Activate PS, WR and or TRADE, Thoughts?

Gamache518

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Next man up whether that be PS, guy coming back from injury, doesn't matter, players get hurt all the time, if it isn't next man up then what the hell is the next man doing on our team at all? A trade makes zero sense at this point considering he'll have to learn the PB and work with the QB and it will take usually a week or 2 to gel at least.

it'll be next man up. once you're in-season, personnel changes are pretty minimal... he's only out 3 games. welcome to the NFL

Sal Capaccio said yesterday morning on WGR that once a guy is signed to the 53 they get 3 game checks anyway so it probably makes the most sense to just bring up Reilly or Dupre. With the bye week, Matthews might only miss 3 games so that kind of works out

At this stage I wouldn't make a move to obtain a WR from outside the organization if he didn't fit the teams long term needs. Odds are you would get more production from the PS candidates who are familiar with the system than the external options that would take weeks before they even begin to get acclimated with the offense.

Reilly, Philly or Powell all likely. Don't know much about Dupre.

With this admin I feel like a trade is always a question of "relative value." If they could get the wide receiver equivalent of EJ Gaines for a pick I could see them doing it (a young, good character talent who they would want now and in the future - not a rental). But it likely would not be a player with a current high profile.

We presently have a group of WRs that is marginally talented at best. Zay has been what could be called "marginal at best". But he is a rookie, so he gets a pass for a year before he can be labeled "a bust". We hope the light does come on for him.

The Bills coaching staff feels these WRs are the most talented players they can put on the field. They beat out the players on our PS, so the coaching staff feels they are even inferior to even the marginally talented players we already have at starters. And the coaching staff feels those inferior players are better than the players available on the 30+ other team's PS in the NFL, or they would have poached them already.

Getting a player from your own, or another team's PS means you are getting a player you feel is even more marginally talented than the players on our active roster, one of the worst WR rosters in the NFL today. That does not make the team better, or replace the only proven talented player we had on our WR roster.

Signing a FA or a trade is the only way you can improve on one of the worst WR rosters in the league. And the FA pickings are pretty slim. If I were the Bills, I would be figuring out exactly what it would take to convince one of our own, Boldin, to unretire. At 3-1, it might be more attractive to him than he expected. And if he plays 3 or 4 games and decides to again retire, he will be a competent replacement while Matthews recuperates.

Edited by simpleman

Reilly, Philly or Powell all likely. Don't know much about Dupre.

With this admin I feel like a trade is always a question of "relative value." If they could get the wide receiver equivalent of EJ Gaines for a pick I could see them doing it (a young, good character talent who they would want now and in the future - not a rental). But it likely would not be a player with a current high profile.

Powell was released yesterday

We presently have a group of WRs that is marginally talented at best. Zay has been what could be called "marginal at best". But he is a rookie, so he gets a pass for a year before he can be labeled "a bust". We hope the light does come on for him.

The Bills coaching staff feels these WRs are the most talented players they can put on the field. They beat out the players on our PS, so the coaching staff feels they are even inferior to even the marginally talented players we already have at starters. And the coaching staff feels those inferior players are better than the players available on the 30+ other team's PS in the NFL, or they would have poached them already.

Getting a player from your own, or another team's PS means you are getting a player you feel is even more marginally talented than the players on our active roster, one of the worst WR rosters in the NFL today. That does not make the team better, or replace the only proven talented player we had on our WR roster.

Signing a FA or a trade is the only way you can improve on one of the worst WR rosters in the league. And the FA pickings are pretty slim. If I were the Bills, I would be figuring out exactly what it would take to convince one of our own, Boldin, to unretire. At 3-1, it might be more attractive to him than he expected. And if he plays 3 or 4 games and decides to again retire, he will be a competent replacement while Matthews recuperates.

He just needs to catch the ball..he is getting open

Just ignore it if you dont like it, no?

As for me, I would be interested in seeing Powell re-signed.

Correctamundo. As for the question theyll promote from within IMO. Donald Jones felt a guy off the street would probably be pretty limited in the routes he could initially run. I get the feeling this coaching staff is not only big on continuity but wants to reward the guys who are busting their butts on the practice squad waiting for their chance.

He just needs to catch the ball..he is getting open

Perfect time for Zay to step it up.

Bring Reilly up. That's all they need to do for WR right now. Matthews will be back in a month.

Is Matthews going to be just fine after thumb surgery? Is he worth waiting around for?

In my opinion, we should be exploring WR options even if Matthews didn't get hurt. It's weird that this staff almost seems to disregard the position, and its importance.

The way Mcdermott does things I would not be surprised if this week they work Reilly and Dupree into the rotation and see which player earns it, Whichever guy shows enough is getting activated Saturday.

My thoughts too. McD is so process oriented that he wants someone who is familiar with the system and can rotate in. The PS guys know what is happening and they probably don't want a vet coming in looking for a paycheck unless they are 100% bought into the system and coaches. mcD is clearing out the dead wood and won't bring more in,

I hope that they do explore options on a trade for a veteran receiver. They don't need to go crazy trading a high round pick for a high impact player, but I think it sends a good message and it helps the team out if they bring in a decent vet receiver for a mid to late round pick. I think the Giants are a logical trade partner. They have a lot of talent at the receiver position and are 0-4. Maybe they are willing to part with Brandon Marshall for a 4th or 5th round pick. That's the kind of trade I would be targeting.

Next man up whether that be PS, guy coming back from injury, doesn't matter, players get hurt all the time, if it isn't next man up then what the hell is the next man doing on our team at all? A trade makes zero sense at this point considering he'll have to learn the PB and work with the QB and it will take usually a week or 2 to gel at least.

Next man up is fine if you have good depth. Why does a trade for a good WR make zero sense? There are three quarters of the season left to play.