Trades that should happen: Cordy Glenn to Giants

Peace Frog

This was posted from Mike Sando at ESPN. Sorry but it is an Insider article and requires membership.

Timothy T. Ludwig-USA TODAY Sports

4hMike Sando
Trades that should happen: Cordy Glenn to Giants

Acquiring Glenn would let the Giants move current left tackle Ereck Flowers to the right side, while the Bills might prefer the Giants as a trading partner due to New York's poor record this season.

Your thoughts?

Update: found it. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/10/30/nfl-trade-deadline-players-teams-larry-fitzgerald-chiefs-cowboys-steelers/812211001/

Edited by Peace Frog

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2. Buffalo Bills trade left tackle Cordy Glenn to the New York Giants for 2018 second- and conditional-round picks.

The Seahawks remain a popular destination for left tackles in various trade scenarios, but the Giants could be a better partner. Their general manager, Jerry Reese, is in a desperate situation with his job on the line. Acquiring Glenn would let the Giants move current left tackle Ereck Flowers to the right side, his more natural position. The Giants would be upgrading two spots, which could have an exponential effect.

The Bills, meanwhile, might prefer the Giants to the Seahawks as a trading partner. Any 2018 picks received from the Giants figure to be higher in the order than picks they would receive from Seattle or another contending team. Buffalo already owns two picks in the first, second and third rounds of the 2018 draft. The team's ability to win after dumping high-priced talent suggests the issues in Buffalo were more cultural than driven by personnel deficiencies.

Buffalo might want a player in return, which could be tougher to pull off. Giants cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie comes to mind as a possibility, but introducing a disgruntled 31-year-old veteran into the Bills' reconfigured locker room might not make sense from a Bills perspective. The Bills might want younger players on rookie deals -- players more along the lines of, say, Dalvin Tomlinson or Wayne Gallman

"I don't see Buffalo letting Glenn go," an evaluator said. "You could argue that Glenn is a first-round talent at tackle, but he does have a big contract, and that factors into the value."

Personally I think he's clueless.

Even if the Bills were interested in dealing Glenn and the Giants were willing to deal, I don't think it would get done before the deadline. With the trades Mr. Beane has pulled off so far, I think we would win either way. Glenn stays and starts or we gain additional draft capital and cap savings.

Glenn for a high second or an older, disgruntled player? No bueno. We have enough draft picks the next two years to bring in plenty of talent.

Stupid teams trade a good to very good LT for draft picks. Cordy's contract is reasonable and it will only get better over time as contract inflation at the position inevitably occurs.

Re OP: ESPN is a mouthpiece for the Bristol Patriots*. I'm sure they think trading Glenn away is a trade that should happen.

Edited by Dr. Who

No chance. These large market commentators are looking at Buffalo like there is a fire sale going on. Watkins and Darby trades brought 2 players that better fit the culture and have been just as if not more productive than their counterparts plus a 2nd and 3rd. Daures has really been a mess for about 2 years. That was simply he is not the future of the franchise and is not a face of the team. They dumped him for the highest bidder, Albert Haynesworth 2.0. There is no coincidence that the running game has gone up a gear since he has been healthy.

... The team's ability to win after dumping high-priced talent suggests the issues in Buffalo were more cultural than driven by personnel deficiencies...
Personally I think he's clueless.

i would just like to make a small comment on this portion of the quoted material...

this to me seems to suggest that Whaley should maybe get just a little more credit than he has been given by this jaded fan base.

Edited by Foxx

i would just like to make a small comment on this portion of the quoted material...

this to me seems to suggest that Whaley should maybe get just a little more credit than he has been given by this jaded fan base.

...I have no problem giving Whaley credit........