Longtime NFL Scout Says Taylor Is "Below Average QB"

BuffaloRush

So former NFL scout Greg Gabriel who is also a Western, NY went off on WGR's Nate Geary who was defending Tyrod Taylor.  Geary believes that Tyrod could be successul in a RPO offense, which makes sense.  Gabriel says he's been scouting Taylor for years and he will never be a winning quarterback.  Fortunately, he does think very highly of Peterman.  Gabriel is very outspoken and is not always right, plus there may be a reason why he's currently not employed by an NFL team, but he brings up an interesting argument:

Greg Gabriel @greggabe 7h7 hours ago
How long will it take for Sean McDermott to figure out he can’t win with Tyrod Taylor? I think the time is near. Defenses know that if you keep Taylor in the pocket he can’t find an open receiver and throw w/accuracy

Replying to @NateGearyWGR

It’s been evident to me since preseason. Everything I said would happen has. Keep Tyrod in the pocket and make him throw is the easiest way to beat Buffalo. Peterman was brought up in a full field NFL system. He makes much quicker decisions.

More

You are making excuses. Been studying this kid since he was in college. He isn’t and will never be a winning starter. He proves it every week. Sean should move on but he won’t until they are out of playoffs

Yes it will s fair. He is very limited and gets exposed by the minute. He’s no better than a backup in the league. Only playing no because they don’t have anyone better. That said I feel Peterman has way more upside.

C’Mon Nate. He would be close. Tyrod is a below avg starting QB. He struggles when kept in the pocket. He will never be a top winning QB

Edited by BuffaloRush

The Ravens wrote the book on Tyrod last season

11 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

So former NFL scout Greg Gabriel who is also a Western, NY went off on WGR's Nate Geary who was defending Tyrod Taylor.  Geary believes that Tyrod could be successul in a RPO offense, which makes sense.  Gabriel says he's been scouting Taylor for years and he will never be a winning quarterback.  Fortunately, he does think very highly of Peterman.  Gabriel is very outspoken and is not always right, plus there may be a reason why he's currently not employed by an NFL team, but he brings up an interesting argument:

Greg Gabriel @greggabe 7h7 hours ago
How long will it take for Sean McDermott to figure out he can’t win with Tyrod Taylor? I think the time is near. Defenses know that if you keep Taylor in the pocket he can’t find an open receiver and throw w/accuracy

It’s been evident to me since preseason. Everything I said would happen has. Keep Tyrod in the pocket and make him throw is the easiest way to beat Buffalo. Peterman was brought up in a full field NFL system. He makes much quicker decisions.

More

You are making excuses. Been studying this kid since he was in college. He isn’t and will never be a winning starter. He proves it every week. Sean should move on but he won’t until they are out of playoffs

Yes it will s fair. He is very limited and gets exposed by the minute. He’s no better than a backup in the league. Only playing no because they don’t have anyone better. That said I feel Peterman has way more upside.

C’Mon Nate. He would be close. Tyrod is a below avg starting QB. He struggles when kept in the pocket. He will never be a top winning QB

Thank you Greg

Everyone who wants Peterman to see the field (myself included) is on that train because we know what we have in Tyrod Taylor. And it's not good enough. For those who argue Taylor starts because coaches believe he gives the team the best chance to win, there was another QB in New England who rode the bench for over a year for the same reason. Bill Belichek thought Drew Bledsoe gave the team the best chance to win and then Mo Lewis proved him wrong. Nobody knows anything, give Peterman the reins, if he bombs, we're in position to draft high. If he succeeds, draft competition for him and thank our lucky stars.

• Like (+1) 3

According to WGR he's a franchise QB and none of us what we are talking about with Peterman. This is Lossman vs Edwards all over again. I remember Edwards rookie year and in preseason JP Lossman was struggling big time couldn't read a defense to save his life and get the ball out of his hands, but everyone remembered how great his deep ball was just like Tyrod and how he could run great just like Tyrod. JP was the superior athlete he just had to learn the game better even though he had been in the league for years at that point.

Edwards goes in and just takes what the defense gives him and starts running the offense and spreading the ball out all over the place and it was clear as day to me then and its clear as day to me now. For the system we are forcing Tyrod to be in there is no way he is going to succeed and we need a change of QB for a guy that has showed some promise and has a much higher ceiling then Tyrod as a prospect playing in this type of system.

Every objective person knows Tyrod is not good enough. You take away the run and he can’t beat you. It’s just the same thing every cycle of seasons. JP, Trent, Fitz, EJ, Tyrod etc. It just goes on and on and on. There are people on each of their bandwagons that are in to deep to turn around and who will go down with the ship. It’s obvious he’s not good enough. 90% of the people here and out there get it. The 10% that are still hanging on, will ride it down until the ship sinks. We all get it. It’s time to move on. Unfortunately it doesn’t matter what we all think. Tyrod is going to play and because of it, we are going to miss the playoffs again. It’s a shame because the league is doing all it can do to help us end the drought. It’s to bad we can’t take advantage for a change. It’s there if we want it this year but.......you know, “Bills”

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus

1 minute ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

According to WGR he's a franchise QB and none of us what we are talking about with Peterman. This is Lossman vs Edwards all over again. I remember Edwards rookie year and in preseason JP Lossman was struggling big time couldn't read a defense to save his life and get the ball out of his hands, but everyone remembered how great his deep ball was just like Tyrod and how he could run great just like Tyrod. JP was the superior athlete he just had to learn the game better even though he had been in the league for years at that point.

Edwards goes in and just takes what the defense gives him and starts running the offense and spreading the ball out all over the place and it was clear as day to me then and its clear as day to me now. For the system we are forcing Tyrod to be in there is no way he is going to succeed and we need a change of QB for a guy that has showed some promise and has a much higher ceiling then Tyrod as a prospect playing in this type of system.

The catch is in your comment about Edwards...once everyone realized that he would simply take what the defense gave him, they only gave him 1 yard outs to unathletic TE's and FB's.    Peterman's first three throws were like that - take what is given.  Fortunately, he made more plays after that which weren't "givens."

Just now, dulles said:

The catch is in your comment about Edwards...once everyone realized that he would simply take what the defense gave him, they only gave him 1 yard outs to unathletic TE's and FB's.    Peterman's first three throws were like that - take what is given.  Fortunately, he made more plays after that which weren't "givens."

Edwards if you remember correctly had his flaws especially after that Arizona game where he was knocked out. He was never the same after that, but he was more successful than JP Lossman was. I'm not saying Peterman is a franchise guy either, but it's clear he's already got more of a feel for running this offense than Tyrod does.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Gabriel does come off as a know it all sometimes, yet there could be a reason why he's never held a position higher than scouting and there could be a reason why he's unemployed.

He was at the Director Level in scouting.  He was not just some field scout....he worked his way up.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Edwards if you remember correctly had his flaws especially after that Arizona game where he was knocked out. He was never the same after that, but he was more successful than JP Lossman was. I'm not saying Peterman is a franchise guy either, but it's clear he's already got more of a feel for running this offense than Tyrod does.

I would agree with you on those points...I am just a "slow change at QB" kinda guy.  You can't go Hue Jackson on the starting QB situation without getting into trouble in a hurry. 

I do like Peterman's apparent command of the offense.  I heard that he had been working on 2-minute offense during the week.  Evidently he audibled at the line.  He threw some dangerous passes.  He threw guys open.  There was a lot to like.

Everybody always says it was the cardinals knock out that ruined Trent. It wasn’t. If you look, then next week he played one of his best games ever. It was the following game against Cleveland that he got picked off like 3 times real early on Monday night. He took shots and got picked. After that he was scared to death to throw it down field. THATS what ruined him. Not the hit IMO

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

He was at the Director Level in scouting.  He was not just some field scout....he worked his way up.

Yes but he never rose outside of scouting to a GM or Assistant GM like most of the good scouts do.   Also, why is he unemployed now and why hasn't he worked for years.  Just saying, he shares some very strong opinions on guys like Tyrod, yet he can't find a job?  Not saying he isn't credible, just pointing out the obvious

Just now, dulles said:

I would agree with you on those points...I am just a "slow change at QB" kinda guy.  You can't go Hue Jackson on the starting QB situation without getting into trouble in a hurry. 

I do like Peterman's apparent command of the offense.  I heard that he had been working on 2-minute offense during the week.  Evidently he audibled at the line.  He threw some dangerous passes.  He threw guys open.  There was a lot to like.

I hear you but a seven year vet and a 3 year starter getting benched doesn't equate to a fast change to me. What I still don't get is Tyrod is a known commoditty at this point. If you are going to have him run this offense then you have to let him loose and let him run and use his athleticism. Even in Carolina Cam was struggling and is considered a franchise guy that is getting paid and they are now having him running arond a lot the last couple of weeks because it helps their team win. Apparently the Bills would rather lose the way they want to play then win ugly by doing things that don't appeal to their system.

Just now, Rocbillsfan1 said:

I hear you but a seven year vet and a 3 year starter getting benched doesn't equate to a fast change to me. What I still don't get is Tyrod is a known commoditty at this point. If you are going to have him run this offense then you have to let him loose and let him run and use his athleticism. Even in Carolina Cam was struggling and is considered a franchise guy that is getting paid and they are now having him running arond a lot the last couple of weeks because it helps their team win. Apparently the Bills would rather lose the way they want to play then win ugly by doing things that don't appeal to their system.

I agree that it is not a fast change, but if Peterman doesn't pan out, you have egg on your face and you can't really go back to TT.  Your "Process" and every other shred of credibility is gone.  Now you have deeper issues.  With that said, I think the time is drawing near...it might not be this week, but within a month for sure.  

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Says the guy with Fitzpatrick as part of his TBD name.  :thumbsup:

If Fitz had half the physical talent as Tyrod, he would be a top 12 qb in the league. At least Fitz understood that there were receivers on the field and if you trust them

to make plays, they can move the ball. Fitz trusted his guys to much at times and just didn’t have the arm to get it there, but all things considered I would still take him any day over Tyrod. Those defenses were the problem with Gaileys team. Not fitz. And you talk about lack of WR talent? Look at the trash Fitz had to throw to. Donald Jones and T.J. Graham were #2 WRs. Tyrod had Watkins, Woods, Mathews, Benjamin, Goodwin. 

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Everybody always says it was the cardinals knock out that ruined Trent. It wasn’t. If you look, then next week he played one of his best games ever. It was the following game against Cleveland that he got picked off like 3 times real early on Monday night. He took shots and got picked. After that he was scared to death to throw it down field. THATS what ruined him. Not the hit IMO

I know I was at that game but concussions are no joke and that was a bad one. He had one anomily game the next week at home against a mediocre SD team coming from the west coast and playing at one o clock. His whole career was terrible after that and he even couldn't hold down a backup spot in the NFL for too long. He showed enough before that in his career to lead me to believe that his brain and his quickness never really came back the way it was.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

If Fitz had half the physical talent as Tyrod, he would be a top 12 qb in the league. At least Fitz understood that their were receivers on the field and if you trust them

to make plays, they can move the ball. Fitz trusted his guys to much at times and just didn’t have the arm to get it there, but all things considered I would still take him any day over Tyrod. Those defenses were the problem with Gaileys team. Not fitz. And you talk about lack of WR talent? Look at the trash Fitz had to throw to. Donald Jones and T.J. Graham were #2 WRs. Tyrod had Watkins, Woods, Mathews, Benjamin, Goodwin. 

:lol: Sure he would.  He's a choikng dog. 

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

If Fitz had half the physical talent as Tyrod, he would be a top 12 qb in the league. At least Fitz understood that their were receivers on the field and if you trust them

You forget McCoy as a RB and Clay as a TE. Tyrod has had the most weapons then any other QB in the playoff drought and he can't even crack a 300 yard passing game. SAD.

31 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Everyone who wants Peterman to see the field (myself included) is on that train because we know what we have in Tyrod Taylor. And it's not good enough. For those who argue Taylor starts because coaches believe he gives the team the best chance to win, there was another QB in New England who rode the bench for over a year for the same reason. Bill Belichek thought Drew Bledsoe gave the team the best chance to win and then Mo Lewis proved him wrong. Nobody knows anything, give Peterman the reins, if he bombs, we're in position to draft high. If he succeeds, draft competition for him and thank our lucky stars.

I jave been wanting Petterman to play since the draft. 2 years of TT showed me enough. That said I thought I mighy be wrong about TT......nope I was right.

2 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I would take Tyrod as a back up in a second.

Yes

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

If Fitz was the qb in this current West Coast offense with Benjamin, Mathews McCoy and Clay, no doubt we are going to the playoffs. I understand that’s my opinion and there is no way to prove it. I just think he fits this offense great...No pun intended 

He had a chance to take the NYJ to the playoffs in 2015.  What happened?  Peanut Butter Sandwich with Sand.......Choke!!!

14 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

If Fitz had half the physical talent as Tyrod, he would be a top 12 qb in the league. At least Fitz understood that there were receivers on the field and if you trust them

I'm looking forward to what Tyrod can (can't?) do with a real quality receiving corps. If everyone gets/stays healthy, he'll have:

- Clay: not great, but certainly a top 10 ball catching TE

- McCoy: one of the best receiving threats out of the backfield in football

- Matthews: a quality #2 receiver for several years

- Benjamin: a quality #1 receiver for several years

- Zay Jones: a highly rated rookie who showed signs of figuring out the game at the NFL level just before getting injured

It'll be no excuses time for Tyrod. These guys - or at least 1 or 2 of them every play - WILL get open. Can Tyrod find/hit them? We'll see.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He had a chance to take the NYJ to the playoffs in 2015.  What happened?  Peanut Butter Sandwich with Sand.......Choke!!!

Which year has Tyrod made it to week 17 with a chance? Or had double digit wins? Or thrown for 300 yds in regulation? Or beaten the Pats with Brady? Or gotten chances to start for multiple teams? Or made a single audible at the line? 

Tyrod is a coach killer. He teases you because of his athleticism, and he is likeable. You are always thinking if just.......I've been enticed at times, but I'm officially off the train. Actually started last year with the feeling. Time to move on before its too late.

Edited by horned dogs

37 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Gabriel does come off as a know it all sometimes, yet there could be a reason why he's never held a position higher than scouting and there could be a reason why he's unemployed.

With that take on TT, you would think any team would snap up such a savant.