What do you think our draft needs are right now?

We need a big DL up the middle who can run block and pull double teams, be a pro bowler like oh ….

We need a speedy WR with good hands who can make great catches and go deep and on the outside, run good routes like oh ….

We need a good RB for a change up to McCoy like that guy in NE

We need another quality corner for special formations and for depth. If we can’t resign our rental CB, EJ, we will also need another starter at corner. Would have been nice to have a quality CB sewed up for another year or two at a low price

We need a right OL and a right OG, just like last year

We probably will need a Kyle replacement if he retires

We might be able to wait a year, but Richie is getting up there in age and need to think about grooming a replacement

We still need a Franchise QB like we have since oh, when we had that Kelly guy

We need pretty much quality depth at all positions ….

But hey we have all that “character” on our team and all that trust in the mysterious all mighty “process”

We are really going to need this draft to be very successful since we have 19 million in dead cap money that we can’t use to get talent in free agency

Lucky we have such an experienced veteran HC and GM to guide us through all this

22 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I didnt see the all 22 yet but Im not surprised. Zay played well. The Jets didnt have guys out there because they were in the backfield on every play!! I saw Darron Lee manhandle Cordy Glenn!! He has like 80 LBs on him!!

The point was that the scheme is totally irrelevant to the talent. You run a scheme that fits your talent not the other way around. To Dennisons credit, he has largely done that. Yesterday, however, was a nightmare.

Glenn getting manhandled was more frustrating than watching Mills and Ducasse look completely inept and lost. 

Sadly, we have a bunch of holes to fill and most will be determined on who we can resign and which free agents we bring in.  

Off the bat, I would love to see a premiere DT who gives a crap about playing taken in the first.  We need to replace Kyle soon and having an anchor in the middle of this D is vital.   Another DE, RB, OL in the first 3 rounds and if they think they have found the right QB then pull the trigger early.  That's 5 picks and the first 3 rounds right there. We can also use LB's and another CB early. When Gaines goes down, we get significantly weaker.  A top backup S would really help shore up the depth. 

I've said this in other threads, but I really think we need to focus on dominating the LOS.  Thoughts:

1. It's almost a fact that if you can dominate the battle at the LOS on both sides of the ball you're going to win a lot of games regardless of what else you have going on in your team. A great DL makes the secondary that much better; a great OL makes any RB and QB better. It's an undeniable truth. 

2. O-line:  Looking at the future there are a lot of question marks. Incognito is approaching 35yrs of age; love the guy, but that's old. Wood is also on the wrong side of 30, though we can maybe get another year or two out of him of solid production.  Mills is a backup, at best. Ducasse is a pile of garbage.  Glenn is the one shining star we have.  We may need to draft and/or sign 2 OL next season.  This is what I ideally want:  Glenn/Incognito/Wood/Dawkins/First round draft pick (with our 2nd first rounder) at RT.  If Incognito hangs them up then I want Glenn/Dawkins/Wood/Free agent/First round draft pick (with our 2nd first rounder) at RT.

3. D-line:  Jerry Hughes is an OK player. He's not the player he was 3-4 years ago though. We can't rely on just Hughes to bring pressure every week. Lawson is better at stopping the run than rushing the passer. We need an edge rusher to compliment Hughes on the other side. That edge rusher can rotate with Lawson depending on the situation. We also need a DT - KW is really starting to get up there in age and though I absolutely love him, reality is what it is (he's old). We need another DT in there if KW retires and/or to compliment KW next year in a rotation with A. Washington.

4. LB:  We need a field general to lead this defense for the next decade. I really can see McD drafting a LB high in next year's draft. His defense in Carolina had studs at LB and we're a bit lacking in this department.  I think our first overall pick is either going to be LB or DE, I really do.

Luckily, everything I mentioned up there can be done b/c we have so much draft capital.  The first 4 picks I see going as:

LB/DL/OL/DL.

Starting with the 3rd round we can start adding pieces at the RB position. I feel the 3rd round would be an excellent spot to land a RB to compliment Shady.  4th round and on would be great to add depth to the secondary and additional depth at the LB position.

We can address A LOT through the draft next season. I'm really excited. This doesn't even take into account the FA's we can bring in to sure up some other spots.

With the addition of Benjamin, I actually think we are set at WR. Benjamin/Matthews/Jones/Holmes is pretty solid at WR.  TE could be an upgrade but I'm curious to see how this Logan Thomas experiment will continue to progress this season.

Exciting times fellas.

With what we are looking to do, RG looks to be the biggest neeed.  Qb is always an option for the number 1 spot but I’m going to give tyrod the benefit of the doubt and wait til the end of the season to give an opinion on him

Taking Qb out of the equation, I think it should go 

RG- both Miller and Ducasse are bad.  Neither should be starting in the  CFL at this point.

DT-  part of the reason our pass rush sucks.  Need interior pressure and we aren’t getting any.  Jerry gets pressure and the QBs step right up and our DTs are nowhere to be found.  This defense needs a strong front 7 (front 4 especially)

MLB-  I’m an admitted Preston Brown hater.  For someone who plays as many snaps as he does,  I rarely ever see him “make a play”.  He’s around the ball (sometimes) but rarely makes the BIG play (the  tipped pass is all I remember this year.) and is a FA IIRC.  Wouldn’t want to pay him much.  

SLB-  Alexander is one of my favorite Billls.....but he can be a huge liability in coverage as we’ve seen.  Happy he’s on the team, but is a situational player and will be a year slower next season.

CB- Gaines is a free agent.  If resigned, I’d remove CB from the list.  If he’s not retained, this may move up the list.  I don’t think any of the other CBs are under contract next year, although I could be wrong.  

TE-  maybe a 1% chance clay plays in all 16 games.  His injury history makes it tough to count on him.  Every time he gets tackled and doesn’t jump right up I think his season is over.  Good player but next year might be his last as a bill.  This offense needs a dependable tight end.  I like O’Leary but as a backup only.

Rb-  shady needs an eventual replacement and currently needs a backup.  Tolbert is good in some instances but overall, I cringe when he gets the ball.  Almost had a heart attack when he got the carry on 1st and 2nd down on our 2nd possession (or was it our 1st possession).  

WR-  this position was way higher in the beginning of last week.  Matthews may walk! leaving us with Kelvin and Zay.  I’m ok with them being 1 and 2 for this team. Zay most likely being our #1 in due time.  I don’t think this regime will make WR a cornerstone position. That being said, we need a shot of speed.  Hopefully we can retain Thompson on the cheap again.  

Qb-  To be discussed as time goes on.  Tyrod has been good.  Hopefully Dennison just had a bad night bs the jets, he was the biggest problem paired terrible OL play.  To be fair to them though, I’m not sure if Bowles would have blitzed THAT much vs another team.  He forced us to beat them mid to deep and we didn’t challenge them

On 11/3/2017 at 10:04 AM, Kirby Jackson said:
On 11/3/2017 at 10:00 AM, joesixpack said:

LB.

LB is our primary need. Milano is good, and he can stay. But Alexander looks his age and brown...lul.

After that, OG/OT, QB, and RB.

Alexander looks done to me. Hes a great guy and leader but hes clearly a few steps slow. DT is the biggest need at the moment IMO. We could use an LB, OG, RB, speed WR & if the QB you like is there, take them.

Should we have paid ZB over LorAx?

On 11/3/2017 at 7:06 AM, MAJBobby said:

Really and you know this why??? I would love to see what the OC can do with a QB that can run his timing anticipation based WC offense

You again...shocker you are defending an OC whose accomplished very little in his career and blaming the head scratching play calls like draws to Tolbert on long downs on TT.  At least you are consistent in your biased assessments.  

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

With what we are looking to do, RG looks to be the biggest neeed.  Qb is always an option for the number 1 spot but I’m going to give tyrod the benefit of the doubt and wait til the end of the season to give an opinion on him

Taking Qb out of the equation, I think it should go 

RG- both Miller and Ducasse are bad.  Neither should be starting in the  CFL at this point.

DT-  part of the reason our pass rush sucks.  Need interior pressure and we aren’t getting any.  Jerry gets pressure and the QBs step right up and our DTs are nowhere to be found.  This defense needs a strong front 7 (front 4 especially)

MLB-  I’m an admitted Preston Brown hater.  For someone who plays as many snaps as he does,  I rarely ever see him “make a play”.  He’s around the ball (sometimes) but rarely makes the BIG play (the  tipped pass is all I remember this year.) and is a FA IIRC.  Wouldn’t want to pay him much.  

SLB-  Alexander is one of my favorite Billls.....but he can be a huge liability in coverage as we’ve seen.  Happy he’s on the team, but is a situational player and will be a year slower next season.

CB- Gaines is a free agent.  If resigned, I’d remove CB from the list.  If he’s not retained, this may move up the list.  I don’t think any of the other CBs are under contract next year, although I could be wrong.  

TE-  maybe a 1% chance clay plays in all 16 games.  His injury history makes it tough to count on him.  Every time he gets tackled and doesn’t jump right up I think his season is over.  Good player but next year might be his last as a bill.  This offense needs a dependable tight end.  I like O’Leary but as a backup only.

Rb-  shady needs an eventual replacement and currently needs a backup.  Tolbert is good in some instances but overall, I cringe when he gets the ball.  Almost had a heart attack when he got the carry on 1st and 2nd down on our 2nd possession (or was it our 1st possession).  

WR-  this position was way higher in the beginning of last week.  Matthews may walk! leaving us with Kelvin and Zay.  I’m ok with them being 1 and 2 for this team. Zay most likely being our #1 in due time.  I don’t think this regime will make WR a cornerstone position. That being said, we need a shot of speed.  Hopefully we can retain Thompson on the cheap again.  

Qb-  To be discussed as time goes on.  Tyrod has been good.  Hopefully Dennison just had a bad night bs the jets, he was the biggest problem paired terrible OL play.  To be fair to them though, I’m not sure if Bowles would have blitzed THAT much vs another team.  He forced us to beat them mid to deep and we didn’t challenge them

Good post...I think this is pretty in line with how I feel as well.