Blame Dennison if You Want, But it's Not the System

H2o

It's not even so much the play calls are plain stupid (they are), they are genuinely confusing and mind-boggling. A third and 15 screen to Tolbert?? Huge bomb on 3rd and 2? What?? I think I was calling better plays on Madden 2000 in 1st grade. 

Edited by BillsEnthusiast

I don't think McDermott or Dennison think Tyrod is any good, he's simply out there to buy time for more players to be brought in while keeping some stability at the position in the short term.  It's very telling that when games are getting out of hand they keep trying to run the ball since they know Tyrod can't do the 40-50 attempts like some QB's do.  With how bad the QB position is league wide you will probably still get draft picks for Tyrod if you wanted to get rid of him in the offseason.

13 hours ago, H2o said:

The offense has struggled, but I don't believe it's Dennison or the system's fault. His system has been successful in multiple places. He learned under Shanahan and Kubiak spending time with Denver, Houston, a stop in Baltimore as a QB coach, and then back to Denver before coming here. 

The OL on the right side was never fixed. They blow up that side of the line every time. Then, because of the right side, they key on the left putting an extra defender or two. The holes for McCoy are nonexistent. The rushing game is not clicking because they can't block anyone in front of them. Terrible OL play. 

We have all seen Tyrod. Most of us knew what he was while others pounded the table for him. He is not the guy. He still exhibits the same deficiencies that he has the last two years. He's a good guy, a hard worker, by all accounts a great teammate, and a decent game manager. He will never be a guy who carries a team with his arm. Peterman should at least be given the month of December to show what he's got. If he looks good then so be it. If not, we HAVE to identify our QB in the draft then make our move. 

The WR talent is now there with Matthews, Benjamin, Jones, Thompson, Holmes, and Clay (when healthy). We have guys who have and can be productive. This again falls on the QB and the OL. The OL has to give the QB time to throw and the QB has to be able to read a defense then deliver an on time ball to the right guy. 

Dennison's system is mainly short to intermediate timing routes with some deep passes mixed in off of play action. The emphasis is on an accurate QB who gets the ball out on time. A lot of times that QB is having to throw the ball to an opening where his guy will be, not waiting until your guy is open to throw it. None of these are strengths for Taylor. If the holes get filled the system will work. 

We all got our hopes up when we won a few. Now everyone is looking for a place to lay the blame. Blame who you want, but I don't see this as Dennison's failure. He does what he can to try to cover up Tyrod's weaknesses, but with 3 years of tape it's damn near impossible. 

I believe it is partly the system. I will admit Tyrod was awful yesterday but you can't tell me that it makes sense for Dennison to be calling 2nd and 15 run plays especially to Mike Tolbert. It also seems that we run on 1st and 2nd down all the time. The offense is extremely predictable. In some ways it is the system

Edited by Buffalo03

7 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I believe it is partly the system. I will admit Tyrod was awful yesterday but you can't tell me that it makes sense for Dennison to be calling 2nd and 15 run plays especially to Mike Tolbert. It also seems that we run on 1st and 2nd down all the time. The offense is extremely predictable. In some ways it is the system

Not this again..... people need to watch the actual plays and not just perceive they know what is being called.  Over 70% pass last week, 65% this week.  We do NOT run all the time on 1st and 2nd down.  

It absolutely 100% is the system. What the heck are you saying?

We have installed a scheme that does not fit our players. People here seriously need to watch other football teams play. You guys watch the Bills then tune into SNF where its Brady, Manning, Stafford, Brees, and Carr every week. 

Watch the Seahawks, Titans, or Texans (before Watson gets hurt), those offenses are built around getting their QB on the move. The opposing defenses for two weeks straight have said they are making Tyrod be a QB - NO, that is not it, WE are making him sit in the pocket. We burned the 3-step drop, ran RPO/roll-outs from shotgun then had some success, and for some god forsaken reason, we have brought it back.

As soon as we finished our 10-15 scripted plays (where we actually looked good yesterday), we once again went to looking like a hot steaming pile of ****. This is on Rico and his inability to adjust, and it started on his shoulders when we changed our running scheme. 

You are blaming Tyrod for not being a certain type of player, but he isn't that person in the first place. Its like if the Golden State Warriors asked Steph to attack the rim on every possession. That is not what he does, he will look like trash if you ask him to do it. This is why I have been saying and asking everyone, what do you honestly see here that is different from Rex. It is the same exact thing. We are trying to fit square pegs into a round hole.

Meanwhile, the Pats defense which was multiple/complex has been simplified, and guess who is playing lights out? Stephon Gilmore and the Patriots defense...We talk about Belichick like he has a huge ego, but when it comes to his schemes, he will set them on fire, take a massive dump on them, flush them down the toilet, find them in the sewage, and bomb them - if it means he can get better production out of his guys.

EDIT: And for the love of god, the personnel favoritism by this staff makes me want to put my head through a wall. Tolbert should not be playing as much as he is still. Has he made an impact since week 1? Seriously?!? Suckasse - don't even get me started. Its embarrassing watching our O-line get dominated and one of our most improved players from last year isn't even active. Why not? Because he is not a scheme fit. When you build a scheme and try to fit your players to it (REX ALL OVER AGAIN, Jeff Fisher, Chipper Kelly), you will fail. When you build a scheme for your players, you will succeed (Chiefs, Rams, Pats).

Edited by Elite Poster

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Not this again..... people need to watch the actual plays and not just perceive they know what is being called.  Over 70% pass last week, 65% this week.  We do NOT run all the time on 1st and 2nd down.  

I'm sorry we run A LOT on 1st and second down. You also have to think, how many times of the throws that are called on 1st and 2nd do you see a screen to Shady right down the line of scrimmage. That's basically the same thing as a run play. Why do you think we have so many 2nd and 12's, 2nd and 14's and all those long second and longs constantly? It's because we usually either run on first down and get stuffed for either no gain or a loss or we throw a straight line screen to Shady out of the backfield. Then on those second and longs, how many times have we seen them call a run play to Tolbert, only to get stuffed and end in 3rd and 13. I can recall quite a few times this season where we ran it with Tolbert right up the middle on 1st and 2nd down and basically waste two plays. Every week I can sit at home and know exactly what plays we are going to run on 1st and 2nd down from my couch and majority of the time I am right. If I know that, you better believe the opposing defense does to. The offense is predictable plain and simple

Edited by Buffalo03

5 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I'm sorry we run A LOT on 1st and second down. You also have to think, how many times of the throws that are called on 1st and 2nd do you see a screen to Shady right down the line of scrimmage. That's basically the same thing as a run play. Why do you think we have so many 2nd and 12's, 2nd and 14's and all those long second and longs constantly? It's because we usually either run on first down and get stuffed for either no gain or a loss or we throw a straight line screen to Shady out of the backfield. Then on those second and longs, how many times have we seen them call a run play to Tolbert, only to get stuffed and end in 3rd and 13. I can recall quite a few times this season where we ran it with Tolbert right up the middle on 1st and 2nd down and basically waste two plays. Every week I can sit at home and know exactly what plays we are going to run on 1st and 2nd down from my couch and majority of the time I am right. If I know that, you better believe the opposing defense does to. The offense is predictable plain and simple

If Tyrod is under center and we have one WR wide, it is going to be a tolbert HB dive 100% of the time. As a viewer at home, I should not be able to diagnose an NFL offense. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo03 said:

I'm sorry we run A LOT on 1st and second down. You also have to think, how many times of the throws that are called on 1st and 2nd do you see a screen to Shady right down the line of scrimmage. That's basically the same thing as a run play. Why do you think we have so many 2nd and 12's, 2nd and 14's and all those long second and longs constantly? It's because we usually either run on first down and get stuffed for either no gain or a loss or we throw a straight line screen to Shady out of the backfield. Then on those second and longs, how many times have we seen them call a run play to Tolbert, only to get stuffed and end in 3rd and 13. Every week I can sit at home and know exactly what plays we are going to run on 1st and 2nd down from my couch and majority I am right. If I know that, you better believe the opposing defense does to. The offense is predictable plain and simple

Well the facts are that the last two weeks we have not run a lot on any down.  Your perception sitting on your couch might tell you we do.... the reality is the past two weeks we have been heavily pass oriented - a bad idea with a QB who the game plan has always focussed on hiding.  As for the throws to Shady at or near the line..... there are some called screens.  The first play from scrimmage yesterday was a called screen that was almost batted down and then there was a called screen conversion to Clay on 3rd and short.  And in fact last week one of the knocks was "why doesn't Dennison call more screens?" Because the majority of the other plays where Shady is catching it at or around the original line are not screens and they are NOT the play called.  They are checkdowns.  Checkdowns by a QB who despite holding the ball longer than almost any starter in the league can't see people open down the field or when he does isn't able to get the ball out fast enough to take advantage.  

I know the Saints were in prevent (as they were for Taylor's last 3 drives) but why do you suppose the throws close to the line disappeared when Peterman came in?  Because he ran the plays called and threw the ball on time.  This is a timing offense, always has been through Shanahan to Kubiak to Dennison.  It schemes people open if the ball is out when it should be.  The checkdown might be all that left if you miss those windows and don't throw the damn ball when you should.  

The Dennison hate is a distraction.  The offense is being sunk by terrible line play - hence the high percentage of runs that don't work.  Shady had one of the highest yards before first contact numbers last year and has one of the lowest this year.  The way you compensate for poor line play is you go to a more pass oriented offense that focuses on getting the ball out of the QBs hands.  That isn't an option for the Bills...... because Tyrod cannot run that type of offense.  

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Well the facts are that the last two weeks we have not run a lot on any down.  Your perception sitting on your couch might tell you we do.... the reality is the past two weeks we have been heavily pass oriented - a bad idea with a QB who the game plan has always focussed on hiding.  As for the throws to Shady at or near the line..... there are some called screens.  The first play from scrimmage yesterday was a called screen that was almost batted down and then there was a called screen conversion to Clay on 3rd and short.  And in fact last week one of the knocks was "why doesn't Dennison call more screens?" Because the majority of the other plays where Shady is catching it at or around the original line are not screens and they are NOT the play called.  They are checkdowns.  Checkdowns by a QB who despite holding the ball longer than almost any starter in the league can't see people open down the field or when he does isn't able to get the ball out fast enough to take advantage.  

I know the Saints were in prevent (as they were for Taylor's last 3 drives) but why do you suppose the throws close to the line disappeared when Peterman came in?  Because he ran the plays called and threw the ball on time.  This is a timing offense, always has been through Shanahan to Kubiak to Dennison.  It schemes people open if the ball is out when it should be.  The checkdown might be all that left if you miss those windows and don't throw the damn ball when you should.  

The Dennison hate is a distraction.  The offense is being sunk by terrible line play - hence the high percentage of runs that don't work.  Shady had one of the highest yards before first contact numbers last year and has one of the lowest this year.  The way you compensate for poor line play is you go to a more pass oriented offense that focuses on getting the ball out of the QBs hands.  That isn't an option for the Bills...... because Tyrod cannot run that type of offense.  

Also another thing to think about is, how many times have we still been running the ball when we're down by a bunch of points? Yesterday we were still running the ball when we were down 24-3 pinned back on our own 10 yard line. To say that it's not the system and not blame Dennison is ridiculous. 

Edited by Buffalo03

Dennison hate BECAUSE he has built a system that does not fit our players. Are we this dense? Can we not wrap that around our heads? This isn't what good organizations do. 

Just now, Buffalo03 said:

Also another thing to think about to think about is, how many times have we still been running the ball when we're down by a bunch of points? Yesterday we were still running the ball when we were down 24-3 pinned back on our own 10 yard line. To say that it's not the system and not blame Dennison is ridiculous. 

I am not saying Dennison is blameless. But he is at absolute worst our 4th biggest issue on offense.

1. Line

2. Lack of a proper #2 back

3. Quarterback

1 minute ago, Buffalo03 said:

Also another thing to think about is, how many times have we still been running the ball when we're down by a bunch of points? Yesterday we were still running the ball when we were down 24-3 pinned back on our own 10 yard line. To say that it's not the system and not blame Dennison is ridiculous. 

We ran the ball because our passing game does nothing.  Running the ball actually picks up more chunks yards with us because we severely limited in the passing game.

1 minute ago, Elite Poster said:

Dennison hate BECAUSE he has built a system that does not fit our players. Are we this dense? Can we not wrap that around our heads? This isn't what good organizations do. 

But that is not what he has built is what I am saying. As you would get if you read my posts. He has tried to get Tyrod out of the pocket as much as he can because he knows Tyrod can't run that offense. 

He is trying to run an offense that gets Tyrod out or on the move but the line is struggling and he isn't getting time to move, see the field and throw. What I am suggesting is the normal response to that is the quick pass, timing offense. But we can't run that because of Tyrod's limitations. 

With this line and this QB I don't know what you want him to call? A call sheet with a load of plays that don't require your line to sustain blocks or your Quarterback to get the ball out inside 2.5 seconds.... yea we all have one of those. 10 a penny those plays. 

Why are coordinators so bad at adjusting during games. The first drive things seemed to be working for TT but they either abandoned those ideas or the Saints made defensive adjustments. Either way Dennison should have been working out some alternate stuff with TT after the 3rd drive stalled.  Instead it was liking watching a fly try repeatedly to get out of a screen door, a lot of effort for nothing. We have a boring vanilla offense with a limited QB. We don't need Tom Brady here to try and mix it up. Throw in a reverse, some options. They didn't even try any jumpball 50/50s with Benjamin. Instead they did nothing and didn't change a thing. Absolutely stupid offensive coaching and decision making.

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not saying Dennison is blameless. But he is at absolute worst our 4th biggest issue on offense.

1. Line

2. Lack of a proper #2 back

3. Quarterback

The line had one extremely bad game which was against the Jets last week. Every other game they have been pretty decent and I wouldn't even say they were an issue yesterday.

The lack of a number 2 RB I'll give you but he should not be giving him carries on on 2nd and long. Or when we are down by 21 points. That is just being clueless in my opinion

QB I'll also give you. Tyrod is bad and doesn't know how to audible

I would say Dennison is probably 2nd on the list of offensive problems. The horrendous play calling in situations where he shouldn't be calling them is mind boggling. 

It's a combination of the scheme, the playcalling and lack of execution. Earlier in the season they were trying to fully work with Dennison's scheme and the run game went nowhere. After a few games, they sat down with the offense and went over things that have been effective for them over the past few seasons. They implemented some of those things and that was when the run game picked back up and they were at least efficient. Now they just look completely lost. I don't know if Dennison has started to install/use more of his scheme and has gotten away from the mix of plays/schemes they were using from the last couple seasons or what but it's been rough to watch over these last two games.

Not having the OL at 100% has hurt. Glenn has been in and out. Dawkins shows flashes but as a rookie he's going to be inconsistent. Richie isn't anywhere near 100%, I believe his ankle is limiting him and thus limiting his ability to pull and be a lead blocker. Wood seems to have stretches where he's consistent and does his job and then has lapses where he's getting walked back into the pocket or defenders are passing right by him. Miller was much improved in 2016 but this year, he's clearly not a fit for what they wanna do and Ducasse, while he is a better fit in terms of size and playing style, he's just not that good. Mills is Mills... he's actually had some decent games this year but as always he struggles with speed and defenders who have an extensive bag of pass rushing moves. 

And Taylor... well, he can do some things no other QBs (aside from Cam and Wilson) can do. He's capable of some "wow" plays a few times a game but aside from that, he simply cannot see over the line and has trouble finding the windows and lanes his height forces him to throw through. He is also not a consistent anticipatory thrower. He needs to see his guy open before he fires it. And when looking at the film, there are at least a handful of times per game where he's missed open receivers. They may not be "wide" open but they are open enough where the QB needs to get rid of the ball and give his receivers a chance to make a play. On top of that, this team is definitely missing the deep threat that Watkins provided. I'm not saying they're missing Watkins specifically, but they don't have any receivers that can get behind the defense. So no opponent has to bother dropping a safety deep. They can keep everything close to the line and bottle up the run, force Taylor to stay inside the pocket and dictate the game because they don't have to fear getting beat over the top. 

And for the love of Pete, I'm sure Mike Tolbert is a great dude, I know he's on this team because he's familiar with McDermott and because his attitude and team-first mentality is what they're looking for in their players. But the guy is just not a good #2 option behind McCoy. He isn't dynamic in any way, he's limited to runs only between the tackles and he should really never be used on swing screens because he just doesn't have the speed to get to the corner. We knew they wanted to rely on McCoy as much as possible but the guy isn't invincible and honestly they just need a better option to spell him than Tolbert.

So that's just the players. When it comes to Dennison, yeah I think it's fair to wonder how effective he can be as a playcaller when he's spent most of his career as an OC that didn't always call the plays. A 4th and 1 shovel pass to the fullback? Targeting Benjamin only three times, all on the first drive and then not even bothering to call his number again until garbage time? That's inexcusable. I know the dude hasn't been here long but this is football and he's a professional. At this point, they need to let him rely on his size and athleticism to make plays as opposed to waiting for him and Taylor to develop chemistry and timing. 

I said this in another thread and I'll repeat it here. There isn't enough creativity on either side of the ball right now. It's not a bad idea to run straightforward schemes that allow your players to line up and play fast. And I'm not saying they need to complicate things, but they need to try throwing caution to the wind a little bit and finding more creative ways to get their guys in position to make plays, simple as that. 

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But that is not what he has built is what I am saying. As you would get if you read my posts. He has tried to get Tyrod out of the pocket as much as he can because he knows Tyrod can't run that offense. 

He is trying to run an offense that gets Tyrod out or on the move but the line is struggling and he isn't getting time to move, see the field and throw. What I am suggesting is the normal response to that is the quick pass, timing offense. But we can't run that because of Tyrod's limitations. 

With this line and this QB I don't know what you want him to call? A call sheet with a load of plays that don't require your line to sustain blocks or your Quarterback to get the ball out inside 2.5 seconds.... yea we all have one of those. 10 a penny those plays. 

If you have tom brady, you don't run read-option's and bootlegs.  You're more comfortable with quick passes because he can diagnose the defense pre and post snap better than anyone.  

If you have TT, maybe you don't run anticipation timing routes.  Why play to your player's worst attributes?  Why not use read-option to get the defense moving horizontally, and adding some guess work.  Why not pass from shotgun more?  He has a better depth to avoid those batted balls, and he seems better at escaping pressure when he's in shotgun.  You can also do Run-pass options out of shotgun.  

Edited by dneveu

The line lost its battle again yesterday.  Not as brutally as against the Jets... Tyrod had sufficient plays where he had time to make throws yesterday but the line wasn't great.  How many times did we run it down by 21 points?  I did the maths last week.... we ran it 4 times after the point where the game was more than a 7 point game.  I am willing to guess it was about the same yesterday.  I have no problem with that as a %.  You are trying to stop the pass rush just pinning back its ears and coming every single down.  

1 minute ago, blacklabel said:

So that's just the players. When it comes to Dennison, yeah I think it's fair to wonder how effective he can be as a playcaller when he's spent most of his career as an OC that didn't always call the plays. A 4th and 1 shovel pass to the fullback? Targeting Benjamin only three times, all on the first drive and then not even bothering to call his number again until garbage time? That's inexcusable. I know the dude hasn't been here long but this is football and he's a professional. At this point, they need to let him rely on his size and athleticism to make plays as opposed to waiting for him and Taylor to develop chemistry and timing. 

The 4th and 1 play I will absolutely give you.  Terrible call.  Targeting KB I won't.  There is NO WAY his number was not called after the 1st drive and then suddenly was called again when Peterman came in.  His number was being called - the ball was not being thrown. Tyrod was standing there for 4 seconds looking lost then checking it down to Tolbert instead.  

28 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

The only system that fits our starting QB's skill set is Paul Johnson's Georgia Tech offense.

14 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I know for a fact the West Coast and Zone run scheme work in the NFL

I agree.  I think what's happening is that once the domino of figuring out how to neutralize TT, falls then the rest of the job for the defense is a piece of cake.  Dennison wants to run an offense, but TT runs a lot of sand lot ball.  You can't run a West Coast offense when you hold onto the ball for 5 seconds.

Edited by dubs

2 minutes ago, dubs said:

I agree.  I think what's happening is that once the domino of figuring out how to neutralize TT, falls then the rest of the job for the defense is a piece of cake.  Dennison wants to run an offense, but TT runs a lot of sand lot ball.  You can't run a West Coast offense when you hold onto the ball for 5 seconds.

Correct.  Hard to run West Coast when your QB holds it so long.  Hard to run improvisation when you o-line can't block for long enough.  Tough on any playcaller.  

The TT style worked better the past two year because the line was playing better.  Not just in its pass blocking but in its run blocking to put us in more 2nd and 3rd and manageable spots.  Dennison cannot be accused of forcing his scheme on the line, especially in the run game.  They have tried to incorporate more of what Roman did as the season has gone on, but at the end of the day the players have to make the blocks.  Dennison can't make them for them.  

15 hours ago, Perry Turtle said:

Why are you worried about what Mike Schopp says?  Beane and McDermott believe that Taylor is a starting NFL QB.  That's what we all should be worried about.

They started him this year instead of starting a rookie. He will not be the starting QB for long. I expect to trade some picks, draft a QB early and start him about mid-way through next season

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Correct.  Hard to run West Coast when your QB holds it so long.  Hard to run improvisation when you o-line can't block for long enough.  Tough on any playcaller.  

The TT style worked better the past two year because the line was playing better.  Not just in its pass blocking but in its run blocking to put us in more 2nd and 3rd and manageable spots.  Dennison cannot be accused of forcing his scheme on the line, especially in the run game.  They have tried to incorporate more of what Roman did as the season has gone on, but at the end of the day the players have to make the blocks.  Dennison can't make them for them.  

Right - but if based on certain formations and down/distance tendencies the defense knows what you are doing.  It becomes significantly more difficult to make said blocks.

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

Right - but if based on certain formations and down/distance tendencies the defense knows what you are doing.  It becomes significantly more difficult to make said blocks.

Indeed and I don't give Dennison a total pass by any means, but I think a few fans are wishfully thinking he is a bigger part of the problem than he is (and it has been proven by the misconception two weeks in a row from fans about how much we have run) because it makes it a quicker fix.  Fire Dennison and suddenly the Quarterback and the line are reborn.  I happen to think the truth is that there are much more fundamental issues on this offense.  I'd love it to just be Dennison, but as I said earlier I put him at worst 4th on the list of reasons.  

I agree, the use of personnel is a problem and agree with all the ones you sited.  But on the other hand, how do we know if its Dennison or McD who is making those personnel decisions?  So to absolve him of that is to make an assumption he has no hand in that, and I find that a stretch.  

I don't think in game McD is going over to Dennison and saying get Tolbert in there for McCoy and run a sweep.  I can see how McD may have say on certain guys starting, but in game use of personnel like Tolbert I think is more on Dennison than McD as he is calling the plays, and the plays usually dictate the personnel.  Its probably more of a shared issue, and again, I still think Dennison is making poor decisions in game in this regard.  

The moment I see fat Tolbert on the field, I am not gonna call a draw to him or screen pass to him on 3rd and 15.  So Dennison still shares in this responsibility, and probably mostly on him, in regards to in game personnel decisions in terms of use.  

I don't think he is and those 3rd and 15 screen are not the called plays.  Has he run a couple of conservative draws to Tolbert on 3rd down? Yep and I hate those plays they are waving the white flag.  But the reason it is Tolbert out there is because McD and Beane want him out there.  There is no question about that in my mind.... not "hey it's 1st and 10 put Mike in" but Shady signalling "I need a blow" after a screen on 1st down and then a 15 yard run for a 3 yard gain on 2nd down means they are down to their 2nd back and the reason they are down to Tolbert in that situation is because McD and Beane want him as the #2.  No question about that in my mind.  Most, but not all, of the plays I hate with Tolbert in there are when Shady has needed a blow or taken a nick and needs a play off.  

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Indeed and I don't give Dennison a total pass by any means, but I think a few fans are wishfully thinking he is a bigger part of the problem than he is (and it has been proven by the misconception two weeks in a row from fans about how much we have run) because it makes it a quicker fix.  Fire Dennison and suddenly the Quarterback and the line are reborn.  I happen to think the truth is that there are much more fundamental issues on this offense.  I'd love it to just be Dennison, but as I said earlier I put him at worst 4th on the list of reasons.  

I don't think he is and those 3rd and 15 screen are not the called plays.  Has he run a couple of conservative draws to Tolbert on 3rd down? Yep and I hate those plays they are waving the white flag.  But the reason it is Tolbert out there is because McD and Beane want him out there.  There is no question about that in my mind.... not "hey it's 1st and 10 put Mike in" but Shady signalling "I need a blow" after a screen on 1st down and then a 15 yard run for a 3 yard gain on 2nd down means they are down to their 2nd back and the reason they are down to Tolbert in that situation is because McD and Beane want him as the #2.  No question about that in my mind.  Most, but not all, of the plays I hate with Tolbert in there are when Shady has needed a blow or taken a nick and needs a play off.  

For me, Dennison is a guy who has very little benefit of the doubt with his underwhelming resume.  He reminds me of Hackett, just stubborn and predictable.  I havent been this mad in game at play calling since Hackett.  So I don't know man, I think he is doing a poor job and only seems to break his predictable and poor play calling when we are up against the clock.  

To be fair, there are plenty of times that the players on the field aren't helping him out either with poor execution.  Whether its the OL breaking down to much, bad penalties, bad dropped passes, TT not getting the ball out or to the right spot, etc.  But, at the same time I still see just poor coaching putting us in way too many 2nd/3rd and longs as well as way too much of our better players leaving the field for inferior ones.  Look at other teams...they feed their talent...I cant think of a game where we did that this year under Dennison.

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

For me, Dennison is a guy who has very little benefit of the doubt with his underwhelming resume.  He reminds me of Hackett, just stubborn and predictable.  I havent been this mad in game at play calling since Hackett.  So I don't know man, I think he is doing a poor job and only seems to break his predictable and poor play calling when we are up against the clock.  

To be fair, there are plenty of times that the players on the field aren't helping him out either with poor execution.  Whether its the OL breaking down to much, bad penalties, bad dropped passes, TT not getting the ball out or to the right spot, etc.  But, at the same time I still see just poor coaching putting us in way too many 2nd/3rd and longs as well as way too much of our better players leaving the field for inferior ones.  Look at other teams...they feed their talent...I cant think of a game where we did that this year under Dennison.

I don't think his play calling is great but I think it is right about average.  I thought he called an excellent game against Denver and a really good game against Oakland.  I don't think there was anything at all anyone could have done with the oline meltdown in the Meadowlands and while I think he was kinda average yesterday I think it's hard with poor blocking and poor Quarterback play.  Nobody has a call sheet that caters for both.  

I don't think his play calling is great but I think it is right about average.  I thought he called an excellent game against Denver and a really good game against Oakland.  I don't think there was anything at all anyone could have done with the oline meltdown in the Meadowlands and while I think he was kinda average yesterday I think it's hard with poor blocking and poor Quarterback play.  Nobody has a call sheet that caters for both.  

Well Denver and Oakland have shown to be no where near as good or a threat as once believed, so I am more concerned about the game plan against the better teams we have played where we look like a JV team at times.  

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Well Denver and Oakland have shown to be no where near as good or a threat as once believed, so I am more concerned about the game plan against the better teams we have played where we look like a JV team at times.  

Agreed, we do.  But I honestly think that is where our talent is at the moment Alpha sadly.  Our oline includes one guy I don't think should be in the NFL, two I think are borderline NFL players (though Dawkins is still a rookie and I am far from writing him off just there is a lot of inconsistency so far) and Richie and Eric are looking their age. You know my view on our Quarterback.  We have upgraded at receiver but our offense still lacks the overall talent to go and beat the best for me.  Whoever is calling the game.  How many really good teams did the Roman and Lynn offense really beat?  It was good at winning games we should win and never looked quite as horrible as we did in New York, but I don't think the talent on that side is what we need.  

Its not just offensive scheme, TT is not a great QB. He finally has a decent set of WRs to pass too and he is afraid to throw to anyone unless they are wide open. Sometimes you have to throw to a guy in coverage and let the WR make a play on it. Benjamin is one of the better WR making receptions in coverage and he was only targeted 3 times.

The worst play was when it was 14-3 and TT had a chance to throw it to Benjamin for a first down, he checked down and threw to McCoy for a 1 yard gain instead. That is not scheme, its bad QB play.

I was just checking numbers on a hunch and came across something interesting. Getting the ball into the playmakers hands at WR and RB are the bread and butter of sustainability in the NFL. All the rest QB scrambles, Reverses, TE Screens, dump offs etc. are not what an offense can exist on and be successful over the long haul with. SO.......

Guess how many yards receiving per game the Bills Wideouts are averaging? If you said 92.0 you'd be correct. Guess what the average of the  top 5  AFC teams is (PIT NE KC JAX TEN) thats's correct 155.1. Let's also check and see how many yards rushing the RBs are getting? the Bills are getting 85.8. Guess what the other 5 teams are averaging...108.1!!!!

I didn't check every team because of time. But, a team with this breakdown can't succeed long-term. This unit has almost as many problems as the defense.

8 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Its not just offensive scheme, TT is not a great QB. He finally has a decent set of WRs to pass too and he is afraid to throw to anyone unless they are wide open. Sometimes you have to throw to a guy in coverage and let the WR make a play on it. Benjamin is one of the better WR making receptions in coverage and he was only targeted 3 times.

The worst play was when it was 14-3 and TT had a chance to throw it to Benjamin for a first down, he checked down and threw to McCoy for a 1 yard gain instead. That is not scheme, its bad QB play.

We're generally worse than last years team in every statistical category.  One could say it almost has to be SOMEWHAT related to coaching... It's one of the more major offensive unit changes.  

For me, it’s a combination of things but I’m certainly not in love with the system. As Bill Belichick said last season, it’s the same exact offense as it was 15 years ago. Coaches like K. Shanahan and A. Reid have severely tweeked the WCO. Unfortunately Rico is not that guy. 

Dennison was not McDs first choice for an OC, it was Mike McCoy. McCoy is a much more adaptable OC. He’s had different offenses for Orton, Tebow, Manning and Rivers. 

I honslty hope hope he’s not around when the Bills draft a QB.