Kyle Williams' play in 2017

YoloinOhio

I've seen a few posters mention that they think Kyle hasn't played well this year and insinuating he's looking close to "done." I haven't noticed this but I'm just watching the broadcast. Haven't seen any media references to this. Does anyone think he is playing well or is this the general consensus?

Edited by YoloinOhio

Yeah, those 65 rushing yards they gave up to the Bengals show how over-matched the interior D-line was...

He was on his back for a lot of the game. Please watch OBJECTIVELY. Missed yet another tackle on a crucial third down (just like last year's bengal game) and had a really bad penalty on a third down.

Bengals game was by far his worst this year. He played really well against the Jets and did ok vs the broncos.

Right now, his effort and heart are making up for him losing a step.

Edited by Elite Poster

I worry that, like Big Ben, he was somewhat retired in his own mind and was talked into coming back. I think he knew where he was in terms of playing level. I know he gives it all mentally and from a leadership standpoint. Will be tough to replace.

In the words of Deep Voice "YEAH!!!"

He was on his back for a lot of the game. Please watch OBJECTIVELY. Missed yet another tackle on a crucial third down (just like last year's bengal game) and had a really bad penalty on a third down.

I'm not going to jump off the cliff over a missed tackle or a bogus defensive holding call (how many times has a DT ever had that called). The interior DL kept the middle clogged and Dalton was forced to scramble multiple times to the outside. The fact Dalton was able to make plays on the run (and TT couldn't) was a big part of that win.

After a loss, it's a hoot how bad the players all become in the eyes of TSW...

(Figures you're a March 2017 as well)

Edited by Lurker

He signed up to be here but honestly deserved better than playing his career in the football abyss that is Buffalo.

He is a hero in Buffalo. Not all of the greats are in teams that win. How many chump Dline men have rings and will be forgotten?

I've seen a few posters mention that they think Kyle hasn't played well this year and insinuating he's looking close to "done." I haven't noticed this but I'm just watching the broadcast. Haven't seen any media references to this. Does anyone think he is playing well or is this the general consensus?

Fear not........I am told it's a young team so it must be the young players around him bringing him down. :flirt:

it just seems like he hasn;t been getting as much penetration as he usually does.

The design of this defense may also have something to do with that. The DTs may have more responsibility over gap control and staying in a lane than in the past when they could freelance more. That may be working againt Dareus as well.

Kyle's pass rush strength has always been shooting a gap and beating his man inside. But that occasionally left huge rush lanes when he guessed wrong and essentially resulted in a boom-bust play. It seems like the pass rush this year is predicated on clogging the middle and letting the ends apply the pressure...

I don't think he's played badly or anything. I think he's been a little less consistent than he has in the past.

I wrote this long piece last year on his play in the first half of 2016, might bring up the coaches film and compare/contrast to that.

Edited by Blokestradamus

The design of this defense may also have something to do with that. The DTs may have more responsibility over gap control and staying in a lane than in the past when they could freelance more. That may be working againt Dareus as well.

Kyle's pass rush strength has always been shooting a gap and beating his man inside. But that occasionally left huge rush lanes when he guessed wrong and essentially resulted in a boom-bust play. It seems like the pass rush this year is predicated on clogging the middle and letting the ends apply the pressure...

True, you may certainly be right

At least so far, I'm not sure this is one of Williams better seasons but I do believe this is his if final year in Buffalo especially if this latest fast start fizzles out and we aren't in the playoffs again which at this point I believe is where things are heading.

Just sad that we could never make the playoffs at least once during his great career here in Buffalo but that's how bad the last 17 years have truly been.

DTs can get sacks in the McDermott system, though. Kawaan Short had 11 sacks from the DT spot in 2015.

Williams is hardly an embarrassment out there, but whereas he was a genunine difference-making playmaker in the past, I haven't seen that at all this season.

DTs can get sacks in the McDermott system, though. Kawaan Short had 11 sacks from the DT spot in 2015.

Williams is hardly an embarrassment out there, but whereas he was a genunine difference-making playmaker in the past, I haven't seen that at all this season.

Kyle's averaged 4.3 sacks per season over his career (41.5 in 156 games), so I'm not sure why people think he's a sack master. His best year was 10.5 in 2013. After that, the best was 5.5 in 2010:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WillKy20.htm

He remains a solid contributor in my opinion, with his Denver game being his best performance in several years. He was a difference maker in that game, especially on the final toss by Siemian that went incomplete because Kyle blew up the pocket.

Of the multitude of issues this team faces, KW is near the bottom of the list IMO...

I'm not going to jump off the cliff over a missed tackle or a bogus defensive holding call (how many times has a DT ever had that called). The interior DL kept the middle clogged and Dalton was forced to scramble multiple times to the outside. The fact Dalton was able to make plays on the run (and TT couldn't) was a big part of that win.

After a loss, it's a hoot how bad the players all become in the eyes of TSW...

(Figures you're a March 2017 as well)

OBJECTIVELY speaking, he has not been one of our best players on defense. Good, fine, but not great.

Don't get too emotional over that simple fact. Trust me, March 2017 is more likely going to be "Kyle is the greatest DT of all time because he's relatable!!!!!! Your a hater!!!!!".

Edited by Elite Poster

Kyle's averaged 4.3 sacks per season over his career (41.5 in 156 games), so I'm not sure why people think he's a sack master. His best year was 10.5 in 2013. After that, the best was 5.5 in 2010:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WillKy20.htm

He remains a solid contributor in my opinion, with his Denver game being his best performance in several years. He was a difference maker in that game, especially on the final toss by Siemian that went incomplete because Kyle blew up the pocket.

Of the multitude of issues this team faces, KW is near the bottom of the list IMO...

He's solid, but he's just not the penetrator of yore. Not sure if that's scheme or him.

From my amateur eye Kyle has been pretty good overall. He still requires a double team to get him off the line and even sometimes a double team isn't overpowering him. He is a step removed from the dominant force he used to be but dam he can still play at a very high level at least that's what I see.

He is an average NFL starting DT and will be replaced after this season. I think he'll retire after this one. He doesn't want his career to end as a bench warmer. He will be greatly missed.

I can't see him playing beyond 2017, I still think he is a good player but it seems like his play will decline if he continues to play. No reason to put your body through 1-2 more brutal NFL seasons to be an average or below average player.