9 wins.  The other main competitor is the Ravens who need to lose to the Pack, Lions, and Steelers to give them 8 losses. They end against Colts and Bengals.  

Holy Crap! Next time I better look at TSW before responding to a post. Peterman IN! Wow!

I have to believe one reason McD is doing it is because  it's not really going to be like a road game.  I seriously doubt he would've thrown Peterman in if it was KC.

Edited by TPS
new info