Is Shaq a bust?

Punt75

14 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Because those people acted like jerks?

Not a excuse.....and your acting like a jerk 90 percent of the time on this board so you getting what you give.

People dont have to be held down to opinions they have on players or the team.  

5 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

the problem is we have only been rushing four and getting no pressure. I think if the other guys were getting home people woudnt be so unhappy but the lack of pressure has made his lack of pass rush ability a bit more of a liability. I think he'd be way better off and better appreciated in a scheme that didn't rely so heavily on just their front four for pressure.

I have actually seen some situations where McD has sent a extra blitzer that is not getting there.......which in itself is a disturbing thing.

The pass rush thing is definately a problem......

44 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

Why is it you feel the need to pull posts back up and throw them in peoples faces?

People have opinions...opinions can change with time.  Who are you to judge?

If anyone needs to be called out for this, you're the last one who can say anything. You die by the sword for every watered down Kool aid Buffalo Bills nonsense available. 

If you don't want it thrown in your face don't say it and be wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, H2o said:

Shaq is basically a rookie. The thing he excels at in this point in time is setting the edge and playing the run really well. He wasn't drafted to be Von Miller. He will get you 8-10 sacks a year while being stout against the run though. That is far from a bust imo. 

Shaq will never hit 8 sacks in a season. It's not happening. Right now 100% of the sack responsibility will be on 55.

1 hour ago, Commonsense said:

"Sets the edge"

Lets see a raise of hands of folks that would pick up the 5th year option for Shaq. 

And the basis for that decision will be what they know 14 months from now...........it's not some far off decision and the clock is ticking.

If Benjamins option was $8M I guess Shaq's will be about $10M for year 5.

That's a lot for a non-pass rushing DL.

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I don't think he is a flat out bust.

But he profiles closer to what his Scouting Reports said - Courtney Upshaw with 5-8 sack range, verses a player like Joey Bosa, Vic Beasley, Von Miller, Justin Houston mold.

My take on draft day was that he would fall somewhere between Upshaw and Melvin Ingram for floor/ceiling.

As I said then, even if he eventually grew into a player like Ingram it's a tough call........because Ingram developed slowly and didn't really round into a really good player until late in his contract.   Basically in time to get overpaid.

But right now Shaq is many miles from Ingram.

As for Courtney Upshaw.....that's the closer comparison and Upshaw is like an extra offensive tackle on pass plays........he will be lucky to get 8 sacks in his CAREER.......he's six years in and has 6 sacks total.:lol:

Just now, just a guy said:

Has anyone else noticed that he lines up offside a lot, but it doesn't get called?

Possibly over drafted, possibly still trying to find his strengths in the NFL, probably too early to tell.

Actually, several times a game I turn to my son and say “his helmet is in the neutral zone...again.”  I thought it was just me seeing it wrong since he gets away with it so often. Sometimes you have a perfect view, and it seems indisputable. . 

9 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Whaley drafted for Wreck's defensive philosophy.  That said, I don't think Shaq is a bust, but a situational DE.

Agree. I actually think Lawson would be a good 3-4 DE where he has less rush responsibility than he does now.

Lawson and Washington at DE, Ragland at Sam. Mr Bug Stuff / Worthy at NT. Hughes and Alexander at OLB. You can start to see where things were headed.

Now I can actually see Lawson following Ragland out the door for another low round pick. Doesn’t really fit.

Edited by vincec
  • Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, just a guy said:

Has anyone else noticed that he lines up offside a lot, but it doesn't get called?

Possibly over drafted, possibly still trying to find his strengths in the NFL, probably too early to tell.

I've seen this on more than one occasion... he is also usually the last one off the ball...if the best we can expect if shaq is containing the edge on run plays, he likely will not see a second contract in buffalo imo

Edited by JaCrispy

7 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

I'll see you one higher. I imagine him traded to a 34 team. He would get a 4th round pick. First day of free agency is haul him out for a 4th. 

I don't know how many more hits they can withstand on the DL.

KW and Hughes could very well be gone this offseason as well and you never know what dumshit Adolphus can get himself into (if I had to guess....maybe he brandishes a weapon in presence of a transvestite hooker in his hotel room in San Diego where Ohio State is playing in the Holiday Bowl:devil:).

I hope they try Shaq inside if he doesn't miraculously find the pass rusher within.   Bankrupting your DL is generally no good. 

• Like (+1) 1

Doug Whaley:

Earlier in the night, Whaley added: "He walks in as a Day One starter, opposite Jerry Hughes. He can set the edge from the outside, he can rush speed-to-power, and that gives us two nice rushers off the edge.

We expect Shaq Lawson to come in and take over for Mario Williams

Again, I don't think the guy is a bust, but they definitely pictured him as a pass rusher not just an edge setter.  The guy was over drafted and you don't use your top draft pick just to set the edge on rushing plays.

Edited by Scott7975

21 minutes ago, vincec said:

Agree. I actually think Lawson would be a good 3-4 DE where he has less rush responsibility than he does now.

Lawson and Washington at DE, Ragland at Sam. Mr Bug Stuff / Worthy at NT. Hughes and Alexander at OLB. You can start to see where things were headed.

Now I can actually see Lawson following Ragland out the door for another low round pick. Doesn’t really fit.

I think ideally you want a longer athlete at DE in the 3-4.   Alex Carrington comes to mind.

Don't really buy the whole "Shaq was drafted to be a run-stuffing DE" narrative........Rex drafted him to be an immediate starter at strong side OLB and that's where he put him.......that position rushes the passer some in Rex Scheme.........maybe he subliminally drafted him to play 3-4 DE? ;)

Edited by BADOLBILZ