Why are MNF ratings low this season?

CodeMonkey

MNF popularity  

203 members have voted

1. 1. What is the main reason for the decline in MNF ratings this season?

• Lack of interest in the teams playing.
    • General decrease in popularity of tackle football.
    • Anthem protests.
    • Other (post reason in topic)

1) Competition for viewers. Everyone is cordcutting and can watch whatever program they want at anytime. Most people have a backlog due to there being more content out there than time to view it.

The NFL is no longer a specialty on Monday nights because of this.

2) The NFL also needs to do a better job accommodating cord cutters. Many people just get internet and Netflix and call it a day. They need to a better job addressing this.

3) Oversaturation(thursday games)

4) Milking their customers. If I'm going to go out of my way to buy Sunday ticket do I really need to pay more for freaking preseason games? Also, registered season ticket holders should get Sunday ticket for free for away games.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a combination of factors. The overall viewership dip is most likely correlated to overall decrease in cable and satellite ownership. Now add in sloppy play on Thursday nights, and ugly matchups on Monday and their is a bit of a problem. When it comes to protesting and kneel i think there is also an effect. Those that are effected by people boycotting are those team with poor records. My father life long Browns fan and Vietnam veteran hasnt watch a game this year besides the game I took him to and another weekend I visited. Its enough of an issue where the NFL is in a bit of a panic over it.

1) Competition for viewers. Everyone is cordcutting and can watch whatever program they want at anytime. Most people have a backlog due to there being more content out there than time to view it.

2) The NFL also needs to do a better job accommodating cord cutters. Many people just get internet and Netflix and call it a day. They need to a better job addressing this.

4) Milking their customers. If I'm going to go out of my way to buy Sunday ticket do I really need to pay more for freaking preseason games? Also, registered season ticket holders should get Sunday ticket for free for away games.

That's the big one. Problem is they can't do anything about it, contracts are signed. Technically its not a real problem for the NFL because they are making more money then ever.

Anthem protests...?

Are you guys high? Or just brainwashed by your Friends and Fox?

That's more like it.

@SInow

NFL television viewership is down 7.5% compared to last season

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/10/18/nfl-television-ratings-decline

That overall decline is 7.5%, although Monday Night Football on ESPN is averaging just over 11 million viewers per game, up 6%.

and last year was down 8%, so that is a 15.5% loss in viewers in 2 years. wow.

Anthem protests...?

Are you guys high? Or just brainwashed by your Friends and Fox?

I personally know a number of people who used to watch football regularly, but no longer watch aside from an occasional game and in some cases not at all. One of the common themes they all sited is that they will not support a league with players who openly disrespect our country, our flag and our military. Is this really hard to believe? 2 of the people I mentioned are former military and both cancelled their Sunday ticket.

Are you really surprised that there are conservative Americans out there who take this seriously? If so, you aren't paying attention.

I am not saying that this is the ONLY reason by any stretch, but it is certainly a contributing factor.

Edited by buffaloboyinATL

Klos wasn't trying to make an analogy. He was simply refuting the comment that any other worker in any other workplace would be sacked for it. He wasn't saying his employees were the same as NFL players.

Thanks. I've been trying to make that point but nobody seems to want to hear my explanation. Similar to players saying they are not protesting to disrespect the military, but some people don't want to hear that either.

I personally know a number of people who used to watch football regularly, but no longer watch aside from an occasional game and in some cases not at all. One of the common themes they all sited is that they will not support a league with players who openly disrespect our country, our flag and our military. Is this really hard to believe? 2 of the people I mentioned are former military and both cancelled their Sunday ticket.

Are you really surprised that there are conservative Americans out there who take this seriously? If so, you aren't paying attention.

I am not saying that this is the ONLY reason by any stretch, but it is certainly a contributing factor.

Contributing to what? A 0.5% uptick in the year of year trend?

Sounds like you personally know a number of morons.

Contributing to what? A 0.5% uptick in the year of year trend?

First, this is a gross oversimplification; second, it is also reckless debasement of your fellow Americans.

Their reckless interpretation of the protests is a gross oversimplification of the plights of our fellow Americans--extra emphasis on the "simple."

I think everyone agrees that disparities exist. America was founded on equal opportunity not equality of outcomes. Most well known black athletes are more concerned with fatherless black children and point to that as the prime cause of disparity than any one other thing.

Edited by okbills

You know, I didn't think it was going to be an issue with guys not watching football because of the protests. But I actually know 3 families who aren't watching the games because of it. And all of them are Democrats. Turns out the Anthem thing crosses political lines in some cases. Of course these guys are more conservative than most Democrats too I guess.

I figured most people would blow it off as idiot players being idiots. It hit home hard with some though I guess. Harder than I would have guessed.

I just ignore the anthem thing and continue to stand, hat off, hand over heart. Some day those players will realize they went about this wrong. But then again, you can't fix stupid.

That's the big one. Problem is they can't do anything about it, contracts are signed. Technically its not a real problem for the NFL because they are making more money then ever.

Agreed. I don't have cable, and my TV viewing experience has improved tremendously. There's so much good stuff on Netflix and Hulu, all commercial free. It's too much to watch, and that's only 2 services. I went to my buddy's to watch Game of Thrones once a week.

Pro sports has not adjusted to the commercial free, "over the top" consumption model of modern streaming services. While I doubt we'll get to a point where live pro sports will eliminate spots, they need to figure out a way to either charge more for commercials and air less of them, or air longer commercial breaks but less net commercial time.

Something's gotta give. The sponsorships are brutal too. "This Toyota.com replay brought to you by Geico, 15 minutes could save you 15 percent or more on car insurance. Geico.com technology partners are brought to you by Sprint. Switch to Sprint and get a new iPhone! Details in store. That store brought to you by Target. Target run, and done!

I think everyone agrees that disparities exist. America was founded on equal opportunity not equality of outcomes. Most well known black athletes are more concerned with fatherless black children and point to that as a the prime cause of disparity than any one other thing.

And that's fine. But unless the folks now bravely protesting football because they falsely interpret a social protest as a protest against America that takes place during a ritual that they falsely believe to be a military one, unless those folks also protested the republican presidential candidate when he openly and indisputably ridiculed the parents of an actual fallen soldier, then those folks are either liars, hypocrites, stupid or all of the above. There's no two ways about it.

You know, I didn't think it was going to be an issue with guys not watching football because of the protests. But I actually know 3 families who aren't watching the games because of it. And all of them are Democrats. Turns out the Anthem thing crosses political lines in some cases. Of course these guys are more conservative than most Democrats too I guess.

I figured most people would blow it off as idiot players being idiots. It hit home hard with some though I guess. Harder than I would have guessed.

I just ignore the anthem thing and continue to stand, hat off, hand over heart. Some day those players will realize they went about this wrong. But then again, you can't fix stupid.

Were those families equally upset when the national anthem was co-opted (with full involvement from the league) with this cause: https://nflcommunications.com/Pages/NFL-Supports-National-Breast-Cancer-Awareness-Month-With-A-Crucial-Catch-Campaign.aspx?

Or is it just causes they'd rather ignore?

And that's fine. But unless the folks now bravely protesting football because they falsely interpret a social protest as a protest against America that takes place during a ritual that they falsely believe to be a military one, unless those folks also protested the republican presidential candidate when he openly and indisputably ridiculed the parents of an actual fallen soldier, then those folks are either liars, hypocrites, stupid or all of the above. There's no two ways about it.

It's best if we try to listen to each other and try to understand where each is coming from. That's the way to a proper resolution.

Edited by okbills

Were those families equally upset when the national anthem was co-opted (with full involvement from the league) with this cause: https://nflcommunications.com/Pages/NFL-Supports-National-Breast-Cancer-Awareness-Month-With-A-Crucial-Catch-Campaign.aspx?

Or is it just causes they'd rather ignore?

Don't know.

I can tell you that they are not military families though. I know 1 had a father who served during WWII. But that is as close as the military connection comes to my knowledge.

I guess it is up to each person to decide what causes they are most emotional about and/or care about the most. It's not up to you, eh?

I'd like to simplify this: two people yelling at each over some issue show they care about the issues. While there are better ways to do things than yelling, it at least shows people care enough to participate in a conversation. But when you start name calling you make them an enemy. That's just not healthy--for anyone who does it.

I'm not yelling at anyone. My voice is calm and direct when I say, "If you're protesting the NFL, you're either a hypocrite or you're a moron."

Save the kumbaya for when both sides agree to fight fair. Until then, the acknowledgment and validation of stupidity and hypocrisy has spiraled out of control over the last decade, and we've reached a point where it's time to call it what it is.

Don't know.

I can tell you that they are not military families though. I know 1 had a father who served during WWII. But that is as close as the military connection comes to my knowledge.

I guess it is up to each person to decide what causes they are most emotional about and/or care about the most. It's not up to you, eh?

Good point. A lot of people engage in stupid behavior without my permission.

I'm not yelling at anyone. My voice is calm and direct when I say, "If you're protesting the NFL, you're either a hypocrite or you're a moron."

Save the kumbaya for when both sides agree to fight fair. Until then, the acknowledgment and validation of stupidity and hypocrisy has spiraled out of control over the last decade, and we've reached a point where it's time to call it what it is.

Good point. A lot of people engage in stupid behavior without my permission.

Please take the time to explain what the beef is. I'm interested to know from your perspective.

Don't know.

I'd have to imagine it's more about the sport itself being politicized than the protests themselves. Football was a retreat from reality for many. Something that anyone could bond over regardless of other views on politics, religion, current events etc. Now that stuff has bled into football and it is no longer a retreat, so people are finding new things to fill that need.

My firsthand experience, though somewhat unrelated, is with college football. As a freshman at VT during the tragedy in 2007, I can tell you that while the whole experience brought us together as a community, it was also in the back of everyone's minds. There was suddenly a much more visible police presence around campus. Double doors now only had 1 handle so that they could not be chained closed. Little things, but things you noticed and encountered every day. Fall of sophomore year rolled around and still, it was that elephant in the room. Always on everyone's mind, but nobody wanted to talk about it. Until September 1, 2007. Opening day for VT Football. Lane Stadium was packed, Enter Sandman came on and everyone was jumping. It was electric. And it was the first time in nearly 5 months that nobody in Blacksburg was thinking about what happened in April. It was incredible. And that is the power of football, or at least it was.

Please take the time to explain what the beef is. I'm interested to know from your perspective.

Generally speaking? Intellectual dishonesty.

This is just a very specific manifestation.

People are boycotting the league because they believe that a critique of America is tantamount to "disrespect" and thus an infringement of America's and (I guess?) their own sensibilities. Elsewhere, this kind of behavior/response has been attached to the god forsaken millennial snow flakes we hear so much about.

So, even before we dive into the wildly off target interpretation of what's happening, before we even dive into the issue that's being highlighted in the first place, we have to stop and address how it's making people feel when they should otherwise be unencumbered for a Sunday's worth of football (of all things).

This behavior is largely un-tolerated by the ilk now engaging in it.

Again, this is before we even get into the particulars of how they're interpreting what's happening in the first place.

That means we're left with two ways to interpret their choice to boycott: stupid (not actually based on something happening) or hypocritical (not consistent with other believes they're likely to espouse).

And generally speaking, that's the refrain we're seeing all over the place in our present (topsy turvy) environment and it leads back to one simple concept that's at the heart of it all, ripping common sense and decency to shreds: intellectual dishonesty.

Viewership has been going down for the past several years. I think the most recent drop off is from the whole anthem thing, but before that I think it has been a combination of the lack luster match ups and the fact that the game is on so late. Most if not all of the viewers have to get up in the morning for work. I for one do not want to go to bed at midnight or later (sometimes) when I am getting up at 5 AM for work, I have enough trouble getting enough sleep. If the games started at 7 PM i think you would get some viewers back.

I have to agree with a few other posters that mentioned the commentators. Over the years there have been some really bad groups and it drove some people away. Though I do have to say I am a bit surprised by Romo as a play analyst. His voice can be a bit annoying at times but as an analyst he's been pretty good. I would like to see it go back to ABC though. I have never really been a fan of ESPN.

I'd have to imagine it's more about the sport itself being politicized than the protests themselves. Football was a retreat from reality for many. Something that anyone could bond over regardless of other views on politics, religion, current events etc. Now that stuff has bled into football and it is no longer a retreat, so people are finding new things to fill that need.

You are probably right about that.

I also wish that politics were left out of the sport.

I blame the media mostly for making more of an issue out of it than it needed to be. - As they often do. Their goal is to get people's jack up so that people pay attention. And they do that at the expense of common sense and at the expense of what is the common good. My opinion of course.

Because everyone from the ages of 16-30 who can't afford cable stream it online. I personally know my son and all his friends do it. I don't blame him, he tried to purchase Sunday ticket but was told he couldn't because direct TV wanted him to order cable because his complex is a provider for it. He doesn't want cable, he just wants football.

This^

Cable prices are stupid and most of the time, I don't watch cable. I watch Netflix because its way cheaper

I think anyone dismissing the Anthem issues as a reason is extremely naive.

The percentage of people actively protesting the league may not be that great, but there were a lot of casual fans who were turned off and found other things to do.

I can't remember the last time I watched ESPN or NFL Network or any pre game show on Fox, NBC, or CBS.

I get all my highlights online. I get everything online.

It's simply just people are watching differently. No major story here, although creating a major story sells.

It's not an NFL problem, it's an entire TV problem. Cable companies losing subscribers everyday.

Redzone channel is the best way to watch IMO. Also watch that though the app.

Personally, I don't like the red zone channel. I want to watch a game, not a disconnected series of plays and highlights. I like the strategy, seeing the alignments, feeling the flow of the game.

But, maybe this is a large part of the issue. Today's kids ....yeah.. I'm old enough to say that now :( ...don't seem to have the ability to concentrate on a single 3+ hour game.

A bit of both?

random thought -----

Do all the people complaining about the anthem stand up at home when watching / listening to the anthem?

lol - I often have the same thought, I'm guessing most are getting their food, beers, last bathroom break, etc.

Hell, I've been to enough Bills games where FANS won't shut-up for the anthem - no one seemed too bothered by them...

I think anyone dismissing the Anthem issues as a reason is extremely naive.

The percentage of people actively protesting the league may not be that great, but there were a lot of casual fans who were turned off and found other things to do.

Yeah a few people know like a guy or two.

Personally, I don't like the red zone channel. I want to watch a game, not a disconnected series of plays and highlights. I like the strategy, seeing the alignments, feeling the flow of the game.

But, maybe this is a large part of the issue. Today's kids ....yeah.. I'm old enough to say that now :( ...don't seem to have the ability to concentrate on a single 3+ hour game.

Meh. Perhaps this is the CBS/Buffalo D list NFL treatment, but they rarely show alignments, coverages, hell you rarely get replays during Bills' TV broadcasts. Especially on critical 3rd down stops, or a questionable penalty that extends a drive, etc. I'd rather them cut to a game that's interesting. One could argue 1:00 PM redzone is TOO intense, fast-paced, because it's constant action, no replays, no challenges, no injuries, no penalties, etc.

Severe injuries appear to be an every-play occurrence, allowing for more vamping from the also-ran uninteresting fluff CBS crew.

"Great stuff Steve, let's go down to attractive blonde lady on the sidelines" Attractive blonde lady asks milquetoast, generic questions that offer no insight to the game or plays at hand, she nods accordingly to every boring thing football coach X says, and its "back to you guys." "Thanks Suzie! That halftime report brought to you by Geico..."

Or just the lack of any interesting thing from color analysts too. Bills are 4th and 2 down 9 with 11:00 to go 4th quarter on +43, "oh, well they HAVE to punt this here, there's no way you go for it this early.." "Right you are Rich, punt the ball, put it in the hands of your defense to get a stop and try to win the game." UGHH.

And the MNF guys are no exception. You've got Gruden, who has a very small sample size of any NFL coaching success, devolve into some obtuse parody of himself. "I'll tell ya right here man, ya go X y stick z yellow stick y banana cumquad on 3, right there man"

It sounds super cool on television, but it's literally just an unintelligible garble of nonsense. That COULD be a football play, or it could just be a bunch of random gobbledygook. But SUPER BOWL WINNING COACH Jon Gruden said it, so OK.

Not morons, just people who stand by their convictions. I am not saying I personally agree with their decisions, after all I am still rooting for the Bills and watching games, but I do not judge them for their decisions.

People are boycotting the league because they believe that a critique of America is tantamount to "disrespect" and thus an infringement of America's and (I guess?) their own sensibilities. Elsewhere, this kind of behavior/response has been attached to the god forsaken millennial snow flakes we hear so much about.

So, even before we dive into the wildly off target interpretation of what's happening, before we even dive into the issue that's being highlighted in the first place, we have to stop and address how it's making people feel when they should otherwise be unencumbered for a Sunday's worth of football (of all things).

This behavior is largely un-tolerated by the ilk now engaging in it.

I disagree with you here. The conservatives in question are making an independent choice to not watch football anymore because of behavior that they deem offensive. The "snowflake" mentality, as you describe it, is to try and force their ideals on other people. For example: this book, flag, statue etc., offends me and therefore it should be banned forever and NO-ONE should be allowed to read it of see it ever again. There is a big difference there. (I know we are delving into PPP territory here, sorry)

That is the difference to me. I respect someone who makes the choice for themselves without insisting that everyone has to follow suit. If you don't like it, don't watch it, but don't be mad at me if I do.

Just guessing: I think fans are still loyal to their particular teams.

But I think fans may be less enthralled by the league in general because of the many negative things the NFL has had happen or allowed to happen, or flat out did on purpose.

So a fan will watch their own team, but is less likely to watch two teams play that they have no particular loyalty to.

Their reckless interpretation of the protests is a gross oversimplification of the plights of our fellow Americans--extra emphasis on the "simple."

the recklessness is calling them protests. Dumby

Yeah a few people know like a guy or two.

this is also a bogus thing, and this is your opinion and feeling. And I would imagine based on your political leanings that I've seen before that you want to excuse this all as nothing more than poppycock. But it is more than that and you are naive yourself not to see that

#1 - digital streaming/ cord cutting

#2 - nfl game pass (can watch later in 40 minutes, not 3 hours) shortened attention spans. eliminate endless commercials.

#3- Red Zone - had my fill of football before a full night game

#4- MNF is not the marquee weekly matchup or the only night game. competes with Sunday & Thursday nights

#5 - a deluge of alternate content

#6 - more interest in Fantasy stats vs whole games

GOOD NEWS - The ratings, while down, are still pretty much the highest on TV

Not morons, just people who stand by their convictions. I am not saying I personally agree with their decisions, after all I am still rooting for the Bills and watching games, but I do not judge them for their decisions.

I disagree with you here. The conservatives in question are making an independent choice to not watch football anymore because of behavior that they deem offensive. The "snowflake" mentality, as you describe it, is to try and force their ideals on other people. For example: this book, flag, statue etc., offends me and therefore it should be banned forever and NO-ONE should be allowed to read it of see it ever again. There is a big difference there. (I know we are delving into PPP territory here, sorry)

That is the difference to me. I respect someone who makes the choice for themselves without insisting that everyone has to follow suit. If you don't like it, don't watch it, but don't be mad at me if I do.

To me, standing by empty convictions is moronic behavior.

And I'll entertain your point about forcing others vs. disengaging oneself, that's well made. And may be people are engaging in their boycott that way...but not those calling for players to be benched/fined/fired/singled-out by the president, those are all trappings of your (not inaccurate) depiction of snow flake behavior.

the recklessness is calling them protests. Dumby

this is also a bogus thing, and this is your opinion and feeling. And I would imagine based on your political leanings that I've seen before that you want to excuse this all as nothing more than poppycock. But it is more than that and you are naive yourself not to see that

that's true, i actually don't know who labeled them "protests" to begin with. also a point worth entertaining.

the second part is a critique of sacred behavior online: snarkiness, and i simply won't have that. also, many a false assumption about my political leanings have been made here and [elsewhere]. nothing new.

To me, standing by empty convictions is moronic behavior.

And I'll entertain your point about forcing others vs. disengaging oneself, that's well made. And may be people are engaging in their boycott that way...but not those calling for players to be benched/fined/fired/singled-out by the president, those are all trappings of your (not inaccurate) depiction of snow flake behavior.

that's true, i actually don't know who labeled them "protests" to begin with. also a point worth entertaining.

the second part is a critique of sacred behavior online: snarkiness, and i simply won't have that. also, many a false assumption about my political leanings have been made here and [elsewhere]. nothing new.

#feelings